The Political Lounge

AMPU: Potential New Playtest

ebrk85

What start date would you most be interested in?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What start date would you most be interested in?

2. 2. Would you be interested in joining playtest?

3. 3. Would you still be interested in joining if your preferred start date wasn't chosen?

4. 4. Can you commit to 24 hour rule?

5. 5. If you join and we run the test with a number of CPU teams would you be able or willing to help with some of the spreadsheet upkeep?

• Yes
    • No (want to join as human team but can't commit time to help with CPU)
    • Not interested in joining

Depending on any interest out there, I am looking into starting a new playtest in an era which we haven’t had the chance to test out yet.  That includes most of the Era of Progressivism onwards.  Based on the level of interest would determine how many human players we run with versus CPU teams.

Any players joining in would need to be approved by vcczar (already participated in another test or KS Donor who’s active on the forum that he oks).  Commitment needed is to generally be able to respond within 24 hrs for each stage.  Some exceptions are of course ok. Life gets busy (as mine will at times); the ask is, when possible, you’d give me a heads up if you will be unavailable for a stretch of time.

Honestly we need to look at what era(s) hasn’t been tested and test that. 

Edited by themiddlepolitical

If im correct the untested era's are

• Era of Democracy, 1820-1822

• Era of the Gilded Age 1869-1870 * 

• Era of Progressivism, 1892-1894

• Era of Ideologies, 1928-1930

• Era of Neocons, 1972-1974

• Era of Terror, 2000-2002

We do have a playtest that could reach this soon

Edited by Murrman104

21 minutes ago, Murrman104 said:
  • Era of Progressivism, 1892-1894

• Era of Ideologies, 1928-1930

• Era of Neocons, 1972-1974

• Era of Terror, 2000-2002

These would be great. Maybe this is too optimistic, but maybe we can get four people to playtest all CPU versions of these (with the option of the person running the playtest being the only human faction). This would require people being comfortable making copies of the playtest spreadsheets and adapting them for the era they are starting in. Setting up a playtest can be a pain, and you'll likely need help from people already running them, all of whom will be more helpful than me as I haven't looked at a playtest spreadsheet in like two years maybe. 

35 minutes ago, vcczar said:

These would be great. Maybe this is too optimistic, but maybe we can get four people to playtest all CPU versions of these (with the option of the person running the playtest being the only human faction). This would require people being comfortable making copies of the playtest spreadsheets and adapting them for the era they are starting in. Setting up a playtest can be a pain, and you'll likely need help from people already running them, all of whom will be more helpful than me as I haven't looked at a playtest spreadsheet in like two years maybe. 

I’d be happy to do the 1928 playtest, but I have absolutely no idea how to set up the spreadsheets. I’m sure I could figure it out with a little guidance though. 

Ha ok well I was about to post my plans but I see in the past hour we've charted out a new course maybe.  I was going to go with 1948 because that was winning (although barely) and was one of 2 I was debating between myself.  We did have the 1960 test which is later in that era but because of some issues that one didn't make it that far to be fully tested out.

I will say having been involved in the modern test that the 20th century is much harder to try and run mostly solo.  Definitely more doable in the early part of our history.  A lot more spreadsheet work when trying to account for a full compliment of 50 states (or close to it).  Can certainty do it but will be a slow go through the years as each step can take that much longer. 

I started yesterday on getting the spreadsheet going. I have the next 2 days off so I should be able to make good progress with that but before I go any farther I definitely need to nail down the starting point.  Once I get so far it would be way too much work to start over and change.  So with that I'll ping those that expressed interest in joining to get your thoughts.  I'm fine with group consensus but my vote is gonna be 48 since I started on that 😛 but its early enough I can still change it.  Whoever wants to tackle taking on another era that's great and I can certainly offer to help anyone get going once mine is ready. And those that would rather just participate in the test are welcome to join in.

@Joe303300 @WVProgressive @Murrman104 @Rodja @10centjimmy @jnewt @ShortKing @Bloot911

@vcczar We absolutely need a full CPU playtest for the entire game. Maybe that could be a priority? It may take long but it would cover all eras and would be able to see how realistic a full game turns out. I think maybe all CPU would be the best route.

Edited by themiddlepolitical

48 minutes ago, themiddlepolitical said:

@vcczar We absolutely need a full CPU playtest for the entire game. Maybe that could be a priority? It may take long but it would cover all eras and would be able to see how realistic a full game turns out. I think maybe all CPU would be the best route.

Just need someone to volunteer to do that. 

1 hour ago, ebrk85 said:

Ha ok well I was about to post my plans but I see in the past hour we've charted out a new course maybe.  I was going to go with 1948 because that was winning (although barely) and was one of 2 I was debating between myself.  We did have the 1960 test which is later in that era but because of some issues that one didn't make it that far to be fully tested out.

I will say having been involved in the modern test that the 20th century is much harder to try and run mostly solo.  Definitely more doable in the early part of our history.  A lot more spreadsheet work when trying to account for a full compliment of 50 states (or close to it).  Can certainty do it but will be a slow go through the years as each step can take that much longer. 

I started yesterday on getting the spreadsheet going. I have the next 2 days off so I should be able to make good progress with that but before I go any farther I definitely need to nail down the starting point.  Once I get so far it would be way too much work to start over and change.  So with that I'll ping those that expressed interest in joining to get your thoughts.  I'm fine with group consensus but my vote is gonna be 48 since I started on that 😛 but its early enough I can still change it.  Whoever wants to tackle taking on another era that's great and I can certainly offer to help anyone get going once mine is ready. And those that would rather just participate in the test are welcome to join in.

@Joe303300 @WVProgressive @Murrman104 @Rodja @10centjimmy @jnewt @ShortKing @Bloot911

My vote is still for ‘28, but I’m in regardless. Also, judging by this comment, I probably don’t actually have the time available to run a solo playtest. 

7 hours ago, vcczar said:

I wouldn't mind trying my hand at running a single player Era of Terror

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ebrk85 said:

48 works, since you'll get to start up primaries again and it will be ingesting to see the cold war start up. 

• ebrk85 changed the title to AMPU: Potential New Playtest

I'd love to be part of another playtest. I think I've proven to be a pretty reliable playtester. Of course, I'd love to stick with the 1916 playtest if it gets restarted. If it's not too technical I am also happy to do an individual player versus computer playtest. I did an undergrad reading course on the Republican Party from Hoover to Ike, so 1928 might be a fun year to start a playtest from my perspective. Of course, 1972 would be fun too. I am game for almost anything playtesting wise.