The Political Lounge

AMPU: 1948 Playtest - The Nuclear Age

ebrk85

compared to the actual Kennedy administation theres actually only 2 members in common. Adlai Stevenson (irl the Un ambassador but now at the role he actually wanted at state) and Luthor Hodges (commerce irl, cia director here) . However, 2 of the irl Kennedy cabinet members are ambassadors (Larry O'Brien and Dean Rusk). 

Committee Votes:

State: Rep. Adlai E Stevenson II (jnewt) Approves 17-7

Treasury: Fmr. Amb. Philip Klutznick (10cent) Approves 15-10

Defense: Fmr. Sec. James Forrestal (DJBilly) Approves 17-7

AG: Justice Robert H Jackson (10cent) Approves 17-8

Commerce: Robert W Straub (Murrman) Approves 16-9

Labor: Fmr. VP Henry Wallace (10cent) Fails 9-16

HEW: Commerce Sec. Gene Black (Murrman) Approves 16-9

HUD: Robert C Weaver (jnewt) Approves 15-10

UN Ambassador: Larry O’Brien (jnewt) Approves 16-9

UK Ambassador: Clark Clifford (DJBilly) Approves 15-10

France Ambassador: Gov. Prentice Cooper (Murrman) Approves 17-8

Spain Ambassador: Sen. Edward Boland (10cent) Approves 16-9

German Ambassador: Fmr Gen Dean Rusk (DJBilly) Approves 16-9

Russia Ambassador: Dick Kneip (SK) Approves 16-9

China Ambassador: Patricia Roberts Harris (jnewt) Approves 17-8

Japan Ambassador: Sen. Lee Metcalf (10cent) Approves 16-9

Israel Ambassador: Jeanne Kirkpatrick (SK) Approves 16-9

Henry Wallace fails to be nominated  for Sec of Labor. (Controversial did him in. The Economic committee is the one committee that had a lot of Senators with Integrity.)  The President is blamed and Party Pref moves -1 Blue (now Blue +2). Senators voting nay gain Integrity. Wallace receives a lifetime ban to being nominated to cabinet and cabinet-level offices and receives a -1 in all future elections. (He can still be nominated to ambassador, military, elected, and/or appointed to positions that don’t require confirmation such as Key Advisor.)

Since LBJ is the Majority Leader and the one making the selection, @jnewt you don't need to create a list of replacements. Just select one qualifying candidate and they will automatically confirmed.

• Haha 1
  • Based 1

6 minutes ago, ebrk85 said:

Henry Wallace fails to be nominated  for Sec of Labor. (Controversial did him in. The Economic committee is the one committee that had a lot of Senators with Integrity.)  The President is blamed and Party Pref moves -1 Blue (now Blue +2). Senators voting nay gain Integrity. Wallace receives a lifetime ban to being nominated to cabinet and cabinet-level offices and receives a -1 in all future elections. (He can still be nominated to ambassador, military, elected, and/or appointed to positions that don’t require confirmation such as Key Advisor.)

Typical Henry Wallace L 

14 minutes ago, ebrk85 said:

Committee Votes:

State: Rep. Adlai E Stevenson II (jnewt) Approves 17-7

Treasury: Fmr. Amb. Philip Klutznick (10cent) Approves 15-10

Defense: Fmr. Sec. James Forrestal (DJBilly) Approves 17-7

AG: Justice Robert H Jackson (10cent) Approves 17-8

Commerce: Robert W Straub (Murrman) Approves 16-9

Labor: Fmr. VP Henry Wallace (10cent) Fails 9-16

HEW: Commerce Sec. Gene Black (Murrman) Approves 16-9

HUD: Robert C Weaver (jnewt) Approves 15-10

UN Ambassador: Larry O’Brien (jnewt) Approves 16-9

UK Ambassador: Clark Clifford (DJBilly) Approves 15-10

France Ambassador: Gov. Prentice Cooper (Murrman) Approves 17-8

Spain Ambassador: Sen. Edward Boland (10cent) Approves 16-9

German Ambassador: Fmr Gen Dean Rusk (DJBilly) Approves 16-9

Russia Ambassador: Dick Kneip (SK) Approves 16-9

China Ambassador: Patricia Roberts Harris (jnewt) Approves 17-8

Japan Ambassador: Sen. Lee Metcalf (10cent) Approves 16-9

Israel Ambassador: Jeanne Kirkpatrick (SK) Approves 16-9

Since LBJ is the Majority Leader and the one making the selection, @jnewt you don't need to create a list of replacements. Just select one qualifying candidate and they will automatically confirmed.

