The Political Lounge

NFL Playtest 2: 1950-present

vcczar

Rezi @OrangeP47 @ebrk85 @matthewyoung123 @jvikings1 @ConservativeElector2 @mark2 @Bloot911 @Hestia @10centjimmy @Willthescout7 @Cal @vcczar @jnewt

NFL Active Draft Results!!!!

Lot's of different draft strategies. Some went for quantity and some went for quality. Two people, including myself, had terrible draft strategies. Two teams didn't bid at all. 

====================

Sad Clowns

C DeMao, Al
CB/KR Tunnell, Emlen
DE Bill McPeak
DT Jim Winkler
G Banducci, Bruno
OLB Thompson, Tommy
QB Harry Gilmer
RB Howard, Sherman
SS Doll, Don
T Wildung, Dick
WR Hirsch, Crazylegs

This team's historical best players are likely CB Tunnell and WR Hirsch. 

========================

Mustaches

MLB/K Poole, Ray
P Gillom, Horace
QB Bobby Thomason
RB Ziegler, Frank
WR Fears, Tom

They didn't bid on many people but they got some quality. WR Fears is their star player, most likely. 

--------------------

Monarchs

CB Hartley, Howard
DE DeRogatis, Al
FB Chick Jagade
G Serini, Wash
QB Finks, Jim
QB YA Tittle
RB Spec Sanders
RB/KR Grimes, Billy
T/K Grouza, Lou
WR Mac Speedie

This is a particularly strong team on offense. QB Tittle, RB Sanders, T/K Groza, and WR Speedie are all likely stars. 

==============================

Cardinals

CB Steiner, Rebel
DE Dove, Bob
FB/K Harder, Pat
G Wistert, Al
MLB Chuck Drazenovich
OLB Clarkson, Stu
QB/K Bob Waterfield
RB Jones, Dub
RB/KR Smith, Vitamin
T Stenn, Paul
WR Edwards, Dan

QB Waterfield might be their only potential all-pro player, although MLB Drazenovich is good. 

==============================

Yodelers

C Gatski, Frank
CB Craft, Russ
DE Sprinkle, Ed
DT Jarmoluk, Mike
FS Ramsey, Ray
G Sulaitis, Joe
MLB Iverson, Duke
QB Tripucka, Frank
RB Van Buren, Steve
RB/P Gulyanics, George
T Niemi, Lauri
WR Taylor, Hugh

DE Sprinkle and RB Van Buren are their best players. Van Buren is the best RB in football, historically, although he's getting kinda old at this point. They'll have to rely on him because QB Tripucka can throw a lot of INTs. Fun fact; Tripucka's son played in the NBA in the 1980s and early 1990s. I remember him playing. Kelly Tripucka was his name. 

===============================

Knights

C Jack Simmons
DE Berrang, Ed
DT Weinmeister, Arnie
FB Parmer, Jim
FS Lewis, Cliff
G Nichols, Hamilton
QB Charlie Conerly
QB Hardy, Jim
RB Tony Canadeo
T George Connor

No major standouts but it's a solid roster. QB Conerly, historically, was close to hall-of-fame quality. Most likely, QB Hardy will be the backup. 

===================================

Moose

C Lindskog, Vic
DE Henke, Ed
FB Motley, Marion
FS Davis, Harper
G Ramsey, Knox
MLB Shipkey, Jerry
QB Tommy Thompson
RB/KR Taliaferro, George
SS/P Tom Landry
T Lipscomb, Paul
WR Garza, Dan

This team's star is FB Motley. QB Tommy Thompson won two championship historically, despite being blind in one eye. This active draft had two Tommy Thompson's. The other one is an OLB. 

================================

Viceroys

C Ecklund, Brad
CB Warren Lahr
CB/KR George McAfee
DE Ford, Len
DT Grgich, Visco
FB Joe Perry
K Agajanian, Ben
MLB Flanagan, Dick
OLB Adamle, Tony
QB Geri, Joe
QB/P Norm Van Brocklin
RB Hoernschemeyer, Bob
SS Cason, Jim
T Dick Huffman
WR Lavelli, Dante

This team's stars are FB Perry, QB/P Van Brocklin, and WR Lavelli. That's a strong offense. One wild card is CB/KR McAfee. He's a HoFer but mainly for his cumulative abilities as a CB and KR and as an RB, but he didn't play RB by 1950 as he was older. 

