The Political Lounge

Great Steam Game

vcczar

I highly recommend Pentiment. I think I spelled it right. It’s one of the best story-driven games I’ve ever played. It’s set in Reformation Era Bavaria. It’s a murder mystery chronicle sort of. I must be close to beating the game. I’ll be sad when when I do finish it. Rarely does a game really saturate itself with so much detailed history, culture, personalities, etc. There was a lot of reflection and detail put into this work. The artwork is amazing too. 

11 hours ago, vcczar said:

I highly recommend Pentiment. I think I spelled it right. It’s one of the best story-driven games I’ve ever played. It’s set in Reformation Era Bavaria. It’s a murder mystery chronicle sort of. I must be close to beating the game. I’ll be sad when when I do finish it. Rarely does a game really saturate itself with so much detailed history, culture, personalities, etc. There was a lot of reflection and detail put into this work. The artwork is amazing too. 

Got it on game pass. Planning to play it soon!

• Based 1

@vcczar I just wanted to say, I finally decided to buy Grand Tactician: The Civil War, once more and give it another chance. (I purchased it last year and felt it was just too sloppy/buggy.) However, I've been doing a Union game literally all day and I've been having a blast. Made plenty of mistakes though, but I think I'm good enough now to the point where I might start a legit run as the Confederacy or give myself some sort of big challenge. 

The game really reminds me of the Scourge of War series. However, those games were NOT very playable... literally unplayable compared to this. In fact, Scourge of War: Waterloo, the one I owned is delisted on Steam now. Guess I'll carry that in my library to the grave as a reminder lol. 

• Like 1

On 1/2/2023 at 11:44 AM, vcczar said:

I just finished this and I am beyond moved. Perhaps the most meaningful game I have ever played. No. Certainly the most meaningful game I have ever played. A life-lesson filled murder mystery... it's an experience that's just... indescribable until one plays it. This game is definitely a Top 10 of all time for me. I am so touched, I don't recall a game with such power in a very long time. Bravo to Obsidian. Absolutely bravo. This game is so great that it's brutal. 

• Like 1
  • Based 1

5 hours ago, Pringles said:

I just finished this and I am beyond moved. Perhaps the most meaningful game I have ever played. No. Certainly the most meaningful game I have ever played. A life-lesson filled murder mystery... it's an experience that's just... indescribable until one plays it. This game is definitely a Top 10 of all time for me. I am so touched, I don't recall a game with such power in a very long time. Bravo to Obsidian. Absolutely bravo. This game is so great that it's brutal. 

What route did you go? I made the major character into books and the law. I made the girl into accounting and literature or something like that. 

At some point I’ll play it again. I didn’t talk to everyone when I could have talked to more people. 

It’s definitely one of the greatest narrative games of all time. 

12 hours ago, vcczar said:

What route did you go? I made the major character into books and the law. I made the girl into accounting and literature or something like that. 

At some point I’ll play it again. I didn’t talk to everyone when I could have talked to more people. 

It’s definitely one of the greatest narrative games of all time. 

I was an Imperial Law Scholar, and a Hedonist. I highly recommend going hedonist in a next run. I got to see some hilarious dialogue and actions you can do that aren’t available otherwise.

I also traveled to Italy, and Aragon subsequently in character creation/and the gap that precedes act two. 

I’m starting to also wonder if there are different endings. Might YouTube it. My Andreas got a very peaceful ending. Lonesome and lost his whole life of adventure, riches, and hedonist activities… but the ending is sweet when he sees Magdalene off and starts painting with the kids on the windmill. A touching ending. 

I don’t want to spoil to much but holy shit, that ending was a plot twist. If you’d like to say here or DM me… tell me who you sentenced to death in the first two acts.

8 minutes ago, Pringles said:

I was an Imperial Law Scholar, and a Hedonist. I highly recommend going hedonist in a next run. I got to see some hilarious dialogue and actions you can do that aren’t available otherwise.

I also traveled to Italy, and Aragon subsequently in character creation/and the gap that precedes act two. 

I’m starting to also wonder if there are different endings. Might YouTube it. My Andreas got a very peaceful ending. Lonesome and lost his whole life of adventure, riches, and hedonist activities… but the ending is sweet when he sees Magdalene off and starts painting with the kids on the windmill. A touching ending. 

I don’t want to spoil to much but holy shit, that ending was a plot twist. If you’d like to say here or DM me… tell me who you sentenced to death in the first two acts.

I had the same ending despite making different choices. I put, I think his name was Guy, to death. The one into the occult stuff. And I put together the woman that was having an affair with the Miller to death. 

• Based 1

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

I had the same ending despite making different choices. I put, I think his name was Guy, to death. The one into the occult stuff. And I put together the woman that was having an affair with the Miller to death. 

The occult monk was Fenrec I believe. But yeah. We did the same choices. Though I had a hard time on the second. It was tough between the two choices I had. The woman and that bastard Miller seemed evil though. Especially when you take into account Miller likely abused his family at home. Given their squeamish nature when you have dinner with them.

Edited by Pringles
  • Agree 1

One of the people I felt most sorry for was Mathilda the Nun. The one that was nearly raped by the Baron. I’m glad in the end she found happiness with the monk she loved and left the abbey with. Brother Wojislav or something like that. Really chubby but jolly fellow. Wholesome.

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

@vcczar I feel like you might really enjoy Disco Elysium if you haven't tried it yet.  Incredibly moving game.

I have it. I played about an hour of it and got stuck somehow. It’s been like a year since I tried it though. May try it again. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I have it. I played about an hour of it and got stuck somehow. It’s been like a year since I tried it though. May try it again. 

It definitely takes a while to understand the various game mechanics at play.  I (figuratively, I think?) died once before I began to really understand it on the second playthrough.