The Political Lounge

What is your most right-wing and left-wing view?

DakotaHale

Mostly based on a US perspective, but other country's perspectives are welcome as well.

Most right-wing: In favor of total Constitutional firearm ownership w/o permits (though I would still prefer people get those) and "Heartbeat Bill" abortion laws.

Most left-wing: In favor of total universal health coverage.

Bonus  - Radical-Centrist: In favor of a law that requires an ID to vote, but also automatically registers every living ID'd person to vote and makes IDs free to get.

Most right-wing: I'm pretty interventionist when it comes to foreign policy, though that's more old-school right wing, I feel as though I see a number of Republicans arguing Biden's risking WWIII by helping Ukraine when my beef with him is that he should be doing more. 

Most left-wing: I'm very much in favor of comprehensive immigration reform. We can stand to do more to secure the border sure, but we need to make it easier to immigrate to this country and should increase the number of immigrants we let in every year. 

• Agree 1
  • Based 1

Most Right wing - libertarian: Most zoning laws should be eliminated.  If you own property, you should be able to do with it as you please.

Most old school right wing - Everyone age 18 should serve a year in the military, although not necessarily combat roles.  The armed forces need scientists, computer hackers and cooks too.  

Most left wing: a UK style universal health care system.

38 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

Mostly based on a US perspective, but other country's perspectives are welcome as well.

Most right-wing: In favor of total Constitutional firearm ownership w/o permits (though I would still prefer people get those) and "Heartbeat Bill" abortion laws.

Most left-wing: In favor of total universal health coverage.

Bonus  - Radical-Centrist: In favor of a law that requires an ID to vote, but also automatically registers every living ID'd person to vote and makes IDs free to get.

Strangely, I'd support this package, if you take out the abortion law. I'd be willingto cave on firearms for universal health care and automatic registration. 

For me, most left wing: Guaranteed Minimum Income that is tied to the cost of living and is adjusted accordingly every few years. 

Most right wing: I've mentioned this before, but I do have a States Right strain to me, with some exception, however. I think a state should be able to opt out of some federal legislation (not emergency bills) provided they show that they have or plan to have a "reasonable alternative," or are willing to trade a loss in federal funding to their state. 

A reasonable alternative might be, say opting out of a $25 federal minimum wage. Let's say Alabama finds that the cost of living in Alabama is significantly cheaper than elsewhere. They figure $25 is excessive for companies to pay, so they plan on passing a $15 min wage as an "reasonable alternative." A Congressional bipartisan committee would then approve or reject the alternate as reasonable or not. 

I think my most radical centrist stance is that I think all SC Justices must be promoted from lower federal courts and that they must have an independent voting record, not be a member of any party or partisan organization within the last decade, basically have more proof of being non-partisan than partisan. They committee that recommends them should also be non-partisan/bipartisan from the Senate. I think best way to do this is to have the Democrats select the Republican Senators on the committee, and vice versa. 

33 minutes ago, ShortKing said:

Most right-wing: I'm pretty interventionist when it comes to foreign policy, though that's more old-school right wing, I feel as though I see a number of Republicans arguing Biden's risking WWIII by helping Ukraine when my beef with him is that he should be doing more. 

Most left-wing: I'm very much in favor of comprehensive immigration reform. We can stand to do more to secure the border sure, but we need to make it easier to immigrate to this country and should increase the number of immigrants we let in every year. 

My most right wing is basically the same as ShortKings. 

Most Left Wing (though I feel it's more universal these days.): Our education system is broken and we need to get rid of standardized testing completely, get rid of common core. 

My most right wing view, from at least from the standpoint of the American right: Gun Rights and Self Defence. Anything law enforcement can use, the populace should be able to use. Castle Doctrine, stand your ground laws, and constitutional carry should be universal. 

Most left wing: Big Universal Healthcare and Free Public Universities fan, though I would supplement both with policies to reduce costs (improving health/reducing health costs and reducing college admissions).

