The Political Lounge

Destruction, Devastation, and Derangement: Alternate 2023 onward RP.

Cal

On 1/29/2023 at 7:32 PM, Cal said:

US House of Representatives (Using 2022 Cook PVI )

Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) (legally dead, resuscitated in critical condition) (R+16)
Darrell Issa (R-CA) (R+9)
Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) (D+37)
Jimmy Panetta (D-CA) (D+18)
Maxine Waters (D-CA) (D+32)
Cory Mills (R-FL) (R+5)
Tracey Mann (R-KS) (R+18)
Steny Hoyer (D-MD) (D+15)
Ayanna Pressley (D-MA) (D+35) (State was improperly labeled as MI, this has been corrected)
Chris Pappas (D-NH) (EVEN)
Chris Smith (R-NJ) (R+14)
Hakeem Jeffries (D-NY) (D+26)
Brian Higgins (D-NY) (D+9)
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) (D+28)
Mike Turner (R-OH) (R+4)
Andrea Salinas (D-OR) (D+4)
Glenn Thompson (R-PA) (R+21)
Tim Burchett (R-TN) (R+18)
Kay Granger (R-TX) (R+12)
Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-WA) (R+8)

Total Republicans: 8 if McCarthy pulls through, otherwise 9. 
Total Democrats: 10. 

US Senate

Senator Tommy Tuberville (R-AL) Filled by Governor until next state wide election
Senator Jon Ossof (D-GA) Filled by Governor until next state wide election
Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) Filled by Governor until a proximate special election
Senator Debbie Stabenow (D-MI) Filled by Governor until next state wide election
Senator Steve Daines (R-MT) Filled by Governor until next state wide election, must be one of three prospective appointees submitted by the deceased party to the governor.
Senator Mitt Romney (R-UT) Filled by Governor until next state wide election, must be a Republican
President Pro Tempore of the Senate Patty Murray (D-WA) Filled by Governor until a proximate special election
Senator Bernie Sanders (D-VT) Filled by Governor until a proximate special election

Total Republicans: 3
Total Democrats: 5. 

I remember you saying that you need the appointment rules, and partisan leans for each state, and I wanted to help make your job easier, so here’s what I found. Hope this helps!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chapter 0.5: Taking the Stage

January 6th, 2023. 

Immediately upon assuming the position of Acting President of the United States, Lloyd Austin had the unfathomable position of having to be the decision-maker on just where the hell to go from here. And, despite inheriting such great power, he had none of the knowledge requisite to begin working on a plan-of-action. Shortly after taking the oath of office and declaring a state of national emergency/enacting martial law, communications had been abruptly cut off. The information blackout affected both private channels of communications and confidential ones set up for emergencies just like this. He would have to wait. 

At about 8PM, the rescue squad finally arrived and followed the proper security protocols to prove their identity. The retired 4-star general immediately grabbed the commander mid-salute and demanded an overview of the situation outside. 

“Forgive my bluntness, but it’s a damn bloodbath out there. We’ve finally quelled the rebels, but the casualties were high. Thousands. We’ve rounded up over 8,000 surviving hostiles and enforced a mandatory lockdown across the capitol. 

It gets worse. As you know, President Biden, may he rest in peace, authorized a media blackout to censor videos and reports of the rioters in an attempt to keep the threat localized to the streets of D.C. However, rioters and terrified civilians alike livestreamed the atrocities which only further fueled the fire elsewhere. Protests have broken out in state capitols across the country. Some protests are to show their anger with Biden after the alleged assassination, some are in response to state officials declaring our government illegitimate, and none yet know the truth of the President’s demise or even of how many elected officials perished. 

Our resources are stretched thin, so we’re going to need you to prioritize our response to the state protests. We’re also going to need to explain just why it’s YOU that’s explaining this to the American people, if you think they’re ready for the truth, that is. 

@Pringles Mr. President, what are your orders?”

Option 1
We’re in this mess because our government has failed to be transparent with the people, and what they demand is a President who speaks to them as a leader to his people rather than a coward making decisions from the shadows. 

Get the cameras ready. I’ll give a public address condemning the assassination of President Trump, explaining what those treasonous rebels have done to our glorious government, and promising to unite the nation in the face of this tragedy. I won’t simply be an acting president, I’ll be the leader America needs.

That should calm them down enough to get the worst of the protests to die down. Right now, it’s important to show to those who think we’ve descended into tyranny that there is integrity in our system and they aren’t criminals for being concerned. 

Leadership Requirement: 7 (-3)
Charisma Requirement: 6 (-2)

Option 2 
The people aren’t ready to hear the truth just yet, it will only cause greater confusion and outcry. I’ll address the nation as the acting president and keep the truth of Biden’s death from being mentioned. To declare myself the President so soon would be a mistake. Promise to get to the bottom of this. 

I’ll order the military into the states if there are actual reports of protests growing violent or plans to do so. If we are too heavy-handed things will just get worse and the nation will think me a tyrant usurping power. (Politically Naïve)

Leadership Requirement: 5 (-1)
Roguery Requirement: 4 (-2)

Option 3
What is this, Afghanistan? I’ve seen how quickly a democratic government can fall into anarchy and announcing the President’s death is taking a lighter to the powder-keg that Biden has left me with. I’ll address the nation, but it will be short and without many details other than that we’ve got it under control. When the truth comes out in the next few days, I want it to be a controlled release to minimize chaos at a time we’re stretched so thin.

We must send in the military into any state with a threat of violent protest. If we don’t act now, the nation will only further descend into anarchy. (Politically Naïve)

Leadership Requirement: 4 (met)
Roguery Requirement: 6 (-4)

A nervous, horrified, muted President Lloyd Austin would contemplate his next steps upon taking the sacred Oath of Office. 

"What savages have we become?" He would think to himself. 

"Are we no better than the Romans as they tore themselves apart in the face of the greatest threats of their time? The Hun? The Barbarians? The American experiment... torn apart from within. Torn apart by brother and sister. Two Presidents, dozens of Congressional men and women killed in cold blood. A most devastatingly cruel fate." 

The President would sigh. Snapping from his deliberations and begin to speak with his advisors, along with whatever was left of the Cabinet. 

"We must consider our options. I know it is hard to remain calm and keep your head together given what has happened. But we must press forward, otherwise there will be no Republic left to save." 

An Adviser: "Mr. President, the situation is most troublesome. First we have to ensure the security of not only Washington but of all states. There's also the question of how we approach the country realizing that you sir, Mr. President... are the President. If we fail to legitimize you now... we may very well no longer have a country." 

The new President would fold his hands, looking down, letting out a sigh and praying to himself. 

"Dear God, grant me the strength to push forward and preserve this Union. Just as it had been your will many years and instances ago. Grant the people of this country strength, goodwill, and peace to one another." 

He would speak. 

"Gentlemen. I believe there is only one path forward to begin this Administration. We must be open. We must begin with a remembrance of the lives lost. President Biden, may God rest his soul. President Trump. All members of Congress who lost their lives this day."

"The path forward must be done honestly and transparently. For I have no intention of politicizing this Presidency. My duty is to fulfill my President's term. And to do so in service to the American people." 

"Prepare whatever it takes for us to begin an Address to the Nation."

How Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin Is Driving Culture Renovation

President Austin had made his choice (Option 1).

The address would be quite lengthy, broadcasted on all channels, so that all Americans and foreign channels could witness. President Austin would choose to remain in military uniform for the address.

He would begin by immediately explaining the fact that he is now President, confirmed by taking the sacred Oath of Office, and swearing to God. "I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

He then would explain in detail, the casualties of this fateful, terrible day. Honoring, and mourning all lives lost. President Biden and President Trump. Republican and Democrat. 

As the address would reach it's conclusion, President Austin would vow only service to his fellow Americans. Saying it is time to come together, and face these challenges head on. In what he would refer to as perhaps, "The most tragic day in American history." President Austin would state that he will ensure justice prevails above all. Traitors, and murderers will be brought to justice. Order will be restored. America will recover, no matter the cost, no matter how long it takes. As long as he remains President, the job will get done. 

The President makes clear that Congress must immediately seek to return to business, and carrying on the People's work. Investigations into all allegations, all causes, all tragic loss of lives must be conducted. 

He ends on a sincere note. 

"Pray for each other America. I too ask humbly for your prayers. By the grace of almighty God, we will overcome this. We will succeed. Justice shall be served. Traitors and terrorists will no longer find safe haven in this great nation. And that work must begin immediately.  Thank you, and God Bless all of you. God Bless the United States of America." 

• Like 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Based 1

19 hours ago, Pringles said:

President Austin had made his choice (Option 1).

President Austin had been placed into the unenviable position of having to decide between the lesser of three evils.

