The Political Lounge

Gerrymandering but you left it to the hands of a 16 year old.

Cenzonico

I did one of these right before the 2020 election.  My critiera for drawing the districts was simply "keep geographic communities together".  I got D-234(57) R-192(18).  The number in () represents the competitive districts (total 75).  Interestingly too, 158 districts had over 30% minority population.

Also interestingly, by pure chance, I made a district line go right down the street I live on, which when redistricting happened for real, I was only off by about 6 miles (which is pretty impressive for a really rural area).

Edited by OrangeP47

49 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

I did one of these right before the 2020 election.  My critiera for drawing the districts was simply "keep geographic communities together".  I got D-234(57) R-192(18).  The number in () represents the competitive districts (total 75).  Interestingly too, 158 districts had over 30% minority population.

Also interestingly, by pure chance, I made a district line go right down the street I live on, which when redistricting happened for real, I was only off by about 6 miles (which is pretty impressive for a really rural area).

That's funny. Most of the time I try to just see what seems "right" to me and go from there. Sometimes though I just legit gerrymander. The basic idea behind my map was "split as least as possible and try to make at least one district competitive" (for safe states). 

1 minute ago, Cenzonico said:

That's funny. Most of the time I try to just see what seems "right" to me and go from there. Sometimes though I just legit gerrymander. The basic idea behind my map was "split as least as possible and try to make at least one district competitive" (for safe states). 

Yeah I guess also secondary to my rule was I tried to keep counties together where possible, but I mean that's *sort of* restating what my first rule was, if counties are logical in a state, sometimes they're not though.

16 minutes ago, Zenobiyl said:

Funny enough it looks like this map gerrymandered blue states for the GOP and red states for the Dems.

This reminds me, I'm actually in the middle of remapping the country according to the Wyoming Rule (haven't gotten very far), but the conventional wisdom that it would help the Dems seems to be false to me.  Giving AL or AR an extra seat or two doesn't magically make the districts closer.  I haven't finished California yet (going alphabetically) so we'll see how many they gain that way though.