The Political Lounge

Questions on game

Bushwa777

18 minutes ago, Bushwa777 said:

Ok so how does national capital work in game?  Do factions vote on the capital like Hamilton and Jefferson?  And if Washington sucks in our game what is name of capital? Adamsville? Madisonopolis

There are multiple capitals available in the game.  They're legislative proposals. Off the top of my head, I know Boston, New York, Philadelphia, and Washington DC are all available as capitals.  I know at one point there were a few others -- maybe Charleston, one in Texas, and one that was dead center in the US, I think.  I don't remember if those ones are still in the game or not.

I can't remember if there's a renaming mechanic for Washington DC, whether it's automatically named after whoever the first President was or not.  You may be able to dig around in the Legis Proposals file to look for yourself if you'd like.

4 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

There are multiple capitals available in the game.  They're legislative proposals. Off the top of my head, I know Boston, New York, Philadelphia, and Washington DC are all available as capitals.  I know at one point there were a few others -- maybe Charleston, one in Texas, and one that was dead center in the US, I think.  I don't remember if those ones are still in the game or not.

I can't remember if there's a renaming mechanic for Washington DC, whether it's automatically named after whoever the first President was or not.  You may be able to dig around in the Legis Proposals file to look for yourself if you'd like.

I feel as if a lot of the minor ones were removed solely because 1772 playtesters couldn't stop moving it to Princeton (that's not a complaint).

• Haha 1
  • Based 1

6 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I will see if I have access to that file 

22 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

I feel as if a lot of the minor ones were removed solely because 1772 playtesters couldn't stop moving it to Princeton (that's not a complaint).

That could be.  I do know that if you move it to Washington DC, then that's finalized as the capital.  The others you can keep moving it as long as you have the votes.

46 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

39 minutes ago, Bushwa777 said:

I will see if I have access to that file 

I just checked, and the District of Columbia is named after the first President when it's created

• Like 1
  • Based 1

Boston, San Francisco, Williamsburg VA, Lebanon KS, Chicago, New York, Charleston SC, Baltimore, New Orleans, Philadelphia, Princeton, and San Marcos TX (Gee I wonder who picked that) appear to be the other options for a capital city

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So just cause I have been doing many playtests as of late, I went back to look at the Alpha release.  I noticed that when you are picking people you can click on them and see the basic stats (admin, military, leg, and so on) but the other ones that we see like leadership or kingmaker or lacky are not listed.  Will that be part of the game that we can see all of that when we pick or play the game do you know?  

1 minute ago, Bushwa777 said:

So just cause I have been doing many playtests as of late, I went back to look at the Alpha release.  I noticed that when you are picking people you can click on them and see the basic stats (admin, military, leg, and so on) but the other ones that we see like leadership or kingmaker or lacky are not listed.  Will that be part of the game that we can see all of that when we pick or play the game do you know?  

Any questions about how the final game will look or play is pretty unknown.  You pretty much know what we do.  Anything about the actual design of the game beyond just how the rules work, etc, is Anthony's field and he doesn't come here.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, EYates said:

How do states get assigned their ideology, is it done by era or do things change it over time?

It's done by decade now by default, but there are certain things like events that can effect it.  Note one playtest in particular where people seem hellbent on not admitting Hawaii to the union, which affects it.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, EYates said:

Is it possible that you could get to the Modern Day era and the blue party is the Conservative one and the republicans the liberal one?

In the standard game, politicians will be drafted according to 'draft ideologies,' which are a set of two or three ideologies you are able to draft from. So if you are playing as one of the blue factions, in the modern day your draft ideologies would be liberal and progressive. This is designed so you get flexibility of who you draft, but that the parties still move in their general historical direction. 

Additionally, politicians enter the game with their real life (or close approximation) ideologies, so eventually the blue party will transform into the liberal party just because of the available peeps.

We are hoping to have an option that will allow you to draft whoever you want.

6 minutes ago, Willthescout7 said:

In the standard game, politicians will be drafted according to 'draft ideologies,' which are a set of two or three ideologies you are able to draft from. So if you are playing as one of the blue factions, in the modern day your draft ideologies would be liberal and progressive. This is designed so you get flexibility of who you draft, but that the parties still move in their general historical direction. 

Additionally, politicians enter the game with their real life (or close approximation) ideologies, so eventually the blue party will transform into the liberal party just because of the available peeps.

Ah fair enough. I was just thinking along those lines to see if there was a possibility to reverse the parties ideologies through the way you gamed if you went from the start.

28 minutes ago, Willthescout7 said:

According to the rules doc there will be a option for this 

3 hours ago, EYates said:

Ah fair enough. I was just thinking along those lines to see if there was a possibility to reverse the parties ideologies through the way you gamed if you went from the start.

Possible, yes.  Easy, no.

If you start in 1772 (the earliest start date) and start with a liberal red team for example, and keep attempting to shift the ideology of any outlier ideology statesmen on your faction to be liberal as well, then you can likely keep your red faction liberal for a long time.

Your challenges are going to be:

1)  You can only attempt to shift a certain number of statesmen's ideologies every two years (i think the default is 3, traits adjust that number)

2)  Your attempts don't have a 100% success rate.

3)  As you get closer to the modern era, there are no liberal Republicans to draft anymore, so you end up taking on a lot of moderates and conservatives, throwing off your liberal majority.

Edited by MrPotatoTed
  • Based 1

One of the things I like about the game right now is wheeling and dealing behind the scenes.  For example, offering a position in exchange for a crucial vote, etc.  Does anyone know if this will somehow be implemented for the CPU players in the computer game?  I imagine most people will be playing as single player, and it would be a shame if this aspect of the game gets lost.

• Like 1
  • Based 1

26 minutes ago, Umbrella said:

One of the things I like about the game right now is wheeling and dealing behind the scenes.  For example, offering a position in exchange for a crucial vote, etc.  Does anyone know if this will somehow be implemented for the CPU players in the computer game?  I imagine most people will be playing as single player, and it would be a shame if this aspect of the game gets lost.

It’s certainly something we’ve talked a lot about, but never came up with a viable system for it so far.

Just now, MrPotatoTed said:

It’s certainly something we’ve talked a lot about, but never came up with a viable system for it so far.

Yeah, I imagine it would be difficult to implement.  I know vcczar doesn't want any new ideas right now, but maybe that's a brainstorm for the future to try and come up with good CPU rules.

One thing I have noticed from the 1868 playtest is there are several representatives who ran for speaker or became speaker at a later data that don't begin with leadership. I was wondering whether that should be something we rectify or if it that way for a reason?

1 minute ago, EYates said:

One thing I have noticed from the 1868 playtest is there are several representatives who ran for speaker or became speaker at a later data that don't begin with leadership. I was wondering whether that should be something we rectify or if it that way for a reason?

It's something we've gone back and forth on.  Should a politician's stats (at roughly age 25 when they enter the game) be based more off of what they achieved in real life or what they achieve in the game?

We ended up with a compromise in which most stats and traits are based off of what they achieved in real life, but certain ones, such as command (the ability to run for President), leadership, and I think maybe controversial have to be earned in game.  That said, if you begin a game in, say, 1990, any politicians who had earned command, leadership, or controversial by that point in the real world will already have it when your game starts.

Of course, all skills, traits, etc can change over the course of the game.  It's just a matter of what they have when your game begins and/or when they reach 25 years old and become draftable.

• Based 1