Popular Post 10centjimmy Posted April 2 Popular Post Share Posted April 2 Impeachment Currently the rules on impeachment (3.05) exist but certain points are unclear. Specific concerns around requirements for being impeached, the House Judicial committee actions (qualifying offenses), player agency and CPU actions, and circumstances for non-Presidential statesmen. It seems that impeachment trials have not been a regular event across the various human-run playtests, so we haven't had a proper chance to review these rules. Background/Why are we talking about this? This issue popped up in Ideologies Playtest due to a General Event, "Improper SC Justice," and as actions regarding General Events fire automatically, we immediately dove into an impeachment trial process (prior to the Scripted Events phase). The rules behind the General Event called for an impeachment trial for a justice with "controversial" or Judicial less than 3. As no justices currently have "controversial," I rolled for the remaining justices who had less than 3 Judicial, and landed on Justice Sanford (2 Judicial, no controversial). Justice Sanford, by luck of the draw, dives into an impeachment trial, skipping the "Special Committee" outlined in 2.2.2. This is where the rules get wonky. 3.05 explicitly requires a politician with "controversial" to become impeached. It then starts with the House Judicial Committee, with every member of the committee picking a "qualifying offense" for the statesman. The rule then states that if no qualifying offenses qualify, then the member doesn't pick one. There is a list of 13 "qualifying offenses." In the case of the Ideologies playtest, the House Judicial Committee has 25 unique members, including the chair and ranking minority member. If each member rolls for an article, there's 25 articles of impeachment. This seems excessive, and unlikely. Also, it is unclear what a "qualifying offense" exactly is or why each member has the opportunity to suggest one (out of 13). The whole house then takes on the vote for impeachment, with reps with integrity required to vote impeachment on statesmen with "controversial". There's a potential "ironfist" and "leadership" speaker roll to control their party. And another that allows same-party converts to vote for impeachment if the statesman on trial has both "unlikable" and "controversial." Then typical vote conversion rules for the House are followed. If it passes the house with simple majority the statesman is impeached and the trial begins in the Senate to determine if they're convicted. I won't recite the rest of the rules because I wanted to share my opinion on a new path for impeachment. Proposed Updates to Impeachment 1. In the event a General Event or Scripted Event calls for an immediate "Impeachment Trial," we instead follow the process in 2.2.2 and the creation of a Special Committee to investigate the relevant office/office-holder. The timeline is slightly odd, as 2.4 takes place after 2.2, and is the Special Committee enacted/appointed/processed immediately or in 2.6? I would argue that if the general/scripted event fires, the committee is immediately built, votes to investigate the various officeholders and determines if there were impeachable offenses, and the impeachment process begins/ends prior to 2.5. (<- this would require a review of the General and Scripted Events to shift the language to allow immediate creation of a committee in the House in line with 2.2.2) 2. In a General Event/Scripted Event that calls for an "Impeachment Trial" requires a office-holder with "Controversial," and none exist, the event should randomly award the "controversial" trait to a relevant office-holder and either proceed with the Special Committee process, or skip it completely as it was the first time that office-holder received the trait. 3. Jumping to 3.05. If the Special Committee rules that an office-holder rolled "impeachable" or "at-fault" (see 2.2.2 to understand what those mean), then we proceed to the "Impeachment Trial." At this point, we know the office-holder on trial has controversial at least (because that's the only way they would've rolled an "impeachable" or "at-fault" offense). The Special Committee is dissolved, and the House Judicial Committee takes over (this is in line with existing rules). Rather than every committee member rolling a dice for "qualifying offenses," the Articles of Impeachment can be built like this: a. Judicial Chair can select (1) of the (13) existing articles; however, if they have "Leadership," they can select an additional (1) making the total (2); with "Lawful," they can select an additional (1); with "Integrity," they can select an additional (2), meaning if the Chair has "Leadership, "Lawful," and Integrity", they can select (5). A die is rolled for each selection. If a 4-6 is rolled, that Article is confirmed and cannot be selected by another member. They can also choose not to select any. If Chair is "disharmonious," "illicit," or "controversial," they cannot select any. b. Ranking member (if any) can select (2) articles, excluding any that were selected by the Chair. If Ranking Member has "Integrity," they can select an additional (1). The most the ranking member can select is (3). A die is rolled for each selection. If a 5-6 is rolled, that Article is confirmed and cannot be selected by another member. They can also choose not to select an article. If Ranking member is "disharmonious," "illicit," or "controversial," they cannot select any. c. Members in order of Leg Ability then each have an opportunity to select (1), unless they have the trait "integrity," which would allow them an additional selection bringing the total to (2). A die is rolled for each selection. If a 6 is rolled, that Article is confirmed and cannot be selected by another member. They can also choose not to select an article. If member is "disharmonious," "illicit," or "controversial," they cannot select any. d. If all articles of impeachment are selected before eligible members have the opportunity to select, no additional selections may be made and all (13) Articles of Impeachment are compiled and submitted to a full House vote. 4. After the compiling of the articles, the relevant player or CPU will have the opportunity to voluntarily resign their office-holder. CPU will choose to resign voluntarily 33% of the time. If the office-holder resigns, there is a 33% chance they automatically retire and are removed from the game. If the office-holder remains in the game, there should be a dice roll of (5-6) to gain illicit (if they do not have it), (4) to gain "disharmonious" (if they do not have it), (2-3) to gain "teflon" (if they do not have it), and (1) to lose "controversial" and gain "integrity." 