The Political Lounge

Your Favorite School Subjects

vcczar

Your Favorite School Subjects  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Your Favorite School Subjects (Ideally, in college, but if you never went to college, then use high school)

• Business or Marketing
    • Criminal Justice or forensic science
    • Healthcare, Medical, Dental, Pharmacy, or Anatomy
    • Physical education
    • Law
    • Music
    • Psychology or counseling
    • Computer Science or game design
    • Agriculture
    • Anthropology or Archeology
    • History or political science
    • Geography
    • Environmental science or Earth Sciences
    • English, Literature, Creative Writing
    • Foreign Languages
    • International Studies
    • Art
    • Theatre
    • Religious Studies
    • Philosophy and Logic
    • Engineering
    • Mathematics or statistics
    • Biology, Chemistry, Physics
    • Astronomy
    • Communications, Public Speaking
    • Cybersecurity
    • Design and Fashion
    • Economics, Finance, Accounting
    • Education
    • Gender studies, racial studies, ethnic studies, identity studies, etc.
    • Information Technology
    • Sociology or social work
    • Other (mention below)

I was a theater major on the first go (dropped out, eventually returned to get an Associates in Public Affairs, a Bachelors in Corporate Communications, and will finish my Masters in Public Relations, Marketing, and Social Media later this year).

But theater was first and is something I still love doing more than 20 years later, so my "other" is theater.

Edited by MrPotatoTed
  • Like 2
  • Based 1

12 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I was a theater major on the first go (dropped out, eventually returned to get an Associates in Public Affairs, a Bachelors in Corporate Communications, and will finish my Masters in Public Relations, Marketing, and Social Media later this year).

But theater was first and is something I still love doing more than 20 years later, so my "other" is theater.

I have theatre in there. I had you in mind. It's between art and religious studies

I tried to only pick the ones that were due to my innate like of the subject as opposed to a few I had really good teachers/professors for, but if we included that there'd be a few more.  I've had many interesting classes in undergrad outside my wheelhouse that were mostly due to having a good professor rather than any inherent interesting in the subject, and some in high school tool.

As someone that started in STEM before switching to polisci, I'd recommend maybe splitting chem from physics.  True, together they are the traditional hard sciences, but they are like opposites in some ways.  I did like both, though.  I actually got a 110% in Sophomore level college physics because everyone else in the class was bringing the curve down that hard.

• Like 1

I of course have 2 degrees in law so this is my favourite domain but History and Political Science is also a very great thing

I did like Philosophy but it's not always taught objectively

I did appreciate Sociological studies aswell in university and Education but Education is also a field of a lot of "ideological controversies" even if the topic really interest me.

The problem with History studies is that you don't have a lot of jobs for it that's why I opted for Laws over History and Political Sciences aswell.

Edited by Edouard
  • Like 1

Honestly I liked Philosophy because when I was on student government, as my club ambassadorship I went to the Philosophy Club meetings where basically all we did was eat pizza (because in their own words, what else is philosophy club going to spend their dues on) and have conversations that'd be really great while high.

4 hours ago, OrangeP47 said:

As someone that started in STEM before switching to polisci, I'd recommend maybe splitting chem from physics.  True, together they are the traditional hard sciences, but they are like opposites in some ways.  I did like both, though.  I actually got a 110% in Sophomore level college physics because everyone else in the class was bringing the curve down that hard.

Totally agree.  I'm an engineer, and I loved physics, was kinda meh on chemistry, and hate biology with a passion.

Also, the majority of scholarship offers I received initially were music, so I was sad to see I'm the only vote so far.  But I also realized that the starving musician stereotype is there for a reason, so ended up going in a different direction.  

Still in high school and plan to go to college to major in computer science and applied mathematics. I have always loved math and strive to use it as a tool to better understand the world and humans. I did want to originally major in law or political science but prefer to keep them as knowledge that I know.

2 hours ago, DakotaHale said:

I missed public speaking. Speech class was the favorite class I’ve ever taken. 

Same man. Had a lot of fun in it. I’m a lean introvert but I manage to put off a good show when it comes to public speaking. Got an A in the class so I mean, guess I did something right lol. 

53 minutes ago, Umbrella said:

Totally agree.  I'm an engineer, and I loved physics, was kinda meh on chemistry, and hate biology with a passion.

Also, the majority of scholarship offers I received initially were music, so I was sad to see I'm the only vote so far.  But I also realized that the starving musician stereotype is there for a reason, so ended up going in a different direction.  

I did have some good music teachers, it was one I was referring to in there, including having a class that was a "history of music" class that was great, even if the class session where we went to a live concert was interrupted by a tornado.

• Haha 2

I like how most of us, if not all love History and political science. I originally was majoring in political science but I switched my major to CIS (Computer Information Systems), a branch of IT. History, politics, and technology are the three things I consider myself “good” at. I’ve built countless computers and know plenty of things about software. Probably going to take an actual course in ethical hacking soon. 

I love politics but the recent environment in America just pushes me away from it. Not something I’d want to be involved in like that, unless I’m a political consultant/data scientist, quiet position. I always wanted to be a history teacher or professor when I was a kid but the pay is just… eh. I’m more concerned with a job that will make me a lot of money so I have a stable future. And I don’t really want to go to school for 8 years consistently and have mountains of debt. So here I am. I’d consider going back to school at some point in the future… wouldn’t mind eventually getting involved in politics or teaching history. Just not something I’m considering in the short term at the moment. 

