The Political Lounge

Questions on game

Bushwa777

I am just wondering on what people's views are regarding rapidly adding new states to the US. I am only raising this as a question as in the 1868 playtest we are rapidly adding states decades before they were historically. Is there a penalty for doing so as I can see depending on the way it is done that one party benefits and the other does not thus acting as a destabilising factor.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, EYates said:

I am just wondering on what people's views are regarding rapidly adding new states to the US. I am only raising this as a question as in the 1868 playtest we are rapidly adding states decades before they were historically. Is there a penalty for doing so as I can see depending on the way it is done that one party benefits and the other does not thus acting as a destabilising factor.

I believe they’re typically locked by era, so it’s possible you could add a state 10-20 years early but not, say, 50 years early. Of course, let us know if you’re seeing differently.

We used to have a problem where a party would refuse to admit a state if it was likely to vote for the opposing party, which isn’t historically accurate so we established penalties for that.  But it’s possible those penalties may have gone too far, let us know as detailed as you can if that’s what you’re experiencing.

Well our situation is we are going to have added 7 states in four years all of which will most likely be Republican states given the situation is in. I don't know if it would be advisable if we have a cap on the number of states that can be admitted over a 4 year period?

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, EYates said:

Well our situation is we are going to have added 7 states in four years all of which will most likely be Republican states given the situation is in. I don't know if it would be advisable if we have a cap on the number of states that can be admitted over a 4 year period?

Gotcha.  Not necessarily wildly ahistorical.  In the real world:

Six states added from 1816 - 1821.

Five states added 1845 - 1850.

Six states added in less than a two year period 1889 - 1890.

Presumably these states you're adding will only be worth 3 EV each for a while, so it shouldn't shift things too much.  If it does swing one or two elections, the difficulty of ruling and meters, etc, backfiring against the party in power should swing it back to the other party in due time.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Based 1

28 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Gotcha.  Not necessarily wildly ahistorical.  In the real world:

Six states added from 1816 - 1821.

Five states added 1845 - 1850.

Six states added in less than a two year period 1889 - 1890.

Presumably these states you're adding will only be worth 3 EV each for a while, so it shouldn't shift things too much.  If it does swing one or two elections, the difficulty of ruling and meters, etc, backfiring against the party in power should swing it back to the other party in due time.

Ok fair enough. I just thought it was a bit odd we are suddenly getting loads of new states.

• Like 2