The Political Lounge

1868: The Gilded Age Playtest

Key advisor exists at all times.

Each position must be created by either a Congressional legislative proposal signed into law, or by Executive Action.  The only exception is Key Advisor, which can always exist and does not require Congressional approval.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Cal said:

What a stacked list of names for one faction. Arthur, Garfield, Wade, Fremont, and Sherman all in one faction? Nice. I don't recall Adams Sr, Hamelin, or Chandler though.

Hamelin was vp for Lincoln in his first term, Adams was uk minister in civil war and son of John Q Adam's, Zach Chandler was  senator and sec of interior for grant 

2 minutes ago, Umbrella said:

Key advisor exists at all times.

Each position must be created by either a Congressional legislative proposal signed into law, or by Executive Action.  The only exception is Key Advisor, which can always exist and does not require Congressional approval.

See keep me honest guys there are so many rules I may need reminding on occassion 

36 minutes ago, Bushwa777 said:

However ich do I have to do this rule?

Not necessarily right now.

You're setting up right after an election so unless the meters meet the criteria for it, then you do not have to run the election with that rule next time.

Edited by Ich_bin_Tyler
  • Based 1

6 minutes ago, Euri said:

Is Pierce actually eligible for reelection? I was deprived of Gilded Age Pierce in the 1840 playtest

Unfortunately I have been told no but I can have him as a senior advisor if he keeps living and doesn’t decide he wants to retire any further or go and do some other fun stuff.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, EYates said:

@Bushwa777 other than Pierce and Hendricks do I have any other quirky/interesting people?

Many.  Fernando wood who was mayor of New York during civil war, james roosevelt I who was papa of fdr, francis p blair who was a senator and congressman and I think ran for vp, George dewey who was head of navy in 1900.  You also have Joseph Johnston, John bell hood, and w.h.f.lee but until reconstruction ends or a pardon is passed they cannot do much

4 minutes ago, Bushwa777 said:

Many.  Fernando wood who was mayor of New York during civil war, james roosevelt I who was papa of fdr, francis p blair who was a senator and congressman and I think ran for vp, George dewey who was head of navy in 1900.  You also have Joseph Johnston, John bell hood, and w.h.f.lee but until reconstruction ends or a pardon is passed they cannot do much

Thank you

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bushwa777 said:

Dewey was actually the highest-ranking naval officer in US history, the only person with a rank equivalent to a five-star admiral. He tried to be the Democratic nominee in 1900 but was misspoke at every opportunity and eventually endorsed Republican President McKinley.

• Based 1

7 minutes ago, DJBillyShakes said:

Dewey was actually the highest-ranking naval officer in US history, the only person with a rank equivalent to a five-star admiral. He tried to be the Democratic nominee in 1900 but was misspoke at every opportunity and eventually endorsed Republican President McKinley.

Depending on what his stats are he could be more useful in the political arena if I can guide him properly

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bushwa777 said:

See keep me honest guys there are so many rules I may need reminding on occassion 

So if you have a strong key advisor, in theory you could start the game out in 1776 and purposedly make the cabinet only the Key Advisor to game the meters.

Edited by pman

5 minutes ago, pman said:

So if you have a strong key advisor, in theory you could start the game out in 1776 and purposedly make the cabinet only the Key Advisor to game the meters.

They can only impact meters that they have the expertise level for, I believe.  So if they don’t have a business/economics/trade background they’re not going to be helping you with the budget or economic stability.

• Agree 1

So Eric and I continue to work on the sheet and i hope to start by later this weekend or early next week.  However we did current ideology and we found 6 of the 10 factions are moderate.   This is not draft ideolgy but current and should change over time but very interesting 

Are you ready to rumble?  

Well we are getting close.  I figure by early next week I can start.  Once the sheet has been finished I will PM each of you with it.  

But before we start I did want to let you know one thing.  Since we are still in Reconstruction the following rule applies: 

Following Civil War victory by the Union, the next legislative session will start with appointing members of the legislature in states that had seceded. The governors in these Reconstructed states will be appointed by the president, but they must be of the party with the majority in Congress. The US Senators in these states will be selected among any faction or party by the faction controlling the Sen Pres Pro Tempore and the US Reps will be selected among any faction or party by the faction controlling the Speaker of the House. The politicians appointed cannot have seceded with their state during the Civil War. 

We do have some Governors already appointed along with a few senators and Congressman.  But where they are not in the following states: Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Arkansas, Mississippi, Texas, and Louisiana, we will go by the above rule.  That means if there are empty spots once the Pre Pro Tempore and the Speaker is chosen those officers will fill the seats.  It also means in the 1870 midterms, unless Reconstruction has been voted on to end in those states, those people will not be running for office but will be appointed when they are up if that all makes sense 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Bushwa777 said:

Booo

I am curious what the thought process was with ending it after 20 years? I know you couldn't have had it gone on forever without major consequences but I do wonder how long it could have lasted.