The Political Lounge

Era of Populism AMPU Playtest-2012 Start Date

Rodja

1 hour ago, Rodja said:

@Arkansas Progressive @Rezi @ebrk85 @10centjimmy @MrPotatoTed @jnewt @Bushwa777 @DJBillyShakes @Murrman104 @ShortKing

DRAFT CLASS OF 2013

15 Dem and 14 GOP rookies are available for draft.

You should DM me your top picks

You have 24 hours to make your moves

Please quote this post once you send me your draft picks

Sent picks!

1 hour ago, Rodja said:

@Arkansas Progressive @Rezi @ebrk85 @10centjimmy @MrPotatoTed @jnewt @Bushwa777 @DJBillyShakes @Murrman104 @ShortKing

DRAFT CLASS OF 2013

2 hours ago, Rodja said:

DRAFT CLASS OF 2013

Sent Picks!

Noticed that in red draft Mike Lawler was listed twice so not sure if this is same guy?  He is from same area and same age but different attributes.  Is this wrong accidently? 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rodja said:

DRAFT CLASS OF 2013

sent

5 hours ago, Rodja said:

DRAFT CLASS OF 2013

Sent. (also the draft class including less than 30 pols seems like an issue? how many pols do draft classes usually have?)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

Aren't generated pols supposed to be happening at this time?

this would make sense to me, 5 factions trying to divide 15 or so pols means we don't even get to populate career tracks. I'm sure the rules say somewhere but do you auto generate pols and put them in the draft or is it like, we draft the real pols and then just autogenerate until every faction has the 20 or so pols that would be needed to continue

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bushwa777 said:

Sent Picks!

Noticed that in red draft Mike Lawler was listed twice so not sure if this is same guy?  He is from same area and same age but different attributes.  Is this wrong accidently? 

Thanks, I'm not sure why a second Mike Lawler ended up in there. I deleted him.

@Rodja I forgot to mention: I went ahead and included Gabriel Boric (a South American draft pol) in the sheet, but I'm not sure if you actually want him in the game.

7 hours ago, Rodja said:

DRAFT CLASS OF 2013

Sent.

12 hours ago, Rodja said:

DRAFT CLASS OF 2013

Sent

15 hours ago, Rodja said:

DRAFT CLASS OF 2013

done

@Arkansas Progressive @Rezi @ebrk85@10centjimmy @MrPotatoTed  @jnewt @Bushwa777 @DJBillyShakes @Murrman104 @ShortKing

CAREER TRACK 

Its time to put your newly drafted pols on one of the following career tracks.

• Private Sector: A general catch-all career track, offering a wide variety of skill and experience gains. 

• Military Sector: Representing someone rising through the ranks of the US military -- likely on their way to become a general, admiral, or in an administrative military role in a presidential administration.

• Judicial Track: Someone serving as a local, state, or lower federal-level judge on their way to becoming a short-list candidate for the US Supreme Court.

• Governing Track: Someone working closely with a state governor, serving as a lieutenant governor, or as a mayor with their eyes set on the governorship.

• Legislative Track: A local or state legislator hoping to become a US Senator or US Rep.

• Administrative Track: A local or state policy-wonk, likely serving as a state cabinet member and hoping to become part of a US Presidential cabinet. 

• Backroom Politics Track: Someone compulsive and adept at the strategy of elections who wishes to serve as a kind of monarch in the “smoke-filled rooms” where real politics is conducted. These politicians generally see themselves as unelectable, so they attempt to find some sort of pawn to run for them. 

You can put politicians on any career track or keep them away from it altogether.

RELOCATE POLITICIANS

You can choose to relocate those politicians who have Alternate State option

IDEOLOGY SHIFTS

All politicians have a starting ideology.  From “left” to “right” (on the US political axis), these are Left-wing Populist, Progressive, Liberal, Moderate, Conservative, Traditionalist, Right-wing Populist.  A player may move a politician’s ideology one step to the left, or one step to the right. 

Each faction can shift the ideology of up to three politicians, unless the faction leader has the following traits:

• If the faction leader has “iron fist” then they can flip two more politicians. 

• If they have “propagandist”, then they can flip one more politician. 

• If they have “manipulative,” then they can flip one more politician. 

• If they are the currently party leader, then they can flip two more politicians. 

If they have multiple of the above, then add them together, with a grand total possibility of 9 ideology shift attempts. 

Attempting to change ideologies has a 50% chance of success .  75% if they are switching to their faction leader's ideology (unless they have “Puritan” or “Integrity”.  Drops to 10% for politicians with integrity and 0% for puritan.

