The Political Lounge

Republicans Successfully Block Jan. 6 Commission In Senate Vote

Pringles

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/28/us/politics/capitol-riot-commission.html

I got a bad feeling about this...

I guess the best thing we can hope for now is a successful select committee in the House. But this is a disgrace. 

This is another one of those "bad decisions" or instances of Republicans shooting themselves in the foot. I don't think this is going to end well for the Republicans. As regardless of whether you agree with a Jan. 6 Commission or not, Republicans have just handed Democrats a narrative to push for the next 2 election cycles. And it's a narrative that can work. 

I think any decent person would support a commission to investigate a bunch of hillbillies rampaging through our Capitol, and harming our police officers. What's even worse are the officers that let these idiots through. 

22 minutes ago, Pringles said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/28/us/politics/capitol-riot-commission.html

I got a bad feeling about this...

I guess the best thing we can hope for now is a successful select committee in the House. But this is a disgrace. 

This is another one of those "bad decisions" or instances of Republicans shooting themselves in the foot. I don't think this is going to end well for the Republicans. As regardless of whether you agree with a Jan. 6 Commission or not, Republicans have just handed Democrats a narrative to push for the next 2 election cycles. And it's a narrative that can work. 

I think any decent person would support a commission to investigate a bunch of hillbillies rampaging through our Capitol, and harming our police officers. What's even worse are the officers that let these idiots through. 

Where was this Portman during the whole Trump era? 🙄

Does anyone reasonably expect Republicans to ever act in a bipartisan manner? Democrats literally bent over and gave the GOP EVERYTHING they wanted. How many votes did that get? 6. They need 10 to break any filibuster. If I were Biden, I'd use this to say shove that infrastructure deal you know where, and Democrats are going to get it done our way. But he is nicer than me 😛

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hestia said:

Does anyone reasonably expect Republicans to ever act in a bipartisan manner? Democrats literally bent over and gave the GOP EVERYTHING they wanted. How many votes did that get? 6. They need 10 to break any filibuster. If I were Biden, I'd use this to say shove that infrastructure deal you know where, and Democrats are going to get it done our way. But he is nicer than me 😛

Biden can be a class act when it comes to senate wheeling and dealing and I wouldn't be surprised if this has already been made clear behind the scenes. But I agree, at this point Republicans deserve what they get. The 6-8 Senate Republicans that would've actually voted for this have my sympathy, and I wish them the best in their fight. But for change to come it's going to take some painful lessons. Aka, losses. 

No clue why Burr and Toomey wouldn’t vote for the commission given that they voted to convict.

Edited by Rezi

Just now, Rezi said:

No clue why Burr and Toomey wouldn’t vote for the commission given that they voted to convict.

Yeah I was surprised by this as well, but it turns out that both were absent. I think Toomey had a "family matter" to attend to or something. Not really sure but I know both of them literally weren't in DC. So who knows. Toomey made clear he would've voted for it had he been present. Haven't looked into Burr. 

Just now, Patine said:

Both Duopoly Parties need to go, and a Hell of a lot of the elected or retired office-holders of BOTH parties face indictment and trial for high crimes. The rigged and non-free-and-fair elections that keep the Duopoly as a whole afloat is a massive crime and act of collective high treason against the American people, nation, and Constitution that dwarfs the January 6 insurrection, as bad as THAT was. Go for all the HIGH CRIMINALS in office, not just a select few of them. Clean the house, so a fresh start can be enabled! Vote out the whole Duopoly in one election! That is the ONLY path to advancement, accountability, justice, and democracy in the U.S., right now!

Ross Perot could've done it in 92! 😛 

3 hours ago, Pringles said:

Yeah I was surprised by this as well, but it turns out that both were absent. I think Toomey had a "family matter" to attend to or something. Not really sure but I know both of them literally weren't in DC. So who knows. Toomey made clear he would've voted for it had he been present. Haven't looked into Burr. 

Burr said that he would vote no.

The notion that the capitol storming will not be investigated without a commission is not grounded in reality. The fact is, it has been getting a massive amount of attention from federal law enforcement (especially the FBI). They are subpoenaing phone records, using facial recognition, and refusing to offer any plea deals (even for misdemeanors) unless the charges hands over all their devises and gives testimony on everything they know. If it is about getting to the bottom of the events that took place, they are already putting in the work (and maybe even an excessive amount at that). How do I know this? I am acquaintances with an attorney that is representing an individual accused of a misdemeanor related to the events.

Some congressional commission is going to do absolutely nothing for finding facts and everything for those who seek another political tool for their arsenal.

12 minutes ago, Patine said:

This much is true. But I think what they really want the power to do is investigate and possibly indict sitting and retired Republican politicians alleged to have been involved.

And, welcome to the new forum. I figured you'd show up here eventually. 🙂

I would not be surprised if you are right about that.

Well, when you're sitting around after college graduation with not a whole lot to do, something has to occupy a little time! We'll just see if it lasts into the law school years

On 5/30/2021 at 5:47 PM, jvikings1 said:

I would not be surprised if you are right about that.

Well, when you're sitting around after college graduation with not a whole lot to do, something has to occupy a little time! We'll just see if it lasts into the law school years

Where did you end up choosing to attend? I committed to Richmond myself. (I’m Herbert Hoover/CalebsParadox)