The Political Lounge

Genealogy RP

vcczar

Genealogy RP  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in playtesting a single-player genealogy RP?

2. 2. Will you be confortable with a slow RP, possibly with days between moves, as I build the game as we play?

3. 3. How interested are you in genealogy?

• Interested enough to have built or expanded research on my family tree.
    • Interested, although I have no real experience researching genealogy.
    • I find the game interesting, but I'm not interested in researching genealogy.
    • No interest.

• 2 weeks later...

Robert Young in 1361 @matthewyoung123

The Year is 1361, and Robert Young is now 27 years old. Black Death has returned. It seems as if 3/10th of the town is dead already. Robert Young has managed to survive, as have his two sons. Unfortunately, his wife dies of plague at age 29. Also dead are Robert's parents-in-law. Robert is forced to raise William, age 6, and Edward, age 4, on his own. Despite his grief, he's managed to refrain from drink ("Drunk trait"). As he's been able to do this three times in a row, he's become a teetotaller (new trait, replacing the old one) and is now vehemently opposed to alcohol, mainly because he craves it. Young has had a profitable business, at least enough to keep the business going, but citizens in Taunton and business associates in the textile industry are figuring out that he's slightly overcharging them (Greed trait). Also during this time, you learn that England and France had renewed fighting, and after scoring several victories, has secured at least a temporary peace. 

Do you attempt to find a new wife or will you focus on work? Will you drop your prices or claim to make superior products? 

John Younger in 1361 @OrangeP47

John Younger is 27 years old and still a journeyman. His lack of ambition (trait) has seen him mostly moseying through life. However, his genius (trait) has helped his various employers so much that his latest employer, Thomas Taunton, as felt compelled to give him a raise, both because of Younger's work but also because of the compassion (trait) Younger has shown to the family as the Black Plague has reemerged. Thomas Taunton lost several family members. In fact, at one point Younger was ill with the plague, but he somehow managed to survive, although it disfigured him even more than he had been previously. So much so, that he wear an iron mask, gifted to him by his employer. This year, you've finally earned enough money to purchase your own shop. You also learn during this time that war had continued in France but that it has now already resulted in another truce, favorable to England. 

Do you select a shop near St Mary Magdalene's? On the High Street, the main street of Taunton? Off the high street? Or a cheaper rental on the outskits of town near the farms?

Does John Younger pursue a romantic relationship or does he focus on his work? 

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

Robert Young in 1361 @matthewyoung123

The Year is 1361, and Robert Young is now 27 years old. Black Death has returned. It seems as if 3/10th of the town is dead already. Robert Young has managed to survive, as have his two sons. Unfortunately, his wife dies of plague at age 29. Also dead are Robert's parents-in-law. Robert is forced to raise William, age 6, and Edward, age 4, on his own. Despite his grief, he's managed to refrain from drink ("Drunk trait"). As he's been able to do this three times in a row, he's become a teetotaller (new trait, replacing the old one) and is now vehemently opposed to alcohol, mainly because he craves it. Young has had a profitable business, at least enough to keep the business going, but citizens in Taunton and business associates in the textile industry are figuring out that he's slightly overcharging them (Greed trait). Also during this time, you learn that England and France had renewed fighting, and after scoring several victories, has secured at least a temporary peace. 

Do you attempt to find a new wife or will you focus on work? Will you drop your prices or claim to make superior products? 

Robert is sad to have lost his loving wife to such a disease but is lucky that he and his children survived this round of plague.  However, if Robert wants to have a successful business, he has to keep his mind on his job and not on taking care of his two small children.  Therefore, Robert would like to try and marry again.

Robert knows the quality of his work, but also wants to avoid a reputation for being over priced and will drop his prices slightly to compete with other merchants in the area.  The location of his shop should provide more customers than other "off the High Street" locations which he hopes will make up for the decrease in the price of his materials.

Robert would like to try and engage the business of the local clergy to make clothing for them and materials necessary for the church.

