The Political Lounge

Podcast Recommendations?

10centjimmy

For anyone who hasn't heard it yet in this group, have to recommend Mike Duncan's the Revolutions podcast. The French one is incredible (and long) but the others are great too. History of Rome is incredible too.

Dollop is good for a laugh,  actually had the chance to see them live last year - which was the first time I saw a podcast live, pretty strange but fun. 

Curious if anyone else has recommendations?

8 minutes ago, 10centjimmy said:

For anyone who hasn't heard it yet in this group, have to recommend Mike Duncan's the Revolutions podcast. The French one is incredible (and long) but the others are great too. History of Rome is incredible too.

Dollop is good for a laugh,  actually had the chance to see them live last year - which was the first time I saw a podcast live, pretty strange but fun. 

Curious if anyone else has recommendations?

I wish I could get into podcasts. I think there are two primary difficulties for me:

1) I tend to stop paying attention to them when they're on once I starting working on my computer or on a project. As I always multi-task, this will happen when I have a podcast on. I tend to listen to instrumental music for this reason. Anything with words will only be partially listened to. 

2) If the subject is history on a topic that I've well-researched, I tend to learn almost nothing new, and sometimes I even get irritated by how stunningly superficial the podcasts can be on the topics. Some of these podcasters seem like they're just reading off of Wikipedia. 

This said, I've only made like 10 to 20 attempts at history-based podcasts. So there might be an entertaining PhD-holding presenter out there that provides a lot of depth on the subject for people that aren't entry-level to topics. 

Political podcasts I think are handled better than history podcasts because there's more high-level political analysts with podcasts than high-level academics with podcasts. For instance, I think FiveThirtyEight has a good podcast; however, they sometimes interview scholars that I think are more ambitious to fulfill the thesis of their latest book project than are really politically aware and politically insightful. I'm very much pro-scholar, but I feel like a lot of the scholars interviewed on podcasts seem to be flashy and/or determined but lack any semblance of genius. I'll call this kind of genius I'm looking for global thought. That is for our cases, the ability to take in much of the known totality of US history and US politics and use that knowledge to produce substantial answers and questions to current or future events in the US. 

I'll admit in the last paragraph I'm primarily thinking of one scholar that FiveThirtyEight keeps bringing back. I've had to stop the podcast both times.

I think my favorite podcast is Last Podcast on the Left. They're just funny and not trying to be experts on anything, so it doesn't bother me. They're seeking to entertain more than inform. 

• Like 1

The only podcast I really listen to consistently is Welcome to Night Vale, which I would recommend, though I know it’s not for everyone.

• Thanks 1

• Knowledge Fight (podcast analyzing Alex Jones and all the lies he tells and how he deceives his audience)
  • Podcast About List (comedy podcast, most people on this forum probably wouldn't like it though)
  • Dan Le Batard Show (funny sports podcast)
  • rSlash (just a podcast that reads the craziest Reddit posts of the day)
  • Predators I've Caught With Chris Hansen