The Political Lounge

Ranking My Steam Games

vcczar

I ranked my Steam games in several categories and weighing each category equally, I got this ranking for my top 11 games (out of 50+):

Total
Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIV 990
Crusader Kings III 990
Europa Universalis IV 980
Pentiment 960
Victoria 3 940
The Last Express 940
Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments 940
Uncharted Waters Origin 910
Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper 900
Hearts of Iron IV 890
Orbi Universo 890
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Murrman104 said:

Out of Curiosity why is Rotk XIV your favorite, personally I preferred XIII because i liked playing a person not a faction.

That's because I just rank the most recent in a series. However, the RPG verisons have always been my least favorite RTKs. This might be because I grew up playing RTK2, which was playing as a force. RTK2, sentimentally, is probably my favorite game of all time. I played the hell out of that game. I played RTK1, RTK3, RTK4, RTK6, ...perhaps all but RTK5. I feel like there's another one I hadn't played.. RTK7?. I remember the first RPG version was kind of fun, but I felt like it was also really slow. Tedious tasks to build the character up and etc. I think RTK XIV, especially if you get all the DLC, is the most action packed. My only gripe is that I think warfare in RTK4 was the best and the portraits in RTK6 were the best. I get more replay value playing as a force, rather than as a character. This would change, I think, if the RPG versions were as fleshed out as Crusader Kings III RPGs. 

Ranking mine -- I limited myself to games that I have at least 100 hours in on Steam, though with a caveat that I often don't turn a game off before going to bed, so many of these hours weren't necessarily active game time.  That said, for a game to rack up 100 hours even including sleep, I still had to spend at least a week or so enjoying it.

1. XCOM 2 (988.6 hours):  Part Dungeons & Dragons, part Chess game.. part Civilizations  You lead a team of (mostly) human insurgents fighting back against a successful alien invasion.  I've been playing various XCOM iterations since the very first one back in the 1990s, but this is hands-down the very best one.  The replay value is off the charts.  I've beaten the game multiple times, but always come back for more.  I love games where "anyone can die," and that is XCOM to a "T."

2. Deadstate Reanimated: (536.9 hours): This is the game I always wished existed, and then one day it suddenly did.  You lead a group of human survivors during a zombie apocalypse. Every survivor is their own person with their own name, personality, skills, etc, and (almost) anyone can die.  You can end up with a camp of like 40 named survivors, or get whittled down to just 1-2.  My only critique is this game is just slightly too long.  You need to survive to approximately day 100, and I think I made it to about Day 80 when I was finally at a point where I was ready for the game to end.  

3. Disco Elysium: (112 hours):  This game didn't catch my attention at all on Steam, until I saw literally everybody recommending it on Reddit so I tried it out.  It IMMEDIATELY had me literally laughing out loud, and that continued almost all the way to the end.  (Though it also has emotional depth at parts, which also successfully pulled me in.)  My only critique is that the game mechanics take a while to truly understand, and because I didn't understand that I even had a health bar type thing, I died in a very unusual, non-fatal way.  I hadn't been saving my game so I had to restart at the beginning which negatively impacted the humor, but I still went all the way to the end with it and had a great time.

4. Project Zomboid (369.6 hours):  A top-down zombie survival game on a map of basically the entire state of Kentucky.  You have to find food, water, weapons, shelter, medicine etc -- you can set up a base anywhere and do almost anything you can think of to survive. There's also an endless supply of mods on this one and game settings that let you tweak almost anything.  You will die -- in fact the game opens with "This Is How You Died", but it's possible to survive for years (or minutes, depending on your gameplay and luck).  I've personally survived around 33 days as my record.  Endless replayability on this one.

5. Project Hospital (494.6 hours):  A sim-like game where you build and manage a hospital with multiple departments.  Very challenging, but very fun and detailed. 

6. Rebel Inc Escalation (118 hours): Manage the "exit strategy" of a US-led middle east invasion.  The regime has toppled, but that means that you have to use a mix of force and reconstruction to restabilize the country against the insurgency.  Lots of replay value.

Honorable mention (in no particular order:

Cities Skylines: 121 hours
CK2 2,491 hours
CK3: 246 hours
EU4: 108 hours
Fallout Vegas: 118 hours
Football Coach College Dynasty 116.6 horus
Football Manager 176.5 horus
Front Office Football 716 hours
Rimworld 100.7 hours
Stellaris 283.2 hours
This is the Police 151.5 hours

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Football Coach College Dynasty 116.6 hours

Legitimately one of the best sports games to be released in a minute. Every time I start a new save, I get addicted for 2 weeks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrPotatoTed said:

1. XCOM 2 (988.6 hours):  Part Dungeons & Dragons, part Chess game.. part Civilizations  You lead a team of (mostly) human insurgents fighting back against a successful alien invasion.  I've been playing various XCOM iterations since the very first one back in the 1990s, but this is hands-down the very best one.  The replay value is off the charts.  I've beaten the game multiple times, but always come back for more.  I love games where "anyone can die," and that is XCOM to a "T."