4 hours ago, vcczar said:

John Younger in 1361 @OrangeP47

John Younger is 27 years old and still a journeyman. His lack of ambition (trait) has seen him mostly moseying through life. However, his genius (trait) has helped his various employers so much that his latest employer, Thomas Taunton, as felt compelled to give him a raise, both because of Younger's work but also because of the compassion (trait) Younger has shown to the family as the Black Plague has reemerged. Thomas Taunton lost several family members. In fact, at one point Younger was ill with the plague, but he somehow managed to survive, although it disfigured him even more than he had been previously. So much so, that he wear an iron mask, gifted to him by his employer. This year, you've finally earned enough money to purchase your own shop. You also learn during this time that war had continued in France but that it has now already resulted in another truce, favorable to England. 

Do you select a shop near St Mary Magdalene's? On the High Street, the main street of Taunton? Off the high street? Or a cheaper rental on the outskits of town near the farms?

Does John Younger pursue a romantic relationship or does he focus on his work? 

John will select a shop off High Street. It's still close to a lot of commerce, but should be somewhat cheaper, and thus perhaps a better business deal.  He will make some forrays into a love life now, though, such as it is. Younger is not getting and younger, after all.

William Wiltshire in 1361.  @ConservativeElector2

William is a 29-year-old master weaver as the Black Death returns to Taunton. William survives the plague. However, his second wife Margaret, their nameless newborn daughter, and Mary, his 10-year-old daughter from his first wife, all die of the plague. William is now alone again. He and his second wife were unusually close as they had so many shared interests. William never gets over all of these losses and earns "depressed," which replaces "political" as he no longer cares much about anything. He learns of English successes in a renewed war in France, as well as the cease-fire, but he doesn't care. He seeks no other woman for the time being, and focuses only on his work, event though one wonders if he'll pull through. His lack of curiosity (trait) isn't helping distract him from his grief. He is pitiable. 

No actions for 1361. He's just trying to let time pass. 

• Sad 2

Roger Wiliams in 1361 @WVProgressive

This is not a good year for the 29-year-old master weaver who is a partner in a proto-company. The Black Death comes to Taunton and kills both him and his wife, 28-year-old Alice, leaving 7-year-old Edward an orphan.

New main character: Edward Williams, age 7. 

Fortunately, the company splits finances and responsibilities to raise him, using him for child labor and early apprenticeship. He gets little time to grieve and is sent to work immedietely after his family is buried in a mass grave with other plague victims. 

Edward has no decisions and will not be eligible for them until he's 16. 

• Sad 3

38 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

So like, did some of us just get 2 updates and others none?

No. It just take a long time to create these. And I don't like working on it unless I can block out a lot of time with no multitasking. This RP is just gong to move really slowly, especially while there are this many players. I'll next have suitable time tomorrow. I think Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays will be my best days to work on this. The NFL RP really doesn't require much concentration or many die rolls, or any narrative building. This requires me blocking out time and I'm pretty much constantly multi-tasking with things either online, at work, or at home. I really should have just had one of you guys RP this, but I got too excited. I plan on keeping everyone going though, so long as they survive the plague.

3 minutes ago, vcczar said:

No. It just take a long time to create these. And I don't like working on it unless I can block out a lot of time with no multitasking. This RP is just gong to move really slowly, especially while there are this many players. I'll next have suitable time tomorrow. I think Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays will be my best days to work on this. The NFL RP really doesn't require much concentration or many die rolls, or any narrative building. This requires me blocking out time and I'm pretty much constantly multi-tasking with things either online, at work, or at home. I really should have just had one of you guys RP this, but I got too excited. I plan on keeping everyone going though, so long as they survive the plague.

Alright, I was just concerned you forgot the people that got skipped cause some of us went twice in a row.

3 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

Alright, I was just concerned you forgot the people that got skipped cause some of us went twice in a row.

Everyone will get to 1361. I have never skipped anyone. I go in the exact same order from player to player. It's just that not everyone has something to respond to. 