Bonus policies that are fairly extreme but I don’t know if they’re left or right: All drugs should be decriminalized with most being fully legal. Zoning laws can go fuck themselves, big reason why we have a housing crisis and unlivable cities in the modern day.

Edited by Rezi
  • Agree 1
  • Based 1

2 hours ago, ShortKing said:

2 hours ago, Rezi said:

Most left wing: Big Universal Healthcare and Free Public Universities fan, though I would supplement both with policies to reduce costs (improving health and reducing college admissions).

You both have said it better than I could 😛 

Most Right-Wing: I believe elective abortion should be totally illegal.

Most Left-Wing: I support UBI & and an American NHS. Though it should be known that I support it in the sense that I see it as a replacement to our bloated, and inefficient welfare, and healthcare systems respectively so maybe that disqualifies it from being truly left wing.

Most Radical that isn't left, or right: I support an ethical, controlled reduction of the human population.

2 hours ago, Imperator Taco Cat said:

Most right wing: minimum wage is bad and harms the economy.

I have a more RW view on the minimum wage than most people on the left side of the compass, but it's just a really complicated issue. I, personally, would prefer to see a more decentralized minimum wage system that deals with a local cost of living. The closest system to one that I'd enjoy is what they have in Oregon, where they split the minimum wage into 3 tiers (rural, non-Portland urban, Portland).

2 hours ago, NCblue1 said:

Most Right wing - libertarian: Most zoning laws should be eliminated.  If you own property, you should be able to do with it as you please.

Most old school right wing - Everyone age 18 should serve a year in the military, although not necessarily combat roles.  The armed forces need scientists, computer hackers and cooks too.  

Most left wing: a UK style universal health care system.

I don't know you of course, so I have no idea if you're a property owner or not...

But as a property owner, what your neighbor does with their property has a HUGE impact on your own property.  If my next door neighbor decides to tear down his house to build a Walmart, that's going to have a huge impact on both the value of my own house and on my day to day living -- neither of which I anticipated when I paid the  "Not next to a Walmart" price for my house.

Most right-wing:  I join @ShortKing as an interventionist.  Pre-emptive strikes actually are quite necessary in the modern world, and just having the threat out there that we COULD invade if we wanted to gives a lot of countries motivation to not give us a reason to want to.  I'm also against legalization of recreational drugs, giving convicted felons the right to vote, etc.  Just don't commit crimes!  It's not hard.  I'm 39, and I've made it this far without a criminal record because I knew there would be consequences to my actions.

Most left-wing: I generally align with Democrats other than the issues mentioned above, but the issue I'm most passionate about is LGBTQ rights.  If you're not 100% on board with LGBTQ rights, then you've just abandoned all sense of your humanity in my view.  I'd rather vote for someone who agrees with me on LGBTQ but disagrees with me on everything else, rather than vote for someone who disagrees on LGBTQ but agrees on everything else.

Why?  Because there's a whole spectrum of issues in which the answer is honestly just "it depends."  Life is freaking complicated, and even more so if you're talking about EVERYBODY's lives.  I'm pro war, but I understand the argument against it.  I'm anti drugs, but I understand the argument in favor.  My own views on abortion are complicated, so I can certainly understand both sides.

But respecting someone's basic right to enter into a consensual relationship with the adult of their choosing is just so fundamental that anyone who disagrees is either stupid or evil, and I don't have time in my life for either one.

• Like 1
  • Based 1

3 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I'm also against legalization of recreational drugs, giving convicted felons the right to vote, etc.  Just don't commit crimes!  It's not hard.

I respectively disagree with you on the drug issue (only marijuana honestly.) But man you're based for being against convicted felons voting. Never change Ted. (Actually to perfect is to change often... just be reasonable I suppose. You get my point, I digress.) 😛 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

Most Radical that isn't left, or right: I support an ethical, controlled reduction of the human population.

but why? The birth rate in most developed countries is already dangerously low to the point of inviting economic contractions and eventually, collapse if not confronted

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, ShortKing said:

but why? The birth rate in most developed countries is already dangerously low to the point of inviting economic contractions and eventually, collapse if not confronted

This is actually a super interesting discussion.  Yes, it is undeniably true that the birth rate in most industrialized/developed countries is dangerously low and could lead to collapse. Japan is already there, and the US and other nations aren’t far behind.

