The Political Lounge

Hours of Sleep

vcczar

I’m curious how many hours of sleep you all usually get. 

From aged about 10 to 32, I would average about 4 hours. Frequently going 1 or 2 days without sleep from 22 to about 32. Once going 3 days without sleep. Coffee was my only drug. 

Once I hit 32, I started to require much more sleep, say about 6 hours.  Now at 43 I almost have to have 7 or 8. 

I miss the sleepless nights. I was so productive on things. The sleep deprivation really gets you thinking at a different level. I miss that. 

I haven't had a consistent time when I wake up since High School, so I pretty much just get 6-8 hours no matter when I fall asleep. This helps result in me not having a sleep schedule. I go to bed an hour later than the previous day?  I'm getting up an hour later. Go to bed an hour earlier? Getting up an hour earlier, etc etc. At this point my brain just kind of ignores alarms unless I actually need to get up.

• Like 1

I'm extremely inconsistent.  When I worked an office job and thus had to be up at a certain time and couldn't nap, I'd usually get about 4 hours sleep.

Now I probably get about 5 hours on average (some night I get 2 hours, other nights I get 9) -- but I also nap throughout the day as I work from home and find the work to be very easy.

5 hours ago, vcczar said:

From aged about 10 to 32, I would average about 4 hours. Frequently going 1 or 2 days without sleep from 22 to about 32. Once going 3 days without sleep. Coffee was my only drug. 

This is me (except 5-Hour Energy instead of coffee). Sometimes I'll just head into work early because I'd rather work on zero sleep than an hour-and-a-half worth of sleep.

On days I commute, I probably average about two hours of sleep (need to be up by 6:00 to catch the 7:00 train to get to the office around 8:30). On days I work from home, I probably average about five hours of sleep (I'll just roll out of bed at 8:45). On weekends, I probably average about eight hours a night.

5 hours ago, vcczar said:

I miss the sleepless nights... The sleep deprivation really gets you thinking at a different level. I miss that.

This is not me. I feel pretty certain that I've already shortened my lifespan by a not-insignificant amount with my sleep deprivation. I really need to get a handle on it.

35 minutes ago, jnewt said:

This is me (except 5-Hour Energy instead of coffee). Sometimes I'll just head into work early because I'd rather work on zero sleep than an hour-and-a-half worth of sleep.

On days I commute, I probably average about two hours of sleep (need to be up by 6:00 to catch the 7:00 train to get to the office around 8:30). On days I work from home, I probably average about five hours of sleep (I'll just roll out of bed at 8:45). On weekends, I probably average about eight hours a night.

This is not me. I feel pretty certain that I've already shortened my lifespan by a not-insignificant amount with my sleep deprivation. I really need to get a handle on it.

What keeps you up at night? When I had this kind of sleep cycle, I just didn’t want to sleep. I had too many projects, hobbies, books, etc. Sleep was surrender. 

14 minutes ago, vcczar said:

What keeps you up at night? When I had this kind of sleep cycle, I just didn’t want to sleep. I had too many projects, hobbies, books, etc. Sleep was surrender. 

I'd say 50% it's just because I'm an insomniac. But then 50% of the time I'm actually able to sleep, and just choose to get revenge instead.

• Thanks 1

Recently my schedule is like 4-11. Or 4-12.

I’m not an early morning person unless I have to… which when college starts back I’ll need to be waking up at 8.

It’s hard to tell whether I’ve hurt myself in the long term concerning sleep. When I’m working or have plans, or school… I tend to sleep very little. 4-5 hours. On breaks? Hell I’ll go to bed and wake up whenever. Could be 7 hours could be 10 hours.

I like to enjoy life for the most part so sleep is for the weak. Late night gang is the best. 😤 (This statement may return to haunt me.)

Edited by Pringles
  • Like 1

I get 5 or 6 hours normally. It's not ideal since I have high school to attend too, but I like to stay up past midnight. I honestly can't remember the last time I got anything over six hours. It's ironic because I love to sleep but I also consider myself a night owl so it conflicts. The current sleep status-quo works for me though, so I don't see the need for me to change it. Not yet at least. 

• Like 1

In College I use to get 5-6, now in my remote work job I get 7-8. The first 6 weeks where it was in person I only got 5. 

Edited by themiddlepolitical
  • Like 1

I think my worst single year for sleeplessness was probably my first year of undergrad. I was probably getting 2-3 hours of sleep 4 days a week with maybe 5 hours on weekends + at least one day without sleep. In total, I was averaging about 4 hours of sleep throughout undergrad and grad school, but that first year was particularly bad. 

Just now, MrPotatoTed said:

"You guys are getting sleep???"  ;c)

To be fair in undergraduate years I got an average of 5-6 hours a night

Graduate school I got 4 hours during the week each night and would then sleep from Friday night through Saturday late morning/early afternoon 

Typically, it's somewhere from 4-6 hours, but I usually have a night or two of 3 or less at least once a week. I'm aware it isn't healthy, but at this point in my life there is too much to do while awake and thus much less time to actually sleep. 

Hopefully this summer I'll be able to have a more regular sleep schedule as I'll have a 9-5 internship on the weekdays and just morning shifts serving on the weekends. I really don't know what I'd do with spare time though and I'd likely find some projects to focus on that get me back to the 4-6 hours of sleep a night anyway 😛 

1 hour ago, Cal said:

Typically, it's somewhere from 4-6 hours, but I usually have a night or two of 3 or less at least once a week. I'm aware it isn't healthy, but at this point in my life there is too much to do while awake and thus much less time to actually sleep. 

Hopefully this summer I'll be able to have a more regular sleep schedule as I'll have a 9-5 internship on the weekdays and just morning shifts serving on the weekends. I really don't know what I'd do with spare time though and I'd likely find some projects to focus on that get me back to the 4-6 hours of sleep a night anyway 😛 

Yeah, when I was in my teens and twenties barely sleeping didn't really impact me too much. I'd function well going a day without sleep. Once I hit about 35, I would really feel getting less than 6 hours. Once I hit 40, I feel it if I get less than 7. That said, the side effects have more impact on my ability to speak in an organized way and it slows down my recall for memories. Physically, I could probably still sleep 4 hours on average. As a professor, it's really important that I speak coherently and recall facts immediately, so I force myself to sleep more. I have taught on 2 to 4 hours of sleep and it isn't pretty. 

8 hours ago, vcczar said:

That said, the side effects have more impact on my ability to speak in an organized way and it slows down my recall for memories.

Same here. Unfortunately, I've already noticed the effects sleep deprivation has had on my short-term memory and speech, despite only being twenty-four. Yet I can do other difficult things without any issue even after 24+ hours without sleep.

• Thanks 1