The Political Lounge

What are the best PC Games You've Ever Played?

vcczar

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

Civilization 2

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

all of the Age of Empires/Mythology Series

all the 270 Soft Games (despite their odious, noxious, repugnant developer)

Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds (NOT Star Wars: Battlefronts)

Lord of the Rings: the Battle for Middle-earth 2

Starcraft 1

Warcraft 3

World of Warcraft

Rift

Ultima IV

Baldur's Gate 1 & 2

Icewind Dale 1 & 2

Wasteland (early predecessor to the Fallout games back for the Apple II series, the Tandy 1000/3000/5000, Commodore 64, etc.)

I also liked Sid Meier's Colonization when it was current, but the way it was handled and done rubs me the wrong way in retrospect.

I preferred Ultima 7, parts 1 and 2. I played just about all the Ultimas but only replayed U7. 

39 minutes ago, vcczar said:

What are the best PC Games you've ever played?

Mass Effect Trilogy

Mount and Blade Warband

Assassins Creed Series

Elder Scrolls Series (Mainly Morrowind and Skyrim)

Total War

Deus Ex (2000)

Half Life Series

Crusader Kings 2 

Victoria 2

Sid Meiers Pirates

Black Ops 2

Grand Theft Auto

Batman Arkham City

Edited by Pringles

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

I remember, as kid, a friend of mine bought and played the very first game made for the Elder Scrolls series (the one that most people, even die-hard fans of the series, don't know about and have never played), which was, "Orb of Oblivion," or something like that, which, like Wasteland, was for the Apple II series, the Tandy 1000/3000/5000, Commodore 64, etc.

Wow. I've never even heard of that haha. Even though I didnt grow up with it I've played a bit of Arena and Daggerfall. 

Rimworld

Prison Architect

Crusader Kangs

Project Zomboid

Fallout New Vegas/Fallout 2

Skyrim/STOP! YOU'VE VIOLATED THE LAW! PAY THE COURT A FINE OR SERVE YOUR SENTENCE! YOUR STOLEN GOODS ARE NOW FORFEIT!

BasketballGM/FootballGM

Lichess (if it counts)

And 100 more that I'm forgetting

Big RPG guy obviously

11 hours ago, DakotaHale said:

Rimworld

Prison Architect

Crusader Kangs

Project Zomboid

Fallout New Vegas/Fallout 2

Skyrim/STOP! YOU'VE VIOLATED THE LAW! PAY THE COURT A FINE OR SERVE YOUR SENTENCE! YOUR STOLEN GOODS ARE NOW FORFEIT!

BasketballGM/FootballGM

Lichess (if it counts)

And 100 more that I'm forgetting

Big RPG guy obviously

My big RPG phase was from when I was about age 10 to age 22. For whatever reason, I can't get into them so much anymore. Suikoden II, Ultima VII, and Dragon Force were my favorite RPGs. I might be missing one or two that are their equals. 

1 hour ago, Patine said:

Ultima VII was not at all a favourite in the Ultima series for me, as it was really the first one where the open world adventuring feel and actually creating your own character, (the tendency of Ultima I-VI) ended, and the character more or less created for you (you only decided their name, gender, and their appearance from a very few select portraits) and the much more railroaded plotline (the problems I've mentioned as traits of most modern computer RPG's that I tend to greatly dislike).

It seemed fairly open-world to me. I liked that you could grab almost anything on a table. The storyline was a amazing. The sequel (Ultima VII part 2) was also amazing. 

On 5/29/2021 at 2:26 PM, vcczar said:

Age of Empires I and II (with expansions as well)

Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds

Star Wars: Empire at War (with expansion as well)

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Hearts of Iron IV (Expansions)

Europa Universalis IV (Expansions)

Axis and Allies

Edited by jvikings1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Patine said:

Star Wars: Empire at War is ALRIGHT, but the expansion is so un-Star Wars in theme, and doesn't even recognize the canonical crime cartel elements (like the Hutts and stuff - who are just trifling enemy on the path to power in the official campaign), but creates a whole, new fabricated crime cartel with no lore precedent at all - like the franchise novel, "Shadows of the Empire," also annoyingly did.

Fair point. I enjoyed it because I would always crush my brothers using the crime syndicate because it is incredibly overpowered haha.

