The Political Lounge

Sinema Switches to Independent

vcczar

This doesn't surprise me, but I would have placed my bet on Manchin doing it first. 

Sinema is highly unpopular with both Dems and the GOP. By becoming an Independent, she's probably actually helping her shot at being reelected. If Dems don't support her, then the GOP gets a seat. I don't think Dems support her, so I feel like the GOP is more likely than not going to win her seat when she's up for reelection. 

If I were Biden, I'd bring her into the administration so another Dem can get in there.

Note that she didn't make her decision until Warnock won his race. What if Warnock had lost? 

Sinema as definitely veered righward since becoming a politician. When she was young, she was somewhat progressive, and each year she moves rightward. I now expect her to be more unreliable than Manchin in voting, so the supposed 51-49 Senate will still see a lot of Harris breaking tie-votes. 

This posses a greater issue for Democrats in the difficult 2024 Senate map. 

Yeah, if Biden has any sense, he'll try to get her out of that seat by "rewarding" her with some sort of high profile admin post or something. 

• Agree 1

What will be interesting is if she attempts to run for re-election as an independent and if Democrats challenge her. If she does face a Dem challenger, the Republicans will have a great shot at flipping the seat. If not, she might be in an even better position to win re-election.

41 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

What will be interesting is if she attempts to run for re-election as an independent and if Democrats challenge her. If she does face a Dem challenger, the Republicans will have a great shot at flipping the seat. If not, she might be in an even better position to win re-election.

Yeah, that's the thing I fear, and it is why I think she did it. 

11 hours ago, vcczar said:

This doesn't surprise me, but I would have placed my bet on Manchin doing it first. 

Sinema is highly unpopular with both Dems and the GOP. By becoming an Independent, she's probably actually helping her shot at being reelected. If Dems don't support her, then the GOP gets a seat. I don't think Dems support her, so I feel like the GOP is more likely than not going to win her seat when she's up for reelection. 

If I were Biden, I'd bring her into the administration so another Dem can get in there.

Note that she didn't make her decision until Warnock won his race. What if Warnock had lost? 

Sinema as definitely veered righward since becoming a politician. When she was young, she was somewhat progressive, and each year she moves rightward. I now expect her to be more unreliable than Manchin in voting, so the supposed 51-49 Senate will still see a lot of Harris breaking tie-votes. 

This posses a greater issue for Democrats in the difficult 2024 Senate map. 

Yeah, if Biden has any sense, he'll try to get her out of that seat by "rewarding" her with some sort of high profile admin post or something. 

Her whole shtick depended on democrats seeing her as the only ‘electable’ candidate. That argument doesn’t work well when Kelly is winning by nearly 5 points despite being on board with Biden’s agenda. Agree that this was her only play, but I don’t see a path to Sinema getting another term.

• Agree 1

I basically agree with all of the above.  I don't think she has a chance at reelection because the Dems will never not run against her.  But if she does run as a 3rd party independent that will give the race to the Republicans. Dems only hope really it seems would be to get her out of the race altogether. I think it'd take a pretty high profile admin position to get her to take it though.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, ebrk85 said:

I think it'd take a pretty high profile admin position to get her to take it though.

The issue with this is Sinema clearly likes attention, so coaxing her out of her Senate seat into a cabinet position wouldn't fly I imagine, just because the cabinet is lower profile.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, The Blood said:

The issue with this is Sinema clearly likes attention, so coaxing her out of her Senate seat into a cabinet position wouldn't fly I imagine, just because the cabinet is lower profile.

UN Amb or create a new flashy position.