On the other hand, it’s literally a first world problem. Growth in underdeveloped countries is expected to outpace the losses in first world countries, so that the overall world population will continue to grow.

Some numbers, per the UN.

World population in 1950: 2.5 billion.

World population in 2022: 8 billion.

Projected World population in 2050: 9.7 billion.

Projected world population in 2085: 10.4 billion.

2085 Is currently projected to be the peak, and it will start decreasing after that.

As for what can be done about it: loosen up immigration laws.  Mexico is one of those places that is projected to keep growing, for example. We need their overflow to enter our country so that we can have a population that can be self-sustaining.  

In the near future, the chief import for developed nations will be humans.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

This is actually a super interesting discussion.  Yes, it is undeniably true that the birth rate in most industrialized/developed countries is dangerously low and could lead to collapse. Japan is already there, and the US and other nations aren’t far behind.

On the other hand, it’s literally a first world problem. Growth in underdeveloped countries is expected to outpace the losses in first world countries, so that the overall world population will continue to grow.

Some numbers, per the UN.

World population in 1950: 2.5 billion.

World population in 2022: 8 billion.

Projected World population in 2050: 9.7 billion.

Projected world population in 2085: 10.4 billion.

2085 Is currently projected to be the peak, and it will start decreasing after that.

As for what can be done about it: loosen up immigration laws.  Mexico is one of those places that is projected to keep growing, for example. We need their overflow to enter our country so that we can have a population that can be self-sustaining.  

In the near future, the chief import for developed nations will be humans.

Hence why legal immigration, of skilled hardworking men and women from all over the world is a must for the future sustainability of America and many other countries. 

But hey let’s just call it the great replacement theory to get the dying boomer vote 😛 

16 minutes ago, Pringles said:

Hence why legal immigration, of skilled hardworking men and women from all over the world is a must for the future sustainability of America and many other countries. 

But hey let’s just call it the great replacement theory to get the dying boomer vote 😛 

Agreed, but not just skilled.  We’re going to need unskilled too.

• Agree 2

23 minutes ago, ShortKing said:

While I agree with Ted that looser immigration laws would be a solution to the economic problems that come along with HPR, it misses the point that economic contraction is one of HPR's many benefits. Let me explain. Human overshoot is destroying the planet. An economy which necessitates infinite growth on a planet of finite resources, and a society obsessed with individualism, has led to the extinction of hundreds of species, thousands more being put at risk of extinction, billions of hectares of nature have either been twisted to serve mankind, or have been ruined by our arrogate disregard for the planet which birthed us. Make no mistake, this situation has not improved at all in recent years, and in fact only grows worse by the day. The only solution, outside of a cultish devotion to the "tech will save us!" ideology that infests the modern liberal, is a total restructuring of the global economy around a system that does not rely on brainless mass consumption, and infinite growth with finite resources in order to function like our current status-quo. I have countless proposals for how this hypothetical society ought to be constructed, but that would be getting too off topic for this response.

In short;

De-growth Is The Point

• Agree 1

Uhhh.... I'm already pretty radical conventionally speaking, so all of my positions?

(On a serious note)

Right-wing: An extreme downsizing of government into a night-watchman state. Self-explanatory

Left-wing: If I had to choose it would be the complete legalization of all drugs full stop. I might have something more left-wing, maybe my support for a rehabilitative approach to criminal justice but that's all I can think of right now. Some of the things I support that could be considered "left-wing" come from a libertine perspective or have a caveat attached (My support for UBI as an replacement for the general welfare state is an big example of this).

Most Right-wing : Education. I believe that we have to be tougher against school bullying and adopt laws that punish bullies at school who not only destroying lifes of others children but also professors, I am in favor of even creating alternative centers for the most problematic kids. The issue with criminal laws is often that if the school bully who harass someone else up to death is below 13 years old it prevents this person from real legal consequences in a lot of legal orders.

