The Political Lounge

Questions on game

Bushwa777

1 hour ago, jnewt said:

Are there limits to which countries we could possibly go to war with? Or is it just the major countries plus countries we have historically gone to war with? Obviously, we've historically gone to war with some minor countries, like Vietnam. In an alternate history, maybe we would have ended up in a war in, say Ethiopia. Is something like that possible?

1 minute ago, Bushwa777 said:

You dont have everything memorized? Well why not?

3 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I’m sure there are instances of that, I know V added some ahistorical paths.  I don’t have every possibility memorized though and neither does he.  You could always poke around in the scripted events file if you’re interested.

I don't have my own game memorized either, but this could potentially be accurate:

• One can go to war with any nation in which there is an ambassador. 
  • One can go to war with their own nation. 
  • One can go to war against nations we historically went to war with, including native tribes. 
  • One can go to war for expansion in Central and South America. 
  • In the Era of the Future, there are numerous wars, many of these are based on a book that both me and @MrPotatoTed read by George Friedman (I was almost hired by him, by the way). This means the US will be at war with or allied with nations such as Poland, who are not usually an option for war. There are also hypothetical states, such as a fragmented China or Russia. 
  • I can forsee a DLC that will add more ambassadors and more possibilities for war, but that's way down the road. I have so many DLC options in so many different areas of the game, that I'm wondering if the DLC will just be AMPU 2, hopefully by Paradox.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, vcczar said:

In the Era of the Future, there are numerous wars, many of these are based on a book that both me and @MrPotatoTed read by George Friedman (I was almost hired by him, by the way). This means the US will be at war with or allied with nations such as Poland, who are not usually an option for war. There are also hypothetical states, such as a fragmented China or Russia.

I read this as well (after his many comments about it on here and the old forum, I had to). I just did a quick CTRL-F search of the events file for "war" but there were over 1600 hits, though I did notice a lot of events resembling those in that book, as well as reference to a Lebanese War, which would also be very interesting and the type of thing I was hoping for. Thanks for the explanation!

1 hour ago, Bushwa777 said:

You dont have everything memorized? Well why not?

Because I have a career, a family, and a ton of grad school classes right now, in addition to other time consuming hobbies, and I don’t get paid for any of this.  I’ve been a volunteer for like four years because I love this, but it also changes almost every day, so literally no one including the creator has it all memorized.  You’re welcome to become the person who memorizes every detail of the hundred pages of rules and thousands of events if you’d like, have at it.  ;c)

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Because I have a career, a family, and a ton of grad school classes right now, in addition to other time consuming hobbies, and I don’t get paid for any of this.  I’ve been a volunteer for like four years because I love this, but it also changes almost every day, so literally no one including the creator has it all memorized.  You’re welcome to become the person who memorizes every detail of the hundred pages of rules and thousands of events if you’d like, have at it.  ;c)

It's a joke calm down please 

2 hours ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I’m sure there are instances of that, I know V added some ahistorical paths.  I don’t have every possibility memorized though and neither does he.  You could always poke around in the scripted events file if you’re interested.

There's actually the war chart file as well which lists something like 300 possible wars, that's probably easier to digest for the purposes of this question.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, OrangeP47 said:

There's actually the war chart file as well which lists something like 300 possible wars, that's probably easier to digest for the purposes of this question.

True, but it won’t answer the question. Some of the wars on the war chart are generic catch-alls to cover any wars that don’t get their own special chart.

1 hour ago, MrPotatoTed said:

True, but it won’t answer the question. Some of the wars on the war chart are generic catch-alls to cover any wars that don’t get their own special chart.

Eh I'd say it's semantics, are generic wars any less real because they are generic? It's an unknowable question best left to philosophers because by definition any war that happens IRL is not generic because it actually happened, haha.

3 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

Eh I'd say it's semantics, are generic wars any less real because they are generic? It's an unknowable question best left to philosophers because by definition any war that happens IRL is not generic because it actually happened, haha.

Ha, I meant that the question was about what countries you can have a war with.

• Haha 1

Another question.  In the playtests we have access to the google sheets which show us meters and/or which parties will do well on laws.  Will the game have this so we can click and show us the current meters or we can click and with each law it will give us basic info saying that this type of faction will benefit and so on?

3 hours ago, Bushwa777 said:

Another question.  In the playtests we have access to the google sheets which show us meters and/or which parties will do well on laws.  Will the game have this so we can click and show us the current meters or we can click and with each law it will give us basic info saying that this type of faction will benefit and so on?

Hopefully.  At this time, that part hasn't been created within the actual software to my knowledge, and the person who is creating it isn't on here.  So while we can certainly say that's our hope/plan, we can't realistically describe in too much detail what the actual interface will be as that's all in the works.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, lm1145 said:

In the game will there be any metrics that will show the state of the country? Such as unemployment rate, poverty, crime stats, GDP etc..

There are "meters" which are metrics, but abstractions.  Hard, real world statistics currently aren't really worked out, but in a few playtests at times we've done "back of the napkin" math of estimate such figures.  I greatly enjoy running the census in 1840 playtest, so I've been giving national population figures, but that's about as close as you'd get at the moment.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, lm1145 said:

In the game will there be any metrics that will show the state of the country? Such as unemployment rate, poverty, crime stats, GDP etc..

As Orange said, there are meters which are a sliding scale where things are amazing on one end and crises/disasters on the other. Some of the crises/disasters can be game-ending if not addressed quickly.

Off the top of my head, the meters are budget, economic stability, military preparedness, domestic stability, global health (climate), meters to show our relations with a variety of countries, meters to show which way various ideologies are leaning, and party popularity.

I may have missed one or two, that’s just off top of my head.

18 hours ago, OrangeP47 said:

There's a deep philosophical thought to be had here but I've had too much caffeine tonight to fully produce it.

I think it's more simplistic than you think. To a politician, your quality of life is of the least importance lol

• 2 weeks later...