The Political Lounge

J Adams Presidency Poll

vcczar

J Adams Presidency Poll  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Did you take the two Washington presidency polls, one for each term? Do so before taking this one.

• I did so.
    • I did not do so and will take this poll first, despite urging us not to.
  2. 2. As a politician, which best captures you during this time?

• New England Federalist, such as John Adams, Oliver Ellsworth, and the grand majority of New England politicians.
    • New England Independent, such as John Hancock and Elbridge Gerry
    • A rare New England Jeffersonian, such as Samuel Adams
    • A Mid-Atlantic Federalists, such as Alexander Hamilton or John Jay
    • A Mid-Atlantic Independent, such as Benjamin Rush
    • A Mid-Atlantic Jeffersonian, such as Aaron Burr and Albert Gallatin
    • A Southern Federalist, such as John Marshall and CC Pinckney
    • A Southern Independent, such as George Washington
    • A Southern Jeffersonian, such as Thomas Jefferson and James Madison
    • A rare, almost non-existant Frontier Federalist
    • A Frontier independent, such as William Henry Harrison
    • A Frontier Jeffersonian, such as Andrew Jackson
  3. 3. Pres. Adams retains Washington's cabinet. Do you approve this move?

• I support the move primarily because we haven't protocol for removing cabinet officers.
    • I support the move because it provides continuity in government.
    • I oppose the move because the men were selected by Washington and may not fit Adams.
    • I oppose the move mainly because most of the cabinet are cronies of Alexander Hamilton.
    • I have no opinion
  4. 4. Revolutionary France has been capturing American ships in the Carribean and they have refused to accept our minister to France, CC Pinckney.

• This means war! I don't care if we haven't the army or navy. Declare war out of principal!
    • We should boost our defenses by improving defenses, raising an army, and building up the navy. Try to use diplomacy to resolve the crisis.
    • The French are our natural allies. All of this is just Federalists propaganda!
    • I have no opinion
  5. 5. You find fresh evidence of Alexander Hamilton's affair with the married Maria Reynolds. If you leak it, you might be able to destroy Hamilton's political future.

• Give the details of the affair to the press and let them do their damage.
    • Give the details of the affair to Thomas Jefferson and let him decide what to do.
    • Give the details to Alexander Hamilton do he can prepare to defend the charges.
    • Destroy the evidence to prevent any more political chaos.
    • I have no real opinion and will just leave the evidence for someone else to find and use.
  6. 6. Adams creates a peace commission of John Marshall, CC Pinckney, and Elbridge Gerry to send to Paris. Do you approve.

• I approve the peace mission.
    • I disapprove of the Pro-French Gerry as part of the mission, but I otherwise approve the initiative.
    • I disapprove of the peace mission primarily for partisan reasons.
    • I disapprove of the peace mission because we ought to be at war with France
    • I have no real opinion
  7. 7. XYZ Affair: Adams confides in you that the French requested a bribe to begin negotiation for peace and the commissioners refused to do so. What do you advise?

• Urge Adams to send a bribe, even if it will ruin his reelection chances and possibly destroy the Federalists.
    • Urge Adams to recall the diplomats and prepare for war.
    • Urge Adams to release the details of the negotiations publicly and see where the public and other politicians stand on the matter.
    • Urge Adams not to release the details because it might encourage support for war.
    • Advise nothing.
  8. 8. Adams appoints his son, JQ Adams, as Minister to Prussia. How do you react?

• This is nepotism!
    • Nepotism or not, he's too experienced and too talented to not use him.
    • I have no opinion on this.
  9. 9. Two figures have emerged in the US House as floor leaders--one Federalist and one Jeffersonian. Who do you support?

• Albert Gallatin of PA, who has taken over as the House Jeffersonian leader from James Madison.
    • Robert Goodloe Harper of SC, who is one of Hamilton's closest allies and a leading Federalist propagandist
    • I am uninterested in party politics.
  10. 10. Do you approve of Adams creating the Department of the Navy

• Yes, considering that we are dealing with British impressment, French captures, and Barbary Pirates, we need the Navy to have their own department.
    • No, the Sec of War can handle this and we don't need to expand government or the military.
  11. 11. News that Elbridge Gerry has stayed in France is provoking rumors that he is aiding the French because of his Pro-French tendencies. Some reports state he's there because France said they'd declare war if he leaves.

• Recall Gerry before he does some damage, such as helping Jeffersonians or the French. We can risk the war.
    • Do nothing and hope Gerry's patriotism prevents him from doing damage. At the least his presence there might deter war.
    • I have no opinion.
  12. 12. With war against France likely and American pro-French factions potentially ready to destable the Union, possibly helping France take US land, which Alien & Sedition Acts do you support?

