The Political Lounge

AMPU Updates

7 hours ago, vcczar said:

Update: 

• I've made a new copy of the AMPU Statesman spreadsheet and added XML to the title. 
  • I've reformatted the spreadsheet in a way that should make it easier to transition it to XML.
  • I've tagged all the "what if" politicians (those with asterisks in their name) with why they are tagged. "Black Suffrage" becomes draftable in the event that African-Americans get the right to vote early; "Women's Suffrage" is the same for women before historic suffrage; "Native American Suffrage" is the same for Native Americans, and then there are "What if," which must be turned on before the game starts. This allows Winston Churchill, Boris Johnson (both with an American president), Marquis de Lafayette, some First Ladies and others to enter the game. 

I have to work my paid job now for 8 hours. I may multi-task a bit. Tomorrow, I'll see if I can translate the statesman spreadsheet to XML. 

Update: Tomorrow through next week, I will work on all the Spreadsheets and making them XML-friendly. Right now trying to convert a google sheet to XML. It's been taking hours to compile it for some reason.

Update: It might take me two more days to finish the Gov Action updates. It's taking longer than I expected to find the dates in which all 50 states activate/deactivate each law. I'm a little surprised how inaccessible this information is for some states.  

Update: Still laboring away on Gov issues. Just takes a long time to set the historical dates for activation and deactivation. Right now on term limits, term years, etc. The states change their constitutions so much that I'm just putting in huge blocks of information into the cells. I'm about half-way done with Gov Actions, so it might take another day or two on these. 

After this, I have Legis props and pres actions, but these are much more flesh out already. 

Something devastating happened in my personal life last night/this morning that will likely impact my ability to get everything ready by May 1st. In fact, I might not be on this forum very much for some period of time.

I'll continue working on the game, but some days I might not be able to work at all. Some days I might work only an hour or 30 minutes. For the foreseeable future, I doubt I'll be able to spent 8, 12, 16 hours a day on the game anymore.

I think I have enough to hand in to Anthony regardless, although I'd much prefer turning in something slightly more polished. I think the essential part by May 1st is the polished rules. 

Life might be hard for me for awhile, but I'll be okay.

@ConservativeElector2 @MrPotatoTed @Hestia @Cal @Dobs @WVProgressive @Rodja @Rezi @Zenobiyl and anyone else.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Something devastating happened in my personal life last night/this morning that will likely impact my ability to get everything ready by May 1st. In fact, I might not be on this forum very much for some period of time.

I'll continue working on the game, but some days I might not be able to work at all. Some days I might work only an hour or 30 minutes. For the foreseeable future, I doubt I'll be able to spent 8, 12, 16 hours a day on the game anymore.

I think I have enough to hand in to Anthony regardless, although I'd much prefer turning in something slightly more polished. I think the essential part by May 1st is the polished rules. 

Life might be hard for me for awhile, but I'll be okay.

@ConservativeElector2 @MrPotatoTed @Hestia @Cal @Dobs @WVProgressive @Rodja @Rezi @Zenobiyl and anyone else.  

I'm really sorry to hear.  As I always say during these and other games, "real life comes first."  Take all the time you need, we and the game will still be here whenever you're able to return.  

I would expect that Anthony would say the same, but if he doesn't, then we can move on without him.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Update: I've done about as much as I'll do for the Gov Actions and Legis Actions before the May 1st deadline. 

I'm now creating a Spreadsheet for States and for Offices. Then I need to get back to the rules and screens. If time remains, I can polish some other things a little more. 

@ConservativeElector2 @MrPotatoTed @Hestia @Zenobiyl @WVProgressive @Rodja and anyone else

• Like 1

Update: Today I worked on the SC Case, States, and Offices spreadsheets. I'm not finished with either of these. 

Tomorrow, I'll work on these some more, create screens relevant to Era of Independence, and hopefully work on some more of the rules. 

Saturday is the due date, but I'm going to assume Anthony won't check his mail until Monday, May 3rd. 