Such position is one loathed by those in power throughout the annuls of history. However, it is times like these when one's true aptitude for leadership can be judged. After all, there are many a leader who has been adored by his people for the state of their nation when in actuality their decision was are inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. Or, alternatively, some of the "greats" in the past have merely delayed the inevitable to preserve their own popularity, passing on a burden to the desk of their successor that was greater than it was on their own. 

Instead, the sign of a true leader deserving of his people's trust, is for one to, without hesitation, decide to weather the storm and choose the route of most resistance, even in the face of immediate backlash, when that decision is what is best for the nation as a whole. 

Right now, the United States doesn't know who to blame for the state that we're in. But as a lifetime student of history and politics, I can tell you one thing. 

President Austin is the leader that we need.

- Professor Jay Thomas, George Washington University. 

(to be continued)

• Like 1

January 7th, 2023

Riots in Washington: Biden dead: Austin takes the oath.
- Fox News

White House Massacre: Biden murdered, Austin takes the oath. 
- New York Times

Against the advice of conventional political wisdom, President Austin decided to address the American people with complete transparency. For too long had brothers and sisters been pitted against each other because of the lies and lack of information about what was going on. They deserved to know of just how close the rioters had been to bringing the government to their knees. And so he addressed the elephant in the room: President Trump had been assassinated, and his supporters had stormed the capitol in response to overthrow the government. 

Notably in his speech to the nation, he made no assertion as to who was to blame and who was to be vilified for their actions on that day. He promised to bring "traitors" and "murderers" to justice, but refrained from calling those who had decided to take up arms against their government as such. Whether this was an unintentional oversight or not, it had a dual effect. 

On one hand, the right side of the nation felt relieved that the President had not condemned some of their own for their actions that day who had genuinely believed they were toppling a tyrannical government. While many still believed that the government may have had a role in Trump's assassination, some questioned if this could have been a foreign plot to sow instability and rebellion and if they were playing right into their hands. To a cynic, this line of questioning would partially absolve many from their actions by placing the blame on a foreign, unknown enemy. However, to a divided Republican Party this signaled a potential understanding that many on that day were working with limited information and that their actions would be judged accordingly with only the worst of the rebels being eventually tried for treason. Many right-wing extremists still believed Trump had been silenced by the government and were not buying Austin's speech, but most would at least stand down and only peacefully protest. For now. 

On the other, the left side of the nation desired unity in the face of this tragedy, but felt somewhat betrayed by a perceived lack of denunciation. They were angry. Two years ago we ignored the alt-right's first attempt at overthrowing the government, and here we went again after the same actors had murdered influential figures numbering two presidents and countless senators and representatives. To many, the President had not gone far enough in condemning the actions of those who rushed the capitol without considering that the White House would have no reason to assassinate Trump. However, ultimately the majority of left would put aside their grumbling to begin the process of healing and investigating exactly what had happened. For now. 

An uneasy peace emerged as the nation cautiously waits to know more before grabbing their pitchforks once again. The President had put out the fire, but were the flames to be fanned they could roar to life once again.

@Pringles Congratulations, Mr. President. Most Republicans don't love you, despite their relief. Most Democrats are championing through their anger and disappointment to wear a mask of unity. However, you've kept the nation together for now, calmed the protests, no one is immediately calling for your removal, and generally you did better than pretty much anyone expected you to. For performing admirably in a crucial time, you've earned 1 Leadership. (4 --> 5). You'll certainly need it in the coming days. 

Roll before modifiers: 8
Roll after modifiers: 3

(Coming next: Chapter 1 begins with a LONG post with Campaign Events for all)

• Like 4

Chapter 1: The Aftermath. 

The week of January 11th, 2023. 

National Public Opinion Polling, January 7th-January 11th. 

Q1: Do you believe that President Trump was assassinated by the United States government?
Yes: 12%
No: 48%
Unknown/undecided: 40%

Q2: Do you believe that the White House Massacre was justified?
Yes: 7%
No: 88%
Unknown/undecided: 5%

Q3: Do you believe that a foreign government has involved itself in the politics of the United States?
Yes: 20%
No: 25%
Unknown/undecided: 45%

Q4: What is your opinion of President Lloyd Austin?
Favorable: 50%
Unfavorable: 20%
Unknown/undecided: 20%

After a long weekend, it is time for the nation to get back to work. Not only the laboring Americans who must commute to their 9 to 5, but also the people who had been elected to represent them in national politics (or at least what’s left of them). So, without further ado, let’s finally begin. 

The President’s Circle. 

@Pringles President Austin, you have some big shoes to grow into. Historically, there has been an influx of support for vice president thrust into the position of commander-in-chief, and despite being a few lines down in the line of succession this applies to you as well in small part. Now is the time for you to capitalize on that momentum and begin pursuing your plan to rebuild America. But the question is… what first? 

The most obvious course of action is to begin appointing replacements in your cabinet. After all, you’re missing a Vice President and someone to head up the State, Treasury, and Transportation departments. Currently, these positions are filled by acting secretaries much like yourself who have stepped up for the job despite knowing its temporary nature. 

This would seem to bring stability to our government, but your advisors have informed you that this could backfire… horribly backfire. Allow me to summarize. 

Traditionally, a Vice President takes office following the death of the president pursuant to Article II, Section 1, Clause 6 of the Constitution. In that case, our history has shown that the Vice President assumes the full responsibility of the position of President of the United States. 

You, however, are no Vice President, and you have not come to office under the text of the Constitution. Instead, you have inherited your bloody crown pursuant to the Presidential Succession Act, signed into law by President Truman in 1947. He himself, having been all too aware of the realistic possibility of the president not finishing out his full term, reformed our succession law to prioritize elected officials in the line of succession over unelected bureaucrats. The idea being that it is preferable to entrust the nation’s welfare to someone who has at least been elected SOMEWHERE in the country. 

To accomplish this goal, a “bumping” mechanism was added to our law. What this means is that when a cabinet secretary inherits the presidency, they can at any time be “bumped” by someone higher in the line of succession who then takes the presidency over from them. Strangely, the law would allow any Vice President, Speaker of the House, President Pro Tempore of the Senate, Secretary of State, or Secretary of the Treasury to usurp the presidency from you. Indeed, the very law that was intended to provide for stability in the time of crisis would allow for a number of those higher in the line of succession to take the reins at any time. 

Applied to your situation, should you nominate someone to the Vice Presidency or any position higher than you on the pecking order, there’s going to be a very real possibility that they choose to reward your generosity with a boot to the ass and a kick to the curb. You’ll have to be very careful with your appointments. 

However, even if you’re careful with your appointments, there is still the issue of the other two positions in the line of succession, namely the President Pro Tempore and the Speaker. The Senate position is vacant, but should Republicans take back the Senate and prioritize its filling they could force you out of office. Similarly, should McCarthy recover (or pass before your party can take the house once again) you could be out of a job. You’re going to need to play a very careful game here, sir. 

What will you do, Mr. President?

Option 1: Prioritize Efficiency. 
The most important thing is that we assure the American people that we are a nation of laws, and I intend to abide by them. I’ll nominate a full slate of nominees for the cabinet and vice president and make that a top priority for now. We can’t run off of acting secretaries, and it’s expected that there be someone ready to take office from me should another attack occur. 

Additionally, while I’ll urge against the Senate electing a new President Pro Tempore, I have no intention of making a legal challenge to the law should someone bump me from office. 

Integrity Requirement: 7 (met).
Easy difficulty.

Option 2: Cautiously Comply
The safest option right now is to fill only the offices that cannot use the law to further their own selfish ambitions for the presidency. I didn’t want the job, but I’ll serve America to the best of my abilities. We’ll leave acting secretaries in place in the state department (while Blinken recovers, at least) and in the treasury and make no move to nominate a Vice President at this time. 

Urge the Senate not to make a move at this time to fill the President Pro Tempore position.

Leadership Requirement: 5 (met)
Moderate difficulty.

Option 3: Legal Challenge
The law is ridiculous, and some even argue that it is unconstitutional. I refuse to accept that the framers of the Constitution would have envisioned Congress would pass a law that would leave us with such volatile governance in a time of national crisis. We need action. 

I’ll fill every position with competent administrators but make it clear that should anyone challenge me for the Oval Office that they’ll have to go to the Supreme Court for it. (politically naïve) 

Roguery Requirement: 5.
Hard difficulty. 

A Leadership Crisis

@Rezi Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, how you may have been robbed. A week from now, you should have been taking the majority leader from that conniving Mitch McConnell with a 51-49 chamber, but instead now you are left wondering if you’ll have a majority at all! Time will tell. However, there’s something your faction can do about it in the meantime. 

You have a few things on your agenda: 

First, Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer must appoint a replacement for Senator Stabenov’s seat. Keep in mind that whomever you pick will be up for reelection again next year. (not a campaign event per se, but please choose someone to fill the vacancy, or I can do so if you prefer)

Second, you’ll need to determine who you want to lead your faction in the House, and presumably run for House Minority Leader. Nancy Pelosi was an admirable speaker and she handed over her position to inspire a new generation of younger Democratic leadership. Unfortunately, her handpicked successors have perished in the White House Massacre, and it will be up to you to decide where the party must go from here. 