Attempting to change your ideology in this manner (regardless of whether it succeeds) carries a 50% chance of gaining a temporary “flip flopper” trait, which gives a -1 in primaries and general elections, and a 5% chance of gaining the permanent “Two-Faced” trait. If they already have the “flop flopper” trait, they have a 50% chance of gaining the permanent “Two-Faced” trait.   It also carries a 40% chance of gaining the permanent “pliable” trait. Note that it is possible to have a permanent “Two-Faced” penalty for excessive flip-flopping, which cannot be removed. A politician with “Magician” has a 75% chance of avoiding any of these penalties. A politician with “Teflon” has a 25% chance of avoiding these penalties. 

A politician cannot move from Left Populist to Right Populist or vice versa. 

POLITICIAN CONVERSIONS

Party and faction leaders with certain traits can attempt to sway vulnerable politicians over to joining their faction. There are also other segments of this Politician Conversion stage. 

First, an elected president will automatically become their faction and party’s leader during this phase, if they are not already in those roles.

Secondly, check for a disgruntled ideology. Any party that has ideological enthusiasm at the lowest level on the ideological enthusiasm meter might see a mass exodus of politicians going to the other party. In order for this kind of conversion, the following must be true:

• Politician has the same personal ideology of the ideological enthusiasm that is at the lowest level for their party. 

• Politician is also marked for party flipping. 

• Politician is not a faction leader.

If both of these are true, then there is a 25% chance of automatic party flipping to the faction of the other party that most aligns with their personal ideology (randomize if multiple options). 

KINGMAKERS AND PROTEGES

*Done every half-term

This phase highlights the backdoor politics and allows often unelectable politicians (kingmakers) to wield some influence in politics by using electable politicians (proteges) as pawns. 

To activate a kingmaker (a politician with the trait “Kingmaker”), the activating faction must identify a valid protégé to pair them with.  Each faction may only activate one kingmaker per two-year phase, up to a maximum of five active kingmakers within a faction at any given time. An active kingmaker can only be deactivated to make room for a new kingmaker if the active kingmaker does not have an active protege. 

A faction may not have more than one active kingmaker from the same state.  An active Kingmaker must be at least 35 years old and not on a career track.  There are no age limitations for protege. However, the following offices cannot be made into a protege (although they can be a protege before attaining these offices): president, VP, Speaker, House Min Ldr,  Sen Maj Ldr, Sen Min Ldr, anyone with a military office, anyone on the US Supreme Court.

An active Kingmaker gets one protégé from their own faction who must also be from their own state and own personal ideology. Some Kingmakers may have multiple proteges, but they cannot pick up more than one protege per half-term. 

10 hours ago, Rodja said:

@Arkansas Progressive @Rezi @ebrk85@10centjimmy @MrPotatoTed  @jnewt @Bushwa777 @DJBillyShakes @Murrman104 @ShortKing

CAREER TRACK 

Its time to put your newly drafted pols on one of the following career tracks.

• Private Sector: A general catch-all career track, offering a wide variety of skill and experience gains. 

• Military Sector: Representing someone rising through the ranks of the US military -- likely on their way to become a general, admiral, or in an administrative military role in a presidential administration.

• Judicial Track: Someone serving as a local, state, or lower federal-level judge on their way to becoming a short-list candidate for the US Supreme Court.

• Governing Track: Someone working closely with a state governor, serving as a lieutenant governor, or as a mayor with their eyes set on the governorship.

• Legislative Track: A local or state legislator hoping to become a US Senator or US Rep.

• Administrative Track: A local or state policy-wonk, likely serving as a state cabinet member and hoping to become part of a US Presidential cabinet. 

• Backroom Politics Track: Someone compulsive and adept at the strategy of elections who wishes to serve as a kind of monarch in the “smoke-filled rooms” where real politics is conducted. These politicians generally see themselves as unelectable, so they attempt to find some sort of pawn to run for them. 

You can put politicians on any career track or keep them away from it altogether.

RELOCATE POLITICIANS

You can choose to relocate those politicians who have Alternate State option

IDEOLOGY SHIFTS

All politicians have a starting ideology.  From “left” to “right” (on the US political axis), these are Left-wing Populist, Progressive, Liberal, Moderate, Conservative, Traditionalist, Right-wing Populist.  A player may move a politician’s ideology one step to the left, or one step to the right. 

Each faction can shift the ideology of up to three politicians, unless the faction leader has the following traits:

• If the faction leader has “iron fist” then they can flip two more politicians. 

• If they have “propagandist”, then they can flip one more politician. 

• If they have “manipulative,” then they can flip one more politician. 

• If they are the currently party leader, then they can flip two more politicians. 

If they have multiple of the above, then add them together, with a grand total possibility of 9 ideology shift attempts. 

Attempting to change ideologies has a 50% chance of success .  75% if they are switching to their faction leader's ideology (unless they have “Puritan” or “Integrity”.  Drops to 10% for politicians with integrity and 0% for puritan.

