Jump to content
The Political Lounge

What's your natural sleep cycle?


vcczar
 Share

What's your natural sleep cycle?   

15 members have voted

  1. 1. Assume you are independently wealthy, don't have to work, don't have responsibilities, and you live by yourself. You live your life for yourself and how you want to. What is your natural sleep cycle? Choose all that apply:

    • I would generally wake up early in the morning, at 2am to 7am
    • I would generally wake up later morning, 7am to noon.
    • I would generally wake up early evening, noon to 4pm.
    • I would generally wake up late evening, 4pm to 8pm
      0
    • I would generally wake up at night, 9pm-2am
      0
    • I would go to bed in the early morning
    • I would go to bed in the late morning
    • I would go to bed in the early evening
      0
    • I would go to bed in the late evening
    • I would go to bed at night
    • My sleep schedule would be totally random each day
    • My sleep schedule would be odd in that I would sleep in installments of time and never really sleep for several hours at a time.
    • I would sleep 7 to 9 hours a day
    • I would sleep over 9 hours a day
    • I would sleep less than 7 hours a day


Recommended Posts

I forgot to make it multiple choice, so I had to put in my answers manually so my name doesn't pop up but the number is there. 

1. I'd wake up around 4pm. 

2. I'd go to sleep about 11am.

3. I'd sleep less than 7 hours.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Rezi said:

Probably a sleep schedule of like 3-11 or 4-12 on average. I treasure the aura of night time, and don’t like actually doing anything outside until after 3, when the sun isn’t nearly as killer.

When I was undergrad, I would stay up until 5am to 7am, and sleep, even if I had a 9am class. I would sometimes sleep in the day to catch up on sleep. I was definitely nocturnal. 

Grad school was easier because my classes were at night. I would stay up until about 9am to noon, and then sleep until about 5pm or 6pm. I'd have class from 6:30pm-9:15pm, and then I'd stay up all night with friends or in study. 

In NYC, I'd frequently stay up until 3am to 7am, even if I worked at 9am. When I was jobless, I was completely nocturnal. I didn't start sleeping a normal schedule with 7 or 8 hours of sleep until 2013, when I was 34. 

I think I averaged 4 hours of sleep from age 8 until 34. I occasionally went without sleep. I once went three days without sleep. I was just always working on projects. No drugs except for coffee. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm an insomniac. If I ever have an extended period of time off, where I have no need to wake up in the morning, my sleep schedule will be extremely odd. I'd stay up for about two days at a time, then sleep 12-15 hours. Luckily having school and other responsibilities most of the time means I don't often fall into this unhealthy sleep schedule.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I usually go to bed around 1:30 AM and wake up by 6 AM.  Partially because of work and being a dad, but I'm that way even on the rare day when I have no work or parenting to do.  That's just my natural cycle now.

Left completely to my own devices, I might try to sneak an hour-long power nap in the middle of the day in my recliner.  I've never been able to sleep in bed during the day, that's a completely foreign concept to me.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I usually go to bed around 1:30 AM and wake up by 6 AM.  Partially because of work and being a dad, but I'm that way even on the rare day when I have no work or parenting to do.  That's just my natural cycle now.

Left completely to my own devices, I might try to sneak an hour-long power nap in the middle of the day in my recliner.  I've never been able to sleep in bed during the day, that's a completely foreign concept to me.

 

I can't take naps unless I'm sick or physically worn out. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

I can't take naps unless I'm sick or physically worn out. 

I can’t because my daughter would take it as an invitation to jump on me elbows and knees first. Ha.  But in the rare moments when she’s off with a grandparent or something, I pass out the second I sit in my chair.  8 years of sleep deprivation is starting to add up. ;c)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will probably start sleeping 6-7 hours when I retire in 14ish years. Until then I try not to do more than 5 or 6 a night (I usually go to bed at 12 and wake up at 4:30 every day). I don't feel groggy and I don't feel like my productivity or more importantly, testosterone is impacted by my sleep schedule in exchange for a couple extra hours in the day.

(Also the app is called Sleep Cycle, which is one of my favorite and most essential apps I have. It has a neat feature where it wakes you up slowly over the course of 30 minutes instead of waking you up instantly with a blaring alarm like most apps.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

I will probably start sleeping 6-7 hours when I retire in 14ish years. Until then I try not to do more than 5 or 6 a night (I usually go to bed at 12 and wake up at 4:30 every day). I don't feel groggy and I don't feel like my productivity or more importantly, testosterone is impacted by my sleep schedule in exchange for a couple extra hours in the day.

