The Political Lounge

Alt States EV Project

Figured this really should be a thread instead of just spamming the PM all the time.

States I did this morning:

26. Latin Columbia
27. Liberia

26 - Latin Columbia is a beast, it's EV count at the end stage rivals California (and indeed might be higher than it because the events take some EVs away from CA as I've written them).  Also unlike some other Latin American states that I've written so far, development isn't dependent on WW2, so it's just going to be a beast of a state if you get it.  It does start to decline a bit at the tail end of the timeline, so really "LT follows the path of CA" is a really good metaphor".

27 - Takes some EVs from high African-American population states to represent migration, though it actually doesn't swipe many EVs this way. It also develops tourism and military bases so it has a broad portfolio.

• Like 2
  • Based 1

Also small side note:  I'm going to bump up the priority of the synergy events between alt state EVs.  They will work fine as is if you only have a few alt-states, but if you have multiple regions I'm going to start writing some edge-case events where alt-states will pull EVs from other alt-states so we don't entirely depopulate my favorite historical states to beat up.

(Example that prompted this:  Even though I haven't gotten to Panama yet, I'm going to make Panama possibly pull from Latin Columbia if you have both, since these two states are actually acquired via different means)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Lunch Special:  

28. Lima
29. Luzon

28 - Fairly Straightforward, but @vcczar I noticed you have both Lima and Peru as speaking Portuguese is that intended?

29 - Most ambitious set of events, because unlike a lot of these alt states, they have periods of time where they decrease in EVs.  Luzon is basically the "rural" section of the islands, without Manilla and Quezon, but is still quite heavily populated by the end.  I've gone ahead and added some intermotion between LU and QZ even though QZ is way down the alphabetical list.  This is another state that I made full development dependent on WW2, but also the first state that, as previously mentioned, because it sometimes loses EVs, will give back EVs to the mainland at times.

• Like 1

Just now, OrangeP47 said:

The Lunch Special:  

28. Lima
29. Luzon

28 - Fairly Straightforward, but @vcczar I noticed you have both Lima and Peru as speaking Portuguese is that intended?

29 - Most ambitious set of events, because unlike a lot of these alt states, they have periods of time where they decrease in EVs.  Luzon is basically the "rural" section of the islands, without Manilla and Quezon, but is still quite heavily populated by the end.  I've gone ahead and added some intermotion between LU and QZ even though QZ is way down the alphabetical list.  This is another state that I made full development dependent on WW2, but also the first state that, as previously mentioned, because it sometimes loses EVs, will give back EVs to the mainland at times.

Oh, thats probably something I forgot to change when I edited all of the alt states at some point. 

• Thanks 1

Did some more before bed.

30. Manitoba
31. Mindanao
32. Miranda

30 - Really straight forward in the 1772-2020 timescale

31 - Almost exclusively agriculture focused, unlikely the city-state-state of Davao which as mentioned in the PM was finance based by the end of cycle.

32 - This is basically the city-state-state of Caracas and surrounding cities in Venezuela.  I did a thing where it does have diverse industry in the 1950s and the order for which the industries develop is dynamic, however, by the 2020s, Caracas is firmly a financial based city like NYC, though not nearly as big.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

33. Monterrey

Did one early today, hope to do more this long weekend.  I didn't realize just how vital this area was to Mexico's economy (Nuevo Leon alone accounts for roughly 12% of Mexico's GDP).  As such, if you have this state in an alt-history, a lot of historical states are gonna be squeezed with some competition, heh.  It's a very good state to have, though.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Been a bit busy (can't remember who all I told, but I'm in the middle of a *big* promotion at work), but I've gotten a few states done lately.

34. New Brunswick
35. Newfoundland
36. Nicaragua
37. North Chile

34 - I actually have a soft spot for New Brunswick, having written the backstory for a char for an rpg tabletop I played once as having been from there.  That said, it's not a very exciting state, but I tried to spice it up.  Despite getting only *one* event, that event improves *two* industries and also steals an EV from Massachusetts.  The flavor, though, is just generic economic diversification.

35 - it's another always 3 EV state so nothing to do

36 - Pretty straightforward, it actually caps out lower than I thought.  A mostly agricultural state, but in the 20th century I gave it a shift to manufacturing as seems standard

37 - I like this state, because it's a mining state.  Very few states specialize in mining.  It's growth stops early though, for the most part, so when it picks up a spare EV or two near the end of the timeline I also shifted it to manufacturing and tried to make it steal EVs from rust belt states that I've stolen from less frequently in the past.

• Like 3
  • Based 1

6 minutes ago, Murrman104 said:

Just want to say I really appreciate these write ups 

Honestly, this wasn't the specific reason I wanted to do this, but a few months ago one of the most common questions we got was "Can X be a state?" and really, only V knew what the alt states *were*.  So yeah, while the point of this is to fill out the EV changes, I really just thought it'd be handy if everyone knew exactly what was and was not a valid state.  Since I posted the first ones in the PM, I'll post the full list of states I've completed events for or audited below.  I will also say there are 112 entries in the file I'm working from, but that doesn't paint the full picture, as it includes the historical 50 states, and also doesn't account for some things like California being split into two states, or Texas into four, or admitting Canada as one state instead of individual provinces (which I think is possible but I'm not familiar with).

