The Political Lounge

Best/Worst Presidents for Leadership

vcczar

Best/Worst Presidents for Leadership  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following are the greatest presidents for leadership? [Siena top 12 shown below]

2. 2. Which of the following are the worst presidents for leadership? [Siena bottom 12 shown below, from worst to less worse.]

The term "leadership" is kind of vague to me. I can't call anyone a strong leader who is leading a nation on a terrible path. For instance, I think Reagan was CLEARLY a leader. He had charisma, a strong following, and his leadership prevailed even after death. But I think a great leader makes the right decisions and doesn't encourage people to adopt their own flawed, and sometimes inhumane positions. 

I do have an outlier I checked. That's LBJ. I am overlooking Vietnam, and perhaps I'll regret that, but domestically, he's a top 5 leaders. I'm putting more weight on LBJ the domestic president than the foreign affairs president because I think the former influence will persist longer than the latter. 

I'm honestly really surprised George W Bush would even make it to the bottom tier. I would argue the last time this country even saw "true leadership" as I see it was the moments following 9/11. 

6 minutes ago, Pringles said:

I'm honestly really surprised George W Bush would even make it to the bottom tier. I would argue the last time this country even saw "true leadership" as I see it was the moments following 9/11. 

But that's one moment. He also had Katrina, "Mission Accomplished," etc.

3 minutes ago, vcczar said:

But that's one moment. He also had Katrina, "Mission Accomplished," etc.

Yeah what I’m trying to say though is that I don’t think it warrants him to be considered for the bottom tier. I don’t think he should be in either tier. It’s Siena though so… lol. 

Edited by Pringles

I think it's hard not to call Reagan a great leader since he fundamentally reoriented American politics for a generation or more. His influence obviously reshaped the GOP but his impact on driving the Democratic Party closer to his own ideological predispositions is significant. 

• Agree 1
  • Based 1