The Political Lounge

AMPU: 1948 Playtest - The Nuclear Age

ebrk85

@vcczar Is it possible to alter the historical ideological evolution of the parties? For example, I’m wondering if say Murrman continued to draft traditionalists and conservatives that politicians in 2020 who are real-life Republicans end up in the blue draft because the parties didn’t evolve ideologically the same way they did in real life (e.g. Ted Cruz ends up in the blue draft)? (Not sure if this makes any sense though lol.)

10 minutes ago, jnewt said:

@vcczar Is it possible to alter the historical ideological evolution of the parties? For example, I’m wondering if say Murrman continued to draft traditionalists and conservatives that politicians in 2020 who are real-life Republicans end up in the blue draft because the parties didn’t evolve ideologically the same way they did in real life (e.g. Ted Cruz ends up in the blue draft)? (Not sure if this makes any sense though lol.)

The game is designed in such a way that Democrats will never be Conservative in the 21st century unless a player seeks to ideology shift them that direction, risking flipflopper and two-faced. The drafts will eventually start supplying the Red Party with traditionalists and conservatives, while the Blue Party will stop getting them, so the historical shift occurs. Ted Cruz will be drafted Red regardless. Maybe AMPU 2 will allow for something more free-flowing, but the game right now needs more control. If I break down this barrier you'll get a lot of historically-minded players getting upset that Cruz ends up a Democrat 50% of the time or that Sanders and Manchin show up in the same faction too frequently. I'd be one of those historically-minded upset players that would be irked by it, probably enough to not play the game again. As I've said before, I'm determined to make a historically realistic game that allows for some ahistorical deviation. I'm trying to control the apparatus of the game so that it generates realistic results overwhelmingly. I think what might be possible is to allow for an option that allows anyone to draft anyone for players that don't want to be historical. I'm okay with that as an alternate rule, but not for the playtests. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, vcczar said:

The game is designed in such a way that Democrats will never be Conservative in the 21st century unless a player seeks to ideology shift them that direction, risking flipflopper and two-faced. The drafts will eventually start supplying the Red Party with traditionalists and conservatives, while the Blue Party will stop getting them, so the historical shift occurs. Ted Cruz will be drafted Red regardless. Maybe AMPU 2 will allow for something more free-flowing, but the game right now needs more control. If I break down this barrier you'll get a lot of historically-minded players getting upset that Cruz ends up a Democrat 50% of the time or that Sanders and Manchin show up in the same faction too frequently. I'd be one of those historically-minded upset players that would be irked by it, probably enough to not play the game again. As I've said before, I'm determined to make a historically realistic game that allows for some ahistorical deviation. I'm trying to control the apparatus of the game so that it generates realistic results overwhelmingly. I think what might be possible is to allow for an option that allows anyone to draft anyone for players that don't want to be historical. I'm okay with that as an alternate rule, but not for the playtests. 

Gotcha, thanks for the explanation!

We are ready to begin!!!!  I have a few things to finish but can do that as we move along.  Everyone has editor access now.  For those that are new, the tabs may be sorted as needed to find the date you are looking for.  My only ask is unless you know what you are doing don't mess with the filters that are set.  If the filter is changed and then the tab is sorted that can cause all kinds of problems. As we discovered in the modern test when everyone's age was suddenly wrong in the one faction lol. Whoops.

Rookie Draft

Consult 2.1.1 for rules.  Please submit your draft strategy by PM on this forum to me.  If can be a list of your top picks or what ideology or traits you want to prioritize or some combo of all.  Draft ideologies for each faction can be found on the main tab.  Draft order by random draw is below.

Red Team

@WVProgressive

@Joe303300

@Bloot911

@Rezi

@Bushwa777

Blue Team

@jnewt

@Murrman104

@Rodja

@10centjimmy

@ShortKing

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ebrk85 said:

We are ready to begin!!!!  I have a few things to finish but can do that as we move along.  Everyone has editor access now.  For those that are new, the tabs may be sorted as needed to find the date you are looking for.  My only ask is unless you know what you are doing don't mess with the filters that are set.  If the filter is changed and then the tab is sorted that can cause all kinds of problems. As we discovered in the modern test when everyone's age was suddenly wrong in the one faction lol. Whoops.

Rookie Draft

Consult 2.1.1 for rules.  Please submit your draft strategy by PM on this forum to me.  If can be a list of your top picks or what ideology or traits you want to prioritize or some combo of all.  Draft ideologies for each faction can be found on the main tab.  Draft order by random draw is below.

Red Team

@WVProgressive

@Joe303300

@Bloot911

@Rezi

@Bushwa777

Blue Team

@jnewt

@Murrman104

@Rodja

@10centjimmy

@ShortKing

So do we wait in order or pm you here when we are ready?  Another question is this is open so pm you personally?

3 minutes ago, Joe303300 said:

How many people do I send you 

You can rank as many of the 60 red pols as you'd like. Once your list is exhausted any remaining picks would be selected by highest "politician value" that fits your factions draft ideology.

In your case you will want to focus on the Libs, Prog and LW Pop.  You can try to draft the others but you only have a 30% chance of being successful.

Edited by ebrk85

2 minutes ago, ebrk85 said:

You can rank as many of the 60 red pols as you'd like. Once your list is exhausted any remaining picks would be selected by highest "politician value" that fits your factions draft ideology.

In your case you will want to focus on the Libs, Prog and LW Pop.  You can try to draft the others but you only have a 30% chance of being successful.

What should I focus on?  How do I see what is what?  Having trouble reading the chart

2 minutes ago, Bushwa777 said:

What should I focus on?  How do I see what is what?  Having trouble reading the chart

No problem.  From the Main tab under draft ideologies.  Your faction is Cons, Trad and RW Pop

Bushwa       16 28 Conservatives, Traditionalists, RW Populists

58 minutes ago, ebrk85 said:

No problem.  From the Main tab under draft ideologies.  Your faction is Cons, Trad and RW Pop

Bushwa       16 28 Conservatives, Traditionalists, RW Populists

I found that but where are the people that I can pick?  Is it under the Bushwa tab?