• Thanks 1

John Trowbridge in 1361 @Arkansas Progressive

In 1359, Trowbridge is active fighting at the Siege of Rouen and is back at Calais in 1360 when a truce is signed. He fought without ever receiving a wound, although he inflicted wounds on others. He returns to Taunton that year and catches plague, but he miraculously (lucky trait) survives. However, recovery is long and he is unable to search for work, as he is nursed to health at St Mary Magdalene's Church.

Will 29-year-old Trowbridge aim to return back to military service in Calais or will he stay in Taunton and seek work? 

John Johnson in 1361 @Ich_bin_Tyler

The 29-year-old Giant has now been a journeyman weaver for a couple of years, after an unusual long apprenticeship. While a genius, his laziness undermines him as an employer. For now, he's virtually unemployed, but he's earned some money gambling around town, barely scraping by (addict and genius traits). It's becoming clear that his reputation as a weaver is probably ruined. However, a local shepherd, Ralph Shepard, is aging and is looking for someone to take over his duties overlooking his sheep. Johnson avoids the plague, unlike many in Taunton. 

Does Johnson take this job, does he try to stick with weaving, or does he randomly seek another job? Will he pursue courtship or focus on finding work? 

3 hours ago, vcczar said:

John Johnson in 1361 @Ich_bin_Tyler

The 29-year-old Giant has now been a journeyman weaver for a couple of years, after an unusual long apprenticeship. While a genius, his laziness undermines him as an employer. For now, he's virtually unemployed, but he's earned some money gambling around town, barely scraping by (addict and genius traits). It's becoming clear that his reputation as a weaver is probably ruined. However, a local shepherd, Ralph Shepard, is aging and is looking for someone to take over his duties overlooking his sheep. Johnson avoids the plague, unlike many in Taunton. 

Does Johnson take this job, does he try to stick with weaving, or does he randomly seek another job? Will he pursue courtship or focus on finding work?

Well, this is unfortunate for John. Let's give courtship a try. Maybe find a match with someone who has an aging father with some sort of career to take over (or gamble away).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Based 1

Walter Farmer in 1361 @Rezi

29-year old Walter survived the war in France. He was present for the truce in Calais and participated in the Siege of Rouen before the truce. He was sent home to Taunton as the Black Plague. While there, he becomes seriously ill, and as he is a "genius," he is able to diagnose that he has the plague before the barely-literate local  doctor does. Unfortunately, he doesn't survive. 

Walter becomes the second character after @Murrman104's character to die without an heir. 

I won't get to @Rodja and @The Blood until Wednesday or Friday. 

9 hours ago, vcczar said:

John Trowbridge in 1361 @Arkansas Progressive

In 1359, Trowbridge is active fighting at the Siege of Rouen and is back at Calais in 1360 when a truce is signed. He fought without ever receiving a wound, although he inflicted wounds on others. He returns to Taunton that year and catches plague, but he miraculously (lucky trait) survives. However, recovery is long and he is unable to search for work, as he is nursed to health at St Mary Magdalene's Church.

Will 29-year-old Trowbridge aim to return back to military service in Calais or will he stay in Taunton and seek work? 

Stay in Taunton.

Henry Jackson in 1361 @Rodja

Henry has been an apprentice longer than usual (lazy trait), which has created a household close to impoverished and created strife with his father-in-law the Blacksmith. Henry's wife, Cecilia, has given birth to twins, and survived the childbirth. They are now two years old each. 

Pick two of the following names for the twins: Henry (after you), John (after the father-in-law and your father), Edward (after the King), Wiliam or Richard. 

Sadly, as the Black Plague appears in 1361, your wife, age 28, and two sons, both age 2, succumb. So you can name them, but that's as far as they go. You manage to survive the plague. Your father-in-law blames Henry, and not the plague for their death. While it's completely unfounded, Henry can't help but feel hurt. 

He's now alone and poor at age 29. 

You have some alternative options.