Option 1: Return to Power. 
In these troubling times, we need proven leadership capable of delivering on real results for the American people. Speaker Pelosi must come back and serve the Democratic Party and the nation at large once again. Her knowledge of parliamentary procedure and House rules is unparalleled, and we’re willing to risk the criticism of her return because she’s never been so needed. 

Difficulty: Moderate.

Option 2: A New Generation. 
The Democratic Party needs a leader in the House who doesn’t have the same baggage as Pelosi, she stepped down not because she didn’t want to, but because it was best for House Democrats that she be removed from the spotlight. Instead, we’ll choose a promising Establishment Democrat that won’t stroke tensions any more than is needed right now.

Difficulty: Easy.

Option 3: Party Unity. (Truth and Justice Democrats)
Desperate times call for desperate measures, and in times such as these it's necessary that we step back and look outside of our own faction to determine who should lead the House Democrats. (note: you’ll still need a leader for the house, although you’ll give up the top leadership position)

Option 4: Party Unity. (Progressive Democrats)
Desperate times call for desperate measures, and in times such as these it's necessary that we step back and look outside of our own faction to determine who should lead the House Democrats. (note: you’ll still need a leader for the house, although you’ll give up the top leadership position)

Coordinating the Media

@Hestia Welcome, Senator Klobuchar! After your failed bid for the presidency and Biden’s failure to nominate you as his Vice President, there were murmurs that your political career had hit a dead end. Thankfully, it appears that Democrats with a burning desire for the truth of what happened on January 6th and for those responsible to be brought to justice have coalesced around you. As a former prosecutor, you’re a natural fit for leading the nation through the investigation into the White House Massacre. 

The first thing on your agenda is responding to a request from Massachusetts Governor Maura Healey, a member of your faction and a fellow former prosecutor. With the murder of Senator Elizabeth Warren, you’ve been tasked with nominating her replacement that will then be up for reelection on May 2nd, 2023. (not a campaign event, but please pick someone or I can do it for you if you’d prefer)

The second thing that you’ve been tasked with by the Democratic Party is coordinating the official media response to the events of January 6th. President Biden originally issued a gag order on that fateful day, and in the days following the tragedy the White House has cracked down on blatant accusations of wrongdoing in the death of President Trump from mainstream news outlets. As the President has enough on his plate, you’ve been given discretion in deciding on how to crack down on misinformation during such a critical moment, if you decide to do so at all. 

To help you decide the course of action, your advisors have given you a brief rundown of what’s playing out in the media. After the alleged “FBI-Gate”, conservatives moved en masse to Truth Social both in solidarity with Donald Trump and in response to accusations that Twitter had engaged in political censorship in the past. Unfortunately for us, there has been an influx of articles intended to radicalize viewers posted to the platform as well as Facebook, Twitter, and others. Additionally, fringe right-wing news outlets have rode the line between approving of the rebels storming of the capitol versus just questioning the government’s legitimacy. There’s fears that if the government does not increase their censorship policies that bad actors could use this to stir up civil unrest and potentially even another attack.

Option 1: Blanket Ban. 
Now is not the time for rigid adherence to the freedom of the press. Countless times during our history we have ordered that news outlets refrain from stroking tension when doing so could lead to a tragic loss of American lives. We will aggressively pursue a policy of censoring news sources that claim the government orchestrated President Trump’s assassination, questioning the government’s legitimacy, or claiming that this tragedy was an inside job. If we do not, the polarization of our media may well lead to a civil war.

Difficulty: Hard.
Roguery Requirement: 5 (-2)
May increase Roguery.

Option 2: Loose Restrictions.
It’s important that the American people feel like we are not oppressing them, lest we feed the rumors that we’ve fallen into tyranny. We should crack down on news sources that claim that Biden ordered Trump’s assassination or offer fake proof of those claims, but other than that we should let the media continue unfettered. We’ll use soft influence and our media expertise to keep certain web personalities from causing too much tension, or at least limiting it.

Media Requirement: 6 (-2)
May increase Media.

Option 3: Absolute Freedom.
This kind of thinking is exactly what got us into this mess! If President Biden had been forthright with the American people from the beginning there would have never been any doubts that he did not order Trump’s assassination. By ordering censorship, we are only encouraging people to believe that we actually are just as tyrannical as they say. The consequences of censorship outweigh the risks of the rabble-rousing. (Prosecutor)

Difficulty: Very Hard.
May increase Integrity.

The California Brushfire Problem

@Murrman104 Representative Ilhan Omar, your faction has perhaps been hit the hardest of anyone else in the country. The Progressive Democrats are left without a leader: Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, AOC, the list goes on and on of prominent progressives leaders who were executed in the White House Massacre. Now, the progressives across the country are looking for someone to lead them through these troubling times. 

You have been suggested time and time again by Democrats all over the country, and for good reason. You have been the subject of Republican ire ever since you first ran for office, and you’ve continued to advocate for those most in need in Congress. You’ve been attacked for your nationality, your religion, and your very commitment to this nation was called into question by Trump’s MAGA followers. Now, with MAGA supporters being deemed responsible by many for the tragic attack, you are a natural leader to go to war against far-right forces. 

Your first order of business is a meeting with Washington Governor Jay Inslee. The renowned environmentalist is seeking your input on who should be appointed to replace the murdered President Pro Tempore of the Senate Patty Murray. He’s asked that you suggest one specific name to take the seat until a special election tentatively set for March 6th, 2023. Who will you pick? (not a campaign event, please select someone or I can pick for you!)

Your second order of business is responding to what may well escalate into a full-blown crisis in California. Put lightly, Governor Gavin Newsom is stirring up some trouble and some are fearing that he could cause another violent riot to break out.

President Austin’s speech was able to calm down most of the protests across the country after the chaos and confusion on Friday. However, protests have continued over the weekend and into today in four states: California, Texas, Florida, and Delaware. 

While at first protests remained peaceful, it was reported that on Sunday night fights broke out between MAGA protestors, radical leftists, and the capitol police force. Governor Newsom called in the California State Guard to restore order, one of the few actively trained state militias in the country. However, the militia panicked and opened fire on the crowd, killing both peaceful and violent protestors alike. 

Now, he has declared a state of emergency in California and condemned ‘Fanatic Trump conspiracy theorists” as the cause of the incident and promising to bring justice to the perpetrators in the state. Privately, you’ve been informed that Newsom may have ambitions beyond California and wants to position himself as the most forceful law and order candidate in the 2024 election and beyond. If Governor Newsom continues to ramp up his law and order antics, he may well cause riots to break out across the country once again. However, his actions have been widely popular with progressive Democrats across the country who view him as justified in his response to insurrectionists trying to normalize political violence. What will you do?

Option 1: Urge Newsom to step down.
While I understand Governor Newsom’s concerns, now is not the time to respond with a heavy-hand. We need to urge unity in a time of crisis, and stroking the flames could be dangerous. We need to take a strong stance against such politicians and denounce demagogues on all sides of the political spectrum, even when inconvenient. (Populist)

Leadership Requirement: 4 (-1)

Option 2: Take no action. 
Let’s see how things play out. Newsom may have been justified, and ultimately he’s not done anything too forceful yet. As long as he doesn’t go any further there’s no need to take action at this point in time. 

Option 3: Support Newsom.
Wannabe dictators like Matt Gaetz and Ron DeSantis have been stirring the pot across the country, and we need to show that our state governments will respond with force to insurrectionists trying to normalize political violence. We cannot allow actions like those of California conservatives to go unchallenged and we need to encourage courage like that of Governor Newsom. 

Charisma Requirement: 5 (-1)

12 minutes ago, Cal said:

First, Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer must appoint a replacement for Senator Stabenov’s seat. Keep in mind that whomever you pick will be up for reelection again next year. (not a campaign event per se, but please choose someone to fill the vacancy, or I can do so if you prefer)

Senator Schumer would hold a private meeting with Governor Whitmer, Senator Peters, and the shortlist of candidates for the seat. Afterwards, the answer was clear. They needed someone young, who wouldn't be a rental just for the seat to open in another 2 cycles. There was also choosing someone palatable to the state as a whole, someone with a clear history of overperforming. Inevitably, the clear choice was, of course, Representative Slotkin would be the next Senator from the state of Michigan.

• Based 2

25 minutes ago, Cal said:

Second, you’ll need to determine who you want to lead your faction in the House, and presumably run for House Minority Leader. Nancy Pelosi was an admirable speaker and she handed over her position to inspire a new generation of younger Democratic leadership. Unfortunately, her handpicked successors have perished in the White House Massacre, and it will be up to you to decide where the party must go from here. 

