The Political Lounge

MI Senator Debbie Stabenow won't run for re-election

ConservativeElector2

It seems as if Elissa Slotkin is gearing up to announce a run. She’d be a solid candidate as a proven over-performer, being able to solidly hold her swing seat 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

Interesting development because it creates an open seat. Both Gov. Whitmer and Sec. Buttigieg are reportedly not interested in running for the seat.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/sen-debbie-stabenow-announces-wont-seek-re-election-2024-rcna64398

Good move. She’s old and she’s banking Biden is re-elected so a Dem will get the seat. It’s was the best option for her. 

Buttigieg could change his mind but he’s too new of a resident to really run for the seat. I think he runs for Governor potentially in the future. 

1 hour ago, Hestia said:

Slotkin is likely going to run. I hope she wins unless another great candidate leaps in. I think she could hold the seat with ease. 

Assuming the GOP nominates someone crazy or has a crazy frontrunner, I'm on the Slotkin train. 

Lots of young talent on the Dem side but Slotkin is the most impressive to me. Held down a tough seat in three successive election cycles, natsec background and wealth of knowledge on foreign affairs. If you have to forego incumbency advantage in a swing state in a presidential year, an overperformer like Slotkin helps minimize downside risk. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I’d love to see Pete run and win.  Running in 2024 would be uncouth regardless of whether it’s Biden or Kamala.  Better to wait until 2028, and joining the senate in a swing state could be a smart next step.

You know my thoughts on Pete, but they've improved in general 😛 However, I think he's right to sit this one out. It reeks of carpet-bagging. I think he'd get whacked by a talented Michigan Democratic bench. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Hestia said:

You know my thoughts on Pete, but they've improved in general 😛 However, I think he's right to sit this one out. It reeks of carpet-bagging. I think he'd get whacked by a talented Michigan Democratic bench. 

He bought the house in Michigan months before Stabenow’s retirement.  It’s a happy coincidence.  Maybe.  ;c)