The Political Lounge

AMPU: 1800 Playtest - Era of Republicanism

ebrk85

I have the sheets ready to go already so welcome to the 1800 Playtest!!

We are entering a new era where the first real organized parties have developed. The "Blue Party" or Democratic-Republicans seem to have the advantage, as it champions the expanded rights of the common American over those of the Eastern establishment. The power of the nation is certainly shifting westward and the "Red Party" or Federalists are lagging behind in representing this new crop of America who have fewer ties to Northern banks and foreign trade. The "Red Party" must decide whether to adapt to population shifts or to use political means to curtail the power of the other party. Internationally, British maritime practices have been especially aggressive as late, mostly to do with their ongoing rivalry with France. However, we are frequently caught in the middle of all of this. While the "Blue Party" favors an aggressive response to Britain, going so far as to seek an embargo or war, the "Red Party" wishes to do nothing that could disrupt trade. (Most of this taken from V's era description)

Based on responses from the other thread confirmed to be playing is @Murrman104 @jnewt @pman @dkh64 @Pringles @matthewyoung123 @10centjimmy

I think playing but please confirm: @WVProgressive (was very against 1800 but based off your last post I think you decided to join?); @ShortKing (based on your give me all the kingmakers faction lol)

@DJBillyShakes Before I open it up to others, in or out?

Factions (Ideologies and some top pols listed):

Blue 1- LW Pop/Prog/Lib/Mod- VP Aaron Burr, Elbridge Gerry, Gov Arthur Fenner

Blue 2- Moderates- Gov George Clinton, Sec of Treasury Albert Gallatin, Gov Thomas McKean

Blue 3- Moderates- Sec of State James Madison, Gov James Monroe, Benjamin Rush

Blue 4- Conservatives- Andrew Jackson, Rep Joseph Bradley Varnum, John Langdon

@jnewt Blue 5- Con/Trad/RW Pop- Pres Thomas Jefferson, Gov John Sevier, Speaker Nathaniel Macon

Red 1- Moderates- Minister to Great Britain Rufus King, Oliver Ellsworth, Justice Bushrod Washington

Red 2- Moderates- John Quincy Adams, Justice William Paterson, Charles Coatesworth Pinckney

Red 3- Moderates- Gov Isaac Tichenor, Fisher Ames, Gov Richard Bassett

Red 4- Conservatives- Alexander Hamilton, Thomas Pinckney, Francis Dana

Red 5- Conservatives- Chief Justice John Marshall, Sen John Eager Howard, Sen Gouverneur Morris

Besides @jnewt who has Blue 5 everyone else that is playing please submit some top choices on which factions you'd prefer. I'll do my best to accommodate but can't promise anything. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@jnewt since you have a faction I shared the sheet with you. Keep in mind I won't update the faction names until I have all the factions distributed. So your faction right now is the one named Murrman and not the one named jnewt lmao (1948 peeps will fine the faction lineup familiar) 🙂 

• Haha 1

I’m fine with any faction, really, but I know @Pringles is planning on joining, and I care more about playing alongside him than playing as any specific faction. With that in mind:

If Pringles joins as a member of the blue party:

Blue 1

Blue 3

Blue 2

And if he joins as a member of the red party:

Red 2

Red 1

Red 5

• Like 1

Forgot to mention I pre-placed some pols onto the career track. Like this idea from the 1928 test that @matthewyoung123 and @10centjimmy did and I also implemented for the set-up of 1868. Since there are less pols in this era I did it on a more limited scale. The idea behind this is people drafted in the past few classes didn't get a chance to be put on the career track since we weren't playing at that point and you get stuck with a bunch of pols with a 1 ability in one category.

To make it even across the factions I placed 7 pols onto the career track for each faction chosen randomly. Each faction got 1 pol on each of the 7 different tracks. And spread them out so they have 1 pol at 16 years, 2 at 12 years, 2 at 8 years and 2 at 4 years based on that pols draft year. An example of this would be:

RED PARTY 0 Years 4 Years 8 Years 12 Years 16 Years 20 Years
pman            
Private Sector       POL    
Military Sector       POL    
State Judicial Sector     POL      
State Gov Sector         POL  
State Legis Sector   POL        
State Admin Sector     POL      
Backroom Politics Sector   POL        
Edited by ebrk85
  • Like 3

Preference:

Blue 4

Blue 3

Red 5 (literally my alter ego) 😛 In time period context at least... 😛 

Edited by Pringles

Exciting- faction preference is listed from most interested to least interested, I excluded a few factions I have no interest in. Strong preference for Blue

Blue 3- Moderates- Sec of State James Madison, Gov James Monroe, Benjamin Rush

Blue 2- Moderates- Gov George Clinton, Sec of Treasury Albert Gallatin, Gov Thomas McKean

Blue 4- Conservatives- Andrew Jackson, Rep Joseph Bradley Varnum, John Langdon

Blue 1- LW Pop/Prog/Lib/Mod- VP Aaron Burr, Elbridge Gerry, Gov Arthur Fenner

Red 3-Moderates- Gov Isaac Tichenor, Fisher Ames, Gov Richard Bassett

Red 2-Moderates- John Quincy Adams, Justice William Paterson, Charles Coatesworth Pinckney

Red 1

Red 4- Conservatives- Alexander Hamilton, Thomas Pinckney, Francis Dana

Red 5

Edited by pman

10 hours ago, ebrk85 said:

Forgot to mention I pre-placed some pols onto the career track. Like this idea from the 1928 test that @matthewyoung123 and @10centjimmy did and I also implemented for the set-up of 1868. Since there are less pols in this era I did it on a more limited scale. The idea behind this is people drafted in the past few classes didn't get a chance to be put on the career track since we weren't playing at that point and you get stuck with a bunch of pols with a 1 ability in one category.

