The Political Lounge

Republicans I At Least Mildly Respect

vcczar

Let me preface this by stating that I greatly disagree with establishment Republican foreign policy and their military interventionist philosophy. Despite this, I have a growing respect for these Republicans for showing a spine in the Trump Era by having the guts to go against Trump's cult followers. Some of these have been more patriotic and courageous than others: 

• John Kasich
  • Mitt Romney
  • Larry Hogan
  • Charlie Baker
  • Phil Scott
  • Ben Sasse
  • the late John McCain
  • Paul Ryan
  • George W Bush
  • the late GHW Bush
  • Lynn Cheney
  • Lisa Murkowski
  • Susan Collins
  • Colin Powell
  • John Bolton
  • John F Kelly
  • Jeff Flake
  • Bob Corker
  • Joe Walsh 
  • Bill Weld
  • Justin Amash
  • Arnold Schwarzenegger
  • George Pataki
  • Rick Snyder
  • John Paul Stevens
  • Joe Scarborough
  • Any any other GOP member I'm forgetting that has consistently opposed Trumpism.

7 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Let me preface this by stating that I greatly disagree with establishment Republican foreign policy and their military interventionist philosophy. Despite this, I have a growing respect for these Republicans for showing a spine in the Trump Era by having the guts to go against Trump's cult followers. Some of these have been more patriotic and courageous than others: 

• John Kasich
  • Mitt Romney
  • Larry Hogan
  • Charlie Baker
  • Phil Scott
  • Ben Sasse
  • the late John McCain
  • Paul Ryan
  • George W Bush
  • the late GHW Bush
  • Lynn Cheney
  • Lisa Murkowski
  • Susan Collins
  • Colin Powell
  • John Bolton
  • John F Kelly
  • Jeff Flake
  • Bob Corker
  • Joe Walsh 
  • Bill Weld
  • Justin Amash
  • Arnold Schwarzenegger
  • George Pataki
  • Rick Snyder
  • John Paul Stevens
  • Joe Scarborough
  • Any any other GOP member I'm forgetting that has consistently opposed Trumpism.

I'm sure my list would be much larger but as you are a Progressive, I'm glad to see you respect all of these people. I like all of them for the most part. (Maybe not Justin Amash but that's a separate issue.) 😛 

I kind of forgot about Joe Scarborough for a bit, but I like him a lot as well 😄 

Joe and I share a favorite President; Harry Truman!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, vcczar said:

• John Kasich
  • Mitt Romney
  • Larry Hogan
  • Charlie Baker
  • Phil Scott
  • Ben Sasse
  • the late John McCain
  • Paul Ryan
  • George W Bush
  • the late GHW Bush
  • Lynn Cheney
  • Lisa Murkowski
  • Susan Collins
  • Colin Powell
  • John Bolton
  • John F Kelly
  • Jeff Flake
  • Bob Corker
  • Joe Walsh 
  • Bill Weld
  • Justin Amash
  • Arnold Schwarzenegger
  • George Pataki
  • Rick Snyder
  • John Paul Stevens
  • Joe Scarborough

Bolded the ones I agree with. 

Edited by themiddlepolitical

6 minutes ago, Patine said:

You know, I personally believe many American politicians would be a lot better leaders and statespeople if political parties were abolished. That is, every candidate was non-partisan, mandatorily. No primary nominations, no House or Senate majority or minority leaders or whips (and a strictly neutral Speaker to moderate, like in Westminster systems), and no party fundraising, campaign organization, advertising, or platform. And no big money in election campaigns. Just a thought...

Didn't see this one coming lol

• Haha 2

Just now, Patine said:

What? Usually I call for a MULTI-PARTY system to be enabled in the U.S. through the end of rigged, non-free-and-fair elections. I don't recall proposing a fully NON-PARTISAN solution, before. So, what's so funny? And this question is obviously to @Hestia, as well.

Just now, Patine said:

What? Usually I call for a MULTI-PARTY system to be enabled in the U.S. through the end of rigged, non-free-and-fair elections. I don't recall proposing a fully NON-PARTISAN solution, before. So, what's so funny? And this question is obviously to @Hestia, as well.

Y'all are boring today | Page 207 | ShotTalk.com

Just now, DakotaHale said:

I love that movie so much

I've been in a huge American Pyscho mood lately...

Do you like Huey Lewis and The News? 😛 

Just now, Patine said:

Ah, I see. Fair enough.

I don't click on the vast majority of YouTube videos that aren't official music videos, but if the Orange Ogre is on the link image, I'm certainly not.

I think the biggest time you ever shocked me was when you said you were a Charlie Daniels fan. Took me off guard.

I think the biggest time you ever shocked me was when you said you were a Charlie Daniels fan. Took me off guard.

The devil went down to GEORGIA CHARLIE DANIELS?

• Like 1

Just now, Patine said:

I linked the official video to, "Devil Went Down to Georgia," last year on another forum when the polls were still being counted in Georgia. 😛

Such a good song... and good fiddle playing. 😁

GOD DAMNIT I LOOK LIKE A POSER NOW HOW DID I FORGET THE MOST MEMORABLE QUOTE IN THE MOVIE

I was about to say 😛 

Just now, Patine said:

I've never watched this movie. It's certainly not my sort of film, or genre, or anything, really.

You must be a strict Sci-Fi only movie watcher then eh? I like dark movies, and despite all the killing and craziness in American Pyscho, it's pretty damn good. Bale is hilarious. He could've pulled off Joker in the Dark Knight had he not been Batman! 😛 

2 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

Cool it with the anti-semetic remarks

I'd add a laughing emoji but I'm out of reactions damn it. 😛 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Patine said:

That's a term that really needs replacing with something more concise and accurate, especially in a day and age when Arabs (also a Semitic people speaking a Semitic language) are big among those slapped with that label. And, of course, the early 19th Century Hungarian psychologist/sociologist who coined it was highly guilty of the sin it describes. And the baggage of it being used more for politicized attack that calling out genuine bigotry highly stains it credibility, too. Believe it or not, even NYRepublican agreed that a new and accurate term is needed.

Oh yeah I forgot he was Jewish.