• I don't support any of them as they set an awful precedence and could be aimed at Jeffersonian supporters, such as immigrants, many news publishers, and Federalist critics.
    • Alien Friends Act to deport any non-citizen deemed dangerous to the peace and national security.
    • Alien Enemies Act to arrest or relocate any non-citizen deemed dangerous to the peace and national security.
    • Naturalization Act to increase residency requirement for citizenship from 5 years to 14 years.
    • Sedition Act to make it illegal to make false and malicious statements about the government.
  13. 13. Federalists wish to pass the first Direct Tax in US history to pay for the military build up. How do you respond?

• I oppose the Direct Tax as unconstitutional, and encourage the government to raise money through volunteer donations or adjusting the budget.
    • I oppose the Direct Tax as unconstitutional, and encourage the government to raise money through increasing the tariff and raising existing taxes.
    • I oppose the Direct Tax as unconstitutional, and encourage the government to take out a foreign loan, most likely from the Dutch or Prussia.
    • I support the Direct Tax as the most efficient way to gain revenue to pay for a military build up.
  14. 14. Pres. Adams names George Washington as head of the emergency army. Adams and Washington are in conflict on who Washington's generals should be. Who of the below do you support as generals of the new army?

• George Washington as Commander in Chief, although his age makes him commander in name only.
    • Alexander Hamilton as Inspector General, his number 2 and the real commander. [Adams opposed this pick, but Washington forced him to accept]
    • Henry Knox of MA [refused to serve because he was senior to Hamilton]
    • CC Pinckney of SC [to help gain support from the generally Pro-French South]
    • William Smith [Adams's son-in-law, who Adams wanted to appoint, but Washington rejected]
    • Horatio Gates, an aged Rev War general [Adams recommendation but rejected]
    • Daniel Morgan, an aged Rev War general [ditto]
    • Benjamin Lincoln, ditto
    • James Wilkinson, the controversial but senior general of the army prior to Washington's return.
    • I'm uninterested in this issue
  15. 15. Gen. Washington demands the final say in all military matters. What do you advise Adams to do?

• Have Adams write an assertive letter stating that as he is now president, Adams has the final say. This would likely result in Washington resigning his commission, leaving the army under Hamilton, and plummeting Adams's reelection chances.
    • Reluctantly allow Washington the final say, even if Washington could be manipulated by Hamilton.
    • I don't know
  16. 16. The VA and KY Resolutions are published, calling on the states to nullify the Alien & Sedition Acts and any laws that are unconstitutional.

• I support these anonymous publications by Jefferson and Madison as I oppose these uncontitutional acts.
    • I oppose these publications because they are advocating an unconstitutional action to nullify unconstitutional acts.
    • I oppose the publications because nullification is unconstitutional and the Alien & Sedition Acts are constitutional temporary emergency measures.
  17. 17. Adams learns that the French are ready for peace. Hamilton and his allies are still pressing for war, with the rumor that Hamilton wants to land grab all territory this side of the Mississippi

• Advise Adams to keep quiet about peace efforts until peace is finalized.
    • Advise Adams to go public with peace initiatives to deflate support for war.
    • Break off peace negotiations so that Hamilton can fulfill his dream of becoming the American Napoleon Bonaparte.
    • No opinion
  18. 18. Adams creates a peace commission to negotiate a lasting peace treaty with France. He nominates William Vans Murray, Oliver Ellsworth, and Patrick Henry as diplomats. Who do you confirm?

• I reject all the nominee to prevent peace.
    • William Vans Murray (F-MD)
    • Oliver Ellsworth (F-CT)
    • Patrick Henry (I-VA), a former Jeffersonian turning to the Federalists in light of the French Rev. He will decline becaus of health and it will go to William R Davie of NC
  19. 19. Some Federalists are urging Washington to run for a non-consecutive 3rd term as he would be more popular than Adams. Do you support Washington as the Federalist nominee?

• Yes.
    • No because Adams as president has a right to reelection and/or is a stronger candidate
    • No because Washington is too old and/or outdated.
    • I don't care because I won't vote for Washington or Adams. Washington is even more supportive of the Alien & Sedition Acts than Adams!
  20. 20. George Washington dies. Do you attend the public funeral?

• Yes.
    • No, as I will follow Jefferson's example of declining to attend because of ideological differences.
  21. 21. A coup takes place in France placing Napoleon Bonaparte in power. He declares the end of the French Revolution. How do you respond?

• The change from Revolutionary France to French Enlightened Despotism does not matter to me.
    • My pro-French tendencies end with the death of the French Revolution. I am no fan of Napoleon.
    • I still dislike the French.
    • I am a fan of France regardless if Jacobins or Napoleon rule the nation.
    • I am more supportive of France now that they'll be led by a more stable and less reactionary government.
  22. 22. Adams disbands Hamilton's army, and fires two of the three Hamilton cronies in his cabinet, prompting Hamilton to call on his cronies to leave office with confidential documents so he can publicly attack Adams with any dirt he can find.

