The Political Lounge

A Thread for small, low priority changes and errors.

Am graduating people from career tract in my game as we have reached 4 years and it was peopled with others to reflect ongoing change.

Anyway in rolling odds i note that private, military, admin, and gov gets you some good traits but judges get maybe the 2 or 3 additional justice and the interet for their ideology but not really anything else.  Maybe we can move those numbers to 10% chance to reflect what occured as they were judges?  Justba thought 

11 minutes ago, Bushwa777 said:

Am graduating people from career tract in my game as we have reached 4 years and it was peopled with others to reflect ongoing change.

Anyway in rolling odds i note that private, military, admin, and gov gets you some good traits but judges get maybe the 2 or 3 additional justice and the interet for their ideology but not really anything else.  Maybe we can move those numbers to 10% chance to reflect what occured as they were judges?  Justba thought 

Thanks.  %chance used to be much higher for all career tracks, but playtests proved they were way too overpowered so it was slowed down to the current system.

I agree Judicial doesn’t get as much, simply because few things really felt relevant to a judicial career track.  That said, the main thing they get of course is an increased chance of getting appointed to the Supreme Court, where they will have a ton of power for the rest of their lives. ;c)

• Haha 1

So i read that Grant was recently "promoted " to General of the armies only 3rd person in us history to get this...Pershing and Washington being others.  Would this possibility be something that the game could take into account maybe starting him a bit higher in pv?

5 hours ago, Bushwa777 said:

So i read that Grant was recently "promoted " to General of the armies only 3rd person in us history to get this...Pershing and Washington being others.  Would this possibility be something that the game could take into account maybe starting him a bit higher in pv?

I doubt it, given that it’s a posthumous honor rather than something he achieved while living.

Is it intentional that there are no gains for CC delegates when they win elections? "Win" as in being appointed by governor/largest politician faction.

Another note: no rules for tied in leading politicians for CC appointments - I just rolled a random faction in this case. Should probably be stated in rules.

Edited by Arkansas Progressive

On 5/19/2023 at 10:16 PM, Arkansas Progressive said:

Is it intentional that there are no gains for CC delegates when they win elections? "Win" as in being appointed by governor/largest politician faction.

Another note: no rules for tied in leading politicians for CC appointments - I just rolled a random faction in this case. Should probably be stated in rules.

Yeah, I think off the top of my head House and Senate elections/appointments don't get gains either.  It's being assigned to committees that give you the potential gains.

Good point about the CC tie.  It should probably be lowest score makes the appointment -- if still tied, then random.

In GovActions, there are options to enact a lifetime limit on the number of terms a person can serve as Governor and options to lift the lifetime limit and allow a former Governor to run and serve again after a term out of office. The rules don't currently spell out explicitly how sitting Governors who change these limits are grandfathered in or out.

If in the middle of a playtest, a Governor lifts the lifetime limit, are the people who were previously barred due to having served already made eligible again? Is the sitting Governor eligible? 

I assume the answer to both would be yes, but might be useful to have clarifying language in the rules doc. 

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Arkansas Progressive said:

Quick Question: What does max margin mean and how does it impact things such as popular vote

It's supposed to be the maximum spread that is possible in an election (65 to 35 is a Max margin of 30). However, based on dice rolls (if they were 5 or more apart) and the proximity of the election based on biases, the number could be higher or lower by a much as 10 percentage points. 

That's how I understood it anyways. 

Edited by 10centjimmy

1 minute ago, 10centjimmy said:

It's supposed to be the maximum spread that is possible in an election (65 to 35 is a Max margin of 30). However, based on dice rolls and the proximity of the election based on biases, the number could be higher or lower by a much as 10 percentage points. 

That's how I understood it anyways. 

I'm re-reading 2.9.4 - and all of those determinations sounds like a job for a good CPU to do lol

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Supreme Court Justices arent listed when deciding whom the CPU drafts if they decide to go for a sitting pol when doing the draft of inaugural politicians at a later start date. Rn I've been putting them last after reps, but this should be clarified in the rules

• Agree 1

the CPU draft of sitting pols does not have rules for the following:

• when the faction rolls for a drafting a pol from a state they have a kingmaker in but
    • a. the faction hasn't drafted and has no kingmakers
    • b. the faction's draft ideology has no kingmakers in that state
  • when the faction rolls for politicians that have efficient/kingmaker/charisma but no more eligible pols exist
  • when the faction rolls for drafting the highest sitting pol but has no eligibles due to draft ideology restrictions

current solution when those conditions are met is to draft the highest valued politician that matches the ideology - unless it's been drafted, then start with bordering ideos if possible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arkansas Progressive said:

• when the faction rolls for a drafting a pol from a state they have a kingmaker in but
  • when the faction rolls for politicians that have efficient/kingmaker/charisma but no more eligible pols exist
  • when the faction rolls for drafting the highest sitting pol but has no eligibles due to draft ideology restrictions

current solution when those conditions are met is to draft the highest valued politician that matches the ideology - unless it's been drafted, then start with bordering ideos if possible.

Good points.  My work around when one of those options isn't available is to just re-roll until I land on something that is do-able. 

I'd clarity it in the rules, but I believe Anthony already has a working version of the "politician draft" software working, so he must have already addressed these issues I assume.  Is that right, @vcczar?

20 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Good points.  My work around when one of those options isn't available is to just re-roll until I land on something that is do-able. 

I'd clarity it in the rules, but I believe Anthony already has a working version of the "politician draft" software working, so he must have already addressed these issues I assume.  Is that right, @vcczar?

He did make this but it’s really flawed and he’s going back to it. So this will come up when he gets to that. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, vcczar said:

He did make this but it’s really flawed and he’s going back to it. So this will come up when he gets to that. 

8 hours ago, Arkansas Progressive said:

On 5/23/2023 at 1:40 PM, Arkansas Progressive said:

Supreme Court Justices arent listed when deciding whom the CPU drafts if they decide to go for a sitting pol when doing the draft of inaugural politicians at a later start date. Rn I've been putting them last after reps, but this should be clarified in the rules

Thanks for this.  I've edited the relevant part of 2.1:

I've placed Supreme Court Justices as more important than Governors, less important than Senators.  (Just a personal opinion, I'm sure others will feel differently.  But for now, at least it's in there.)

I've added the word "eligible" to every instruction on who the CPU drafts.  IE "Politician with the highest PV" becomes "Eligible politician with the highest PV".

Added a CPU instruction that if it rolls something that it cannot do (such as drafting an efficient politician if it has no eligible efficient politicians available, it drafts the highest eligible PV.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Maybe? Haha.  Who is the pol?

11 minutes ago, 10centjimmy said:

Bill Richardson,  NM, 1972 draft

I’m not sure why he’d have lackey. Off of a quick Google search it seems he was a popular governor who was riddled with corruption. Sounds like he needs illicit or something to me, instead of lackey. Or nothing since he’s a draft obviously.

Edited by Pringles