The Political Lounge

Death of the Iowa Caucus

Hestia

I thought this was a good article today, being from Iowa and getting to read it, that I stumbled upon. A lot of us knew this day would come, and to be honest, were expecting it after what happened in 2020. That's why you're seeing a lot less blowback from Iowa Democrats than New Hampshire ones because many of us knew this was coming anyway. But, there's still important things to us that make it hard to let go. 

Americans outside the Midwest may soon forget about the Butter Cow. Iowa will take an economic hit if the state doesn’t go first in the Democrats’ nominating process. The restaurants serving tenderloins and chicken lips to eager-to-please politicians won’t make as much; the hotels and bars frequented by the national press corps will suffer. But the real reason these changes will be hard for many Iowans to accept is that a whole lot of pride is tied up in this thing. I hear it when I’m talking on the phone with my parents, and when I’m listening to people like Dockendorff and Meyer reminisce. Caucus advocates claim that Iowans are perfectly suited for the part because they are a particularly discerning people. I don’t think that’s true. But Iowans do take the role seriously—at least the ones who participate.

Iowa Democrats have invested decades of effort into hosting bright-eyed, young campaign staffers from California and Massachusetts in their homes. They’ve given rookie candidates with few resources the space to make a case and a name for themselves. That all of this might soon be ripped away by a faceless group of people in D.C.—who seem to harbor, if not ill will, then at least a light disdain toward Iowa—is hard to swallow. Identity is a tricky thing.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2022/12/iowa-caucus-democrats-dnc-vote-2024-presidential-primary-election/672444/

• Like 3