2 minutes ago, Pringles said:

I like how most of us, if not all love History and political science. I originally was majoring in political science but I switched my major to CIS (Computer Information Systems), a branch of IT. History, politics, and technology are the three things I consider myself “good” at. I’ve built countless computers and know plenty of things about software. Probably going to take an actual course in ethical hacking soon. 

I love politics but the recent environment in America just pushes me away from it. Not something I’d want to be involved in like that, unless I’m a political consultant/data scientist, quiet position. I always wanted to be a history teacher or professor when I was a kid but the pay is just… eh. I’m more concerned with a job that will make me a lot of money so I have a stable future. And I don’t really want to go to school for 8 years consistently and have mountains of debt. So here I am. I’d consider going back to school at some point in the future… wouldn’t mind eventually getting involved in politics or teaching history. Just not something I’m considering in the short term at the moment. 

I mean I have a masters in polisci with a statistical focus, and I graduated with that in 2015.  I have not worked in the field, not because it's hard to find a job (the stats focus means it'd be pretty easy to pick something up), or because I can't, but because I kinda don't want to touch politics in my professional life, at least that's part of the reason.  I know, kind of hard to believe considering how loud and obnoxious I am online.

2 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

I mean I have a masters in polisci with a statistical focus, and I graduated with that in 2015.  I have not worked in the field, not because it's hard to find a job (the stats focus means it'd be pretty easy to pick something up), or because I can't, but because I kinda don't want to touch politics in my professional life, at least that's part of the reason.  I know, kind of hard to believe considering how loud and obnoxious I am online.

Obviously not asking you to reveal where you live but id say it’s considerably more difficult to find a job in my area compared to elsewhere. Especially one that pays well. 

2 minutes ago, Pringles said:

Obviously not asking you to reveal where you live but id say it’s considerably more difficult to find a job in my area compared to elsewhere. Especially one that pays well. 

Related to politics that is. Other areas are plentiful. 

Just now, Pringles said:

I'm in Illinois.  There's lots of ways to leverage my sort of degree into a data analytics job in Springfield or Chicago, or get picked up by a Campaign.  I mean, it also depends on what you *mind* doing.  Again, to be more specific, circa 2015 2016 all the job openings, of which there were many, were with Republicans to be blunt, and I wasn't interested in that.  Conversely, I'm native to downstate, so if I did pick a dem job close to home, it'd be one of the vanity project campaigns not an actual good campaign unless I moved up North, and until recently medical issues were preventing me from moving.  Moving to Chicago from here is not entirely unrealistic, though, and I may very well do so eventually... except now I have a very good paying job just in a different field...

3 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

so if I did pick a dem job close to home, it'd be one of the vanity project campaigns not an actual good campaign unless I moved up North

Conversely though with this I do have friends that have technically been a "campaign manager" for a US House campaign and leveraged it into something bigger later on, I just didn't have the patience for that.

1 minute ago, OrangeP47 said:

I'm in Illinois.  There's lots of ways to leverage my sort of degree into a data analytics job in Springfield or Chicago, or get picked up by a Campaign.  I mean, it also depends on what you *mind* doing.  Again, to be more specific, circa 2015 2016 all the job openings, of which there were many, were with Republicans to be blunt, and I wasn't interested in that.  Conversely, I'm native to downstate, so if I did pick a dem job close to home, it'd be one of the vanity project campaigns not an actual good campaign unless I moved up North, and until recently medical issues were preventing me from moving.  Moving to Chicago from here is not entirely unrealistic, though, and I may very well do so eventually... except now I have a very good paying job just in a different field...

Nice. I’m in South Carolina you see, upstate to be exact. It’s very dominated by Republicans, and while I am a Republican… I simply have no desire to pander to Donald Trump and his MAGAtards. Asides from that’s it a dominated by the GOP area, while I’m happy to volunteer when the time arises, I’m not necessarily looking to work unless the political atmosphere in general changes. Or if there’s more down-low jobs like I said earlier. Wouldn’t mind working for the state government or even the federal government as well. It’s just a matter of what opportunities come my way really.

Also not too big on the idea of moving too far away, though anywhere in SC is fine really. I can work elsewhere as long as I have a home here lol. 

1 minute ago, Pringles said:

Nice. I’m in South Carolina you see, upstate to be exact. It’s very dominated by Republicans, and while I am a Republican… I simply have no desire to pander to Donald Trump and his MAGAtards. Asides from that’s it a dominated by the GOP area, while I’m happy to volunteer when the time arises, I’m not necessarily looking to work unless the political atmosphere in general changes. Or if there’s more down-low jobs like I said earlier. Wouldn’t mind working for the state government or even the federal government as well. It’s just a matter of what opportunities come my way really.

Also not too big on the idea of moving too far away, though anywhere in SC is fine really. I can work elsewhere as long as I have a home here lol. 

Oh yeah, that angle.  I'm close to Springfield and took the civil service exam a few times and did very well... but the last time I did that was literally the week covid hit... and well... that's a bit of unforeseen circumstances.  In the time between then and now I've gotten a pretty cushy private sector job.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OrangeP47 said:

Oh yeah, that angle.  I'm close to Springfield and took the civil service exam a few times and did very well... but the last time I did that was literally the week covid hit... and well... that's a bit of unforeseen circumstances.  In the time between then and now I've gotten a pretty cushy private sector job.

Glad things worked out for you! I don’t blame you for sticking with your private sector job for now. Financial stability is great. 😄 

• Like 1