Lol 

Senate Confirmation Votes (63 votes needed):

State: Rep. Adlai E Stevenson II (jnewt) Fails 61-43

Treasury: Fmr. Amb. Philip Klutznick (10cent) Confirmed 68-36

Defense: Fmr. Sec. James Forrestal (DJBilly) Confirmed 73-31

AG: Justice Robert H Jackson (10cent) Confirmed 73-31

Commerce: Robert W Straub (Murrman) Confirmed 78-26

HEW: Commerce Sec. Gene Black (Murrman) Confirmed 71-33

HUD: Robert C Weaver (jnewt) Confirmed 68-36

UN Ambassador: Larry O’Brien (jnewt) Confirmed 73-31

UK Ambassador: Clark Clifford (DJBilly) Fails 56-48

France Ambassador: Gov. Prentice Cooper (Murrman) Confirmed 74-30

Spain Ambassador: Sen. Edward Boland (10cent) Confirmed 70-34

German Ambassador: Fmr Gen Dean Rusk (DJBilly) Confirmed 69-35

Russia Ambassador: Dick Kneip (SK) Confirmed 77-27

China Ambassador: Patricia Roberts Harris (jnewt) Confirmed 73-31

Japan Ambassador: Sen. Lee Metcalf (10cent) Confirmed 73-31

Israel Ambassador: Jeanne Kirkpatrick (SK) Confirmed 78-26

Controversial nominees Rep Adlai E Stevenson II for State and Clark Clifford for UK Amb fail. (Having 20 Dem Senators who have Integrity doomed them.)

For Stevenson: Senate Majority Leader is blamed. (Which is fitting since the pliable LBJ voted against his own selection lmao).  Party Pref -1 Blue (now Blue +1) Every Senator who voted Nay gains Controversial (unless they have Integrity already) A nominee who already had controversial and gets defeated receives a lifetime ban on being nominated to cabinet or cabinet-level roles again and receives a permanent -1 in all future elections. (They can still be nominated to ambassador, military, elected, and/or appointed to positions that don’t require confirmation such as Key Advisor.)

For Clifford: Senate Majority Leader is blamed. Party Pref -1 Blue (now lean Blue). Same effects as above for Stevenson.

@jnewt Action to you to name a new Sec of State and UK Amb. They will be automatically confirmed.

• Haha 2
  • Based 1

4 minutes ago, ebrk85 said:

Controversial nominees Rep Adlai E Stevenson II for State and Clark Clifford for UK Amb fail. (Having 20 Dem Senators who have Integrity doomed them.)

For Stevenson: Senate Majority Leader is blamed. (Which is fitting since the pliable LBJ voted against his own selection lmao).  Party Pref -1 Blue (now Blue +1) Every Senator who voted Nay gains Controversial (unless they have Integrity already) A nominee who already had controversial and gets defeated receives a lifetime ban on being nominated to cabinet or cabinet-level roles again and receives a permanent -1 in all future elections. (They can still be nominated to ambassador, military, elected, and/or appointed to positions that don’t require confirmation such as Key Advisor.)

For Clifford: Senate Majority Leader is blamed. Party Pref -1 Blue (now lean Blue). Same effects as above for Stevenson.

@jnewt Action to you to name a new Sec of State and UK Amb. They will be automatically confirmed.

Knee Slapper Laughing GIF - Knee Slapper Laughing Laughing And Crying -  Discover & Share GIFs

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ebrk85 said:

Typical Adlai Stevenson L

6 minutes ago, jnewt said:

Can’t LBJ invoke the nuclear option?

I need a ruling on the Nuclear Option @vcczar @MrPotatoTed.

Rules state If the Nuclear Option has been created via law, it can be implemented by a Senate Majority Leader who has Iron Fist, Manipulative, or Controversial.  From now on, all nominees (other than Supreme Court) will require only 50% +1 of Senate approval, for the rest of the game.

The only legislation I can find on the Nuclear Option enters in the Era of Terror and says if its passed only 50% is required to be confirmed. But it makes no mention about the Senate Majority Leader needing to activate it.

So how is this supposed to work aka is LBJ allowed to institute it now in 1960 without this bill passing?

Edited by ebrk85

3 minutes ago, ebrk85 said:

Rules state If the Nuclear Option has been created via law, it can be implemented by a Senate Majority Leader who has Iron Fist, Manipulative, or Controversial.  From now on, all nominees (other than Supreme Court) will require only 50% +1 of Senate approval, for the rest of the game.

The only legislation I can find on the Nuclear Option enters in the Era of Terror and says if its passed only 50% is required to be confirmed. But it makes no mention about the Senate Majority Leader needing to activate it.

So how is this supposed to work aka is LBJ allowed to institute it now in 1960 without this bill passing?

This makes me imagine that, no matter what the specific ruling, it's not available this era.

2 minutes ago, Rezi said:

This makes me imagine that, no matter what the specific ruling, it's not available this era.

I generally agree. I think the issue is the rule was written awhile back and the laws were added in more recently. So they don't match up anymore.

7 minutes ago, ebrk85 said:

But right before this, it says “unless this is changed by law or the invoking of the Nuclear Option”, implying that they’re two different things. The wording is definitely ambiguous though.

1 minute ago, jnewt said:

But right before this, it says “unless this is changed by law or the invoking of the Nuclear Option”, implying that they’re two different things. The wording is definitely ambiguous though.

