The Political Lounge

Jimmy Carter in hospice care

pilight

https://apnews.com/article/politics-united-states-government-gerald-ford-ronald-reagan-hospice-care-f4e26c10a7b366f14e62f690da403b0a

The charity created by the 98-year-old former president said on Twitter that after a series of short hospital stays, Carter “decided to spend his remaining time at home with his family and receive hospice care instead of additional medical intervention.”

• Sad 9

8 minutes ago, pilight said:

I hope he somehow miraculously survives this. It's very rare but sometimes people do make it out of hospice alive. I'm about 99.9% sure he won't, however. He needs to make it out and run for president again! Just so he can have a non-consecutive term 40 years later!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Based 1

5 hours ago, vcczar said:

I hope he somehow miraculously survives this. It's very rare but sometimes people do make it out of hospice alive. I'm about 99.9% sure he won't, however. He needs to make it out and run for president again! Just so he can have a non-consecutive term 40 years later!

My great grandmother lived to be 106...but she went from near perfect health to a life of mostly misery starting at age 90.  From that point on, she longed for a death that took another 16 years to arrive.

There's no point to living past 98, and a lot of down side.  He had a good run, it's time to go now.

• Like 1

Here's an interesting fact on Twitter. I don't know if it's true or not because a simple google search didn't confirm it or not, but I didn't go beyond for the first 10 results: The first sitting US Senator to endorse Jimmy Carter's campaign for president in 1976 was Joe Biden. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Here's an interesting fact on Twitter. I don't know if it's true or not because a simple google search didn't confirm it or not, but I didn't go beyond for the first 10 results: The first sitting US Senator to endorse Jimmy Carter's campaign for president in 1976 was Joe Biden. 

I would presume the reason is Pat Cadell, he was a Carter Aide and pollster who was instrumental in his primary victory in 76 but he also helped the young Joe Biden win his senate seat in 72 using much of the same tactics he would advise Carter using 4 years later  "Caddell coached him (Biden)  not to criticize his incumbent opponent—that just made him another politician—but “Washington.” That made him an “anti-politician”—the kind Caddell preferred: candidates who spoke to what he termed the electorate’s “malaise,” and what he began calling in 1974 America’s “crisis of confidence.”

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vcczar said:

Jimmy Carter and Joe Biden:

Very similar presidents IMO. Took office shortly after an administration shook the trust of the public's perception of the American political system, and although they may have good personal integrity, they were absolutely shitty presidents that made terrible decisions. (Slightly biased).

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

Very similar presidents IMO. Took office shortly after an administration shook the trust of the public's perception of the American political system, and although they may have good personal integrity, they were absolutely shitty presidents that made terrible decisions. (Slightly biased).

I think it's too soon to know if his decisions are terrible yet or not. Legislatively, he's been much more successful than Carter was, despite Carter having more members of his party in Congress than Biden ever has. For Democrats, he's been a huge success legislatively and rhetorically. Carter wasn't viewed as such that way. Most inter-party criticism of Biden is due to his age, unclarity of some aspects of foreign policy goals, and--believe it or not--his attempts at bipartisanship with the less radical Republicans.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

I agree to an extent. Though Biden is better than Carter was at this point. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Edouard said:

Biden presidential term is much better for me nowadays than it was 1.5 years ago.

It's starting to become a good term but Ukraine will be a deciding factor.

I think for Americans, Biden's Ukraine policy won't matter one way or the other as it doesn't affect us noticeably. It would if American soldiers were fighting. 

• 8 months later...
On 2/19/2023 at 4:29 PM, DakotaHale said:

Honestly, I am not a big fan of this comparison on the personal integrity aspect, but I get what you are saying. That being said, Jimmy Carter is a good man and the world will be worse off without him.

I thought he has been in hospice for a good six months. I could have sworn that it was his wife that entered hospice over the past week.