The Political Lounge

Speaker vote going to 2nd ballot for 1st time in over 100 years.

vcczar

The freedom caucusers *are* terrorists for their part in the Trump/Eastman conspiracy, but not for delaying McCarthy's self-anointed rise to the speakership. So Crenshaw is right for the wrong reasons.

And you're right it is sad to see the House chamber nearly devolve into violence.

I found myself partially agreeing with Justin Amash when The Hill had him on their panel and he said something to the effect of, "this is how it's supposed to be." and challenged the corporate news narrative that a multi-day stalemate for the speakership is a catastrophe.

To the degree that Amash meant it's not supposed to be a pre-determined cakewalk, that taking the time to hash out arguments, work out reforms, and make compromises is supposed to be part of the process, yes he's right.

Except that that assumes that any of this is done in good faith. Given the players at the table it can't possibly be. Some of the demands made by the MAGA-troll bloc are genuinely good ideas, and I don't for one second believe that they are sincere about any of them except the ones that guarantee committee or sub-committee leadership for Gaetz, Boebert, and co. And on the other side there is a mountain of evidence that McCarthy is so craven and power hungry that he will concede literally anything to get his way, and in all likelihood can and will go back on his word just as quickly.

This was a fishtank of piranhas eating each other alive as a performance for the cameras. This was WWE Monday Night Raw, not a deliberation on the best ways to legislate and govern.

Edited by Magnus Rex
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

One may dislike Gaetz, but it's sad to see that people are losing their temper in a way, that they have to be physically restrained. Same goes for Rep. Crenshaw who labelled those not voting the way he preferred as 'terrorists'. I for one expect more from lawmakers, especially if they try to distinguish themselves from people like Gaetz or Boebert. While that's what others ought to do, I can't help myself but to quote Star Wars here, that by engaging in this conduct, they quickly became the very thing they swore to destroy.

Other than that I am glad it's over, although following the results was great fun.

In my opinion, people saying 'lunged' and such about Rogers are exaggerating things a little bit. He was looking like he was pointing at him angrily, not about to physically attack him. The video seems to speak for itself in that way. Maybe that's just me though.

• Agree 1

If anybody had a right to retaliate... I'd say it's Rogers. Getting scooped from behind with a hand in your face is a no-no... but it just looked like he was angrily approaching Gaetz. 

• Agree 1