• Declare your apprenticeship over and aim to be a journeyman in another town where your reputation for laziness isn't known. This will consume any funds you have remaining to take this risk and could leave you destitute. 
  • Go to St Mary Magdalene's Church and hope the church can find work for you, even if it means becoming a monk or church servant. 
  • Try and join King Edward's army. 
  • Turn to a life of crime and become a highway man. 
  • Go to the Bishop of Winchester's Manor to apply to becoming a servant. 

Thomas Walters in 1361 @The Blood

Thomas has done quite well as a butcher's apprentice and is now a journeyman butcher. However, he's scorned by the local community as he's gotten the 16-year-old daughter of a minstrel pregnant (lustful trait). The bastard son is named Fortunatus by a local doctor obsessed with literary symolism and allegory. The minstrel's daughter is sent to a nunnery by her father's employer, the Bishop of Winchester, while Fortunatus is sent to an orphanage. Thomas (compassion trait) wants to earn enough money to take Fortunatus out of the orphanage. 

When plague hits in 1361, Thomas, who is naturally frail (trait), miraculously survives. As does, Fortunatus, he learns. However, Thomas becomes an invalid during the process of his recovery. His immune system is so weakened that he cannot perform manual labor. 

As such, he can find no employer for work, leaving him two options:

• Does Thomas become a beggar?
  • Does Thomas go to the Church of St Mary Magdalene to hope they can help find him employment?

It won't be until Friday or later until I process these and move to the next part of the narrative.

5 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Pick two of the following names for the twins: Henry (after you), John (after the father-in-law and your father), Edward (after the King), Wiliam or Richard. 

Edward and William.RIP

8 minutes ago, vcczar said:
  • Declare your apprenticeship over and aim to be a journeyman in another town where your reputation for laziness isn't known. This will consume any funds you have remaining to take this risk and could leave you destitute. 
  • Go to St Mary Magdalene's Church and hope the church can find work for you, even if it means becoming a monk or church servant. 
  • Try and join King Edward's army. 
  • Turn to a life of crime and become a highway man. 
  • Go to the Bishop of Winchester's Manor to apply to becoming a servant. 

8 hours ago, vcczar said:

Thomas Walters in 1361 @The Blood

Thomas has done quite well as a butcher's apprentice and is now a journeyman butcher. However, he's scorned by the local community as he's gotten the 16-year-old daughter of a minstrel pregnant (lustful trait). The bastard son is named Fortunatus by a local doctor obsessed with literary symolism and allegory. The minstrel's daughter is sent to a nunnery by her father's employer, the Bishop of Winchester, while Fortunatus is sent to an orphanage. Thomas (compassion trait) wants to earn enough money to take Fortunatus out of the orphanage. 

When plague hits in 1361, Thomas, who is naturally frail (trait), miraculously survives. As does, Fortunatus, he learns. However, Thomas becomes an invalid during the process of his recovery. His immune system is so weakened that he cannot perform manual labor. 

As such, he can find no employer for work, leaving him two options:

• Does Thomas become a beggar?
  • Does Thomas go to the Church of St Mary Magdalene to hope they can help find him employment?

It won't be until Friday or later until I process these and move to the next part of the narrative.

Thomas Walters staggers towards the Church of St Mary Magdalene, stopping in front of the entrance to bow his head and say a silent prayer. He's never been a religious man, and he certainly didn't obey God as he fornicated against His will. But now, as he takes in raspy, weak breaths of air after his battle with the plague, and as he thinks of his son, Walters will pray to God that he finds a future for himself and his child inside this church, lifting his head to enter in and seek employment. 

Edited by The Blood
  • Like 2

There's a chance I might not get to this today. Weekends will always be out. Monday I have to put together and intensive lecture, so might not get to it. Tuesdays I'm on campus all day. Wednesday I'll be out all day. Thursday I'm on campus all day. Next Friday I start grading 100 papers again, which means I'll be out of commission for the time-intensive genealogy game for about 10 days, unless I can isolate an hour of free time. 