1. Alberta
2. Amazonia
3. Antilles
4. Argentina
5. Bermuda
6. Bogota
7. Belize
8. Bahamas
9. Baja Sonora
10. Bolivia
11. Brazil
12. Costa Rica
13. Cuba
14. Davao
15. Durango
16. Ecuador
17. El Salvador
18. Greenland
19. Guatemala
20. Guayas 
21. Guianas
22. Haiti
23. Honduras
24. Iceland
25. Jamaica
26. Latin Columbia
27. Liberia
28. Lima
29. Luzon
30. Manitoba
31. Mindanao
32. Miranda
33. Monterrey
34. New Brunswick
35. Newfoundland
36. Nicarauga
37. North Chile

• Like 1

Also I guess presuming by the fact that I haven't hit Deseret yet (going in alphabetical order basically) means there are a few other "fusion states" etc that aren't counted in that 112, so if you want a total of how many max states are possible, I don't know, because some are mutually exclusive or are combine/split from others.

• 2 weeks later...

Should have picked this back up faster but been busy.

38. Northern Canada
39. Nova Scotia
40. Old Mexico

38-39 were really easy.  A lot of Canadian Provinces are low pop/straight forward.

40 - This one is a trip though.  I did a few things differently here than on any other state, though things I'd seen V do on historical EV events so it's not unprecedented.  Namely, in the later half of the 20th century/early 21st, the state grows quite rapidly, so the events are more about tension between new residents/old residents than industry growth.  Before that though, in the 19th century, it's an agricultural state (we have a lot of those, but haven't done one for awhile), but it stagnates post-civil war, and then post WW2 it booms as a tourist destination, so I get to beat up on FL/CA for awhile. It then invests those tourist dollars into a high-tech industry (beating up on CA more, but also other developed states).  Quite a good range of events.  It bears repeating, I know it seems like I beat up on the same historical states quite often, but realistically you won't have all (or even *many*) of the alt-states every run, so it's okay if there's some duplication.

• Like 2

Just one this morning, wanted to do one "quick" but it was a more involved one.

41. Ontario

For some reason Ontario seems to start out weaker than IOTL but if it's been a part of the US the whole time migration to the area might have been lower, so it's plausible.  A strong manufacturing state that draws a lot of EVs from the Rust Belt (I've set it up kind of like "the success story of the Rust Belt")  Also a few events that are more flavor based like I'm doing now, and like I've seen V do.  Toronto will twice be named "America's Most Livable City".  Furthermore, it's just a small thing, but a single, solitary EV relies on the US entering WW2 and boosting the wartime economy.

• Like 1

Just one this morning but it was actually pretty complicated.

42. Panama

It draws from Latin Colombia in the 21st century, and surprisingly it's events don't really revolve around the canal.  Also added an alt-event where it can be selected as the space program's launch site, since, geographically, it is perhaps one of the most perfect locations and is a popular choice for sci-fi and speculative fiction for a space port (California and Texas already have alt-state events for this if Florida isn't chosen as happened in reality, so there are 4 possible launch sites).

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

Just one this morning but it was actually pretty complicated.

42. Panama

It draws from Latin Colombia in the 21st century, and surprisingly it's events don't really revolve around the canal.  Also added an alt-event where it can be selected as the space program's launch site, since, geographically, it is perhaps one of the most perfect locations and is a popular choice for sci-fi and speculative fiction for a space port (California and Texas already have alt-state events for this if Florida isn't chosen as happened in reality, so there are 4 possible launch sites).

How many more states do you have left?

8 minutes ago, vcczar said:

How many more states do you have left?

I'm about half way through the spreadsheet but I think a disproportionate number of real states are in the later letters so it's probably less than half.  If you need me to go faster I can pick up the pace slightly. I'm not one to get on Anthony's case as much as everyone else, but I will definitely have them done by the time he needs them.

Just now, OrangeP47 said:

I'm about half way through the spreadsheet but I think a disproportionate number of real states are in the later letters so it's probably less than half.  If you need me to go faster I can pick up the pace slightly. I'm not one to get on Anthony's case as much as everyone else, but I will definitely have them done by the time he needs them.

Actually scratch that, I got like 10 to go, I had serious early morning weekend brain there, so yeah, no problem.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OrangeP47 said:

Yeah, that's the only thing I'm worried about. However, considering he's still working with networking (I assume), there might not be any rush at the moment.

• Like 1

The other thing too is I'm pretty sure some of those 10 are states that don't even EV change either, or are ones that work paired with another state, so the remaining ones will go pretty fast just whenever I do them, I'll probably have them done by the end of next weekend.

• Like 2

Did Panay real fast, coded under the assumption it'll be changed to PY, and while I was at it I also went back and made some changes to diversify some lobby gains in past events now that I'm familiar with more lobbies.

Panay doesn't grow until really 1950-1970, but then has some rapid growth and growing pains.  Then I make it another high tech, compact state, with flavor towards biotech and environmentalism.

• Like 1

Getting closer.

44. Paraguay
45. Parana

Paraguay is straightforward, just a decent, generalist state.

Parana starts real slow, but then around WW2 industrializes rapidly, then sprawls as kind of a suburban hell, before becoming a leading financial state.  It requires entering WW2 to reach it's full potential like a lot of states down here.

I got a lot of these to do today (though only like 7-8 total) so I'll post them at intervals as some are chonkers.

46. Patagonia
47. Pernambuco

Patagonia is pretty straightforward, as it doesn't really change EV despite being a mid-sized state.  Simply made it industry-agnostic and an attractor of immigration.

47.  I think this is the largest state in the game.  It tops out at 81 EV.  I made it so WW2 is needed to truly get it to that size, but even without, it'll come in at 69 (all these figures are without industry changes of course).  As such a large state, it kinda does a little of everything.  In the 21st century I mixed it up though by flavoring it like some of the rust belt events, ie, urban tension, etc.

• Like 1