Most Left-wing : Society and civil liberties. Because in the US surrogacy is considered as normal while it is not in most european countries. I am in favor of enabling rights as long as those rights do not take on the others ones.

Of course universal healthcare exists in most of european countries outside of the US.

Edited by Edouard

18 hours ago, WVProgressive said:

I support an ethical, controlled reduction of the human population.

I agree that steps need to be taken so the human species can avoid falling victim to the Malthusian trap, but what ethical method is there to reduce the human population? I don’t think such a method exists (unless you mean a reduction of the growth rate of the human population, which I can certainly get behind). 

Most right-wing: Rent control is bad. Ok I’m kind of cheating here, because left-wingers who are more aware of the effects of rent control typically don’t support it, but it’s a buzz word for liberals who think it will solve the affordability crisis, and right-wingers are typically against it as well. Loosening zoning regulations (aka abolishing “exclusionary zoning”) and increasing production of affordable housing (both of which are liberal/progressive policies) are actual, effective ways of addressing the affordability crisis, rather than instituting rent control and plummeting supply (rental housing gets converted to condos or non-residential buildings when landlords can’t charge the market rate) and creating (even more) absentee landlords (see San Francisco and every other American city that has rent control).

Most left-wing: Near-abolition of prisons. The priorities of the justice system are completely upside down, focusing punishing victims, rather than rehabilitation or any sort of restitution for victims. I wouldn’t support a complete abolition of prisons, because I do believe there are people who can’t be rehabilitated and just need to be isolated from society for everyone else’s sake. But if someone isn’t a danger to society, they shouldn’t be locked up behind bars. If someone is a danger to society, but there’s at least hope they could be rehabilitated, then our justice system should focus on that. “‘Prisons Make Us Safer’: And 20 Other Myths about Mass Incarceration” by Victoria Law is a good book that does a much better job at explaining what I’m trying to get at than I ever could (though she talks about complete abolition). 

Oh I just thought of what might be considered a radical centrist take:

Anyone who pays federal income tax should get to vote, if you get a job at 16, if you reenter the workforce after a stint in incarceration, if you're a longtime resident but non-citizen, you should not have the government taking your earnings without any say in what they do with it. I say centrist because to me personally, I have no preference over whether these people get the right to vote or get tax exemptions, I think tax exemptions would be a bit more complicated to do for populations like these, but if that was the easiest way to get this issue ameliorated, that would be fine with me. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Based 1

On 2/2/2023 at 8:25 PM, MrPotatoTed said:

I don't know you of course, so I have no idea if you're a property owner or not...

But as a property owner, what your neighbor does with their property has a HUGE impact on your own property.  If my next door neighbor decides to tear down his house to build a Walmart, that's going to have a huge impact on both the value of my own house and on my day to day living -- neither of which I anticipated when I paid the  "Not next to a Walmart" price for my house.

The property value question is a lot more subjective than generally stated.  I am a property owner and if I were relocating and had the choice between equal 2 properties 1 next to a walmart and one not, I'd choose the one next to Walmart.  Perhaps traffic would be worse, but wouldn't it be much more convenient to walk to walmart to get your groceries than get in a car, spend time driving, pay gas money, and hope your car doesn't get hit in the parking lot by a runaway carriage?  Homeowner's associates also make dubious claims about protecting property values.   I have a neighbor who put solar panels on the front of his house.  He is a MAGA Trumper who believes climate change is a hoax, but for economic reasons thought solar panels would benefit him.  He has a lot of trees in his backyard so the front yard is better for the panels.  The Homeowner's Association claimed it would be an eyesore and hurt property values.  I totally support his right to have panels and if I had a choice of equal properties I'd choose to live in a neighborhood with many solar panels over one that didn't allow any.  In any event, property values haven't seemed to have diminished in our neighborhood since the solar panels were installed.

• Like 1