Option 2: A New Generation. 
The Democratic Party needs a leader in the House who doesn’t have the same baggage as Pelosi, she stepped down not because she didn’t want to, but because it was best for House Democrats that she be removed from the spotlight. Instead, we’ll choose a promising Establishment Democrat that won’t stroke tensions any more than is needed right now.

Senator Schumer gives nothing but respect to Pelosi, the two had worked admirably together in the last 4 years of leadership. But Nancy stepped down, her time is done. She lead the party for nearly two decades, but that's done. It's time for Chuck to take the lead now, especially with no Biden or Harris in the way. Schumer would make his presence very known in the choosing of House leadership. With Jeffries dead, Clark and Aguilar are out of the picture. They were stooges anyways. A new era of House Dem leadership is going to pop out of the woodworks, Pelosi's plan be damned.

Debbie Dingell of Michigan will be the new House Minority leader, with the top 3 ranking House Democrats rounded out by Brendan Boyle of Pennsylvania and Chellie Pingree of Maine. Today is a new day for the DNC.

• Like 1

Rep Omar began meeting with Gov Inslee in Seatle over who would be best to hold the seat recently vacated by the venerable Sen Murray. There would be a proper special election later which made the question difficult over how they wanted to approach the appointment. A seatwarmer or a potential permanent replacement. Eventually, it was decided that the new Senator would be current Washington state Attorney General Bob Ferguson. The Att General had previously been a legislator and had been notable for his cases against Trump's travel ban and against business owners who refused to serve gay couples. If nothing else this skilled, progressive attorney will be of use to the senate no matter how long his term is.

The harder part was to come which was how to respond to Gov Newsom's crackdown on MAGA protesters in California.  Eventually, she made a call to Gov Newsom and after a long conversation, she agreed she would not make any public statements either way and let the Governor handle things in his home state. Option 2: Take no action. ,

• Like 2

With a temporary peace being achieved, for now at least... President Austin would begin moving forward with his plans to shape his Presidency into his own mold. Believing both parties, for the most part... are shook and horrified by what has gone on, gut instinct tells him they wouldn't be playing phony political games. However, under the advise of those around him, Austin would agree with taking steps to ensure that he remains President in an ethical, lawful manner. 

In a press conference; President Austin would make clear, "Now is not the time for playing political games. For both parties. Democrat or Republican. We must move forward with what we have left and heal. But we must also remain strong, steadfast, and firm against those who seek to destroy our dearly held American values." 

"On the whole I intend to wait on the result of Secretary Blinken's health prognosis, before considering any new nominee for Secretary of State. Concerning other cabinet offices we intend to fill them at a later date when the time is appropriate, so all states that lost their fellow Representatives and Senators, may God rest their souls... can have a full say."

When pressed on who would fill the future empty spots, President Austin would state, 

"We intend to appoint qualified individuals that are independent, or from both parties so we can truly create a cabinet reflective of our Union, united under the purpose of service to America. I've not been a political individual for much of my life, and now that I am President I want to create an atmosphere that is friendly to all beliefs, and acknowledging the merits of each other rather than the negatives." 

"Thank you all." 

President Austin chooses Option 2: 

9 hours ago, Cal said:

Option 2: Cautiously Comply
The safest option right now is to fill only the offices that cannot use the law to further their own selfish ambitions for the presidency. I didn’t want the job, but I’ll serve America to the best of my abilities. We’ll leave acting secretaries in place in the state department (while Blinken recovers, at least) and in the treasury and make no move to nominate a Vice President at this time. 

Urge the Senate not to make a move at this time to fill the President Pro Tempore position.

Leadership Requirement: 5 (met)
Moderate difficulty.

U.S. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin looks on during a meeting with NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg at the Pentagon in Arlington

• Like 3

The Republican Response

@Cenzonico Mr. McCarthy? Speaker? Representative? Can you hear me? Probably not, considering that you're still recovering from being bludgeoned to death. Not many people have died and been brought back so you're lucky that you received top-notch medical care, prioritized even over other members of the government. Forcing those pesky party members to hand you the gavel before your temporary demise sure was worth it for this reason at least. Starting next turn, you can wake up. Until then, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell will do what he does best and rule from the shadows. 

Speaking of of the Senate... you've got a few seats to fill! 

We'll start with the simple one, Montana Governor Greg Gianforte must appoint a replacement following Senator Daine's passing. By Montana state law you're required to select a Republican (though you'd have been crazy to have chosen a Democrat). Please nominate someone to serve until 2026, no special election required here. (not a campaign event but please fill the vacancy, or I can do it for you!)

Now, for the more complicated one... 

Georgia has been the subject of increasingly competitive races lately, with Democrats not only actively contesting seats but actually winning them at a state-level. Many pundits believe that the state is trending increasingly blue, and that has been reflected with victories that would have been absolutely shocking 10 years ago in Senator Raphael Warnock and Senator Jon Ossof. Now, with Ossof's demise, Governor Brian Kemp will have to fill the vacancy with someone to assume the position of sitting senator until an election 2024. 

Your actions here could have dramatic consequences, both in the state and nationally. 

Here at home, Georgia is one of the states most ripe for political violence. Generally, most of the states that lost a senator have come together in this time with the governor appointing a replacement similar to the fallen elected official in ideology. After all, across the country Democrats have replaced Democrats and Republicans have replaced Republicans. Now, your party wants you to change that and thwart the will of the electorate that sent Ossof to Washington over Senator Perdue just three years ago by appointing a Republican in his stead. Naturally, you would face intense criticism for this and progressives, liberals, and independents alike would be calling for your head with such a blatantly partisan move. Indeed, your advisors fear that a popular figure like Stacey Abrams could utilize such a decision against you to defeat you for reelection, but maybe even force you out sooner. 

On the other hand... this decision is one of incredible importance to the Republican Party. With no Vice President, appointing a Republican here would likely keep Democrats from retaking the Senate majority as they had been predicted to do just a week earlier, with the Senate split 50-50. Senate Majority Leader McConnell would stay on, and Democrats would be completely unable to fill the President Pro Tempore spot and thus eliminate the potential for a more permanent president to take Austin's spot. 

And this would matter for more than succession. By controlling the Senate, the Republican Party hold on to power in both the House and the Senate, having incredible control over presidential appointments, crisis legislation, and even perhaps the investigation into the White House Massacre. Republicans across the country and begging you to put your concerns in the state aside to keep the party from crumbling apart. 

What will you do?

Option 1: Appoint a Republican. 
Ultimately, it is wise that Governor Kemp serve the best interests of the party and keep the Democrats from retaking the Senate. By doing so, we can hold on for hope that McCarthy can pull through and take the Presidency himself, as well as hold the cards into the investigation. I'm sure I can handle things here in Georgia. After all, they elected me as Governor knowing I would have the power to fill such vacancies. (self interested)

Roguery Requirement: 6 (met) 

Option 2: Appoint a Democrat.
I was elected to serve the people, and it's likely that going against their will for such a huge decision could lead to violence once again. I will serve my state over my party, and appoint a Democrat to serve the remainder of the term. (self interested)

Integrity requirement: 6 (-3)

• Like 1

Cheney's Back... Back Again... Cheney's Back... Tell a Friend...

@WVProgressive, few sounded the alarm as to the danger of Donald Trump's Make America Great Again Movement as fiercely as you did. Alas, your party refused to heed your warning and instead kicked you to the curb. Once, you stood as the daughter of arguably the most powerful vice president in US history and a rising star in the Republican Party, and you were cast away by party leadership and ridiculed on conservative talk shows across the country. It seems you've gotten the last laugh as party leadership has contacted you and needs you to rise to the occasion and save the party from falling apart. 

Your small home state of Wyoming is one of the worst affected by the events on January 6th. With a fallen senator and representative, 2/3 of the representation in the capitol was wiped out in a matter of hours. Governor Mark Gordon, one of the most well-liked governors in the country and a frequent target of the far-right, has requested a meeting with you. You've been informed he's likely to ask you if you'd like to dust off your coat and return to Washington, either as a Senator or as a Representative. In the case of the former, he'd be happy to appoint you to fill out the remainder of Senator John Barrasso's term, though you'd be up for reelection 2024. In the case of the latter, he'd give you his endorsement in the upcoming house election for Wyoming's at-large congressional district. 

You have two paths back to Washington. Or, you could sit out and try an alternative route back into national prominence. You've got calls to return to the service of the United States, is now the time to answer them?

