The Political Lounge

AMPU Updates

I've now added EVs for all hypothetical states from 1788-3000

Most of these places sort of just explode in the 20th century. US might acquire these places thinking they'll be a bunch of North Dakotas but then some become super Californias. 

• Like 1

Filled out the scripted events used to go to war to expand in Central America, South America, and in the Caribbean. For the most part, the conditions are:

• When they're colonies of great powers, relations with the great powers has to be enemies in order to potentially trigger it. 
  • Post-colony, the president has to have "expansionist" and either "slavery" or "steel navy" has to exist. 
  • Era of the Gilded Age (1868) and Era of Progressivism (1896) are generally the end date to try and acquire these territories. 
  • Each one only has a 5% chance of occurring if these conditions are met. 

Basically, it's going to be VERY rare unless you get a string of expansionist presidents. 

Added a General Event which pops up only if the US has a far-flung Empire. This results in a loss of stability, which shows the logistical difficulties of maintaining the empire. It allows for a trigger for the scripted event to release these countries, if desired. 

54 minutes ago, Patine said:

This is a heart-wrenching thought. 😞

I have the states as:

• Quebec (including the provinces to the East and North of it)
  • Ontario (including North of it)
  • Central Canada (Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and North of it)
  • Alberta (and North of it)
  • Columbia (British Columbia and North of it)

By American perspectives, the North of Canada is too sparsely populated for statehood and are under the jurisdiction of the Canadian "states." The merging is mainly to somewhat balance the populations of the states but also because Americans would be loathe to give any "foreign region" too many US Senators. This is also why Brazil is only 5 states and Mexico is only 5 states and Philippines are only 3 states. This is also why these places will be very hard to hold on to. 

18 minutes ago, Patine said:

The Maritimes should be separate from Quebec, in all rational viewpoint. Imagine how a New England/Louisiana hybrid U.S. State would come across.

I'll consider it. I don't know if the analogy is that great considering the Maritimes border Quebec, while New England and Louisiana do not. I think a better analogy would be Utah/Arizona or Louisiana/Mississippi or Louisiana/Texas, although ideologically they're similar--there is just some cultural differences. 

Today I'm going to split up all of the generated given names and surnames into "male" "female" "spanish" "french" etc. so that generated names for the game will be more realistic. No need for a female politician named Bruce Popinski as the first US Senator of Puerto Rico. 

• Like 1

This what is left to do until I'm "done." The goal is for May 1st:

• Finish CPU Generated Names
    • This is mostly done. Might take another day or two. 
  • Add new rules not yet in the rules
    • There aren't that many of these, and I might be able to type them up and just sent them to @MrPotatoTed to put into the rules as he's polishing those up. Won't take long. 
  • Go through all the spreadsheets fill holes and make more user-friendly for development. 
    • This is going to be the most time-consuming part as I may need to divide information into several more columns. Volunteers would be great: @ConservativeElector2 @Hestia @Zenobiyl @Cal @Dobs @WVProgressive @Rodja but note that work on this would have a strict, upcoming deadline, so it might involve more of a time commitment than you'd like. I'll do by myself, obviously, it if I can't get help. This will probably take a week or more, depending on momentum. 
  • Offices Spreadsheet
    • Won't take long. Maybe an hour or two.
  • States/Territories Spreadsheets
    • Won't take long. Maybe an hour or two. 
  • 2nd Draft of Screens
    • Depends on feedback from @ConservativeElector2 or anyone else that wants to look at early drafts of the screens. Shouldn't take more than a day or two. 
  • Re-read An Economic History of the United States to see if there is anything else I should add or do. 
    • This will take about 4 hours for me to read (I read fast and know what to skip in this book), and probably a day or two to process anything new. 
  • Begin playtest
    • @MrPotatoTed can begin the playtest at this point, provided he's done with the rules and can set the game up. The playtest can theoretically begin after the May 1st due date if necessary. 
  • Finish Era of the Future
    • I'll be doing this last because it's the lowest priority. I'll be added a lot of new things. In fact, I might still be working on this beyond the May 1st due date. 
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

Begin playtest

• @MrPotatoTed can begin the playtest at this point, provided he's done with the rules and can set the game up. The playtest can theoretically begin after the May 1st due date if necessary

Im in for the next playtest if you need me!What era will we begin in? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rodja said:

Im in for the next playtest if you need me!What era will we begin in? 

Era of Independence 1774. We were going to start in 2016, but I won't have the Era of the Future done for awhile, and I need to test this first era since it will begin the game.

• Like 1

For my rules update:  I've been working on trimming down the rules and rewriting them to make them more easy to quickly understand.  I've also been changing the order of the flow of the game, as well.  I'm including player tips, things to think about on the strategy front, basically a guide for someone who has never heard of AMPU before -- they can pick it up and start playing with confidence.  It will also hopefully be easier to read for our long-time players.  I'm also making very minor rule tweaks along the way, with Vcczar's approval of course.

I've gone through a few different versions of this as I keep improving the flow/formatting so that the rules don't feel as overwhelming without getting rid of all of the awesome, fun systems Vcczar has created and how well they all flow together.  I think this current draft is good enough to be "final" (pending folks' feedback).  It currently covers the introduction, historical eras, draft, career track, trimming rosters, the flip-flopper train, relocations, ideology shifts, politician conversions, kingmaker/proteges, and determining faction personalities (distribution of cards).