Top Hats

C Walsh, Bill
DE Brink, Larry
DT Donovan, Art
FB Hoerner, Dick
FS Otto Schnellbacher
G Barwegen, Dick
MLB Bednarik, Chuck
OLB Bones Weatherly
QB Bobby Layne
RB Veri Lillywhite
RB/KR/K Walker, Doak
T Coulter, Tex
WR Pihos, Pete

This is a very balanced team. For defense, DT Donovan, FS Schnellbacher, and MLB Bednarik are great. For offense, WR Pihos, RB/KR/K Walker, and QB Layne are great. The latter two both went to my high school. They were teammates both in high school and in the NFL. Both are HoFers. Walker is a weird Hall of Famer because he's in for collective ability for his three roles. He isn't dominant at any of them, but he's someone you want to have. 

================================================

Pot Smokers

DT Baker, Jon
G Creekmur, Lou
QB Lujack, Johnny
RB Angsman, Elmer

This team didn't bid and was lucky to get anyone. G Creekmur is pretty good. QB Lujack is a rare early QB who was kind of mobile. 

-----------------------------------

Americans

C Bulldog Turner
DE Clay Matthews Sr
DT Ray Bray
OLB John Cannady
QB Otto Graham
QB/K Blanda, George
RB Johnny Strzykalski
T Bucko Kilroy
WR Bob Shaw

Very interesting team. They got the best QB, possibly in pro football history, in Otto Graham. At the same time, they have HoF QB/K George Blanda as a backup, and who will likely be the K. Historically, Blanda had the longest career of anyone. He played until the early 1970s! He was only a kick for like his last 8 or 10 years though. The team has C Turner, possibly the best in this draft. DE Matthews is the patriarch of the Matthews NFL dynasty. He was solid but not great, but he had one HoF son (Bruce Matthews) and another (Clay Matthews) who may get in as a senior pick sometime soon. So far like 4 or 5 grandchildren from these two sons have also been in the NFL, although only two (Clay Matthews III and Jake Matthews) of them have been good. The 2024 draft might see the last Matthews grandchild get drafted, by the way. 

====================================

Rebels

CB Kindt, Don
DE Wimberly, Ab
DT Willis, Bill
FB Young, Buddy
FS Tom Keane
G John Wozniak
K Johnson, Harvey
MLB Norm Standle
OLB Bob Summerhays
P Girard, Jug
QB Frankie Albert
RB/K Bill Dudley
T Fischer, Bill
WR Mann, Bob

This team's best player is probably DT Bill Willis, one of the four players to break the NFL color barrier, and strangely playing on a team with a "rebels" mascot. There's a lot of depth on this team, but no other real standouts. The depth is probably helpful this early in the league. QB Albert can be a solid QB. 

-----------------------------------

Colonels

FB Younger, Tank
G Bill Austin
QB Ratterman, George
RB Box, Cloyce

This team didn't bid and were lucky to get players. Their star player is probably FB Tank Younger, who is good. QB Ratterman is interesting. He's got talent but throws a lot of INTs. Ratterman was a 20 year old rookie in the mid to late 1940s and threw 22 TDs, which was the rookie QB TD record until Peyton Manning!!!!

----------------------------------

Painted Buntings

DE Wham, Tom
DT Stickel, Walt
FS Wagner, Lowell
G Abe Gibron
QB Sammy Baugh
RB Scott, Joe
RB/QB Trippi, Charley
T Bill Wightkin
WR Nickel, Elbie

I had a terrible draft strategy and old did so well because two teams didn't bid. My top two players are QB Baugh and RB/QB Trippi, both Hall of Famers. However, Baugh is the oldest player in the league and probably only has one more good season left. Trippi is one of those weird hybrid players that doesn't quite fit the NFL well from the 1950s on. He was perfect for the 1940s. 

Overall, I think the Top Hats are the favorites to win at this point. The next thing I gotta do is move these guys on to your rosters, set up your team pages, and calculate team strengths

• Like 3

Top Hats @10centjimmy players and team strength is now available. 

I expect them to be the top team at this point. 

Total Team Strength Team Pass Off Team Rush Off Team Pass Def Team Rush Def Team ST
11808 2523 3045 1800 2190 2250

The team's strength is running the ball and stopping the run. Their weakest area is pass defense. The math is such that these values (aside from the total) should be balanced if every slot has a player of equal strength. So a 1800 in passing should be a 1800 in rushing. 

If the Top Hats lose in an upset, it will be becasue it's playing a strong passing game. 

• Like 1

@Cal Sad Clowns

The Sad Clowns are far worse than the Top Hats, but they aren't as bad as I thought they'd be. They really need some help on defense, specifically pass defense. The offense has a slight rushing advantage. Special Teams is woefully weak. 

