The Political Lounge

Speaker vote going to 2nd ballot for 1st time in over 100 years.

vcczar

218 votes are needed to become Speaker. On the first ballot:

• Jeffries-D 212
  • McCarthy-R 203
  • Biggs-R 10
  • Others 9

I'm watching the proceedings and McCarthy doesn't look the least worried. He's talking, smiling, etc. It makes me wonder if there would be an agreed protest round and then they'll vote him in. 

Jim Jordan had 6 votes for 4th place. He's now nominated McCarthy, so I think I was right in that the 1st round snub was just a show to appease the radicals. 

Jordan is now giving a speech about uniting to defeat the Biden agenda but without giving any specific details on what Jordan specifically wants Republicans to do. Really passionate but bland speech because it's filled with vagueries. 

Slimy Matt Gaetz just nominated Jim Jordan, who had just nominated McCarthy. Gaetz is praising his Jordan's vague speech as proof of the leader they need. Gaetz's speech is much more specific on details, a better speech, although I strongly dislike him. McCarthy is still smiling and doesn't seem worried. Quite relaxed actually. 

3 hours ago, vcczar said:

218 votes are needed to become Speaker. On the first ballot:

• Jeffries-D 212
  • McCarthy-R 203
  • Biggs-R 10
  • Others 9

I'm watching the proceedings and McCarthy doesn't look the least worried. He's talking, smiling, etc. It makes me wonder if there would be an agreed protest round and then they'll vote him in. 

"Never let them see you sweat."  I don't think it's theater -- he's just not going to break down in tears or throw chairs or whatever when he knows everyone is watching him right now on tv.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, vcczar said:

Jim Jordan had 6 votes for 4th place. He's now nominated McCarthy, so I think I was right in that the 1st round snub was just a show to appease the radicals. 

Jordan is now giving a speech about uniting to defeat the Biden agenda but without giving any specific details on what Jordan specifically wants Republicans to do. Really passionate but bland speech because it's filled with vagueries. 

I worked with Jordan a bit in my old job.  Couldn't stand him, he was the worst of the Reps I worked with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

McCarthy will lose the 4th round. He wanted Congress to not meet today, but Democrats refused to agree ot that, which was smart. 

Byron Donalds of FL is nominated as the anti-McCarthy nominee. 

McCarthy is still getting the majority of GOP votes, but Jeffries will win again. 

I think McCarthy could hold up Congress indefinitely. 

Some options:

• McCarthy picks an alternate more agreeable to the radicals. 
  • McCarthy comes to an agreement with Democrats in which the GOP will agree to support a proposal or two. Democrats would then not vote, allowing McCarthy to get over 50% of the vote. 
  • McCarthy just keeps the vote going until people budge one way or the other. 

Byron Donalds flipping from McCarthy to Jordan so early, then saying he was still a gettable vote for KM and that he sees a path to victory for KM and then accepting Chip Roy's nomination and voting for himself for Speaker I think is just terrible strategy and not a good look

• Agree 2