Option 1: Return to the House of Representatives. 
I was a damn good Representative and that's exactly why I was kicked out. The MAGA Republicans in the House are terrified of me after my stance in Trump's impeachment and my commitment to justice. If they thought I was a bulldog back then, just wait until they see the revenge tour. I've won in this district before and I can do it again, now with the backing of the governor to boot! (Prosecutor, self-interested)

Option 2: Accept the Senate appointment. 
I loved the House, but I wouldn't return to colleagues who got us into this mess in the first place. The Senate is more fitting with more rational leadership and free of cretins like Gaetz, Taylor, and Boebert. Sure, I'll be up for reelection soon, but with the Governor's support I'm certain I can survive a challenge from the far-right. (Prosecutor, self-interested)

Option 3: Wait it out.
I have other plans, or otherwise don't see the best path forward in returning to Congress. (Self-interested)

• Like 1

Where do Common Sense Conservatives Go From Here?

@Fbarbarossa Governor Phil Scott, you are one of many leaders that the country is turning to in a time of distress to bring stability, order, and integrity back to politics. You've performed admirably while serving the state of Vermont with broad approval from your constituents. For quite some time now there's been murmurs that you would challenge President Trump in the 2024 primaries and repudiate his crony conservatism, though now you're left only to challenge the legacy he's left on the Republican Party. I hope you're up for the job. 

To begin, you're facing the same problem that governors across the country are grappling with: replacing the fallen. Senator Bernie Sanders was not a man you agreed strongly with, but he had earned your respect and the undying support of your shared constituents. Now, you must choose to a successor to the figure who stood as a beacon of progressivism in the Democratic Party, and the appointed Senator will be up for election in a special election set for May 2nd, 2023. 

Much like your fellow Republican Governor Brian Kemp in Georgia, party leadership has requested that you fill the vacant senate position with a loyal Republican or right-leaning independent. They won't ask that it be someone you disagree with on important matters of policy, but they do want you to consider someone that will vote with the Republican majority often and cast their vote for McConnell in leadership elections. It's definitely true that your choice here could have ramifications for you in the future. After all, if the Republicans are investigated and found to be guilty of some as-of-yet undiscovered conspiracy, having an (R) next to your name for the rest of your career will be a huge detriment and perhaps keep you from ever seeking higher office.

However, your constituents expect (as does most of the country) that you'll appoint someone to fill the seat that is more in line with the politics of Senator Sanders. After all, they voted for him in droves every 6 years and his grassroots campaigns. This would anger your party and distance you from leadership. However, this might not be entirely a bad thing, particularly if you find yourself disgusted with party leadership in the first place. Ultimately, this decision will show the country where moderate Republicans stand following the White House Massacre: do you stand with the Republican Party and its leadership, or do you stand against them and their establishment?

Option 1: Appoint a Republican or right-leaning independent.
I am a party man, through and through. While the Republicans have strayed from true compassionate conservatism at different periods throughout my lifetime, we have always returned to the party of Reagan and responsible government. This event has been a wakeup call for all of us, and now is the time for moderate conservatives to step up and take back our party from those who have irresponsibly drove it into the ground. I'll cooperate with the party and return it to its former glory, no matter how long it takes. (independent, patient)

Roguery Requirement: 5 (-1)

Option 2: Appoint a Democrat or left-leaning independent.
I refuse to allow national politics to play a role in what happens here in the state of Vermont. Senator Sanders was a good man and the people deserve for their votes to be considered when appointing his successor. I will not hold liberal views, but I WILL hold my nose and respect that my constituents would prefer for the seat to be filled by someone unlike myself and my party. (independent, dedicated)

Leadership Requirement: 6 (-2)

1 hour ago, Cal said:

We'll start with the simple one, Montana Governor Greg Gianforte must appoint a replacement following Senator Daine's passing. By Montana state law you're required to select a Republican (though you'd have been crazy to have chosen a Democrat). Please nominate someone to serve until 2026, no special election required here. (not a campaign event but please fill the vacancy, or I can do it for you!)

Greg Gianforte announces he will appoint Albert Olszewski to serve the remainder of the late Senator Daines’ term. Former member of both houses of state congress, three time candidate for Senate, Governor, and House respectively, and former Surgeon in the Air Force. He will serve his new role valiantly. 

Kemp sat in the governor’s mansion. The last few days have been overwhelming, and that's honestly an understatement. But he can’t spare the time to take everything in. All of a sudden America’s eyes are on him. The fate of the Senate befalls upon him, in some ironic twist of sorts. The Loeffler appointment at the moment seemed like a slam dunk. Sure Georgia was changing but it wasn’t changing that fast right? He’s been proven wrong, thrice. So he really needs to tread carefully here, especially when the country is in a state of chaos and panic. 

After spending some time vetting and looking at potential appointees, he has come down to two people. One would be a safe option, though it would meet the ire of a certain wing of the Republican party. The other would be a massive gamble on his part, and would probably cause the party apparatus to throw him overboard. But let’s not pretend these are normal times, and it’s bizarre times like these that call for bizarre measures. 

Option 1: Brad Raffensperger

Kemp won’t mince words, this is mostly motivated as a “fuck you” to the MAGA wing. Everyone associated with them is dead to Kemp now anyway, he couldn’t care what they say. He upheld the democratic principles we hold dear and refused to back down in the face of pressure. Kemp has a lot of respect for the guy, and has a good working relationship with him. Granted he probably wouldn’t be so keen on it at first, but Kemp is certain he could convince him. At least serve the term and get out of there after. The senate could use someone like him, and it would make the party happy. He’s also more palatable to moderates, not like those liberals are gonna like what Kemp does anyway. 

Option 2: Stacey Abrams

When the idea of appointing Stacey Abrams was first floated, he thought it was crazy talk. But after taking some time to think about it, it actually doesn’t seem like that bad of an idea. He already knows the party would rain hellfire on him for appointing someone like her, especially when the balance of power is on the line here. But the rationale here is simple. For one he scores points for bipartisanship and for serving the “will of the people”. Moderate democrats would welcome it and progressives would have to go with it, even if begrudgingly so. And well, Kemp has already faced her twice. He knows how to beat her, and could easily mobilize the GOP to do so. And by god would that be satisfying to see. Abrams would easily accept the offer… at least he assumes so.  

After some more thinking, Kemp makes his final decision.

“Hello?”

“Hey it’s Kemp.”

“Oh, what do you need, governor?”

“Do you think you could put me in contact with Stacey Abrams?”

“I mean I could arrange that for you. May I ask why?”

“I have an offer for her…”

1 hour ago, Cal said:

Option 2: Appoint a Democrat.
I was elected to serve the people, and it's likely that going against their will for such a huge decision could lead to violence once again. I will serve my state over my party, and appoint a Democrat to serve the remainder of the term. (self interested)

Integrity requirement: 6 (-3)

• Like 1
  • Based 2

Phil Scott ran a hand over his face as he sat at his desk. He took a deep breath followed by another. He was shaken by recent events, shaken to the core. Politics aside he had lost people that he had met and had called friends, that was what sat in his mind primarily. He tapped his fingers against his desk before picking up the phone that sat next to him. The Governor had already decided upon a replacement for Senator Sanders, now all he had to do was make a call so that an Aide could begin the proper proceedings.

19 minutes ago, Cal said:

Option 2: Appoint a Democrat or left-leaning independent.
I refuse to allow national politics to play a role in what happens here in the state of Vermont. Senator Sanders was a good man and the people deserve for their votes to be considered when appointing his successor. I will not hold liberal views, but I WILL hold my nose and respect that my constituents would prefer for the seat to be filled by someone unlike myself and my party. (independent, dedicated)

Leadership Requirement: 6 (-2)

At the end of the day, Phil Scott is a servant of the people of Vermont. The Republican Party leadership may be urging him to appoint a Conservative but that's not what Vermonters voted for in 2018. Though he is no progressive, a progressive politician is what the people of the state voted for. And so that is who Phil Scott will appoint to the Senate seat. If the Vermont people want a Conservative then they can vote for one in the upcoming special election. With that, the Governor called an Aide and had them contact the press so that he could announce that the next Senator from Vermont will be the former President Pro Tempore of the Vermont State Senate, Tim Ashe.

Scott and Senate leader spar over proposal for school reopening panel -  VTDigger

• Based 2

3 hours ago, Cal said:

Cheney's Back... Back Again... Cheney's Back... Tell a Friend...

@WVProgressive, few sounded the alarm as to the danger of Donald Trump's Make America Great Again Movement as fiercely as you did. Alas, your party refused to heed your warning and instead kicked you to the curb. Once, you stood as the daughter of arguably the most powerful vice president in US history and a rising star in the Republican Party, and you were cast away by party leadership and ridiculed on conservative talk shows across the country. It seems you've gotten the last laugh as party leadership has contacted you and needs you to rise to the occasion and save the party from falling apart. 

