The Political Lounge

2023 Baseball Thread

Willthescout7

5 minutes ago, mark2 said:

I disagree right here in particular. MLB.TV already just airs the RSNs feed, which is mostly paid for and operated by the RSN. The MLB would have to invest quite a lot in fully replacing RSNs via MLB.TV, which is why I don't think it's happening any time soon. 

I think that's something they want to do though. During Spring Training they aired a fully broadcast Braves game not connected to any RSN. Full graphics, announcing crew, etc. MLB has talked a big game of being able to assume broadcasting duties from Bally Sports, which is likely some spin, but with elements of truth.

Yes there would have to be investment, but doable. I agree that it's not happening soon. Not until the last RSN finally dies at least. But I do think it's the endstate of this. 

At the very least, blackouts will end, even if they are still just restreaming RSN feeds.

If anyone is interested in making a historical roster file for OOTP, let me know. I can supply the members for each team and appoximate strengths. These would be people from world history and not baseball history. I don't have time to make each individual team or player, so someone else would have to volunteer to do this if they have interest. I also only have an outdated OOTP. I do, however, have a file of 1,000 most influential people from history and could create teams based on nationality/ethnicity or teams based off claim to fame--philosopher, artist, general, etc. 

• 4 months later...

I watched my first baseball game since possibly the 1990s. Shohei Ohtani is insanely good. I never got to see him hit the ball. They walked him, but I saw him steal back-to-back bases. I've been keeping up with his stats. I think I can name only 10 baseball players.

In the late 1980s and early 1990s I could name the starters on every team. I stopped watching when the strike happened in the mid-1990s. I only watch NFL football now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I watched my first baseball game since possibly the 1990s. Shohei Ohtani is insanely good. I never got to see him hit the ball. They walked him, but I saw him steal back-to-back bases. I've been keeping up with his stats. I think I can name only 10 baseball players.

In the late 1980s and early 1990s I could name the starters on every team. I stopped watching when the strike happened in the mid-1990s. I only watch NFL football now.

I'm never going to have kids, let alone grandkids, but I think the sole "this is a story I'd tell my grandkids" moment I have is when Ohtani faced Trout in in the WBC, and it's not like I was there, I watched it on TV.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I've always been a big baseball fan.

Wife asked me the other day how many stadiums I've been to to watch games.  I had to think.

My answer was 7.  Three in Atlanta (Fulton County Stadium- torn down in 1995, Turner Field, and now Truist Park), Dodger Stadium, both parks in Chicago, and Citi Field in NY.

• Based 1

Just now, OrangeP47 said:

I'm never going to have kids, let alone grandkids, but I think the sole "this is a story I'd tell my grandkids" moment I have is when Ohtani faced Trout in in the WBC, and it's not like I was there, I watched it on TV.

Same.  Cool moment.  Wish Trout had hit a bomb off of him, but Ohtani is SOOOO good.

5 minutes ago, matthewyoung123 said:

I've always been a big baseball fan.

Wife asked me the other day how many stadiums I've been to to watch games.  I had to think.

My answer was 7.  Three in Atlanta (Fulton County Stadium- torn down in 1995, Turner Field, and now Truist Park), Dodger Stadium, both parks in Chicago, and Citi Field in NY.

I've been to three. Ballpark in Arlington (Texas Rangers), whatever the stadium was before that stadium (Texas Rangers), and the Kansas City Royals stadium (c. 2000). I've seen the Phillies, Yankess, and Mets stadiums from the street. I've been to a Boston a lot but I haven't seen Fenway. 

I have tickets for tomorrow night's Phillies game. Tonight's was rained out and they just announced my game has been turned into a single admission double header.  So I'm getting 2 games for the price of 1! And also a long day and night at the ballpark lol.

• Based 2

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

I've been to three. Ballpark in Arlington (Texas Rangers), whatever the stadium was before that stadium (Texas Rangers), and the Kansas City Royals stadium (c. 2000). I've seen the Phillies, Yankess, and Mets stadiums from the street. I've been to a Boston a lot but I haven't seen Fenway. 

Though just had the thought too, if we're talking about driving past stadiums, for the first two decades of my life I'd go past Busch Stadium probably at least 4 times a year on the way to visit family, but I mean, that's just because it has great location.

I always have to think about many parks I've been to too, but mainly because there's a lot: Fenway (Boston), (old) Yankee Stadium (New York), Rogers Centre (Toronto), Camden Yards (Baltimore), Citi Field (New York), Wrigley Field (Chicago), Busch Stadium (St. Louis), Miller Park or whatever it's called now in Milwaukee, and PNC Park (Pittsburgh). I've also been to at least 13 minor league stadiums (Worcester, Pawtucket, Portland ME, Hartford, Indianapolis, Lowell, Troy NY, Norwich CT, Manchester NH, Salt Lake City, Burlington VT, Binghamton NY, and Syracuse).

Essentially, if I'm away from home and there's a baseball stadium nearby, I'll make it there before I head back.

• Like 2
  • Based 1