@ConservativeElector2 @MrPotatoTed @Hestia @Zenobiyl @WVProgressive @Rodja

• Like 1

Update: I've created screens for the Era of Independence. There are about 4 screens that are used for this phase only -- all involving the Continental Congress/Constitutional Convention. 

I also did a little work on the States/Territories Screen, but I got paid work I need to work on.

Tomorrow, I'll likely be trying to work on my domestic life to prevent things from getting worse at home. My work-a-holic nature has been causing issues. I have to try and be more present at home. AMPU, which has been three years in the making, has been an enormous sacrifice for me at the expense of both my time, my social life, and--more importantly--my home life. 

On Sunday, I will be doing the last work before I hand everything to Anthony. This will be my last work-a-holic day. I'll be going over everything. After this,  I don't expect to touch AMPU again until Anthony needs me to work on something. Who knows when that will be, but it sounds like he's ready for it. 

@ConservativeElector2 @MrPotatoTed @Hestia @Zenobiyl @WVProgressive @Rodja

• Like 2

Update: 

Today is the "last day" I'm working on AMPU before handing the game over to Anthony. I'm sure he'll want me to work on it some more at some point as there are no doubt some empty cells, inconsistencies or archaic terms, although I expect everything is about 95% where it needs to be. 

Here is my checklist for today, some of which I've started on: 

• Add "default" legislation for all subgenre of legislation so that the categories say something when all laws for those subgenres are inactive. 
  • Create Dominant Ideology for Party by Era for factions that aren't dominating an ideology
  • Update rules w/ CPU movements and with any new rules devised over the past month. Add new tariff/tax rules that make more sense for when either is raised or lowered. 
  • Double check all the spreadsheets and fix any errors that might dissuade Anthony from working on the game or terribly slow him down. 
  • Finish adding and filling out Era of the Future 

@MrPotatoTed @ConservativeElector2 @Hestia @Zenobiyl @WVProgressive @Rodja @WVProgressive @Cal @Dobs @DakotaHale and anyone else interested in this game. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Patine said:

The thought of Anthony profiting from your work - or that of anyone here - is deeply unpleasant. But if he is the only one who will do so, and you did try other avenues, then I wish you good luck! 😛

I can understand that. Here was my process:

1. If not Anthony, then who? Me or someone else?
  2. I am not a programmer or a developer and cannot learn these skills quick enough. Therefore, I have three options: Anthony, myself via funding a freelance developer, or another video game company. 
  3. Considering, I would have to spend hours and personal resources fundraising a freelance developer who may or may not have that much experience in game-making--especially political games--I should consider someone that has a company and has made political games. 
  4. Considering few companies have made political games, I will email the few companies. Of these companies -- only one has made political games connected to the US, while the others seem more interested in the military aspects of politics and are based in Europe, besides my game seems to be drastically different in format to the types of games they make. One company and Anthony remain as the only companies that have a US political game and are also based in North America.
  5. I email that one company that is not Anthony, convinced that I'd at least get a response, but I don't get one. I don't think video game companies are receptive to games created by people that aren't developers and programmers. In fact, I can't think of a single 21st century PC game (aside from games that were originally board games) that are made by non-computer science people.  I must come off as quack doctor or someone demanding to be drafted by an NFL Football team despite having no record of playing the sport and little knowledge of the rules. 
  6. Meanwhile, Anthony has been receptive since the beginning, even before it seemed like he would take it on. It doesn't seem to concern him that I have no programming knowledge. I think the trust in me is probably built via my knowledge on US history and US politics shown in the 270Soft Forum. 
  7. As such, both my only clear path and the path of least resistance is working with Anthony. 

This said, were I independently wealthy, I would start my one PC game company and make a bunch of history-based video games--none of which exist as games currently. I would design the games and have my programmers and developers make them. If I were independently wealthy, I'd aim at making two new games a year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vcczar said:
  • Considering few companies have made political games, I will email the few companies. Of these companies -- only one has made political games connected to the US, while the others seem more interested in the military aspects of politics and are based in Europe, besides my game seems to be drastically different in format to the types of games they make. One company and Anthony remain as the only companies that have a US political game and are also based in North America.
  •  

Which companies if it's not a secret?