Fair. We will wait on a ruling. @vcczar @MrPotatoTed see what jnewt put above. So the full wording of the rules say:

If the nominee receives 50%+1 of the committee’s support, they are then voted on by the full Senate.  They will need 60% of the Senate’s support for confirmation, unless this is changed by law or the invoking of “The Nuclear Option”.

If the Nuclear Option has been created via law, it can be implemented by a Senate Majority Leader who has Iron Fist, Manipulative, or Controversial.  From now on, all nominees (other than Supreme Court) will require only 50% +1 of Senate approval, for the rest of the game.

I’m honestly not sure.  My best guess is that I may written that just to give wiggle room in case there were any laws that could change the 60% (either already in the game or might be added later) because I don’t have all the potential laws memorized.

I assumed nuclear option was something a senate majority leader who met various requirements could just do (setting precedent for subsequent senates) , I don’t think I realized it was an actual proposable law.  But since I’m clearly not an expert on this part I’ll defer to V on how nuclear option, etc, is meant to be handled.

Edited by MrPotatoTed

19 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I’m honestly not sure.  My best guess is that I may written that just to give wiggle room in case there were any laws that could change the 60% (either already in the game or might be added later) because I don’t have all the potential laws memorized.

I assumed nuclear option was something a senate majority leader who met various requirements could just do (setting precedent for subsequent senates) , I don’t think I realized it was an actual proposable law.  But since I’m clearly not an expert on this part I’ll defer to V on how nuclear option, etc, is meant to be handled.

@MrPotatoTed There are some protocols that are "laws" in the game. The nuclear option has to be "proposed" 

Institute Nuclear Option for Executive Branch nominations
Institute Nuclear Option for Judicial Branch nominations
  • Thanks 1

Cabinet Scoring

@10centjimmy 1325

@jnewt 725

@DJBillyShakes 525

@Murrman104 325

@ShortKing 250

500pts to LBJ for cabinet experience

Enthusiasm Changes:

Lib +8 Blue (already maxed)

Mod +11 Blue (Red +3 to Blue +3)

Cons -1 Blue (now Red +3)

I will again say this is silly and broken. No group of people is going to heavily favor one side and then go oh wow what a great cabinet the other party put together I am now a huge supporter of them now.

Dean Rusk -1 Admin because he is incompetent.

Chief of Staff Curtis LeMay +1 Command (leading army during major war)

Philip Klutznick loses obscure

Patricia Robert Harris after 8 years on the Judicial Track gains +1 Judicial (her first)

Trait gains:

McGrath- military

Harris- trade

O'Brien- foreign affairs

Weaver- welfare

Klutznick- business

Wickard- business

Roosevelt- trade

Metcalf- business

Boland- trade

Anderson- energy

Rusk- business

Hodges- justice

Mansfield- business

Kirkpatrick- business

Snyder- foreign affairs

Black- welfare

Straub- business

Kennedy, D- trade

• Agree 2

New Gov of TN is @Murrman104 Ray Blanton. After 4 years on the Gov Track, Blanton gains Justice.

New Gov of RI is @10centjimmy Bruce Sundlun. After 12 years on the Gov Track, Sundlun gains + 2 Gov, Technology.

@jnewt you may appoint a Senator in MO and NY and a Rep in NY and IN

@Murrman104 you may appoint a Senator in MT

@10centjimmy you may appoint a Senator in MA

Gov. Donnelly (MO) will appoint Thomas Eagleton (career track) to the open MO senate seat.

Gov. Carey (NY) will appoint Rep. Adam Clayton Powell Jr. to the open NY senate seat, Bella Abzug (career track) to NY-3, and Ed Koch @DJBillyShakes to NY-6 (the House seat being vacated by Clayton Powell). 

Gov. McNutt (IN) will appoint Vance Hartke @DJBillyShakes to the open IN-3 house seat. 

39 minutes ago, ebrk85 said:

Cabinet Scoring

@10centjimmy 1325

@jnewt 725

@DJBillyShakes 525

@Murrman104 325

@ShortKing 250

500pts to LBJ for cabinet experience

Enthusiasm Changes:

Lib +8 Blue (already maxed)

Mod +11 Blue (Red +3 to Blue +3)

Cons -1 Blue (now Red +3)

I will again say this is silly and broken. No group of people is going to heavily favor one side and then go oh wow what a great cabinet the other party put together I am now a huge supporter of them now.

Dean Rusk -1 Admin because he is incompetent.

Chief of Staff Curtis LeMay +1 Command (leading army during major war)

Philip Klutznick loses obscure

Patricia Robert Harris after 8 years on the Judicial Track gains +1 Judicial (her first)

Trait gains:

McGrath- military

Harris- trade

O'Brien- foreign affairs

Weaver- welfare

Klutznick- business

Wickard- business

Roosevelt- trade

Metcalf- business

Boland- trade

Anderson- energy

Rusk- business