Jump to content
The Political Lounge

Unfinished presidencies


Recommended Posts

How will the game handle presidencies cut short? Kennedy, Lincoln, McKinley, Nixon, etc.

Let’s say I fire up a game start in 1865? Is Lincoln dead or will I have the option to play through to see if he can accomplish reconstruction? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Chuckstar said:

How will the game handle presidencies cut short? Kennedy, Lincoln, McKinley, Nixon, etc.

Let’s say I fire up a game start in 1865? Is Lincoln dead or will I have the option to play through to see if he can accomplish reconstruction? 

The game will start in predetermined eras. If Kennedy or Lincoln is President in one of those, then yes, you will have an opportunity to see what they would have done. Of course, they can also die and history just repeat itself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Willthescout7 said:

The game will start in predetermined eras. If Kennedy or Lincoln is President in one of those, then yes, you will have an opportunity to see what they would have done. Of course, they can also die and history just repeat itself.

This is also brings up a question I've been wondering: are assassinations possible? If so, are they only possible for Presidents (Huey Long comes to mind for non-Presidents who were assassinated)?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, jnewt said:

This is also brings up a question I've been wondering: are assassinations possible? If so, are they only possible for Presidents (Huey Long comes to mind for non-Presidents who were assassinated)?

If they are, it'll be an event, either scripted or general

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, jnewt said:

This is also brings up a question I've been wondering: are assassinations possible? If so, are they only possible for Presidents (Huey Long comes to mind for non-Presidents who were assassinated)?

Its a general event that can fire

Assassination Attempt-  Random politician that is holding an office has a 50% chance of death, 25% chance of wounding (-1 of all abilities), 25% chance of no serious injuries

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, ebrk85 said:

Its a general event that can fire

Assassination Attempt-  Random politician that is holding an office has a 50% chance of death, 25% chance of wounding (-1 of all abilities), 25% chance of no serious injuries

Let's not try that with Taft please 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ebrk85 said:

Its a general event that can fire

Assassination Attempt-  Random politician that is holding an office has a 50% chance of death, 25% chance of wounding (-1 of all abilities), 25% chance of no serious injuries

Since the event is so rare, it might be a good idea to set the event to target non-obscure politicians first so that it hits people like Lincoln, JFK, Long, Roosevelt, Reagan, Bush, etc rather than the far more abundant random schmucks. 

  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cal said:

Since the event is so rare, it might be a good idea to set the event to target non-obscure politicians first so that it hits people like Lincoln, JFK, Long, Roosevelt, Reagan, Bush, etc rather than the far more abundant random schmucks. 

There's actually a few other events that specifically target the big w(h)igs 😉 But going into an exhaustive list of possibilities is... exhaustive 😉  But hey, rewind 1840 and see how hyped we were for the USS Princeton.  I mean, to be fair, that's not so much an assassination as it is gross negligence resulting in multiple cabinet level deaths, but hey, who's counting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

In addition to the random card, certain events could trigger an assassination attempt roll (after a Civil War, if domestic stability falls below a certain level, etc).  and also certain eras, there were prevalent (such as the 60's), so maybe for those time periods there could be an added event check during the early primaries / prior to the convention to see is there was an assassination attempt on one of the candidates (like we have with the scandal roll now, but just do it once).

could also see Hale vs Frail having an impact on the success of the attempt (someone with Hale much more likely to survive and maybe even the attempt was thwarted, whereas Frail would be more likely to end in death or severe wounding that might force them out of politics for now so they can recover).

I like the idea of more probability toward non-obscure statesmen.   Along those lines, could be something like 40% President, 30% Gov, 20% Senator, 10% Rep.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...