Though I do wish there was a more updated game along this concept that would stick to canon (the OT and PT at least)

On 5/29/2021 at 8:26 PM, vcczar said:

Medieval II Total War

Empire Total War

Napoleon Total War

Shogun 2 Total War

Football/Basketball GM

EA Fußball Manager 2013 (actually a Soccer game)

Tour de France Manager

Assassins Creed series (especially II)

Grand Theft Auto series (especially Liberty City Stories, GTA IV and V)

Out of the Park Baseball 21

The Political Process

Take Command - 2nd Manassas

All Fifa/NBA/NFL/NHL/Formula 1 games for Playstation 3

Lord of the Rings - The Third Age

Pokémon Firered/Leafgreen

Lego Star Wars/Harry Potter

I am sure I forgot some, but these are the most memorable. The order is pretty random.

I must confess, having actually tried, I came to dislike the Total War base game engine. They had a few very good and innovative ideas, but they were unfortunately shackled to a game engine I came to find virtually unplayable.

I never had any issues with them. On the contrary I enjoy the stable performance of these games.

Games like Heats of Iron or Europa Universalis are those which are running slowly at my computer.

Okay I don't do a lot of PC Gaming but these are the ones that I routinely enjoy (small list)

Europa Universalis 4

Wizard101/Pirate101

Town of Salem

Civilization 5/6

Hearts of Iron 4

Political Process

Prime Minister Infinity (not President Infinity because ick)

...Minecraft (sorry it's a childhood thing lol)

LEGO Harry Potter

It's not compatibility with my computer, or lag, or constant errors, I'm talking about. It's the setup, interface, and mechanisms of gameplay - the actual way the game is arranged and played, as opposed to other RTS or TBS games out there.

I find Total War much better than most RTS games but I know what you mean. I prefer the way the engines are in older TW's if I'm being honest. Once Empire Total War came out they moved to the warscape engine. Which was riddled with bugs and slowed combat down a bit. When you charge other units you notice that individual fights between individual people in a unit are only 1 on 1. Just the way the engine works sadly. Cavalry charges don't feel so *epic* if that makes sense. Go take a look at Rome 1 cavalry charges and watch individual fights. You'll see people getting stomped on, flying up when an elephant charges at them, and 4 Hastati ganging up on 1 Gaulish Tribesman or soemthing lol.

• Like 1

Just now, Patine said:

It's not compatibility with my computer, or lag, or constant errors, I'm talking about. It's the setup, interface, and mechanisms of gameplay - the actual way the game is arranged and played, as opposed to other RTS or TBS games out there.

I see. 

Well, I don't know I like the whole package but maybe it's because Medieval II was one of the earliest (non-online) games I have played. I got familiar with very early.

By the way, I've acquired the Battle for Middle-Earth games just last year or so and haven't had much time to play them. But as a LotR-Fan I needed them in my collection.

1 minute ago, Pringles said:

I find Total War much better than most RTS games but I know what you mean. I prefer the way the engines are in older TW's if I'm being honest. Once Empire Total War came out they moved to the warscape engine. Which was riddled with bugs and slowed combat down a bit. When you charge other units you notice that individual fights between individual people in a unit are only 1 on 1. Just the way the engine works sadly. Cavalry charges don't feel so *epic* if that makes sense. Go take a look at Rome 1 cavalry charges and watch individual fights. You'll see people getting stomped on, flying up when an elephant charges at them, and 4 Hastati ganging up on 1 Gaulish Tribesman or soemthing lol.

Your description makes me want to start the game(s) again 😄 

22 minutes ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

Medieval II Total War

Empire Total War

Napoleon Total War

Shogun 2 Total War

Football/Basketball GM

EA Fußball Manager 2013 (actually a Soccer game)

Tour de France Manager

Assassins Creed series (especially II)

Grand Theft Auto series (especially Liberty City Stories, GTA IV and V)

Out of the Park Baseball 21

The Political Process

Take Command - 2nd Manassas

All Fifa/NBA/NFL/NHL/Formula 1 games for Playstation 3

Lord of the Rings - The Third Age

Pokémon Firered/Leafgreen

Lego Star Wars/Harry Potter

I am sure I forgot some, but these are the most memorable. The order is pretty random.

I forgot Tropico 4 

1 minute ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

Cool, I've played it as well. Just a few weeks ago I wanted to play it again, but it seemed to load for an eternity. Is it still up?

Yes! I usually have to use my hot spot because it doesn't agree with my WiFi. 

• Thanks 1

Flash Games (I know these are not exactly "PC games", but flash games are too near and dear to my heart to skimp over. This and Windows 7 helped define my childhood, and it's heartbreaking to see Flash get discontinued.)

Team Fortress 2 (This game was my entry point into PC gaming. 2017 being when I started.) 

image.thumb.png.d207538bdbc46795176b6b66246aa315.png

(and I continue 624 hours on.)

