Jump to content
The Political Lounge

A Thread for small, low priority changes and errors.


Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, Imperator Taco Cat said:

Stephen Mallory, Confederate Sec of Navy, is not marked as secessionist.

He also has 0 military ability.

I went and manually marked everyone for secessionist for our playtest, and he's one I missed.  I'm sure I missed others after going through that many politicians.  But that brings up a greater point, in that we don't have a secessionist trait in the original politician database.  It won't apply for most games, but it is very important for 1868, if that's a start date in the game.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Imperator Taco Cat said:

Don't know if this is a problem but retired ex-presidents can double retire.

Once your president term is up most presidents retire from politics but stay in game until death or retirement so they can be used as a key advisor 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Imperator Taco Cat said:

Don't know if this is a problem but retired ex-presidents can double retire.

Yeah, so the path of a usual ex President will be:

- "Retire" from running for office/most appointments.  There's something like a 95 % chance if you've served two full terms as President.  (The other 5% is to represent the JQA's and Taft's of the world who have notable post-Presidential careers in government...though JQA and Taft were themselves just one-term Presidents).  You can only do certain jobs such as key advisor or General during a major war (to represent those who did indeed serve as generals of major wars after their Presidency or at least tried to).  You stay in the game with this kind of Presidential retirement, but with limited options on what you can do. It's mostly just to see when you die.  

- Random retirement roll: You retire from politics altogether.  See, for example, Jimmy Carter.  Still alive, but hasn't engaged in the political world in decades.  You can no longer serve in any capacity.  We're just waiting to see when you die now.

- Random death roll:  Ya dead.

  • Thanks 1
  • Based 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Bushwa777 said:

So in 1868 i rolled into presidential aliment which is a 5% chance and despite rerolling to make sure it did it 2x more so the die gods wanted this to happen.....yet it happened at least 1x in 1948 and i hear many other playtests

I mean such is the nature of time.  Given infinite time and something that's not impossible, it WILL happen eventually.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, OrangeP47 said:

I mean such is the nature of time.  Given infinite time and something that's not impossible, it WILL happen eventually.

I did some quick math, at 5% probability, there is a 50% chance to have a Presidential aliment every 34 years (17 half terms), a 75% chance every 68 years (34 half terms), and the point where it's over 90% is 57 half terms, or 114 years.  That seems reasonable.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

I did some quick math, at 5% probability, there is a 50% chance to have a Presidential aliment every 34 years (17 half terms), a 75% chance every 68 years (34 half terms), and the point where it's over 90% is 57 half terms, or 114 years.  That seems reasonable.

It's reasonable but we've had two that I can think of in our entire history. Before wilson if the president got that sick he died.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Imperator Taco Cat said:

It's reasonable but we've had two that I can think of in our entire history. Before wilson if the president got that sick he died.

I mean that's an argument for having the president just drop dead not the frequency of the event.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

I mean that's an argument for having the president just drop dead not the frequency of the event.

Also I'd argue there's a few more cases you're all forgetting, namely Cleveland's jaw cancer, and I'd argue Trump's covid could be included.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Bushwa777 said:

Washington had cancer

Yeah, point being, I think the event feels right.  If anything, I'd change it to 50% chance of what it does now, 50% chance the Pres dies, because we don't have enough top level office holders just biting the dust.  The Frequency is fine.  This is actually the second time this has come up and we all agreed to keep it as is last time.

  • Like 3
  • Based 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

John Armstrong Jr- In real life he was New York Senator however he starts in PA and NY isnt an alt state (PA isnt a mistake he is from there FYI) 

Thomas Burke- His bio notes him as being born in Ireland but he isnt tagged as Foreign Born

Horatio Gates's bio notes him moving to NY in later life but it isnt an alt state 

James Jackson's bio notes him as being born in England but he isnt tagged as Foreign Born

William Preston was born in Ireland but isnt tagged as Foreign Born

James Gunn is a Federalist which leads me to believe he should be a Red Party pol rather then Blue as he is currently 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is the new errors thread: @MrPotatoTed @vcczar @ebrk85

The CPU has different rules for selecting Presidential candidates in the Primary election and Convention only. The human rules don't change. I propose we simply change Presidential Primary selection rules to match the convention for consistency and fairness. There is no point for two different rule sets.

Is anyone opposed?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I've actually played/run very few "real" elections (where primaries and conventions exist), so I'm not super knowledgeable on that section.  I'll defer to @vcczar and maybe @Cal who I think helped rewrite a lot of it.

I'm not going to make any changes until right before Anthony gets to that part of the rules. The differences might exist because 1) There are natural differences between the primaries and conventions and I aimed to capture them, or 2) When accepting rewrites of rules for one, it created the differences. Obviously, there could be another reason. I'm not going to look at those rules or any AMPU rules until right before Anthony gets to them. I think he's on 2.2 now. So he's still got awhile. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's essentially boils down like this:

primaries: CPU doesn't care and will randomly select 1 candidate regardless of it being major or minor, which will lead to uncompetitive and wonky elections.

Convention: the CPU actually wants to win and will run their faction leader/major candidate with a minor candidate as well.

There is no reason for this difference. What happened was cpu rules for selecting got changed and it wasn't carried over throughout the primaries. Simple fix. 

 

I'll bring it up again later, because that will need to be adjusted to match.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Willthescout7 said:

This is the new errors thread: @MrPotatoTed @vcczar @ebrk85

The CPU has different rules for selecting Presidential candidates in the Primary election and Convention only. The human rules don't change. I propose we simply change Presidential Primary selection rules to match the convention for consistency and fairness. There is no point for two different rule sets.

Is anyone opposed?

This isn't an errors thread Will it's a typos thread essentially and I don't want it to get out of hand 😛

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...