Your small home state of Wyoming is one of the worst affected by the events on January 6th. With a fallen senator and representative, 2/3 of the representation in the capitol was wiped out in a matter of hours. Governor Mark Gordon, one of the most well-liked governors in the country and a frequent target of the far-right, has requested a meeting with you. You've been informed he's likely to ask you if you'd like to dust off your coat and return to Washington, either as a Senator or as a Representative. In the case of the former, he'd be happy to appoint you to fill out the remainder of Senator John Barrasso's term, though you'd be up for reelection 2024. In the case of the latter, he'd give you his endorsement in the upcoming house election for Wyoming's at-large congressional district. 

You have two paths back to Washington. Or, you could sit out and try an alternative route back into national prominence. You've got calls to return to the service of the United States, is now the time to answer them?

Option 2: Accept the Senate appointment. 
I loved the House, but I wouldn't return to colleagues who got us into this mess in the first place. The Senate is more fitting with more rational leadership and free of cretins like Gaetz, Taylor, and Boebert. Sure, I'll be up for reelection soon, but with the Governor's support I'm certain I can survive a challenge from the far-right. (Prosecutor, self-interested)

Prelude - January Sixth

I can't help but feel dirty whenever I watch MSNBC. I'm not listening to whatever analyst they have speaking over footage of an empty podium swarmed by thousands of ravenous MAGA devotees. Trump appears, and all his fans scream like they've just witnessed the second coming. "He's nothing but a coward, all bark, and no bite." my father says, resting his feet confidently on an ottoman, as Trump prepares to speak with that irksome self-assured smirk he always does. Before he can get a word out a shot rings out, the glass shatters, and he falls to the floor. A moment later explosives go off, I can see the Capitol Building start to burn.

Everything after that, is a blur. A shattered wine glass, sirens, Phil driving us to the hospital. I wake from my walking stupor while wandering the halls of St. John's, my phone ringing in my purse. I pick up, and put it to my ear silently, "Liz, it's chaos, Trump's supporters are in a frenzy, we even had to evacuate the capitol." Governor Gordon tells me frantically, "The news, can't even agree on who's dead, and who's alive." he continued.

"I just wanted to tell you, I'm sorry, you were right, and I promise, if we both make it out of this I'll help you get back into the saddle any way I can." Gordon tells me in a trembling voice. Before I can respond, I feel the wind get knocked out of me a force unseen, trapping my voice in my throat. I take a breath to recover my composure, "Be with you family, Mark, we can discuss this after things have calmed down." I tell him, "Alright, but the promise stands." he responds before hanging up. I turn around, still unsure of where exactly I am, and am met with the sight of Mary drawing closer to with tears in her eyes. "Liz, he's..." she begins, "I know," I respond sparing her the pain of verbalizing the fact, "I know..." I repeat, bringing her into a comforting embrace. As my younger sister buried her wet face into my shoulder, I steel myself for what must be done.

The Meeting With Governor Gordon

The rioters did a number on the Governor's Mansion. The furniture has been smashed, torn up, and ruined. There are still burn marks on some of the walls. And yet, here I am, sitting across from Mark Gordon like it was any other Tuesday. Maybe his decision was made out of an attempt to make the government appear slightly less rattled by the massacre which had occurred just a few days prior. Or perhaps it stems from over-confidence, and stupidity. Who's to say.

"Thanks for meeting with me, Liz, especially so soon after the death of your father." Mark begins sympathetically, "The sun doesn't turn off when you lose a loved one," I begin, "And at times like this we can't afford to let our grief stop us from doing our duty." I add. "Right, well, that brings me back to what I wanted to discuss," Mark says, "Liz, John Borrasso is dead, and I want to know if you're willing to step up to be Wyoming's Senator." he offers.

I lean back in my seat wordlessly, "I know it's higher than any office you've held previously, but, we need someone like you in there Liz." Mark tells me, "The Democrats are going to make this a partisan issue if we don't have someone like you up there to counter the narrative." he continues. The thought tumbles in my mind for a few moments, I think of how all those spineless cowards like McCarthy acted the first time around, I think of all the bloviating pundits dragged her name through the mud... I think of my father. "I'll accept, under the condition that you understand that I will spare nothing in my efforts to rid this party, and this country of the toxic MAGA movement which got us into this mess." I say sternly, leaning forward. Mark opens his mouth to respond, closes it, takes a look around his destroyed office, and says "Alright... I'll make it official tonight... Senator Cheney."

Option 2

• Like 2

We'll never Mar-a-laGO away!

@The Blood Representative Matt Gaetz, welcome to national politics. With the illegitimate Biden administration's brutal assassination of the truly-elected President Trump, now is the time for you to fill the void that has been left by the death of America's greatest leader. Well, greatest outside of YOU, of course! We all know that with Trump out of the picture, you can take over the reins and lead true patriots to victory. MAGA fans all over the country are looking to you to provide them with guidance. 

They're pissed off.
They're filled with anger and need somewhere to direct it. They're ready to storm the capitol again if only you would command them. Or they will be in time, anyway. 

But... they're also fearful.
What if they were wrong? What if President Biden DIDN'T order the murder of the greatest president in American history? Could it be possible that Biden was simply a horrible person and president, and maybe this is the doing of China? Russia? Hillary Clinton? 

You cannot let the movement falter. There cannot be doubts. The American people need YOU to lead them, Mr. Gaetz, because no one else can. Everyone else is bending to the globalists, the Democrats, the establishment. It's your job to rile them back up and remind them just why they stormed the capitol in the first place. 

The first order of business for you is answering a telegram from the aging Alabama Governor Kay Ivey. Like yourself, she is a true patriot and loyal to the cause to Make America Great Again. She never withdrew her support from Roy Moore when the Democrats led their smear campaign against him, and she ran for reelection with a core plank being her support of President Trump in his declaration that the 2020 Presidential election had been stolen from him. 

She wants to know who should be appointed to serve the remainder of Senator Tuberville's term, ending in 2026. She's got a shortlist of candidates, of course, but increasingly MAGA politicians are looking to you for your input. Who should fill the Senate seat? 

With that order of business out of the way sir, the next is to decide how exactly you're going to speak to the public about the events of January 6th. I know, sir, the patriots did nothing wrong. But you'll need to play a careful game out there: if you openly speak the truth that Sleepy Joe had President Trump assassinated, you're likely to end up in the crosshairs of the government.

Your supporters will love it and it'll rile up the base, but it might be more politically advantageous to dance around the topic for now. If you can preserve your political credibility, you can continue to stroke the flames of fury until you're ready to unleash a raging inferno. However, your supporters also might see this as a betrayal if you don't do it right. You could even denounce President Trump's rhetoric if you wanted to hide your intentions the most and cozy up to the Republican establishment. This calming of tensions might win you points with the party and hell, maybe even be enough for them to support you running for Senate or Governor one of these days. 

What will you do, sir? 

Option 1: Proclaim the truth immediately. 
I'm not going to hold my tongue any more than Biden did when he gave the orders to murder the greatest President in United States history. Patriots will hear my call and know that I am one of the only politicians willing to tell them the truth. The consequences to my political career by damned.
Self-interested, Egotistical, Populist.

Leadership Requirement: 6(-2)

Option 2: Denounce the Government, but only cast doubt without directly stating Biden's involvement. 
It's important that I lay low and continue to build my profile up before I make any drastic moves. I need to be careful and calculated in fighting the Deep State without being made into a target myself. If I die, so too does any chance of America ever being taken back. 
Self-interested.

Difficulty: Easy-Moderate.
Roguery requirement: 6 (satisfied)

Option 3: Denounce Trump.
I can't believe I'm even writing this up as an option, I know you won't be choosing it. Regardless, you could go the path of sucking up to the RINOs and liberals that have taken over this country in a sleeper agent type of plan. I know you don't mean it, and probably most of the viewers back home will too. However, were you to succeed, you'd be in a hell of a position. 
Populist.

Difficulty: Near-impossible. 
Charisma requirement: 8 (-2)

Late at night, as his constituents and wife laid down in slumber, Matt Gaetz did much the opposite, sitting restlessly in his home office in Florida as the infamous Congressman contemplated the past, present, and future. Thinking of the past, Gaetz was angry, and not simply because of Trump's murder at the hands of the Deep State. Donald's assassination was certainly a setback, but it was not a deathblow to the movement. Instead, Gaetz's rage was truly inspired by the failure of MAGA to finish the job on January 6th. Sure, the entire revolt was unplanned and rash, but those brave Patriots were able to bring their righteous fury down on that dementia patient Joe and so many other Swamp Creatures that day. If only more of them were armed, Patriots around the country joined in a persistent revolution, and the American people had seen through and rejected that illegitimate Deep State stooge Austin...

Gaetz snapped himself out of it. Recognizing that he couldn't stew forever in missed opportunities, the incendiary politician began considering the present situation. The loss of Trump was sure to be felt in the Republican Party, but Gaetz understood that Donald's murder by The Regime had emboldened millions of Americans towards seeking vengeance and justice. And still more Americans were left dazed by the assassination, prime targets to be provided the truth of January 6th. As for his own position, Gaetz recognized that this was his opportunity. Neither Boebert, Cruz, nor that McCarthyite traitor Greene were prepared to channel and command the fiery power of the MAGA movement. It would be him who took charge, leading true Patriots to drain The Swamp like the Archangel Michael casting Lucifer out of heaven...

