The Political Lounge

Phil Scott is an electoral GOD

Zenobiyl

10 hours ago, Zenobiyl said:

Wins in 2016 by about 8%

Wins by 15% two years later in a blue wave as a GOP governor

Two years after that he wins by 41% while Biden landslides in the state.

Now, another two years later, he wins by 47%!!! [71%-24%]

Phil Scott has won the biggest landslide for a Vermont governor since the 90s, and that’s as a Republican. His democratic opponent this year got less than a quarter of the vote. At this point Vermont’s governor position is Phil Scott’s for as long as he wants it, and his performance this year is on par with Republicans in Wyoming and Idaho (lmao).

How is Phil Scott such an electoral GOD?

Fun thing is that Vermont now has three different parties elected to statewide positions (never has before) D-R-I

• Thanks 1
  • Based 1

Hard to believe that Scott only entered office in 2016, for some reason it feels like he’s been in office for decades. Regardless, the reason he’s so popular probably has to do with the fact that he’s basically a Democrat on social issues, as well as his past history of being a well-known, popular Lt. Gov. to a popular Democratic Governor. The reason he’s able to run up such a high margin is the fact that he’s able to convince all the Republican voters, as well as a big chunk of independents, and democrats to vote for him.

What I find interesting is Democrats are WAY more likely to cross party vote for Republicans than vice versa for governor.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

18 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

Hard to believe that Scott only entered office in 2016, for some reason it feels like he’s been in office for decades. Regardless, the reason he’s so popular probably has to do with the fact that he’s basically a Democrat on social issues, as well as his past history of being a well-known, popular Lt. Gov. to a popular Democratic Governor. The reason he’s able to run up such a high margin is the fact that he’s able to convince all the Republican voters, as well as a big chunk of independents, and democrats to vote for him.

It’s because Vermont has 2-year terms. He’s had a lot of re-elections. 

4 minutes ago, themiddlepolitical said:

What I find interesting is Democrats are WAY more likely to cross party vote for Republicans than vice versa for governor.

Yeah, but I’d also say GOP has more range. MTG and Gaetz are more divergent from Hogan and Baker than AOC is from Manchin, I think. Manchin probably still votes Biden 60%+ of the time. While I think Baker and Hogan as Senators would only vote Trump 40% of the time and would probably vote Biden 55% of the time. 

6 hours ago, themiddlepolitical said:

Fun thing is that Vermont now has three different parties elected to statewide positions (never has before) D-R-I

it’s actually 4 different parties if you count Lt. Gov! New Lt. Gov Zuckerman is part of the Vermont progressive party

• Based 2

Phil Scott is also quite liberal on several others issues such as education/environment in addition of social issues.

He's almost a new democrat in fact. i believe that the vote which went to the democratic opponent of Phil Scott were basically very progressive democrats.

Voters tend to favor switches when it's about electing the governor, in 2001 it was incredible how states were separated from the federal scene.

POLIDATA ® ELECTION MAPS-GOVERNOR & LEGISLATURE-2000

Now it has aligned a lot to the federal scene

2022 State Trifectas | MultiState

Edited by Edouard
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Edouard said:

Phil Scott is also quite liberal on several others issues such as education/environment in addition of social issues.

He's almost a new democrat in fact. i believe that the vote which went to the democratic opponent of Phil Scott were basically very progressive democrats.

Voters tend to favor switches when it's about electing the governor, in 2001 it was incredible how states were separated from the federal scene.

POLIDATA ® ELECTION MAPS-GOVERNOR & LEGISLATURE-2000

Now it has aligned a lot to the federal scene

2022 State Trifectas | MultiState

NH party control is TBD