The Political Lounge

CE2's 1796 announcement thread

23 minutes ago, Mishfox said:

Role play as a slave owner 🤮

roleplay as a early civil rights activist 😎

*Biographer Lynne Withey argues for her conservatism because she: "feared revolution; she valued stability, believed that family and religion were the essential props of social order, and considered inequality a social necessity."*

🤔

• Based 1

Paine will praise Abigail Adams's run, and proposals, but will urge his supporters to back a Boone/Jefferson reelection campaign, due to the fact that a woman president is simply a bridge too far for Americans in the contemporary climate.

21 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

Paine will praise Abigail Adams's run, and proposals, but will urge his supporters to back a Boone/Jefferson reelection campaign, due to the fact that a woman president is simply a bridge too far for Americans in the contemporary climate.

Thomas Paine? More like Benedict Arnold 2.0

2 minutes ago, Mishfox said:

Thomas Paine? More like Benedict Arnold 2.0

We have to be pragmatic about this, if we want to actually see any change get made. If we could wave a magic wand that would abolish slavery, give women the right to vote, and ensure the south doesn't secede, don't you think we would have done so by now?

2 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

We have to be pragmatic about this, if we want to actually see any change get made. If we could wave a magic wand that would abolish slavery, give women the right to vote, and ensure the south doesn't secede, don't you think we would have done so by now?

Fine I won’t abolish slavery just block expanding it. Now will you vote for me and not a pro-slavery?

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Mishfox said:

Abigail Adams declares that if the federalists won’t support her, then she will run for president on a new party instead. Adams announces she will run on the Abolition Party ticket, a new party of pro-abolition politicians.

Unfortunately, Abigail Adams was far more political savvy than you, Mish.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dobs said:

Unfortunately, Abigail Adams was far more political savvy than you, Mish.

Knowing this forum’s bias towards abolitionism (no matter the cost) I could see Abigail still winning 😐

John Jay.

OR, can I meddle in American affairs using King George III?😁

59 minutes ago, Patine said:

Contrary to the portrayal of him as a singular, absolutist Royal tyrant by Thomas Jefferson's propaganda in the Declaration of Independence, George III didn't have much more direct and binding political power in the Kingdom of Great Britain and it's Dominions (and the Kingdoms of Ireland and Hanover in personal union, at the time) than Elizabeth II does today. North Frederick North, the Prime Minister and leader of the Tory Party, Lord Frederick North, with the support of Charles Fox's faction of the Whig Party, passed the, "intolerable acts," rejected the Olive Branch, declared Massachusetts and Virginia in a state of rebellion and prosecuted the war against the "American Colonial Rebellion," until 1780, until a vote of no-confidence over the conduct and losses in the war and the loss of shipping due to the, "Neutral Alliance," in the Baltic defying the British trade embargo. After the snap election that followed, Charles Watson-Wentworth, 2nd Marquess of Rockingham, the leader of the majority Whig Party faction, who had been sympathetic to the colonists' plight from the start, and had tried to achieve an amicable solution (but suffered the curse of the Leader of the Opposition, or Minority Leader, in accomplishing these these things at the time war could have avoided), and had had a correspondence by letters with Benjamin Franklin, became PM and working to wind the war down, move to negotiation, and eventually lead to the Treaty of Paris of 1783. George III dutifully signed every bill passed by both gentlemen without comment or question, just Elizabeth II signs every act of Parliament in the UK today with similar lack of comment or question. It amazes me, that almost 240 years later, so many either still believe the, "George III was an absolute royal tyrant," trope, or even just play upon the idea for cultural levity, but from a ground of seeming and perceived, "fact."

I don't believe George to be a tyrant. To be honest, I tend to be more in favor of the British.

18 hours ago, Mishfox said:

Role play as a slave owner 🤮

If this ever reaches the 1850s, I would consider going with Preston Brooks.😈