5. If the office-holder does not voluntarily resign, the full house will vote on the Articles of Impeachment individually, one by one. Reps with "Integrity will always vote for the Articles regardless of party. Reps with "lawful" will always vote AYE on impeachment regardless of party if the office-holder has "illicit". Factions will vote with normal Congress in session rules. Faction votes are potentially overruled by a 25% roll if the Speaker has both "leadership" and "ironfist". CPU factions will vote to impeach opposing party members currently facing the impeachment trial and acquit same-party members. 6. If the House votes 50% +1 to impeach, the office-holder is impeached and goes to face the Senate trial. For each Article of Impeachment, the player managing the impeached office-holder loses 100 points, and the faction leader faces a 33% roll to lose -1 in their next election. 7. Senate Trial. All Senators hold an initial vote on each Article individually. CPU will vote in line with their party, Blue will not convict Blue and likewise Red will not convict Red. In order of special cases, the following will supersede a Player/CPU agency in the initial vote: a) Senators with "integrity" and/or "lawful" will roll 50% to convict if the office-holder on trial has the "controversial" and "disharmonious," "illicit," or "manipulative" traits regardless of party; b) Senators with "RW Activist" and/or "Theocrat" will always vote to convict if the Article of Impeachment is: Public Indecency, Perjury, or Unethical Private Behavior. Senators with "Reformist" and/or "Pacifist" will always vote to convict if the Article of Impeachment is: Corruption, Contempt of Congress, or Unlawful decision making. Senators with "Nationalist" and/or "Expansionist" will always vote to convict if the Article of Impeachment is: Tax Evasion, Obstruction of Justice, and Bribery. Senators with "LW Activist" and/or "Civil Rights" will always vote to convict if the Article of Impeachment is: Abuse of Power, Inciting Violence, and Unethical Political bias. c) If the impeached office-holder has "likable," "charismatic," and/or "harmonious," Moderate Senators that are "pliable," "lackey," and/or "harmonious" will vote to acquit on a 25% roll, regardless of party (this percentage stacks, so if a Moderate Senator is "pliable," "lackey," and "harmonious," it is a 75% roll) d) Senators with LW or RW Populist will always vote against impeachment of a fellow LW or RW Populist, respectively. 8. If the officeholder on trial is in a faction with LW Media or RW Media card, then there is a 33% roll of +1 faction enthusiasm for their party. If the office-holder has "likable" and/or "charismatic," then there is a 33% roll of +1 party preference for their party. If none apply, then there is an automatic -1 to the office-holder's party preference. 9. After the initial votes on each Article, follow standard vote conversion in Senate in Session Rules. If any article reaches 2/3 majority, then the office-holder is convicted and immediately removed from the game. 10. The person controlling that convicted office-holder loses 1,000 pts, unless they are in first place, then they lose 5,000 pts. The loss of these points are avoided if the person on trial resigned prior to the trial. Party Preference will also have a 1-5 die roll chance of decreasing for that party. If the person convicted is a party leader, then that party loses -2 party preference and -1 faction ideology enthusiasm. If the person convicted is a faction leader (party leaders are also faction leaders), then everyone in that faction gains a temporary -1 in the next election, midterm or general, whichever is first (this stacks with the impeachment negative hit from step 6 above). If the person on trial is not convicted, then there is a 1-2 die roll chance that Congressional Leaders that voted for impeachment get “unlikable” and a 1-2 die roll chance of the party favoring impeachment gets -1 party preference. 11. On successful conviction, the factions that control the Senate Majority Leader and Speaker each gain 1000 points. If conviction fails, those factions lose 1000 points. 12. If the office-holder is the President, and they are not successfully convicted, there is a 25% chance of no change in party preference or ideology enthusiasm, 25% chance of -1 party preference for the President's party, a 25% -1 enthusiasm for their faction ideology, and a 25% of +1 party preference for the President's party. 13. Reps that vote to impeach, and Senators that vote to convict, a President or Vice President of their own party have a 25% chance of gaining "disharmonious", 50% chance of gaining "integrity", and a 25% chance of gaining nothing. They also have a separate 5% roll to gain "can party flip" and a 25% roll to gain "independent". Finally, these politicians have a 75% chance of -1 in their next primary, and a 25% chance of -2 in their next primary. 14. There are no special gains/losses for any other office-holders beyond President and Vice President. TL;DR My Fourteen Points to really complicate but also streamline/clarify the impeachment trial process. It's rare and complex in real life, but it can be more straightforward in AMPU. I'm not too attached to any of these suggested points, but I'm open to discuss! 5 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.