My hope is that I'll be able to stay on this schedule:

Friday, April 16: Cover congressional leadership, committee appointments, faction and party leadership battles

Saturday, April 17:  Presidential appointments, cabinet confirmation, ambassadors and Generals

Sunday, April 18:  Deaths, retirements, general events, scripted events

Monday, April 19: Lingering Phase, governor actions, Supreme Court 

Tuesday, April 20: Foreign Affairs:  Diplomacy and war

Wednesday, April 21: Congressional actions, legislative process

Thursday, April 22:  The Executive Office: Vetoes, executive action, supreme court retirements/nomination/confirmation process

Friday, April 23: Elections!

Saturday, April 24: Special Start Scenario: The Constitutional Convention

Sunday, April 25:  Special rules (everything from coups to overthrow the country, to how to incorporate ahistorical states from military conquests, etc).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

For my rules update:  I've been working on trimming down the rules and rewriting them to make them more easy to quickly understand.  I've also been changing the order of the flow of the game, as well.  I'm including player tips, things to think about on the strategy front, basically a guide for someone who has never heard of AMPU before -- they can pick it up and start playing with confidence.  It will also hopefully be easier to read for our long-time players.  I'm also making very minor rule tweaks along the way, with Vcczar's approval of course.

I've gone through a few different versions of this as I keep improving the flow/formatting so that the rules don't feel as overwhelming without getting rid of all of the awesome, fun systems Vcczar has created and how well they all flow together.  I think this current draft is good enough to be "final" (pending folks' feedback).  It currently covers the introduction, historical eras, draft, career track, trimming rosters, the flip-flopper train, relocations, ideology shifts, politician conversions, kingmaker/proteges, and determining faction personalities (distribution of cards).

My hope is that I'll be able to stay on this schedule:

Friday, April 16: Cover congressional leadership, committee appointments, faction and party leadership battles

Saturday, April 17:  Presidential appointments, cabinet confirmation, ambassadors and Generals

Sunday, April 18:  Deaths, retirements, general events, scripted events

Monday, April 19: Lingering Phase, governor actions, Supreme Court 

Tuesday, April 20: Foreign Affairs:  Diplomacy and war

Wednesday, April 21: Congressional actions, legislative process

Thursday, April 22:  The Executive Office: Vetoes, executive action, supreme court retirements/nomination/confirmation process

Friday, April 23: Elections!

Saturday, April 24: Special Start Scenario: The Constitutional Convention

Sunday, April 25:  Special rules (everything from coups to overthrow the country, to how to incorporate ahistorical states from military conquests, etc).

Sounds great. I'll email you some updates to rules, nothing too drastic, I don't think. 

• Like 1

Name generator is finished. May add some more names at some point:

Male Given Surname Female Given Surname Given Spanish Given Portuguese
Ashton Byrd Fernanda Lincoln Ray San Martin Hendrick Dias
Dean Adams Barbara Wilson Arthur Castro Matt Bustos
Tancred Bevilacqua Consuelo Greene Woodrow Becerra Lorelai Gonzales
Schuyler Hubbell Paulette White Janet Guevara Narcissa Brasil
Lucas Buchanan Ann Rodgers B.J. Acosta Theresa Chaves
Ezra Galloway Kate Sherman Given French Given Scandinavian
Bourke Blackburn Jean Bibb Fob Fromentin Claude Boen
Rawghlie Malone Tara Arthur Rob Verlaine Ken Gronna
Erastus Mongiardo Juliana Marshfellow Jay Jay Capet Susan Magnuson
Alexis Quinn Naomi Lingle Gretchen La Follette Kendra Quisling
Frederick Maverick Guadelupe Fields Cathy Moeur Megan Boe

28 minutes ago, Patine said:

They're still all European derived. There's no Asian ones. And they don't into account the perennial naming trends of African-American for pseudo Afro-Centric given names, that may become more prominent in future American politicians (Kongo's and Moesha's in American politics maybe a thing in the country's political future outside Black Panther or successor fringe parties). And Native Americans using traditional last names (not Means or Warren), may start arising in prevelance.

That's the names there generated. There are about 30 Native American names, about 30 African names, I could include more of both. There's about 100 Asian names. In all, there's 6,600 names but most are European. 80% of the names come from the database of historical politicians. Therefore, only 20% are introduced from outside US history. 

I'll be happy to add more names if you can do the following for me: 

1. Give me a number of male names of the heritages you believe are neglected. 
  2. Give me a number of female names of the heritages you believe are neglected.
  3. Give me a number of surnames of the heritages you believe are neglect. 

When you email or post them, put them in a vertical list (so I can copy+paste them in), but make sure they're grouped in one of the three groups listed above. So for Chinese names:

Cao

Liu

Wu

Wang

Zilong

Mushu

Zhuge

Ma

Zedong

Chiang

and so on. I might not have much time left to add any more names, so I'd appreciate it if you could compile a list organized as I mention above.  

50 minutes ago, Patine said:

Sorry, which response? It doesn't seem to be on this specific thread.

Just responding so people know we talked and that you've agreed to help out with a list of names, categorized by type. Much appreciated!

• Like 1

Update: 

Increased the number of attempts for the Northwest Indian War since the game will now start in 1774. 

Changing the names of the treaties to specific locations, such as Treaty of Paris instead of Rev War Treaty, although some will have generic titles.