Total Team Strength Team Pass Off Team Rush Off Team Pass Def Team Rush Def Team ST
9195 2080 2120 1625 1870 1500

@Bloot911 Mustaches

They have a lot of holes. They have no offensive line! They're on track to have a great passing offense if they can get some offensive linemen. They're defense is particularly weak. Despite all of this, they have a reasonably strong special teams, which is good considering they'll have to use it frequently. 

6170 1525 1175 645 775 2050

@Hestia Monarchs

I thought this team would be better than the Sad Clowns, but I was noticing that the defense is so weak. The offense and special teams are quite solid. 

8655 2345 2645 775 840 2050
  • Like 1

@OrangeP47 Cardinals

This team is pretty good. The rushing offense is great, as is the special teams. Passing offense is solid. The weakness is the defense. Of the teams above, they're the 2nd strongest team after the Top Hats, but we have some more teams to post. 

10305 2180 2605 1570 1700 2250

15 minutes ago, vcczar said:

@OrangeP47 Cardinals

This team is pretty good. The rushing offense is great, as is the special teams. Passing offense is solid. The weakness is the defense. Of the teams above, they're the 2nd strongest team after the Top Hats, but we have some more teams to post. 

10305 2180 2605 1570 1700 2250

I low key tried to go for special teams because I figured nobody else would, especially in this era.

• Like 2

@ebrk85 Yodelers

This team seems decent. Considering the RB is Steve Van Buren, I'm kind of surprised the rushing offense isn't better, but they may just need a FB and at least one OLman that isn't mediocre. The pass defense and special teams is weak also. In all other ways, the team is respectable. 

9630 2120 2465 1650 2095 1300

@mark2 Knights

This team has some holes. Very good offense, but the defense and special teams are terrible. He has no notable LBs or STs. The team also lacks a notable WR. 

7350 2100 2625 950 1175 500

@Rezi Pot Smokers

This is the other team that failed to bid, and it shows. They are slightly better than the Colonels because they have at least one notable person on defense, although the Colonels have a slightly better offense. 

4825 1365 1705 455 650 650

@jnewt Americans

This team has some important pieces in place. They have QB Otto Graham, George Blanda as a K, and Bulldog Turner as the C. Historically, Graham went to the Championship every year. It's hard seeing him do that without a lot of help in the upcoming draft. The team is very weak defensively. 

8080 2325 1935 1015 1205 1600

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

@mark2 Knights

This team has some holes. Very good offense, but the defense and special teams are terrible. He has no notable LBs or STs. The team also lacks a notable WR. 

7350 2100 2625 950 1175 500

all part of the plan, we're headed straight to exciting mediocrity baby! get those tickets pumping!

Here's the Power Rankings Pre-Draft. We will Draft in Reverse Order of This List: 

Team Owner Division         Total Team Strength
Virginia Beach Viceroys CE2 East         12425
Washington Top Hats 10centjimmy East         11808
Atlanta Rebels matthewyoung East         10435
Chicago Cardinals OrangeP West         10305
Los Angeles Yodelers ebrk West         9630
Muncie Moose WilltheScout West         9200
Boise Sad Clowns Cal West         9195
Kansas City Monarchs Hestia West         8655
Boston Americans JNewt East         8080
Las Vegas Knights mark2 West         7350
Cambridge Painted Buntings VCCzar East         7061
Salt Lake City Mustaches Bloot West         6170
Buffalo Pot Smokers Rezi East         4825
Lexington Colonels JVikings East         4360

Rezi @OrangeP47 @ebrk85 @matthewyoung123 @jvikings1 @ConservativeElector2 @mark2 @Bloot911 @Hestia @10centjimmy @Willthescout7 @Cal @vcczar @jnewt

1950 Rookie Draft is Up!!!!!

I worked all day so we have time to do this before @matthewyoung123's trip. 

This is similar to the active draft. Please go onto the spreadsheet and make a 100 point bid on players for each round in the DraftList tab. This will show me who you are interested in picking up. I'll take the highest bid when it is your turn. I'll also make note if a position is filled later in the draft and another need position is there. And things like that. 

If you don't bid, I'll just draft a need player for you. 

You have until Thursday when I wake up. So basically 36 to 40 hours from this post. 

• Like 2

By my count, there are 43 players in this draft. 

Does that mean we'll each get 3, with the Lexington Colonels getting the last pick?

I might be misunderstanding this though because I don't see the reason for having points if we're just going in order based off of team strength. 

1 minute ago, Cal said:

By my count, there are 43 players in this draft. 

Does that mean we'll each get 3, with the Lexington Colonels getting the last pick?

I might be misunderstanding this though because I don't see the reason for having points if we're just going in order based off of team strength. 

Not necessarily. I have to account for non-notables. So you have a chance of getting no pick. There’s no certainty. Weaker teams gave a higher chance of getting a pick.