36 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Steam user?

• All of my PC games are on Steam
    • Most of my PC games are on Steam
    • About half of my PC games are on Steam
    • Barely any of my PC games are on Steam
    • I don’t use Steam
    • What is Steam?
  2. 2. How important is it that AMPU be on Steam?

• I won’t get the game if it isn’t.
    • Important but not a dealbreaker.
    • Not important.
    • No opinion
  3. 3. Can you leave any arguments in favor of putting the game on Steam?

New poll

So Anthony and I are discussing whether or not to put the game on Steam, and if so, what level of functionality it will have with Steam. I’m all in with Steam. Anthony is on the fence, and possibly leaning no because of cost and other questions he has. 

Please help me build an argument in favor of Steam if you want it on Steam. I’ve been building my case, but someone might bring something up that I didn’t think about. 

There is no way to properly market the game unless it is on steam. Game on Steam = more exposure = more people buying = more people buying Anthony's other games =  more success for Anthony.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Based 1

8 minutes ago, Bushwa777 said:

Steam to me takes up too much memory. This game will already be huge and I don't have the money to buy a new computer to just run the game so I dont want it on steam

It saves memory for me. No way I could have 50 ish games on my computer without it. How old is your computer?

In addition to wider engagement, there are more opportunities for engagement with people who end up purchasing the game - including modding.

There's also the potential issue with 270Soft controlling the game - what happens if his site goes down or he chooses not to host AMPU for some reason?

Edited by 10centjimmy
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, 10centjimmy said:

In addition to wider engagement, there are more opportunities for engagement with people who end up purchasing the game - including modding.

There's also the potential issue with 270Soft controlling the game - what happens if his site goes down or he chooses not to host AMPU for some reason?

Are you talking about networking for multiplayer?

50 minutes ago, 10centjimmy said:

Yes, the community space for people who don't come to this forum

Oh ok. I see what you’re saying. In regards to multiplayer networking for multiplayer gaming, Anthony has been considering three approaches. He wants to avoid hosting a costly server, and he wants to avoid a 3rd party server that could disappear if the 3rd party disappears. I’m not sure what that leaves. He mentioned the possibility of player run servers. My knowledge of servers and the possibilities regarding servers is very limited, especially since I rarely play multiplayer games against human players. 

Ok I checked and it seems like steam will work on my laptop but wont know for sure until  APMU finally comes out if you do steam.  But if you dont I wont care either way.  I dont want this game to be strictly multiplayer however as I want to play only against the computer 

• Based 1

The number of people seeing the game will be higher.

On a side note, I always liked buying games and getting a nice case and booklet etc. Most importantly I also feel like owning a game truly, if it is not just to be downloaded - one day Steam might be hit by hackers or whatever and all games could be lost. But times are changing and we have to adapt to that.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I'd also like to point out while it may not be a dealbreaker for many of us, because we are already invested in it, there's so many people out there that it would be. The visibility on steam vs not on steam just can't be compared. It shouldn't be a question.

• Agree 1

Hi, I’m kinda new here but I thought I’d share my view. I don’t mind if it is I or isn’t on Steam. Like many others I think it is a question of the audience that is being appealed too. I think there probably are arguments both ways. If you are hoping for a more niche audience then no but if you are looking for a wider audience then yes steam probably is the way to go.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Hestia said:

I'd also like to point out while it may not be a dealbreaker for many of us, because we are already invested in it, there's so many people out there that it would be. The visibility on steam vs not on steam just can't be compared. It shouldn't be a question.

Yeah we just have to convince Anthony now. He’s afraid people that people will buy it on Steam and he’ll lose 30% of what he’d get if someone bought it on his website. For whatever reason, the exposure argument isn’t enough to convince him, but I’ll keep trying. 

35 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Yeah we just have to convince Anthony now. He’s afraid people that people will buy it on Steam and he’ll lose 30% of what he’d get if someone bought it on his website. For whatever reason, the exposure argument isn’t enough to convince him, but I’ll keep trying. 

@vcczar that Anthony is afraid he wont get 30 percent.   So why not have it on steam and on his site? Why not best of both worlds? Otherwise if Anthony feels he wont get paid he may slow up more or decide he has other games and if this game is ever made it will be 2056 or something.   I believe this game can teach us in the usa how to be bipartisan not one side or the other so again why not both?

3 minutes ago, Bushwa777 said:

@vcczar that Anthony is afraid he wont get 30 percent.   So why not have it on steam and on his site? Why not best of both worlds? Otherwise if Anthony feels he wont get paid he may slow up more or decide he has other games and if this game is ever made it will be 2056 or something.   I believe this game can teach us in the usa how to be bipartisan not one side or the other so again why not both?

That's the idea. It would be both. He doesn't want to lose 30% because of Steam sales, so he'd prefer it being on his website exclusively, I think. I don't care about money, so I'm happy to put it on Steam. But I do think the exposure on Steam is such that it will more than pay for that 30%.

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

That's the idea. It would be both. He doesn't want to lose 30% because of Steam sales, so he'd prefer it being on his website exclusively, I think. I don't care about money, so I'm happy to put it on Steam. But I do think the exposure on Steam is such that it will more than pay for that 30%.

I agree, not that I matter, but if it can be both let's do it.  I just dont want him angry, like he got 3 months ago and sent a very angry snide filled update, and decide he has better things to do then make the game and we will all be old men before the game is ever released.   I personally want the game by my 46th birthday next November not my 76th in 2053

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Bushwa777 said:

I agree, not that I matter, but if it can be both let's do it.  I just dont want him angry, like he got 3 months ago and sent a very angry snide filled update, and decide he has better things to do then make the game and we will all be old men before the game is ever released.   I personally want the game by my 46th birthday next November not my 76th in 2053

Plus the longer we wait the more politicians and laws @vcczarhas to do and I am sure he wants to go back to strictly teaching for a few years

The only reason 100% of my games aren't on steam is because I was gaming before 2004. (that, and origin is a thing).

Being slightly less facetious, if something interests me enough, I'll buy it either way (like the fact I basically have a Nintendo Switch just for Pokemon), and being even less facetious, I already bought 3 copies of AMPU so it doesn't really matter where it is as long as they're delivered eventually.

• Based 1

6 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

The only reason 100% of my games aren't on steam is because I was gaming before 2004. (that, and origin is a thing).

Being slightly less facetious, if something interests me enough, I'll buy it either way (like the fact I basically have a Nintendo Switch just for Pokemon), and being even less facetious, I already bought 3 copies of AMPU so it doesn't really matter where it is as long as they're delivered eventually.

Thanks! Yeah, my only non-Steam PC games are Anthony's games and Football Mogul 2021. I've got like 50ish Steam games or more.