The Political Lounge

VCCZAR's 2023 Presidential Preference Ranking

vcczar

My rankings are never consistent because I frequently reevaluate presidents in my mind, but I suppose my ranking is generally about the same. Here's how I rank the presidents by preference. This doesn't take into account success, party leader, and things like that. This has more to do with progressive vision, national leadership, and general appeal for me. 

1. FDR
  2. Lincoln
  3. Th Roosevelt
  4. LBJ
  5. Obama
  6. JQ Adams
  7. Grant
  8. Biden
  9. J Adams
  10. Washington
  11. Clinton
  12. Truman
  13. JFK
  14. Eisenhower
  15. Jefferson
  16. Carter
  17. B Harrison
  18. Taylor
  19. Taft
  20. Garfield
  21. Arthur
  22. Hayes
  23. Wilson
  24. McKinley
  25. Monroe
  26. WH Harrison
  27. Ford
  28. Nixon
  29. GHW Bush
  30. Hoover
  31. Reagan
  32. Fillmore
  33. Harding
  34. Coolidge
  35. Van Buren
  36. Polk
  37. Cleveland
  38. Jackson
  39. Madison
  40. GW Bush
  41. A Johnson
  42. Tyler
  43. Trump
  44. Pierce
  45. Buchanan

2 minutes ago, NCblue1 said:

@vcczarMadison is very low, I'm curious to know why?

I think he was domestically and foreign policy-wise out of his senses until the end of the war. I'm not a fan of the war of 1812 or the invasion of Canada. He saw the need for modernization projects but did nothing because he didn't believe in implied powers, despite clear precedents being set. 

1 hour ago, DakotaHale said:

Why do you like Reagan more than Coolidge? Also what are your thoughts on estimates of JQ Adams having one of the highest IQs of the presidents?

Coolidge was not malleable. Reagan was. He worked with Democrats. He was more conservative rhetorically than in action. He knew who controlled Congress. It would have been unpopular for him to oppose that Congress in the way that's popular in the 21st century. 

I think JQ Adams has clear evidence of intellect. While he wasn't sociable enough and too honest to be a "politician," he seemed to read and understand policy and policy options better than most. A better clue is his range of intellect. He was the best poet of the presidents. The most widely read. Spoke the most languages fluently and learned them quickly. Had a great grasp of philosophy and history. While he was frustrated with making mistakes in chess, he got better at it, although I don't know how great he ultimately become. His foresight is outstanding. Intellectually, he imagined ideas that didn't culminate until the New Deal. Farsighted in abolition. Farsighted in bankruptcy laws. Farsighted in predicting that the Missouri Compromise would lead to Civil War, although in 1820, he expected it to happen before he or Monroe were dead. He could not be manipulated. He saw through people. His greatest flaw politically was not predicting the emergence of new parties and the necessity to act on this, and he had a propensity to say and do what was right, rather than what was politically popular. He and Carter (another high IQ president) share in this latter part. High IQ people as president often lack the connection required of working with the social-political aspect of DC, but as we saw with Trump and Andrew Johnson, so do less intelligent presidents. 

• Based 1