And with that thought, Gaetz was now focused on the future. Soon he would be expected to return to Washington, playing along with Congress' charade as that rotten body pretended to be the exacters of justice and truth, all the while ignoring the truth of Trump's assassination. But, in Congress and throughout the country, Gaetz intended to assume his role as MAGA leader in full. He would bring war down on the Deep State Democrats and Republicans alike and would do everything in his power to dismantle The Regime which killed Donald Trump. And it was in Trump's honor that Gaetz intended to ensure everlasting Patriot control of the GOP, flushing out Swamp Creatures like McCarthy and Liz Cheney once and for all...

With all these thoughts in mind, Gaetz's true work began the next morning, as Alabama Governor Kay Ivey reached out to talk.

2 hours ago, Cal said:

She wants to know who should be appointed to serve the remainder of Senator Tuberville's term, ending in 2026. She's got a shortlist of candidates, of course, but increasingly MAGA politicians are looking to you for your input. Who should fill the Senate seat? 

As Gaetz contemplated Governor Ivey's request, his mind arrived at a few key qualities he desired from an allied Senator. Gaetz wanted someone outside of The Swamp, who was a Culture Warrior ready to fight the Deep State Democrats and RINOs on the defining issues of the day. Suddenly, the name came to him. While Ivey had recent history with him, Gaetz suggested his name knowing the Governor would turn the other cheek and uplift a true Patriot to office. That name being Tim James, a successful businessman, three-time Alabama gubernatorial candidate, and staunch MAGA conservative. 

588381067_56355768-136c-44c3-8538-a21e960f2365-220112_jc_timjames_04(2).png.e59c15332bf8fd383db27b60a173d056.png 

3 hours ago, Cal said:

Option 1: Proclaim the truth immediately. 
I'm not going to hold my tongue any more than Biden did when he gave the orders to murder the greatest President in United States history. Patriots will hear my call and know that I am one of the only politicians willing to tell them the truth. The consequences to my political career by damned.
Self-interested, Egotistical, Populist.

Tucker Carlson Tonight opened with the eponymous host flashing a grin and exhibiting an eager appearance. 

Tucker: "Tonight, we're going to start off with a very special guest. Congressman Matt Gaetz is with us from Florida, here to talk with us about the killing of President Trump and the resulting unrest in Washington. Thank you so much for speaking with us, Representative."

Gaetz: "It's my pleasure to be here, Tucker." 

Tucker: "Let's just get right into it. So, you were there in the Capitol during President Trump's murder and for the unrest, brutal crackdown, and assumption of power by Lloyd Austin which followed. Americans around the country and my viewers are looking for answers after all of this. Do you have these answers?" 

Gaetz: "Well, Tucker, the American people already have the answers! We all saw the FBI leak, and we know that from day one of Joe Biden's Presidency, the Deep State was working to suppress and remove Donald Trump from the picture. Now, knowing Joe's condition as a dementia patient, I won't hold his grave to account for the assassination. But at the prodding of his handlers, Biden almost certainly signed off on The Swamp's plan to kill Trump."

Tucker: "Well this is the first time I've heard anyone mention the FBI leak since the 6th, and everyone in power seems to want us to forget about it. If this all is true, do you think it implicates anyone still in office, including the man telling us all he's the new President?"

Gaetz: "Absolutely, Austin and everyone else left in the Administration could be implicated. If it were up to me, we would have an emergency interim President as investigations, audits, and arrests revealed the full truth of the plot to assassinate President Trump. I will tell you Tucker that the bloodshed and death in Washington was terrible, on both sides. But Americans need to remember how this all started, with the killing of President Trump, and we all need to understand that the Deep State which brought this terror and violence to our capital is still in operation, leading our country off a cliff towards annihilation and the Great Reset." 

Tucker: "Americans always need to be questioning who's really pulling the strings, I agree. Well, Congressman, that's all the time we have for you in the hour. Thanks for coming on, and I'll be glad to talk to you in the future."

Gaetz: "Thanks for having me, Tucker, and I'll see you again soon." 

210331195118-gaetz-tucker-carlson-split-super-169.jpg.1ceed8916c2989df52f83f6355edd68f.jpg

• Like 2
  • Disagree 1

14 hours ago, The Blood said:

Late at night, as his constituents and wife laid down in slumber, Matt Gaetz did much the opposite, sitting restlessly in his home office in Florida as the infamous Congressman contemplated the past, present, and future. Thinking of the past, Gaetz was angry, and not simply because of Trump's murder at the hands of the Deep State. Donald's assassination was certainly a setback, but it was not a deathblow to the movement. Instead, Gaetz's rage was truly inspired by the failure of MAGA to finish the job on January 6th. Sure, the entire revolt was unplanned and rash, but those brave Patriots were able to bring their righteous fury down on that dementia patient Joe and so many other Swamp Creatures that day. If only more of them were armed, Patriots around the country joined in a persistent revolution, and the American people had seen through and rejected that illegitimate Deep State stooge Austin...

Gaetz snapped himself out of it. Recognizing that he couldn't stew forever in missed opportunities, the incendiary politician began considering the present situation. The loss of Trump was sure to be felt in the Republican Party, but Gaetz understood that Donald's murder by The Regime had emboldened millions of Americans towards seeking vengeance and justice. And still more Americans were left dazed by the assassination, prime targets to be provided the truth of January 6th. As for his own position, Gaetz recognized that this was his opportunity. Neither Boebert, Cruz, nor that McCarthyite traitor Greene were prepared to channel and command the fiery power of the MAGA movement. It would be him who took charge, leading true Patriots to drain The Swamp like the Archangel Michael casting Lucifer out of heaven...

And with that thought, Gaetz was now focused on the future. Soon he would be expected to return to Washington, playing along with Congress' charade as that rotten body pretended to be the exacters of justice and truth, all the while ignoring the truth of Trump's assassination. But, in Congress and throughout the country, Gaetz intended to assume his role as MAGA leader in full. He would bring war down on the Deep State Democrats and Republicans alike and would do everything in his power to dismantle The Regime which killed Donald Trump. And it was in Trump's honor that Gaetz intended to ensure everlasting Patriot control of the GOP, flushing out Swamp Creatures like McCarthy and Liz Cheney once and for all...

With all these thoughts in mind, Gaetz's true work began the next morning, as Alabama Governor Kay Ivey reached out to talk.

As Gaetz contemplated Governor Ivey's request, his mind arrived at a few key qualities he desired from an allied Senator. Gaetz wanted someone outside of The Swamp, who was a Culture Warrior ready to fight the Deep State Democrats and RINOs on the defining issues of the day. Suddenly, the name came to him. While Ivey had recent history with him, Gaetz suggested his name knowing the Governor would turn the other cheek and uplift a true Patriot to office. That name being Tim James, a successful businessman, three-time Alabama gubernatorial candidate, and staunch MAGA conservative. 

588381067_56355768-136c-44c3-8538-a21e960f2365-220112_jc_timjames_04(2).png.e59c15332bf8fd383db27b60a173d056.png 

Tucker Carlson Tonight opened with the eponymous host flashing a grin and exhibiting an eager appearance. 

Tucker: "Tonight, we're going to start off with a very special guest. Congressman Matt Gaetz is with us from Florida, here to talk with us about the killing of President Trump and the resulting unrest in Washington. Thank you so much for speaking with us, Representative."

Gaetz: "It's my pleasure to be here, Tucker." 

Tucker: "Let's just get right into it. So, you were there in the Capitol during President Trump's murder and for the unrest, brutal crackdown, and assumption of power by Lloyd Austin which followed. Americans around the country and my viewers are looking for answers after all of this. Do you have these answers?" 

Gaetz: "Well, Tucker, the American people already have the answers! We all saw the FBI leak, and we know that from day one of Joe Biden's Presidency, the Deep State was working to suppress and remove Donald Trump from the picture. Now, knowing Joe's condition as a dementia patient, I won't hold his grave to account for the assassination. But at the prodding of his handlers, Biden almost certainly signed off on The Swamp's plan to kill Trump."

Tucker: "Well this is the first time I've heard anyone mention the FBI leak since the 6th, and everyone in power seems to want us to forget about it. If this all is true, do you think it implicates anyone still in office, including the man telling us all he's the new President?"

Gaetz: "Absolutely, Austin and everyone else left in the Administration could be implicated. If it were up to me, we would have an emergency interim President as investigations, audits, and arrests revealed the full truth of the plot to assassinate President Trump. I will tell you Tucker that the bloodshed and death in Washington was terrible, on both sides. But Americans need to remember how this all started, with the killing of President Trump, and we all need to understand that the Deep State which brought this terror and violence to our capital is still in operation, leading our country off a cliff towards annihilation and the Great Reset." 