• I defend Adams's decision to disband a costly army that is no longer needed and removing cabinet members who take orders from Hamilton. Hamilton's public attack on Adams will mostly hurt Hamilton.
    • While I prefer Hamilton to Adams, I think Hamilton's decision was rash as it will destroy both Adams's reelection chances and Hamilton's career.
    • I strongly oppose Adams's actions and I support Hamilton's maneuvers.
    • I don't care about this drama.
  23. 23. Hamilton is plotting to peel votes from Adams and get CC Pinckney into the presidency in his stead. Do you support Hamilton's scheme?

• Yes, Adams is an unreliable Federalist.
    • Yes, but only because it will help Jefferson or Burr win the presidency.
    • No, someone should just cap Hamilton in the knees before he does any more damage.
    • This is not my concern
  24. 24. The 1800 Election! Who do you vote for for President and VP *YOU MUST PICK TWO PEOPLE AND ONLY TWO*

• John Adams F-MA
    • CC Pinckney F-SC
    • Thomas Jefferson JR-VA
    • Aaron Burr JR-NY
  25. 25. Oliver Ellsworth resigns as Chief Justice. After John Jay declines to serve in this spot again, Adams nominated his Sec of State John Marshall. Do you confirm John Marshall as Chief Justice?

26. 26. Adams has been defeated for reelection, but Thomas Jefferson and Aaron Burr have tied! The election goes to the House. Who do you support for president?

27. 27. News of peace with France has arrived. The Quasi-War has ended! How do you feel?

• I wish this news had arrived earlier as it woud have won Adams his reelection.
    • I am happy for the peace.
    • I oppose the peace because we can use war to beef up the military.
    • I have no reaction
  28. 28. Congress proposes a bill to create 23 new lower court justices to double the size of the circuit court to aid with overwork. Do you support it?

• Yes, the lack of justices is causing frequent turnover on the courts because no one can handle the work load.
    • Yes, but only because Adams will pack the court with Federalists just as a Jeffersonian is about to take office.
    • No, because it too greatly increases the size of government.
    • No, because these "Midnight Judges" seem like a last second effort to weaken Jefferson's incoming government through the court system.
    • I don't care
  29. 29. How do you rate John Adams's presidency?

• Strong approve
    • Mostly approve
    • Undecided
    • Mostly disapprove
    • Strongly approve.
  30. 30. As you watch Thomas Jefferson taking the inauguration, how do you feel?

• Elated!
    • Hopeful or optimistic
    • No reaction or no prevailing emotion.
    • Disappointed or sad
    • Angry and bitter

4 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

I love this series. I'm actually learning a lot of things I didn't know as well. I didn't know about a lot of the drama and partisanship that occurred in this era.

Yeah, it was insane. Part of the chaos is because there was a total lack of precedence for most things. Parties were also more fluid or decentralized, so it was hard to really predict how votes would go or who or who wouldn't have your back, etc. 

On top of this, you have Hamilton, Jefferson, and Burr--all who were the most manipulative and ambitious people at the time. They were all quite similar in personality. Burr was the most ideological unpredictable. Hamilton the most consistent. Jefferson was probably the most hypocritical. 

Washington was also hypocritical but he wasn't trying to rock the boat. Adams was probably the most genuinely independent. His Federalist identity had more to do with already agreeing with most of their policies than going along with the party platform. Adams was more independent than Washington, despite Washington not formally joining the Federalists. 

• Based 1

3 hours ago, DakotaHale said:

I love this series. I'm actually learning a lot of things I didn't know as well. I didn't know about a lot of the drama and partisanship that occurred in this era.

RT and would also love if you could include the book you read to come up with these questions and if you’d recommend them @vcczar

• Like 2

I feel as if the options this term don't really diverge. That's not a criticism.  I guess it's more an observation that maybe there was only one possible sane course of action, and while we can fight over it, Adams did what he had to do, even if it left him deeply unpopular.  I mean, I don't generally like his term, but it was hard to find a "better" option here mostly, especially as I don't like Jefferson either.

1 hour ago, OrangeP47 said:

I feel as if the options this term don't really diverge. That's not a criticism.  I guess it's more an observation that maybe there was only one possible sane course of action, and while we can fight over it, Adams did what he had to do, even if it left him deeply unpopular.  I mean, I don't generally like his term, but it was hard to find a "better" option here mostly, especially as I don't like Jefferson either.

Part of it is that I was rushed to finish the poll. I can’t stop once I start and it takes over an hour to make them and I was needed to do stuff at home. 