To make it even across the factions I placed 7 pols onto the career track for each faction chosen randomly. Each faction got 1 pol on each of the 7 different tracks. And spread them out so they have 1 pol at 16 years, 2 at 12 years, 2 at 8 years and 2 at 4 years based on that pols draft year. An example of this would be:

RED PARTY 0 Years 4 Years 8 Years 12 Years 16 Years 20 Years
pman            
Private Sector       POL    
Military Sector       POL    
State Judicial Sector     POL      
State Gov Sector         POL  
State Legis Sector   POL        
State Admin Sector     POL      
Backroom Politics Sector   POL        

I honestly think this is something that needs to be done on the computer version of the game when starting at later points (not 1772) so you aren't stuck with a bunch of low skilled pols.

Perhaps the CPU can randomly assign 2-3 pols per draft class to the Career Track each game that is a later start date like we have done.  Thanks. @vcczar @MrPotatoTed

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, matthewyoung123 said:

I honestly think this is something that needs to be done on the computer version of the game when starting at later points (not 1772) so you aren't stuck with a bunch of low skilled pols.

Perhaps the CPU can randomly assign 2-3 pols per draft class to the Career Track each game that is a later start date like we have done.  Thanks. @vcczar @MrPotatoTed

Added this tomy to do list. I'll bring it up to Anthony whenever he gets to the Career Track. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, matthewyoung123 said:

I agree.  We really need a startup guide for games that don't start in 1772.  Unfortunately, I don't have the time to take this on myself these days.

• Like 1

BTW, though I prefer Blue- if you could put me in a Red team with Murr, SK, Jimmy and DJ/ Matt- that would be a fun team. Especially if I got Blue 2,3 or 4.  But man, this era stinks for the Blue Team, the biases make it super hard for them to win anything so I am not too excited to take on that challenge.  I'd love to be on the blue team with Murr, Sk and Jnewt, haha. 

Or You could do team captains and let Jnewt and WVProg (the top two from 2020) draft their teams in terms of players. Just an idea. 

Edited by pman

29 minutes ago, pman said:

BTW, though I prefer Blue- if you could put me in a Red team with Murr, SK, Jimmy and DJ/ Matt- that would be a fun team. Especially if I got Blue 2,3 or 4.  But man, this era stinks for the Blue Team, the biases make it super hard for them to win anything so I am not too excited to take on that challenge.  I'd love to be on the blue team with Murr, Sk and Jnewt, haha. 

Or You could do team captains and let Jnewt and WVProg (the top two from 2020) draft their teams in terms of players. Just an idea. 

Your use of red and blue is confusing. I feel like you swapped in the wrong one in several instances. 

Prefer blue but put me on red. But want blue 2,3 or 4. Blue biases suck? What era are you looking at?

I'm not inclined to have people draft their teammates. 

• Thanks 1

Sorry. I was just saying the era is very tough on the Federalists. Even states like New York prefer the Democrat-Republicans until the era changes. I'd prefer the Democrat-Republicans but I am ok with being a Federalist faction especially if I am on some team with some guys I haven't had a chance to be teammates with for a while. Sorry for the confusing response.

1 hour ago, pman said:

Sorry. I was just saying the era is very tough on the Federalists. Even states like New York prefer the Democrat-Republicans until the era changes. I'd prefer the Democrat-Republicans but I am ok with being a Federalist faction especially if I am on some team with some guys I haven't had a chance to be teammates with for a while. Sorry for the confusing response.

This one makes more sense ha

• Haha 1

Assigned Factions

I was able to get everyone at least in their top 3 choices.  I'll update the sheets with the faction names and share them later this evening. Between all the tests I'm in I think I have everyone's email address but I'll reach out if I need anyone's.

Factions:

@Murrman104 Blue 1- LW Pop/Prog/Lib/Mod- VP Aaron Burr, Elbridge Gerry, Gov Arthur Fenner (If we go to modern times you can draft Bernie again 😛 )

@dkh64 Blue 2- Moderates- Gov George Clinton, Sec of Treasury Albert Gallatin, Gov Thomas McKean

@ShortKing Blue 3- Moderates- Sec of State James Madison, Gov James Monroe, Benjamin Rush

@pman Blue 4- Conservatives- Andrew Jackson, Rep Joseph Bradley Varnum, John Langdon

@jnewt Blue 5- Con/Trad/RW Pop- Pres Thomas Jefferson, Gov John Sevier, Speaker Nathaniel Macon

@DJBillyShakes Red 1- Moderates- Minister to Great Britain Rufus King, Oliver Ellsworth, Justice Bushrod Washington

@WVProgressive Red 2- Moderates- John Quincy Adams, Justice William Paterson, Charles Coatesworth Pinckney

@10centjimmy Red 3- Moderates- Gov Isaac Tichenor, Fisher Ames, Gov Richard Bassett

@matthewyoung123 Red 4- Conservatives- Alexander Hamilton, Thomas Pinckney, Francis Dana

@Pringles Red 5- Conservatives- Chief Justice John Marshall, Sen John Eager Howard, Sen Gouverneur Morris

Red team is definitely more of a challenge in this era so thank you to those taking that on. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1