Tucker: "Americans always need to be questioning who's really pulling the strings, I agree. Well, Congressman, that's all the time we have for you in the hour. Thanks for coming on, and I'll be glad to talk to you in the future."

Gaetz: "Thanks for having me, Tucker, and I'll see you again soon." 

210331195118-gaetz-tucker-carlson-split-super-169.jpg.1ceed8916c2989df52f83f6355edd68f.jpg

Pre modifier rolls: 4, 10. 
Post modifier result: 4. 

You got lucky this time, sir.

Had the President caught wind of this kind of rhetoric you very well may had ended up under investigation with the nation calling for your resignation like they did last year. However, it seems that there was a technical issue during the broadcast that led to your mic going in and out intermittently. As a result, your truthful call to action was understood by some, but not by others. At the end of the day you'll have to call this one a loss because you've gotten a bit of heat in the media and patriots haven't had their big moment yet calling them to action. Probably the only good thing you've learned from this is that the rest of the so-called MAGA Republicans aren't making any big moves to fill the leadership void left by President Trump's assassination nor calling on you to resign. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, WVProgressive said:

Prelude - January Sixth

I can't help but feel dirty whenever I watch MSNBC. I'm not listening to whatever analyst they have speaking over footage of an empty podium swarmed by thousands of ravenous MAGA devotees. Trump appears, and all his fans scream like they've just witnessed the second coming. "He's nothing but a coward, all bark, and no bite." my father says, resting his feet confidently on an ottoman, as Trump prepares to speak with that irksome self-assured smirk he always does. Before he can get a word out a shot rings out, the glass shatters, and he falls to the floor. A moment later explosives go off, I can see the Capitol Building start to burn.

Everything after that, is a blur. A shattered wine glass, sirens, Phil driving us to the hospital. I wake from my walking stupor while wandering the halls of St. John's, my phone ringing in my purse. I pick up, and put it to my ear silently, "Liz, it's chaos, Trump's supporters are in a frenzy, we even had to evacuate the capitol." Governor Gordon tells me frantically, "The news, can't even agree on who's dead, and who's alive." he continued.

"I just wanted to tell you, I'm sorry, you were right, and I promise, if we both make it out of this I'll help you get back into the saddle any way I can." Gordon tells me in a trembling voice. Before I can respond, I feel the wind get knocked out of me a force unseen, trapping my voice in my throat. I take a breath to recover my composure, "Be with you family, Mark, we can discuss this after things have calmed down." I tell him, "Alright, but the promise stands." he responds before hanging up. I turn around, still unsure of where exactly I am, and am met with the sight of Mary drawing closer to with tears in her eyes. "Liz, he's..." she begins, "I know," I respond sparing her the pain of verbalizing the fact, "I know..." I repeat, bringing her into a comforting embrace. As my younger sister buried her wet face into my shoulder, I steel myself for what must be done.

The Meeting With Governor Gordon

The rioters did a number on the Governor's Mansion. The furniture has been smashed, torn up, and ruined. There are still burn marks on some of the walls. And yet, here I am, sitting across from Mark Gordon like it was any other Tuesday. Maybe his decision was made out of an attempt to make the government appear slightly less rattled by the massacre which had occurred just a few days prior. Or perhaps it stems from over-confidence, and stupidity. Who's to say.

"Thanks for meeting with me, Liz, especially so soon after the death of your father." Mark begins sympathetically, "The sun doesn't turn off when you lose a loved one," I begin, "And at times like this we can't afford to let our grief stop us from doing our duty." I add. "Right, well, that brings me back to what I wanted to discuss," Mark says, "Liz, John Borrasso is dead, and I want to know if you're willing to step up to be Wyoming's Senator." he offers.

I lean back in my seat wordlessly, "I know it's higher than any office you've held previously, but, we need someone like you in there Liz." Mark tells me, "The Democrats are going to make this a partisan issue if we don't have someone like you up there to counter the narrative." he continues. The thought tumbles in my mind for a few moments, I think of how all those spineless cowards like McCarthy acted the first time around, I think of all the bloviating pundits dragged her name through the mud... I think of my father. "I'll accept, under the condition that you understand that I will spare nothing in my efforts to rid this party, and this country of the toxic MAGA movement which got us into this mess." I say sternly, leaning forward. Mark opens his mouth to respond, closes it, takes a look around his destroyed office, and says "Alright... I'll make it official tonight... Senator Cheney."

Option 2

Riot at the governor's mansion, Vice President Cheney dead at 82. 
-Casper Star-Tribune

Elizabeth Cheney makes her comeback... to the Senate.
-Wyoming Tribune Eagle

Mrs... I mean, Senator Cheney, the nation mourns the loss of a great man in your father. His dedication to the United States is unquestioned by those who experienced the events of September 11th, 2001 and his leadership and action in the face of criticism is something that we all hope you can emulate in the worst crisis in the years since. 

Your return to politics has been met with pretty widespread praise by many in the party establishment, and even Democrats have tweeted out rare words of encouragement in this hyper-partisan era. Sure, MAGA Republicans have condemned you as a traitor to the party and questioned Governor Gordon's decision to appoint you to the Senate, but that was always expected. You've got nothing to lose by burning bridges with them -- it's what you were brought to Washington to do. 

Alongside your senatorial duties, you'll also be expected to run for reelection in the upcoming year. Almost certainly you'll face a primary challenge from the far-right. But, for now, you're on the plane to DC and are ready to get to work. We all look forward to seeing just what you can do for this country. 

Premodifier roll: 6
Postmodifier roll: 8

• Like 2

On 2/2/2023 at 9:58 PM, Pringles said:

With a temporary peace being achieved, for now at least... President Austin would begin moving forward with his plans to shape his Presidency into his own mold. Believing both parties, for the most part... are shook and horrified by what has gone on, gut instinct tells him they wouldn't be playing phony political games. However, under the advise of those around him, Austin would agree with taking steps to ensure that he remains President in an ethical, lawful manner. 

In a press conference; President Austin would make clear, "Now is not the time for playing political games. For both parties. Democrat or Republican. We must move forward with what we have left and heal. But we must also remain strong, steadfast, and firm against those who seek to destroy our dearly held American values." 

"On the whole I intend to wait on the result of Secretary Blinken's health prognosis, before considering any new nominee for Secretary of State. Concerning other cabinet offices we intend to fill them at a later date when the time is appropriate, so all states that lost their fellow Representatives and Senators, may God rest their souls... can have a full say."

When pressed on who would fill the future empty spots, President Austin would state, 

"We intend to appoint qualified individuals that are independent, or from both parties so we can truly create a cabinet reflective of our Union, united under the purpose of service to America. I've not been a political individual for much of my life, and now that I am President I want to create an atmosphere that is friendly to all beliefs, and acknowledging the merits of each other rather than the negatives." 

"Thank you all." 

President Austin chooses Option 2: 

U.S. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin looks on during a meeting with NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg at the Pentagon in Arlington

President Austin refuses to make key appointments, fears he'll lose control source says. 
CNN

LEAKER REVEALS: Unelected Austin fears he'll be kicked to the curb by his own party. 
Fox News Network.

President Austin... I'm sure you've seen the news. One of your advisors secretly recorded and leaked audio from our most recent meeting discussing where we can go from here as a country and strategically cut the footage to make you look like you were going to refuse to fill any cabinet positions that could ever usurp the presidency from you. We've identified the leaker and the appropriate charges have been made for leaking confidential information, but the harm has been done. Vipers on both sides of the aisle have taken advantage of this to further their own political agenda. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has blasted you for an "unprecedented" move to hold on to power, while even Democrats in the Senate are uncomfortable with the idea of an unelected President obstructing the law, even if the goal is to ensure that there is a sense of stability while we are still reeling from a crisis and in an active state of emergency. 

I know just as well as everyone in that damned meeting room did that you were honest to the American people when you said that you were going to put party politics aside and fill the seats with the most qualified individual to bring the country back to greatness. However, your gut instinct was wrong in telling you that this was not a time for petty party politics. It seems not even your own White House is safe. 

Now, there is talk across the country about your legitimacy as a president and if you will give up power when the time comes. Some say that there's a reason we strive to put a civilian at the top of the chain of command as commander-in-chief and that this is a sign you may well pull a full military coup if you feel it's necessary to retain the presidency. Regardless of your intent, the country has grown more uneasy. It's not the end of the world for you (after all, the memory of the American public is short) but you have your work cut out for you going forward.

You'll be fine as long as you...

Wait... what's this? 

What broadcast got cut short? And the response is... Oh dear. 

Mr. President. We may have another crisis on our hands.

Premodifier roll: 3.
Post-modifier roll: 1.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1