The Political Lounge

Era of Ideologies: Playtest from 1928

10centjimmy

Welcome to another AMPU Playtest - The Era of Ideologies

The Era of Ideologies marked an international constitutional battle. Who would prevail? Republicanism? Fascism? or Communism? All forms of these governments proliferated as the monarchies of the world collapsed in the 1910s and 1920s. Every form of government seemed to seek a sort of long-lasting strongman to reform government and proliferate their theory of constitutional order. In a way, this era marked a return of the progressive era from its nap in the 1920s. Finance and trade became even more international, making it much more likely that the collapse of one major economy would collapse all major economies. Nationalism is also on the rise and as the population is growing at an expanded rate, the quest for resources and land becomes more and more desirable. War--possibly a World War--seems likely.

1928 begins with the Herbert Hoover and the Republicans (Red Party) absolutely dominating the Al Smith-led Democratic Party (Blue Party) in the Presidential Election, and maintaining a strong hold on statehouses, the Senate, the House, and even the Supreme Court. Will they be able to maintain their dominance? It seems likely with the economic boom of the Roaring Twenties running strong and fearless isolationism keeping the United States out of foreign complications. President Hoover will be looking at a comfortable re-election in 1932 as long as he puts his faith in the invisible hand of the free market and a blind eye towards global affairs. Surely nothing is coming around the corner...

Teams are set, ready to roll!

Edited by 10centjimmy
  • Based 3

2 hours ago, 10centjimmy said:

Welcome to another AMPU Playtest - The Era of Ideologies

The Era of Ideologies marked an international constitutional battle. Who would prevail? Republicanism? Fascism? or Communism? All forms of these governments proliferated as the monarchies of the world collapsed in the 1910s and 1920s. Every form of government seemed to seek a sort of long-lasting strongman to reform government and proliferate their theory of constitutional order. In a way, this era marked a return of the progressive era from its nap in the 1920s. Finance and trade became even more international, making it much more likely that the collapse of one major economy would collapse all major economies. Nationalism is also on the rise and as the population is growing at an expanded rate, the quest for resources and land becomes more and more desirable. War--possibly a World War--seems likely.

1928 begins with the Herbert Hoover and the Republicans (Red Party) absolutely dominating the Al Smith-led Democratic Party (Blue Party) in the Presidential Election, and maintaining a strong hold on statehouses, the Senate, the House, and even the Supreme Court. Will they be able to maintain their dominance? It seems likely with the economic boom of the Roaring Twenties running strong and fearless isolationism keeping the United States out of foreign complications. President Hoover will be looking at a comfortable re-election in 1932 as long as he puts his faith in the invisible hand of the free market and a blind eye towards global affairs. Surely nothing is coming around the corner...

@MrPotatoTed @ebrk85 @jnewt @matthewyoung123 @Largo833

I am in the process of finalizing the roster and looking to have a few more playtesters join. If you are interested, please PM me with your responses to the Forum's Playtest Requirements:

1. Are you a Kickstarter donor for AMPU or have you pre-ordered the game through 270Soft? 

2. Do you consistently engage positively with users in this forum? 

3. Is there a vacancy for a new playtester to join? (There are openings, depending on engagement and qualifications)

4. If you join, can you promise to make a decision or process your moves within a 24-hours of being prompted by the playtest game manager? Keep in mind that some phases can be quite time-consuming. 

5. (Optional) Can you promise to help out the game manager with spreadsheet upkeep?

You have until 12:01AM Sunday, February 12 to share your responses so we can get rolling.  I will work with @vcczarto finalize the roster. 

Only those who have been listed are playing? Is there still room?  I know ted is in all 3 of the games I'm playing and I think eric is in 1 plus gming so if they can do it I can do 4 yay. Let me know 

4 minutes ago, Euri said:

I’m happy to just observe all these playtests for the time being

It's fun to observe them for sure. You get a basic idea of the game. This game is so in-depth and there is excellent detail and thought that has went into it for sure. I can't wait for the PC release!

• Based 1

6 minutes ago, lm1145 said:

It's fun to observe them for sure. You get a basic idea of the game. This game is so in-depth and there is excellent detail and thought that has went into it for sure. I can't wait for the PC release!

Absolutely agree—and also, I’m not eligible for them anyway

Thank you to everyone for your interest, I have set up a waitlist of sorts (or to tap in case I get tired of the 2 CPU teams). Here are the teams!

Blue Team - Democratic Party

BlueLW - @jnewt

Far Left Wing of the Democratic Party, with the Kingfish LWPOP Huey Long of Louisiana and fiery Progressive Senator Burton Wheeler of Montana as potential leaders. 

BlueLeft - @MrPotatoTed

By far the dominant faction of the DNC, mostly on the backs of NY's Governor Franklin Roosevelt and recent failed Presidential candidate Al Smith, will they lead the pack and stand against Hoover and the GOP?

BlueCent - @Umbrella

Led by Cordell Hull and Sam Rayburn, BlueCent will likely try to build on its strength in the House and Senate. However, there might be a shoe salesman from Missouri who could make a stand.