Attempting to change your ideology in this manner (regardless of whether it succeeds) carries a 50% chance of gaining a temporary “flip flopper” trait, which gives a -1 in primaries and general elections, and a 5% chance of gaining the permanent “Two-Faced” trait. If they already have the “flop flopper” trait, they have a 50% chance of gaining the permanent “Two-Faced” trait.   It also carries a 40% chance of gaining the permanent “pliable” trait. Note that it is possible to have a permanent “Two-Faced” penalty for excessive flip-flopping, which cannot be removed. A politician with “Magician” has a 75% chance of avoiding any of these penalties. A politician with “Teflon” has a 25% chance of avoiding these penalties. 

A politician cannot move from Left Populist to Right Populist or vice versa. 

POLITICIAN CONVERSIONS

Party and faction leaders with certain traits can attempt to sway vulnerable politicians over to joining their faction. There are also other segments of this Politician Conversion stage. 

First, an elected president will automatically become their faction and party’s leader during this phase, if they are not already in those roles.

Secondly, check for a disgruntled ideology. Any party that has ideological enthusiasm at the lowest level on the ideological enthusiasm meter might see a mass exodus of politicians going to the other party. In order for this kind of conversion, the following must be true:

• Politician has the same personal ideology of the ideological enthusiasm that is at the lowest level for their party. 

• Politician is also marked for party flipping. 

• Politician is not a faction leader.

If both of these are true, then there is a 25% chance of automatic party flipping to the faction of the other party that most aligns with their personal ideology (randomize if multiple options). 

KINGMAKERS AND PROTEGES

*Done every half-term

This phase highlights the backdoor politics and allows often unelectable politicians (kingmakers) to wield some influence in politics by using electable politicians (proteges) as pawns. 

To activate a kingmaker (a politician with the trait “Kingmaker”), the activating faction must identify a valid protégé to pair them with.  Each faction may only activate one kingmaker per two-year phase, up to a maximum of five active kingmakers within a faction at any given time. An active kingmaker can only be deactivated to make room for a new kingmaker if the active kingmaker does not have an active protege. 

A faction may not have more than one active kingmaker from the same state.  An active Kingmaker must be at least 35 years old and not on a career track.  There are no age limitations for protege. However, the following offices cannot be made into a protege (although they can be a protege before attaining these offices): president, VP, Speaker, House Min Ldr,  Sen Maj Ldr, Sen Min Ldr, anyone with a military office, anyone on the US Supreme Court.

An active Kingmaker gets one protégé from their own faction who must also be from their own state and own personal ideology. Some Kingmakers may have multiple proteges, but they cannot pick up more than one protege per half-term. 

Career Track (I only have 2 so unless I get a chance to backfill I can only place 2 people):

Dan Crenshaw-Military Track

Mike Lawler-Legislative Track 

Relocate Politicians: 

Christopher Temple moves from Illinois to Texas 

Ideology Shift: 

Fred Thompson attempts to convert the following 3 people: Marsha Blackburn, Kevin Cramer, Paul LePage 

Political Conversion

Not sure how this works.  Can you explain this please @Rodja

Kingmaker: 

I do not have anyone.  Is this possible that I do not have anyone? @Rodja

4 hours ago, Bushwa777 said:

Political Conversion

Not sure how this works.  Can you explain this please @Rodja

Kingmaker: 

I do not have anyone.  Is this possible that I do not have anyone? @Rodja

Political Conversion: You mixed this up with ideology shift.  Political conversion is your faction leader trying to sway members of other factions from your party to join your faction.

Ideology conversion is you deciding to try to change the ideology of some of your own statesmen, while keeping them in your faction.

Kingmaker: Yes, it's possible that you don't have anyone.  I haven't checked your sheet to confirm, but it is possible.

• Like 1

CAREER TRACK
Backroom: Conor Lamb
Legislative: Xochitil Torres Small
Governing: Billie Sutton
Private: Emilia Sykes

IDEOLOGY:
I'll try to convert the following Moderates into Liberals (as party leader, I get five politicians rather than 3)
David Goldfein
Joseph Dunford
NH Gov John Lynch
Maggie Hassan
Daniel McKee

25 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Political Conversion: You mixed this up with ideology shift.  Political conversion is your faction leader trying to sway members of other factions from your party to join your faction.

Ideology conversion is you deciding to try to change the ideology of some of your own statesmen, while keeping them in your faction.

Kingmaker: Yes, it's possible that you don't have anyone.  I haven't checked your sheet to confirm, but it is possible.

@Bushwa777 I just realized Rodja didn't copy/paste the entire rule section for politician conversion, which is probably why you're confused about how that works. Take a look at rule sheet 2.1, it's in there.

• Like 1