The Political Lounge

Reactions

vcczar

I’ll leave it up to the community but I’m not personally a fan of ‘negative’ reactions. I think it may be a slippery slope to accepting negative and intolerant behavior similar to what “he shall not be named” perpetuated on the other forum. That’s just my opinion. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube (they technically do but they don’t affect vote count and are useless) don’t have negative or downvote options and I think they may be onto something. 

Maybe an American flag emoji but I’ll see what the others say first. My mentality is still “less is more” and I don’t want to have like 30 reactions lol. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, DakotaHale said:

I’ll leave it up to the community but I’m not personally a fan of ‘negative’ reactions. I think it may be a slippery slope to accepting negative and intolerant behavior similar to what “he shall not be named” perpetuated on the other forum. That’s just my opinion. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube (they technically do but they don’t affect vote count and are useless) don’t have negative or downvote options and I think they may be onto something. 

Maybe an American flag emoji but I’ll see what the others say first. My mentality is still “less is more” and I don’t want to have like 30 reactions lol. 

We could have a disagree reaction that isn't necessarily negative points or anything. 

I do support negative reactions that cost points. For instance, if PoliticalPundit was hit with negative reactions, he'd have a negative score. People would see that and realize he's an issue if they're new to the forum. I think it might depend on what those negative reactions are. If anyone abuses them we could just ban them. 

13 hours ago, Beetlejuice said:

Is Patine planning on joining this forum?

Probably. I'll let him know about it when he inevitably sends me some complaint about US politics or the old forum (where he is now perm banned). 

• Like 1

After taking some time to reflect on it, I think our current reactions probably cover what needs to be covered.  We could probably even ditch "confused."  If you're actually confused, ask a question.  If you're just using the confused emoticon to disagree, type out your disagreement and engage in a conversation.  If you're just using "confused" to give an eye roll or something...ignore him.

I've always been of the opinion that most trolls do it for the attention, including He Who Shall Not Be Named, and the "confused" reaction (or an angry one or whatever) is just as exciting to them as a thumbs-up.  Don't feed the trolls.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vcczar said:

We could have a disagree reaction that isn't necessarily negative points or anything. 

I do support negative reactions that cost points. For instance, if PoliticalPundit was hit with negative reactions, he'd have a negative score. People would see that and realize he's an issue if they're new to the forum. I think it might depend on what those negative reactions are. If anyone abuses them we could just ban them. 

They did this in the olden 270 days if I recall, I remember seeing people with negative scores.

@DakotaHaleI've downloaded some images for an "Agree" and "Disagree" reaction. I think these should operate as a way to agree or disagree without having to write a lengthy response or write "I agree." Neither should award or take away points since doing so might encourage people to only post things people agree with or discourage people from saying stuff people might disagree with. 

I find these two reactions helpful because I don't always have time to respond to people but I like to know that they've been read. "Agree" is more specific than "Like," which has more global usage. "Disagree" is very neutral and shouldn't hurt anyone's feelings. 

Agree and Disagree also allows one to write a post that is similar to a poll, but it will allow the question and the response area to be entirely in the comment area. One of the downsides to the poll is that one has to scroll down to read an explanation. With "Agree" and "Disagree" one could write a block of text and follow it with, "Do you agree or disagree." 

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

@DakotaHaleI've downloaded some images for an "Agree" and "Disagree" reaction. I think these should operate as a way to agree or disagree without having to write a lengthy response or write "I agree." Neither should award or take away points since doing so might encourage people to only post things people agree with or discourage people from saying stuff people might disagree with. 

I find these two reactions helpful because I don't always have time to respond to people but I like to know that they've been read. "Agree" is more specific than "Like," which has more global usage. "Disagree" is very neutral and shouldn't hurt anyone's feelings. 

Agree and Disagree also allows one to write a post that is similar to a poll, but it will allow the question and the response area to be entirely in the comment area. One of the downsides to the poll is that one has to scroll down to read an explanation. With "Agree" and "Disagree" one could write a block of text and follow it with, "Do you agree or disagree." 

I could support this if the community likes it. Maybe we could get rid of the “thanks” reaction since “like” is basically the same thing.

3 minutes ago, vcczar said:

We could ban exploiters. 

I just think negative reactions could lead to bad blood around here that isn't required. I know I'd be annoyed if someone reacted with 'disagree' and didn't explain themselves in a reply. Definitely taking points from people shouldn't be a thing

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hestia said:

I just think negative reactions could lead to bad blood around here that isn't required. I know I'd be annoyed if someone reacted with 'disagree' and didn't explain themselves in a reply. Definitely taking points from people shouldn't be a thing

I'm not sure why "disagree" is even negative. People disagree with me all the time. If I want to know why, I can ask them. I think agree/disagree are both too neutral to draw out any sort of reaction, positive or negative.