Victoria 2 (It wasn't the first Paradox game I played, but it was the first Paradox I ever knew about. Would watch Shen play it. Nice to see 3 come out, and I hope it says true to the core of Victoria.)

Hearts of Iron IV (First Paradox game I played, originally pirated it until I eventually bought it legit.)

The Political Process (The best PolSim out there really.)

Doom 93 (Never gets old, and the modding community stays strong.)

Duke Nukem 3D (Fast-paced and action packed. Duke's witty lines never gets old either. Soundtrack is great, PSX version being the best imo.)

Left 4 Dead 2 (I should play this more. This was when Valve was at its peak.)

Half Life (Simply amazing.)

Town of Salem (This game I haven't touched in a while, but it can be fun. Also real bad. Kinda cringe sometimes too.)

Prime Minister Infinity (PI is trash lmao)

L.A. Noire (I played the Switch port of it but its on P.C. so I'd say its counts. Great story and characters. Really a one of kind besides Disco Elysium maybe.)

Fallout New Vegas (Pirated on PC but have a legit console version, the best Fallout. Deserves the praise it gets.)

Battlefield 1942 (What we need in the modern age of gaming.)

Political Machine 2008 (The best Pol Machine, too bad you can't really get it anywhere.)

and probably much more I'm forgetting. 

This is going to be an incomplete list

Best PC games of my childhood: 

• Ultima 7, parts 1 and 2
  • Police Quest
  • Quest for Glory series
  • Civil War General I and II
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Serrated Scalpel
  • Mobsters
  • Sim City 1000 (or was it 2000 or 3000?)
  • Madden football series
  • Civilization II
  • Pharaoh
  • Prince of Persia
  • Pirates
  • Oregon Trail

Best PC games of my adulthood:

• Sherlock Holmes series by Frogwares
  • Almost all the Paradox Games, especially Europa Universalis, Crusader Kings, and Victoria
  • President Infinity
  • Grand Tactician Civil War (this is a little predictive since it is still new and needs some updates)
  • Uncharted Waters Online
  • Guild II: Renaissance
  • Nantucket
  • Orbi Universo
  • Out of the Park Baseball
  • Principia (despite being unfinished and probably never finished)
  • Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIV
  • Twilight Struggle

I feel like I'm leaving some games out. There's like 50 games I almost put on this list, but I chose only those that I see myself replaying about once a year or so. I do not include console games that I've enjoyed. 

The Sims series, I even play the Sims 4 (with all the packs) a lot to this day

Every OOTP game, and Football sim game (DDS,PFS,Front office football)

Victoria 2 

Europa 3,4

Hearts of Iron 4

Tom Clancys Rainbow Six Siege

The Political Process political game wise

The Total war series, with Medieval 2 being my favorite

Mount and Blade Warband + Bannerlord

The Anno Series

City Skylines

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

This is going to be an incomplete list

Best PC games of my childhood: 

• Ultima 7, parts 1 and 2
  • Police Quest
  • Quest for Glory series
  • Civil War General I and II
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Serrated Scalpel
  • Mobsters
  • Sim City 1000 (or was it 2000 or 3000?)
  • Madden football series
  • Civilization II
  • Pharaoh
  • Prince of Persia
  • Pirates
  • Oregon Trail

Best PC games of my adulthood:

• Sherlock Holmes series by Frogwares
  • Almost all the Paradox Games, especially Europa Universalis, Crusader Kings, and Victoria
  • President Infinity
  • Grand Tactician Civil War (this is a little predictive since it is still new and needs some updates)
  • Uncharted Waters Online
  • Guild II: Renaissance
  • Nantucket
  • Orbi Universo
  • Out of the Park Baseball
  • Principia (despite being unfinished and probably never finished)
  • Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIV
  • Twilight Struggle

I feel like I'm leaving some games out. There's like 50 games I almost put on this list, but I chose only those that I see myself replaying about once a year or so. I do not include console games that I've enjoyed. 

Civil War General 😮 Sounds interesting. Since you like Grand Tactician I think you may also like the Ultimate General series. 

Ultimate General: Civil War to be specific.

Just now, Pringles said:

Civil War General 😮 Sounds interesting. Since you like Grand Tactician I think you may also like the Ultimate General series. 

Ultimate General: Civil War to be specific.

Civil War General II was amazing because you could create your own maps and create your own units and generals. It was also easy to do. I liked that the game is turn-based. Grand Tactician is graphically amazing but it isn't turn-based. However, you can pause whenever you wish. 

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

I should add that AMPU will be the best PC game once it is out. It will be on all of your lists. 

I am confident it will be sir! 😄