The Political Lounge

April 2023 Playtest Best Moments

• vcczar pinned this topic

Sitting Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor gave the keynote speech at the 2028 Democratic National Convention, before former VP Jay Inslee won the presidential election. Sotomayor gained command and +1 in the next presidential primary.

• Haha 1
  • Based 1

12 hours ago, jnewt said:

Sitting Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor gave the keynote speech at the 2028 Democratic National Convention, before former VP Jay Inslee won the presidential election. Sotomayor gained command and +1 in the next presidential primary.

Ha, that’s interesting. We should probably make a rule that sitting justices can’t give the speech at a party’s convention. Haha.

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Ha, that’s interesting. We should probably make a rule that sitting justices can’t give the speech at a party’s convention. Haha.

10 minutes ago, Willthescout7 said:

Pretty sure that would immediately lead to calls for impeachment/recusal

Yea probably. My headcanon is that President Haley was such a disaster with so many crises that even the Supreme Court felt they had to step in to help get her out of office, even if she didn’t do anything impeachable. Inslee won something like 47 states. 

51 minutes ago, jnewt said:

Yea probably. My headcanon is that President Haley was such a disaster with so many crises that even the Supreme Court felt they had to step in to help get her out of office, even if she didn’t do anything impeachable. Inslee won something like 47 states. 

He’s the modern day FDR versus Haley’s Hoover.

• Like 1

At the 1876 Democratic Convention, Party Leader and frontrunner Speaker of the House William "Boss" Tweed is assassinated by a crazed Whig angry about the Speaker's role in the ending of abolition. This throws the convention into chaos leading to the nomination of former Confederate Howell Cobb of GA.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Willthescout7 said:

At the 1876 Democratic Convention, Party Leader and frontrunner Speaker of the House William "Boss" Tweed is assassinated by a crazed Whig angry about the Speaker's role in the ending of abolition. This throws the convention into chaos leading to the nomination of former Confederate Howell Cobb of GA.

So the guy kills Tweed angry at the end of Reconstruction and ends up with a former Confederate instead.  That's tough to swallow.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

In slightly less crazy news, some events of the 1874-1876 term:  While originally there were FIVE states planned to be admitted this busy session, riders attached to the Senate Foreign/Military omnibus result in the delay of four of those states until next term, and the only state joining the Union this cycle being the former Mexican lands in Durango purchased by Granger for Mormon settlement, though the area has become a hotbed for settlement of all sorts.  Whigs sweep the nascent state's first provisional elections.  The first Governor is Wall St Whig Leland Stanford (IRL CA Gov and founder of Stanford), and the two Senators are Henry Taylor Blow (Mil Whig) and Napoleon Bonaparte Giddings (Cons Whig) (A Missouri Representative/ambassador and a Representative from Nebraska IRL respectively)

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, can someone point me in the direction of where I can learn more on how assassinations work in game? It seems like such a wildcard and I’m curious how it gets handled here. Ie, does the assassin have intent of any kind, political leaning, etc and if so, do those things impact the game going forward?

43 minutes ago, CharlesHughes11 said:

Out of curiosity, can someone point me in the direction of where I can learn more on how assassinations work in game? It seems like such a wildcard and I’m curious how it gets handled here. Ie, does the assassin have intent of any kind, political leaning, etc and if so, do those things impact the game going forward?

There are scripted events that can handle assassination, plus I think a very unlikely general event. If those fire, the assassination can occur. We also have the Pineapple Primary, which features a candidate at the convention being killed. This time in 1840 it killed Boss Tweed. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Willthescout7 said:

There are scripted events that can handle assassination, plus I think a very unlikely general event. If those fire, the assassination can occur. We also have the Pineapple Primary, which features a candidate at the convention being killed. This time in 1840 it killed Boss Tweed. 

It also killed Grant last time.

• 2 weeks later...

In 1786, there's heavy debate over whether to disband the Continental Congress in favor of focusing efforts on a Constitutional Convention.  The southern states are united in opposition, most of the northern and border states are in favor.  

With New Hampshire abstaining, Connecticut shall be the deciding vote.  The fate of our nation hinges on CT representatives Joshua Coit and William Samuel Johnson -- both controlled by the same player.

The cool part is that these two representatives are the ONLY reps that this player has, out of 39 total reps right now.

He controls a "tiny but mighty" faction right now -- only two reps, but he's sure making them count!  ;c)

The nation waits with bated breath to hear whether these two men will support the government as-is, run by a Continental Congress...or whether they'll decide to tear the entire government down and start over from scratch.

Edited by MrPotatoTed
  • Like 3

As the country settles deeper into Reconstruction the Republicans led by President Grant, Speaker of the House James G. Blaine, and Senate pro tem Charles D. Drake control the executive and legislative branch.

They are adding states like hotcakes and passing a radical agenda while keeping most of the country happy. 

The Supreme Court has recently added another seat and lost 2 associate justices as well as Chief Justice Chase.  The Democrats have 3 seats but they are all held by order men who are wondering when the hand of death will come calling for them.  

The question on everyone's mind is will Grant run for a 2nd term or allow someone else to step up.  Or can the Democrats rally behind Representative Fernando Wood or someone else and take charge.

4 hours ago, MrPotatoTed said:

In 1786, there's heavy debate over whether to disband the Continental Congress in favor of focusing efforts on a Constitutional Convention.  The southern states are united in opposition, most of the northern and border states are in favor.  

With New Hampshire abstaining, Connecticut shall be the deciding vote.  The fate of our nation hinges on CT representatives Joshua Coit and William Samuel Johnson -- both controlled by the same player.

The cool part is that these two representatives are the ONLY reps that this player has, out of 39 total reps right now.

He controls a "tiny but mighty" faction right now -- only two reps, but he's sure making them count!  ;c)

The nation waits with bated breath to hear whether these two men will support the government as-is, run by a Continental Congress...or whether they'll decide to tear the entire government down and start over from scratch.

The only reason they're my only two reps is because I couldn't sustain having 5 govs the entire era, what goes around comes around Jimmy.

But it's a good test, it shows power does ebb and flow, and the fringe factions are viable.

Edited by OrangeP47
  • Based 2