BlueRight - CPU

BlueRight has a young upstart in Richard Russell Jr who could partner with House Minority Leaders John Nance Garner to start a conservative shift in the DNC.

BlueRW - @Largo833

The RWpops and Traditionalists are dominant in this faction, likely to be led by Virginians Governor Harry Byrd Sr and Senator Carter Glass.

Red Team - Republican Party

RedLW - @ShortKing

The far left of the GOP has a collection of progressives and liberals to lead the way, including a young Earl Warren and the prominent Californian Senator Hiram Johnson.

RedLeft - @ebrk85

RedLeft is a Moderate/Liberal faction, with leaders in former candidate and Supreme Court Justice Charles Evans Hughes and current Vice President Charles Curtis.

RedCent - @matthewyoung123

Arguably the strongest faction, with President Hoover at the helm, RedCent includes the esteemed Secretary of State Henry Stimson and an up and coming military leader in Dwight Eisenhower.

RedRight - @lm1145

The Moderates and Conservatives are united in RedRight with former President and current Chief Justice William H. Taft and his son Robert leading the way. RedRight also leans on Senate Majority Leader James E. Watson.

RedRW - CPU

The far right of the GOP is led by Speaker Nicholas Longworht and Senator Arthur Vandenberg. Currently led by Conservatives, could the RWpops take over and bring the GOP with them?

• Based 2

2.1 Faction Realignment

2.1.1 Politician Draft

@jnewt @MrPotatoTed @Umbrella@Largo833 @ShortKing @ebrk85 @matthewyoung123 @lm1145

Please see the "Draft Class" tab on the sheet, and send me a personal message here with your draft strategy. Since this is the first rookie draft, I will randomize draft order once I have received your strategies.  Please have them back to me by 9:00pm Eastern, February 13.  

• Like 3
  • Based 1

I haven't been able to get a copy of the rules, but I assume that I can only draft Moderates or Conservatives without penalty, right?

Also, excited to have Carl Hayden on my team.  He's one of the guys who I wanted to play with and see if I could recreate his career.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Umbrella said:

I haven't been able to get a copy of the rules, but I assume that I can only draft Moderates or Conservatives without penalty, right?

Also, excited to have Carl Hayden on my team.  He's one of the guys who I wanted to play with and see if I could recreate his career.

Send @vcczar your email address, if you haven't yet.  He's the one who can get you access to the files, etc, assuming he's approved you as a playtester.  Thanks!

3 hours ago, 10centjimmy said:

2.1 Faction Realignment

2.1.1 Politician Draft

@jnewt @MrPotatoTed @Umbrella@Largo833 @ShortKing @ebrk85 @matthewyoung123 @lm1145

Please see the "Draft Class" tab on the sheet, and send me a personal message here with your draft strategy. Since this is the first rookie draft, I will randomize draft order once I have received your strategies.  Please have them back to me by 9:00pm Eastern, February 13.  

@10centjimmy Heads up, your inbox is full.  I was still able to submit my draft list by responding to an old conversation between us.  But for those who have no prior conversations with you, they won't be able to send you their draft lists until you delete some old messages.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Umbrella said:

Correct, but there is also a 30% of drafting outside of your ideologies but a failure means a skipped draft choice. 

I sent you a message regarding creating a Gmail account, due to some access issues. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 10centjimmy said:

2.1 Faction Realignment

2.1.1 Politician Draft

I'll message them to you by the deadline tonight.  Thanks!

• Thanks 1

I've noticed something weird in my faction.  I have 20 members listed as openly LBGT.  I think something happened in the Woman column which caused the next column to list incorrectly.

Is it OK for me to change all of these?  Either that, or my faction should be much more progressive.

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Umbrella said:

I've noticed something weird in my faction.  I have 20 members listed as openly LBGT.  I think something happened in the Woman column which caused the next column to list incorrectly.

Is it OK for me to change all of these?  Either that, or my faction should be much more progressive.

Gayest. Faction. Ever.

;c)

• Haha 2
  • Based 2

2 hours ago, Umbrella said:

That's my bad, I'll check with the master to confirm if they were supposed to be another stat! 

1928 Rookie Draft

Blue *I will share the first 3 rounds here*

Round 1

@UmbrellaAdlai Stevenson II, BlueCent

@Largo833 Strom Thurmond, BlueRW

@MrPotatoTed Stuart Symington, PotatoTed (formerly BlueLib)

BlueRight CPU - Robert Kennon

@jnewt Attempts to draft Red (party flip eligible) Wayne Morse and fails - skips turn (BlueLW) (rolled 60 - needed 50 or less)

Round 2

BlueCent - Maxwell D Taylor

BlueRW - Martin Dies Jr.

PotatoTed - Mike Mansfield

BlueRight - John Stennis

BlueLW - Attempts to draft Red (party flip eligible) Wayne Morse and fails, again - skips turn (rolled 79 - needed 50 or less)

Round 3

BlueCent - Brien McMahon

BlueRW -Ezekiel Gathings

PotatoTed- Estes Kefauver

BlueRight - Johnston Murray

BlueLW - Attempts to draft Liberal Richard Daley (rolls 4/100, succeeds!) 

Edited by 10centjimmy
  • Based 1