Jump to content
The Political Lounge

Pelosi stepping down as a leader


vcczar
 Share

Recommended Posts

My history observing Nancy Pelosi has been kind of mixed. While I did prefer her as Speaker to a GOP Speaker, she was just too establishment--too cautious--for the kind of leader I prefer. I tend to seek some sort of person with big ideas, someone like Newt Gingrich but Democrat. 

That said, I found her handling of Trump during his administration quite admirable. She skillfully orchestrated the 2018 Blue Wave and the helped in converting the 2022 from a possible Red Wave into a Red Drop. 

History will remember her as not just the first woman Speaker but also as one of the major Speakers in history. I'd argue she's the most important since Gingrich. I hope the next Democratic Speaker will be equal as a strategist but more bold in ideas. 

It will be interesting who Democrats select to replace he as she's sort of been this figure--sort of like Hillary Clinton, McConnell, or Trump--who is a kind of lightning rod for the opposition. One just has to put her face in an ad and it's rouses Republicans to vote. Will the next Speaker be the same? They could pick someone really classy and likable and authentic. That would deflate some opposition. 

I got a feeling it could be someone like Hakeem Jeffries. 

 

About that photo: Trump, Pelosi clash amid impeachment | AP News

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Speaker Pelosi was without a doubt one of the most powerful House Speakers of recent memory - and indeed, maybe American history. On knife-edge numbers, she skillfully wielded power and got everything to the finish line. The line "she'll never bring anything to the floor that won't pass" wasn't just a saying - it was truth. I'd argue she was more powerful than Gingrich for sure, and as deft at counting votes as some of the best speakers of the US. She'll never be extremely popular due to the nature of the job itself, but she served this country admirably and for many years. Below is a tweet I saw earlier that showed it crystal clear why she was so effective. She understood that she didn't have to be popular - she didn't want to be. Pelosi told her colleagues to attack her on the stump if it helped their re-election. I'm glad she's been our House Democratic leader for years and hope whoever fills her shoes can step into them with time. 

ImageAnd

And an article about how she saved Obamacare when everyone else was ready to give up: https://theintercept.com/2018/11/20/nancy-pelosi-obamacare-democrats/. Truly a Democratic powerhouse like no other in recent memory.

Edited by Hestia
  • Like 1
  • Based 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Hestia said:

Speaker Pelosi was without a doubt one of the most powerful House Speakers of recent memory - and indeed, maybe American history. On knife-edge numbers, she skillfully wielded power and got everything to the finish line. The line "she'll never bring anything to the floor that won't pass" wasn't just a saying - it was truth. I'd argue she was more powerful than Gingrich for sure, and as deft at counting votes as some of the best speakers of the US. She'll never be extremely popular due to the nature of the job itself, but she served this country admirably and for many years. Below is a tweet I saw earlier that showed it crystal clear why she was so effective. She understood that she didn't have to be popular - she didn't want to be. Pelosi told her colleagues to attack her on the stump if it helped their re-election. I'm glad she's been our House Democratic leader for years and hope whoever fills her shoes can step into them with time. 

ImageAnd

And an article about how she saved Obamacare when everyone else was ready to give up: https://theintercept.com/2018/11/20/nancy-pelosi-obamacare-democrats/. Truly a Democratic powerhouse like no other in recent memory.

Thanks for sharing!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seems as though the chosen leaders are Jeffries, Kathy Clark, and Pete Aguilar. Democrats from NY, CT, and CA respectively. You know, I wish that once, just once, Democrats would pick leadership that didn't just scream coastal elite. Why not throw Michigan or Colorado Dems a bone after their performance this year? I just don't get it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Rezi said:

Seems as though the chosen leaders are Jeffries, Kathy Clark, and Pete Aguilar. Democrats from NY, CT, and CA respectively. You know, I wish that once, just once, Democrats would pick leadership that didn't just scream coastal elite. Why not throw Michigan or Colorado Dems a bone after their performance this year? I just don't get it.

I agree. I think they pick these places because 1) they can do their leadership jobs and not have to worry about losing an election and 2) these are typically major fundraising centers. 

For election purposes, I’d like to see TX, FL, and GA in the leadership. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

I agree. I think they pick these places because 1) they can do their leadership jobs and not have to worry about losing an election and 2) these are typically major fundraising centers. 

For election purposes, I’d like to see TX, FL, and GA in the leadership. 

Democrats did handsomely statewide in PA. I would go with a notable PA Dem if there are any

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...