This game isn't user-friendly like the NFL RP is, and I can't rush the genealogy game. 

Who knows. I might get one or two of your characters done during this time, possibly today. There's just a chance I won't and a chance we pause for 10 days. 

Robert Young in 1368 @matthewyoung123

Seven years have passed and Robert Young is now 34, likely about the life expectancy of the time for commoners. During the time, the creation of the office of Justice of the Peace was made, and a vacancy has occurred. Robert considers running for the office as he thinks he could get some money out of it (greedy trait).

His business has been making enough that he's finally reached economic stability, and in about 10 years, he could have enough to by another property. His son William is now 13 and could become an apprentice, either for his father, for someone else, or sent to another profession. Edward is 11 and still is too young for apprentice work, but he could operate as a laborer.

Robert spends a lot of time railing against town drunks now that he's a teetotaller. That combined with his known greed makes him somewhat unlikable, which might make it difficut for him to woo a new spouse, unless he goes for a match made more for financial compatibility or financial enhancement, which was very common. 

Robert learns from some town leaders that King Edward III has opened up a body called the Parliament, to help govern England. He learns from the priest of St Mary Magdalene about a vintner turned diplomat turned poet named Geoffrey Chaucer and another named John Gower. The town priest, Richard Church, sometimes reads poems to townspeople (as the town has only a 10% literacy rate), but as a traditionalists, he refuses to read their poems because they are starting to write in English, instead of Latin, Italian, and French--"God's preferred languages...the language of poetry," as Rev. Church said. 

This year, the black plague returns again. While Robert Young survived, both of his sons died of the plague. They are buried in the same grave as their other who died of the plague seven years earlier. 

He is now alone. 

What is Robert to do? Does he focus on his work or seek another spouse? Does he attempt to become Justice of the Peace in addition to his current duties? If so, he'll need to hire a journeyman weaver and an apprentice to conduct business when he's away. 

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Robert Young in 1368 @matthewyoung123

Seven years have passed and Robert Young is now 34, likely about the life expectancy of the time for commoners. During the time, the creation of the office of Justice of the Peace was made, and a vacancy has occurred. Robert considers running for the office as he thinks he could get some money out of it (greedy trait).

His business has been making enough that he's finally reached economic stability, and in about 10 years, he could have enough to by another property. His son William is now 13 and could become an apprentice, either for his father, for someone else, or sent to another profession. Edward is 11 and still is too young for apprentice work, but he could operate as a laborer.

Robert spends a lot of time railing against town drunks now that he's a teetotaller. That combined with his known greed makes him somewhat unlikable, which might make it difficut for him to woo a new spouse, unless he goes for a match made more for financial compatibility or financial enhancement, which was very common. 

Robert learns from some town leaders that King Edward III has opened up a body called the Parliament, to help govern England. He learns from the priest of St Mary Magdalene about a vintner turned diplomat turned poet named Geoffrey Chaucer and another named John Gower. The town priest, Richard Church, sometimes reads poems to townspeople (as the town has only a 10% literacy rate), but as a traditionalists, he refuses to read their poems because they are starting to write in English, instead of Latin, Italian, and French--"God's preferred languages...the language of poetry," as Rev. Church said. 

This year, the black plague returns again. While Robert Young survived, both of his sons died of the plague. They are buried in the same grave as their other who died of the plague seven years earlier. 

He is now alone. 

What is Robert to do? Does he focus on his work or seek another spouse? Does he attempt to become Justice of the Peace in addition to his current duties? If so, he'll need to hire a journeyman weaver and an apprentice to conduct business when he's away. 

Damn that plague!  Robert is heartbroken over the loss of BOTH his sons.  However, he will look for consolation in seeking out a new spouse, perhaps even as part of a business arrangement.

He will also try to hire a journeyman & apprentice to assist with his business and attempt to become a Justice of the Peace.  If he's not very well liked, he might as well get paid for not being very well liked.