Edited by Rodja

9 minutes ago, Rodja said:

Which companies if it's not a secret?

I emailed the company that makes The Political Process. I also considered Paradox, Picaresque, Redwood and a bunch of places that the MiddlePolitical suggested. 

21 hours ago, vcczar said:

I can understand that. Here was my process:

1. If not Anthony, then who? Me or someone else?
  2. I am not a programmer or a developer and cannot learn these skills quick enough. Therefore, I have three options: Anthony, myself via funding a freelance developer, or another video game company. 
  3. Considering, I would have to spend hours and personal resources fundraising a freelance developer who may or may not have that much experience in game-making--especially political games--I should consider someone that has a company and has made political games. 
  4. Considering few companies have made political games, I will email the few companies. Of these companies -- only one has made political games connected to the US, while the others seem more interested in the military aspects of politics and are based in Europe, besides my game seems to be drastically different in format to the types of games they make. One company and Anthony remain as the only companies that have a US political game and are also based in North America.
  5. I email that one company that is not Anthony, convinced that I'd at least get a response, but I don't get one. I don't think video game companies are receptive to games created by people that aren't developers and programmers. In fact, I can't think of a single 21st century PC game (aside from games that were originally board games) that are made by non-computer science people.  I must come off as quack doctor or someone demanding to be drafted by an NFL Football team despite having no record of playing the sport and little knowledge of the rules. 
  6. Meanwhile, Anthony has been receptive since the beginning, even before it seemed like he would take it on. It doesn't seem to concern him that I have no programming knowledge. I think the trust in me is probably built via my knowledge on US history and US politics shown in the 270Soft Forum. 
  7. As such, both my only clear path and the path of least resistance is working with Anthony. 

This said, were I independently wealthy, I would start my one PC game company and make a bunch of history-based video games--none of which exist as games currently. I would design the games and have my programmers and developers make them. If I were independently wealthy, I'd aim at making two new games a year.

That's actually a fair breakdown.  I hadn't viewed it that way before.

18 hours ago, vcczar said:

I emailed the company that makes The Political Process. I also considered Paradox, Picaresque, Redwood and a bunch of places that the MiddlePolitical suggested. 

Yep, definitely Political Process would have been the most logical fit.  Sorry to hear they never responded!

• 2 weeks later...

@MrPotatoTed @ConservativeElector2 @Hestia @Zenobiyl @WVProgressive @Rodja @WVProgressive @Cal @Dobs @DakotaHale and anyone else interested in this game. 

Update

• Anthony says he still needs a couple more weeks to finish updating President Infinity. The good news is that he seems to be open to moving his games on to Steam, which I assume will include AMPU. As such, the "achievements" that you all came up with might be used. 
  • I have identified all the offices, legislation, events, etc., for every possible start date. This means that the game should be able to begin at the beginning of any presidential term from Washington in 1789 through Biden in 2021. There will also be the 1774 start date. 
  • @ConservativeElector2 is helping me fill out all of the new politicians I'm adding because the new start dates. A lot of Governors, Senators, and US Reps are being added. For the former two, most of those served only about 2 years in those roles but were active at the beginning of a term. Many smaller states will have more politicians now, which is good. Expect about 250 to 1000 new politicians. I'm still figuring out which ones aren't already in the game. 
  • I assume @MrPotatoTed is still putting the rules in shape. If so, I'm assuming these will need to be "done" in about two weeks, although there could always be a delay again. 
  • I was hoping to take a break from AMPU work to work on other projects, but I'm going to try and just "perfect" the AMPU spreadsheets and such so I can hand the game to another developer if Anthony delays this beyond the Summer. In the event of this, I'll likely fundraise to get a graphic designer to make mockup screens so I can fundraise more money to get a freelance developer, if I can't get a company to take the game. However, I think Anthony wants to do it, and I think he'll be more into it once he really understands the game. Who would not be? This will be a big hit. 
  • Like 2