All that dogecoin investing paying off so you can retire in 14 years eh? 😛 

That sounds awesome. I'm very fortunate to have invested in dogecoin with my dad when it was doing real good lol. It's gonna help me be as debt free as possible. 😄 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Pringles said:

All that dogecoin investing paying off so you can retire in 14 years eh? 😛 

That sounds awesome. I'm very fortunate to have invested in dogecoin with my dad when it was doing real good lol. It's gonna help me be as debt free as possible. 😄 

I'm actually not the biggest fan of Dogecoin honestly. That being said I put $1k into it when it was less than a cent (put paper hands'd it at 4 cents). Rebought at 27 cents to play the SNL hype and sold at $0.69

My best play of the year though was buying Bitcoin at $17k, selling at $42,069, and putting it all on Ethereum which went on a crazy bull run (bought more when it dipped 40% last week, which recovered nicely.)

My best play of all time was sinking the majority of my savings into Tesla in 2019 and holding it (still holding most of those shares). That's where the majority of my net worth comes from (worth more than the total income I've ever made from every job I've ever worked combined).

Good to see more young people investing though. I'm trying to get as many young people as I can into financial security and investing (and also cigars and private charity, but that's a secondary goal). If you want to make me proud then consider opening up a Roth IRA. Best financial instrument there is. You can max it out at $6k in contributions a year and when you withdraw from it it is 100% tax-free. $6k invested every year for 40 years with 8% return becomes slightly over $2M in 40 years. Max out your Roth first and then put everything else you can save in your taxable.

If your biggest financial goal is financial independence and freedom from debt then consider staying away from the risky stuff and investing in VTI (the entire US stock market on average, cap-weighted), and VXUS (the entire foreign stock market on average, minus the US, cap-weighted) at a 1:1 ratio. 90% of people who pick stocks end up getting less returns than the market on average. Sometimes instead of choosing the winning horse it's better to own all of the horses altogether. Just my two cents, obviously you see I don't follow my own advice (except with my IRA which is 100% VTI/VXUS; I do the risky stuff in my taxable so I can claim losses) so take it with a grain of salt lmao.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

I'm actually not the biggest fan of Dogecoin honestly. That being said I put $1k into it when it was less than a cent (put paper hands'd it at 4 cents). Rebought at 27 cents to play the SNL hype and sold at $0.69

My best play of the year though was buying Bitcoin at $17k, selling at $42,069, and putting it all on Ethereum which went on a crazy bull run (bought more when it dipped 40% last week, which recovered nicely.)

My best play of all time was sinking the majority of my savings into Tesla in 2019 and holding it (still holding most of those shares). That's where the majority of my net worth comes from (worth more than the total income I've ever made from every job I've ever worked combined).

Good to see more young people investing though. I'm trying to get as many young people as I can into financial security and investing (and also cigars and private charity, but that's a secondary goal). If you want to make me proud then consider opening up a Roth IRA. Best financial instrument there is. You can max it out at $6k in contributions a year and when you withdraw from it it is 100% tax-free. $6k invested every year for 40 years with 8% return becomes slightly over $2M in 40 years. Max out your Roth first and then put everything else you can save in your taxable.

If your biggest financial goal is financial independence and freedom from debt then consider staying away from the risky stuff and investing in VTI (the entire US stock market on average, cap-weighted), and VXUS (the entire foreign stock market on average, minus the US, cap-weighted) at a 1:1 ratio. 90% of people who pick stocks end up getting less returns than the market on average. Sometimes instead of choosing the winning horse it's better to own all of the horses altogether. Just my two cents, obviously you see I don't follow my own advice (except with my IRA which is 100% VTI/VXUS; I do the risky stuff in my taxable so I can claim losses) so take it with a grain of salt lmao.

That's what I hear from the more... experienced investors than me. Although I was raised on learning how to do investing in it's most basic form. I bought doge when it was completely worthless during the "buildup" if you want to call it that, to the memes to come on it. Struggled a bit cashing out the first time but my father and I combined made a large, satisfiable profit and now, meh, there's just no point in investing into it anymore because as you said, it's risky and I think it's just gonna die down even more, as it already has. I've walked away with the money I need for now though so I'm satisified. Roth IRA sounds very interesting, I'll look into it! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...