9 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Part of it is that I was rushed to finish the poll. I can’t stop once I start and it takes over an hour to make them and I was needed to do stuff at home. 

Well like I said, it wasn't a criticism.  I didn't really feel as if the options were lacking.  It was more as if the path was obvious regardless of your affiliation unlike Washington's terms, and the things people disagree on are really sports teams type things rather than actual policy.

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, DJBillyShakes said:

Adams was probably too temperamental and combative to be a truly great president, but I think that he ranks highly for foreign policy. I also feel like he doesn't get enough credit for his work in the Revolution.

He also had a stronger economy than Washington had. If not for the Alien & Sedition Acts, he probably would rank a lot higher. To his credit, he showed tremendous restraint with this power. 

As far as temperament, I agree. These are the presidents that lacked the temperament to be a great political leader as president:

• John Adams
  • John Quincy Adams
  • William Henry Harrison
  • John Tyler
  • Zachary Taylor
  • Andrew Johnson
  • Jimmy Carter
  • Donad Trump

The following had a proper temperament but lacked the wisdom, foresight, and flexibility to be a great president: 

• Franklin Pierce
  • James Buchanan
  • Grover Cleveland
  • Warren G Harding
  • Calvin Coolidge
  • George W Bush

Wild Cards include:

• Andrew Jackson, who seemed to lack the temperament to be a great politician president, but was neary as masterful as Jefferson in leading the party. 
  • Richard Nixon, who clearly lacked wisdom, but has tremendous foresight, flexibility and temperament in many other ways. 
  • Ulysses S Grant had a level of niavity and inexperience that made him occasionally problematic. 

All presidents had weak moments and areas of failure, so someone like LBJ is always arguable on a list like this, but he was splendid outside of Vietnam, for the most part. 

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

He also had a stronger economy than Washington had. If not for the Alien & Sedition Acts, he probably would rank a lot higher. To his credit, he showed tremendous restraint with this power. 

As far as temperament, I agree. These are the presidents that lacked the temperament to be a great political leader as president:

• John Adams
  • John Quincy Adams
  • William Henry Harrison
  • John Tyler
  • Zachary Taylor
  • Andrew Johnson
  • Jimmy Carter
  • Donad Trump

The following had a proper temperament but lacked the wisdom, foresight, and flexibility to be a great president: 

• Franklin Pierce
  • James Buchanan
  • Grover Cleveland
  • Warren G Harding
  • Calvin Coolidge
  • George W Bush

Wild Cards include:

• Andrew Jackson, who seemed to lack the temperament to be a great politician president, but was neary as masterful as Jefferson in leading the party. 
  • Richard Nixon, who clearly lacked wisdom, but has tremendous foresight, flexibility and temperament in many other ways. 
  • Ulysses S Grant had a level of niavity and inexperience that made him occasionally problematic. 

All presidents had weak moments and areas of failure, so someone like LBJ is always arguable on a list like this, but he was splendid outside of Vietnam, for the most part. 

Carter is an interesting choice on that list, but I agree completely. The others are mostly hot-headed or else too passive (Taylor, Harrison). Carter was neither, instead too active and confident. If you've never read the relevant edition of James David Barber's The Presidential Character (the first major work of political psychology on the presidency), he actually predicts that Carter's mix of activity and outlook would lead to Carter being an all-time great president. That personality would instead be his downfall.

11 minutes ago, DJBillyShakes said:

Carter is an interesting choice on that list, but I agree completely. The others are mostly hot-headed or else too passive (Taylor, Harrison). Carter was neither, instead too active and confident. If you've never read the relevant edition of James David Barber's The Presidential Character (the first major work of political psychology on the presidency), he actually predicts that Carter's mix of activity and outlook would lead to Carter being an all-time great president. That personality would instead be his downfall.

I don't think I've read that book, but I've read some like that. Carter's personality was so ill-suited for DC politics, which means ill-suited for president too. He and Trump are strangely similar in this matter.

I'll make a new tag list based on who responded to the Washington and Adams polls, so I can alert only those interested. 

In other news, I've begun the Madison book by Cost. This author is a lot like Meacham, who wrote the Jefferson book, in that he doesn't give a lot of specific dates. He's also less chronologically organized and seems to skip over details. He's most specific in Madison's personality and reading interests. While interesting, it doesn't help me much as it could for the timeline I'm creating. Fortunately, the Washington book (Chernow) and Adams book (McCullough) were both written by authors that were diligent in giving exact dates and chronological events and both had information on Madison I could use. In fact, the Washington, Adams, and Jefferson books have given me more timeline detail so far. However, I'm only up to about the Constitutional Convention, so maybe the book gets more date-oriented soon.