• Like 1
  • Based 1

1 minute ago, matthewyoung123 said:

Damn that plague!  Robert is heartbroken over the loss of BOTH his sons.  However, he will look for consolation in seeking out a new spouse, perhaps even as part of a business arrangement.

He will also try to hire a journeyman & apprentice to assist with his business and attempt to become a Justice of the Peace.  If he's not very well liked, he might as well get paid for not being very well liked.

Follow up....Robert Young 1368 continued....

Robert spends much of his time at church boasting of his stable finances to men with marriagable daughters. Ultimately, he gets the interest of two woman and their respective fathers:

• Alice Armour, 18-year-old daughter of William Armour the Armourer. She is puritanical in religion, non-conformistic, cowardly, physically thin, average height, average intellect, frail health, and ugly. 
  • Isabella Sherman, 19-year-old daughter of William Sherman the Shearman. She is independent, dishonest, progressive, average build, dwarf, gifted intellect, average health, and below average looks. 

If you don't pick one of them, you can see if you can find one next time. Not very many choices in this small town. 

15 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Follow up....Robert Young 1368 continued....

Robert spends much of his time at church boasting of his stable finances to men with marriagable daughters. Ultimately, he gets the interest of two woman and their respective fathers:

• Alice Armour, 18-year-old daughter of William Armour the Armourer. She is puritanical in religion, non-conformistic, cowardly, physically thin, average height, average intellect, frail health, and ugly. 
  • Isabella Sherman, 19-year-old daughter of William Sherman the Shearman. She is independent, dishonest, progressive, average build, dwarf, gifted intellect, average health, and below average looks. 

If you don't pick one of them, you can see if you can find one next time. Not very many choices in this small town. 

Robert will propose to Isabella Sherman, the 19-year-old daughter of William Sherman the Shearman.  According to Colin Waters in his book "A dictionary of old trades, titles and occupations" a shearman is a cloth cutter, a sheep shearer, or a metal cutter.  If he is a cloth cutter or sheep shearer, his new father-in-law could perhaps aid Robert's business.

Robert sees that his daughter has the independent trait, which is good since Robert will likely be busy with his profession.  Her dishonesty is an issue, but perhaps one that can be overcome with time.  Robert also finds she is progressive in thought, and admires that trait.  He hopes that she can pass on her gifted intellect to his children.

Edited by matthewyoung123
  • Thanks 1

John Younger in 1368 @OrangeP47

John Younger is 34 years old and has been quite an innovative weaver, modifying equipment in his shop to make it more efficient. As he is compassionate and lacks ambition, he's modified the equipment of other weavers in the town free of charge. The town is appreciative, although th more business-savvy men in Taunton think he's insane to help his competition, some of whom may not have qualms about running John out of business, even if he did help them. One weaver, Thomas Threadneedle, claims to a visiting member of Parliament that he invented the innovation. Fortunately, the tavernmaster, Robert Beer, was there to defend John. 

John has an excellent relationship with St Mary Magdalene's Church because he's often donated to the poor box, despite not being any richer than the average weaver. 

His quest for a love life has been unsuccessful. He's been wearing an iron mask, making him appear more like a mechanical man than a human. However, many of the women in town view him "safe" to be around because of his compassion. He's basically what 21st century people will call "friend-zoned" instantly. However, his best shot is if he attracts a widower with children but he could get lucky and find someone who sees his personality, his heart, and his genius. Taunton is a small town. He could scour other nearby towns. 

John learns of the creation of the Justice of the Peace and the Parliament, but he lacks ambition to even concieve of getting involved with these, not that he has a shot at the latter. 

The plague hits Taunton again in 1368. John Younger survives without illness, despite helping families who had been stricken, sometimes giving away free cloth for bandages and such. 

Does John Younger focus on his work or does he seek a wife? If the latter, does he remain in Taunton or does he visit nearby towns to expand his scope? If the latter, he will need to hire a journeyman and an apprentice (he presumably would already have one by now, but let's say there's a vacancy).