• Alan Turing
  9. 9. Stephenson vs. Alfred

• George Stephenson
    • Alfred the Great
  10. 10. The Unknown Warrior vs. Isambard Kingdom Brunei

• The Unknown Warrior
    • Isambard Kingdom Brunei

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/03/2021 at 11:31 AM

Man, it would be a nightmare if Aleister Crowley ever wins this...

Just now, Patine said:

I'm not at all fond of this random paired from a 100 greatest list and narrowing down format. I recall someone back on the 270soft forums did that with present and past greatest world leaders in this format, including giving them arbitrary (and, HIGHLY disputable, disagreeable, and obvious and blatantly in their bias) collegiate sports "seed numbers." I will have to decline this exercise, I'm afraid.

What format would you prefer? Don't forget to provide solutions and alternatives when criticizing something. Otherwise, it's just a rant.

• Like 2

Just now, Patine said:

I'm not at all fond of this random paired from a 100 greatest list and narrowing down format. I recall someone back on the 270soft forums did that with present and past greatest world leaders in this format, including giving them arbitrary (and, HIGHLY disputable, disagreeable, and obvious and blatantly in their bias) collegiate sports "seed numbers." I will have to decline this exercise, I'm afraid.

Q: How would you do it?

10 minutes ago, Patine said:

I believe defaulting to the term, "rant," for every criticism that immediately present an alternative is, itself, unproductive, and, in fact, gets a bit insulting, with all due respect. A rant is something quite specific, not as generic as you're making it out to be. What I did was more of a low-grade gripe, at best. Not a rant. I do understand the limits of poll entries on this forum engine, and while I do not have an IMMEDIATE solution, off-hand, I still feel the current set-up will end up with wonky results, like the aforementioned example on the 270soft Forum did. But I was not, "ranting," and I'd appreciate the term not become genericized in a blatantly insulting and disingenuous way.

It might be more helpful if you refrain from criticism until you provide a solution or alternative that would be preferable to you. In this way, we can better accommodate and not take what you say as unconstructive criticism or insult. 

7 minutes ago, Patine said:

I can agree to that if you agree to not get in the habit of genericizing the use of terms like, "rant," beyond their proper definitions to become, themselves, unconstructive criticism and insults. Do we have an agreement, here?

Certainly. I'll hold you to this agreement.