The Political Lounge

Who should have a Nobel Peace Prize?

DakotaHale

Nobel Peace Prize Poll (Some of these people may already have one)  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Should Franklin D. Roosevelt have a Nobel Peace Prize?

2. 2. Should John F. Kennedy have a Nobel Peace Prize?

3. 3. Should Richard Nixon have a Nobel Peace Prize?

4. 4. Should Ronald Reagan have a Nobel Peace Prize?

5. 5. Should Bill Clinton have a Nobel Peace Prize?

6. 6. Should Barack Obama have a Nobel Peace Prize?

7. 7. Should Joe Biden have a Nobel Peace Prize?

• Lean yes
    • Lean no
  8. 8. Should Henry Kissinger have a Nobel Peace Prize?

9. 9. Should the European Union have a Nobel Peace Prize?

10. 10. Should Mikhail Gorbachev have a Nobel Peace Prize?

11. 11. Should J. Robert Oppenheimer have a Nobel Peace Prize?

• Lean yes
    • Lean no

Oppenheimer is a weird one. I lean no, but I would argue that (at the time of this post), nuclear weapons and the doctrine of MAD has saved more lives than they have taken. But that's definitely not guaranteed to always be the case and they very well could kill every human on the planet.

I don't think any presidence since FDR should win the Nobel Peace Prize. In fact, I think only nations that routinely avoid war but give a large % of humanitarian aid to war-stricken countries should even be considers. Exceptions for interceding to prevent genocide. I think the Scandinavian countries + Switzerland + maybe Canada would win frequently, although I know nothing of their humanitarian aid policies. 

I voted for Reagan, Nixon and Gorbachev. Reagan and Gorbachev for the fact that despite me not liking all of their policies, they were absolutely instrumental in bringing down the nuclear arsenal size of both superpowers (and our current arsenal, while big and enough to destroy most of the world), is nowhere near the size it was at the height of the Cold War.

Nixon for his diplomacy, "ending" Vietnam, and the cooldown in tensions with China.

My votes:

JFK - While he did help cause the Cuban Missile Crisis, he does deserve the award (along with Khrushchev) for deescalating and preventing nuclear war, imo.

Nixon - Detente policy and improving relations with China is worthy, imo.

Reagan and Gorbachev - Both played their roles in the end of the Cold War, and while I think Gorbachev is more deserving, Reagan still has his Tear Down That Wall speech to hold him high.

The EU - Honestly this is more subjective, and there's no specific action. But I just feel like the existence of the union has probably helped prevent any potential conflicts between EU nations from getting hot.

JFK - Definitely using hindsight here, but helping to defuse a situation that almost reached mutually assured destruction deserves some credit.

Nixon - Detente, self-explanatory.

Gorbachev - I give more credit to Mikhail than Reagan since he also brought reform to the USSR. He had a vision, it just never happened unfortunately. 

I voted FDR Kennedy Clinton and EU + Gorba.

Quick reason for Bill : NATO stopped a human disaster in Balkans while the EU remained on the fense because France was pro Serbia and Germany pro Bosnia

The EU can be credited for a lot of good things like the creation of a common identity around democracy and the rule of law, but Yougoslavia collapse certainly was the time NATO showed it was usefull.

• Based 1