XCOM, all of them that is, are great. I remember trying the original XCOM: UFO Defense and boy, something about that game scared the shit out of me when I was... 12? Maybe 13 or 14. I can't remember when I last played. I played a lot more of Enemy Unknown though compared to the others. Played a good chunk of 2 and tried out Chimera Squad. Just have too many games and never got around to finishing them. 😕 

• Like 1

I join the cool @vcczar game

The Political Process 95/100 for a 12 dollars game I played above 700h what I think sad is the demographic evolution, if they had it it would create several hundreds of playthrough

CK3 95/100 contrary to what people think it's equivalent to CK2 and somewhat better for anyone who plays RPG, the issue is that after 350h I did make a turn of what I wanted to do

Hearts of Irons 90/100 not a bad game but a difficult one when you are not playing USA/Germany or the Soviet Union, the mod End of a New Beginning was a greater game actually

I played like from 1857 to 1892 to the end of a new beginning with France, and because they actually implement that manpower losses matter unlike in HOI4 where you can lose 12 millions people in a war and that's okay I won the Franco-Prussian war because I played a defensive war in which I let germans lose 600 000 men which did cripple their military in the mod unlike it would have been in HOI4

The issue with this mod is that it hadn't planned an alternative history so the mod is quickly boring to play after 20 years that's the issue, but it was a more ambitious and realistic game than HOI4

Victoria 3 85/100 Not that bad but quite basic

The Guild 1 95/100 : My childhood game, I loved playing to it and I still play to it while the game has 21 years

The Guild 2 85/100 : It has not the charm of the 1st game for me

Assassin's Creed Odyssey : 100/100 : MALAKA, great writing, great game, I am not very fond of the Greek peloponesian era but they made me play 120+h to this and I played it till the end I even bought DLCs to continue

Fallout 4 : 90/100 Good game just not very detailed on factions

Fallout New Vegas 95/100 : Great game even for 2020 they need a remake.

6 minutes ago, Edouard said:

The Guild 1 95/100 : My childhood game, I loved playing to it and I still play to it while the game has 21 years

The Guild 2 85/100 : It has not the charm of the 1st game for me

I've played Guild 2 more than Guild 1. I have Guild 3 but tried it only once. Why do you think Guild 2 is better than Guild 1?

• Like 1

Guild 1 better than Guild 2 you mean !

I love the athmosphere of Europa 1400 the medieval age merchants, it has this haunting music 

I still have the soundtracks in mind

There were many more offices to go into politic

With the 3 basic spies / guards / town servant offices

Then the mayoral / church ones

Then the sovereign

You had to jump through 9 to 10 offices to get to sovereign and move through 3 different councils at least

Compared to the massive reduction of offices in the Guild 2

Let's Play The Guild 2: Renaissance Part 52 - Mystery Court, Applying for  Highest Office - YouTube

They improved graphics but lost a part of the lore in my opinion

The scenes were darker, more realistic in the 1st than in the second

The player was less taken as a child than in the next game.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Based on some of these lists, I think a lot of you would like Suzerain.  I'll admit I haven't got too far in it, but it's a game where you become a ruler of a fictional country based on pre WW2 Eastern Europe.  It's a role playing game, where you control things like the economy, foreign relations, etc.  You also meet various powerful characters around your country, like media moguls, prominent businessmen, and so on.  Your relationships and decisions with them can affect how things work.

You can try and run your country as a ruthless dictator, or a benevolent progressive leader, or anything in between.  It's surprisingly deep.

• Like 1
  • Based 1

5 minutes ago, Umbrella said:

Based on some of these lists, I think a lot of you would like Suzerain.  I'll admit I haven't got too far in it, but it's a game where you become a ruler of a fictional country based on pre WW2 Eastern Europe.  It's a role playing game, where you control things like the economy, foreign relations, etc.  You also meet various powerful characters around your country, like media moguls, prominent businessmen, and so on.  Your relationships and decisions with them can affect how things work.

You can try and run your country as a ruthless dictator, or a benevolent progressive leader, or anything in between.  It's surprisingly deep.

I did like it, but I stopped playing it because it was kind of slow. When I was younger, I would have liked it a lot. I've gotten more impatient as I've aged.