The Political Lounge

AMPU Parties

AMPU Parties  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which party are you most interested in playing as, assuming you play AMPU from 1774-2024?

• The Red Party (Federalists, National Republicans, Whigs, Republicans)
    • The Blue Party (Anti-Federalists, Jeffersonian Republicans, Democrats)
  2. 2. Which ideology will you aim for when building your faction (Ideology is determined by the politicians you draft)

• LW Populists - Sanders, Ocasio-Cortez, etc.
    • Progressives - Warren, Inslee, etc.
    • Liberals - Obama, Hillary Clinton, Pelosi, etc.
    • Moderates - Manchin, McCain, etc.
    • Conservatives - Rubio, GW Bush, etc.
    • Traditionalists - Cruz, Sessions, etc.
    • RW Pop - Trump, Taylor-Greene, etc.

My excitement is through the roof, I just want this already 😄 ! 

Pre 1968 I would say reds

Post 68 blue

Something I would love to do with the Blues though is play the Jennings Bryan era, making it a populist powerhouse.

I think building a moderate coalition will give you a good amount of reach, and make the country the most happy- though I am going for progressives. 

• Like 2

I will be excited to play anti federalists and democratic Republicans, along with Jacksonians. After that I'm solid Republican for the rest of the game probably. 

I'll never play a cringe Federalist or Whig. 

Ill also be playing mostly moderates with some conservatives. 😄

Edited by Pringles

For the first 40 years of the game all I know is I want a Benjamin Franklin and Henry Clay as pres.

I'd probably go for a Democratic Prog/LWPopulist strategy most of the time, especially if I plan to commit to a full 1774-2024 play though. From the time Thomas Paine retires up until the late 19th century is going to be rough, but the later eras will probably make up for that. 

Just now, MrPotatoTed said:

Hahaha.  Just keep in mind by the time Washington is President, Benjamin Franklin is dying of very old age

Yes I know, keeps things interesting ;) 

50 minutes ago, themiddlepolitical said:

For the first 40 years of the game all I know is I want a Benjamin Franklin and Henry Clay as pres.

Cringe Henry Clay. 😛

I'm genuinely intrigued on how we have so many Federalists here.

@ConservativeElector2 and @MrPotatoTed to a lesser extent, are Federalists turned Republicans.

I say that for actinguy because I know he likes Reagan and Bush. But after Trump era ya became a solid Democrat. (Understandable) 

@Dobs and I are more similar as I know we're both Anti Federalists/Democratic Republicans turned Republican.

7 minutes ago, Pringles said:

Cringe Henry Clay. 😛

@ConservativeElector2 and @MrPotatoTed to a lesser extent, are Federalists turned Republicans.

I say that for actinguy because I know he likes Reagan and Bush. But after Trump era ya became a solid Democrat. (Understandable) 

@Dobs and I are more similar as I know we're both Anti Federalists/Democratic Republicans turned Republican.

I will def be trying and playing them all since there is so much variety

I more than likely will do a playthrough of both factions, so really you can disregard my answer to the first question. As for the second option, the moderates sound fun to do. Especially in the modern day. The replayability in this game sure seems strong.

1 hour ago, Pringles said:

Cringe Henry Clay. 😛

I would have probably been a Federalist until Jefferson's 2nd term and then a Jeffersonian Republican, mainly for expanded suffrage. I'd then be a National Republican and then a Conscience Whig (anti-slavery). I'd probably be a Radical Republican through the Civil War and Reconstruction, and then a Liberal Republican. I'd switch to the Democrats with WJ Bryan, then jump to Progressives Teddy Roosevelt and La Follette. I'd go back to Democrats with Al Smith in 1928 and stay with them to the present. La Follette would be the last 3rd party I would have supported as both 1924 major candidates were conservative. Teddy Roosevelt would have been the last Republican I would have supported.

6 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I would have probably been a Federalist until Jefferson's 2nd term and then a Jeffersonian Republican, mainly for expanded suffrage. I'd then be a National Republican and then a Conscience Whig (anti-slavery). I'd probably be a Radical Republican through the Civil War and Reconstruction, and then a Liberal Republican. I'd switch to the Democrats with WJ Bryan, then jump to Progressives Teddy Roosevelt and La Follette. I'd go back to Democrats with Al Smith in 1928 and stay with them to the present. La Follette would be the last 3rd party I would have supported as both 1924 major candidates were conservative. Teddy Roosevelt would have been the last Republican I would have supported.

I would have been a Democratic-Republican from the start and then likely a Free Soil Democrat up until the Civil War at which point I’d join the GOP and remain with it for the rest. Granted I wouldn’t really be a solidly Republican voter until around 1908 as I’d switch over for a few Bourbon Democrats like Cleveland in particular. After which I don’t go back to the Democrats until 2020.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dobs said:

I would have been a Democratic-Republican from the start and then likely a Free Soil Democrat up until the Civil War at which point I’d join the GOP and remain with it for the rest. Granted I wouldn’t really be a solidly Republican voter until around 1908 as I’d switch over for a few Bourbon Democrats like Cleveland in particular. After which I don’t go back to the Democrats until 2020.

We'd be the same party 1804-1824; 1860-1876; 1904; 2020.

5 minutes ago, Dobs said:

Similar here. I'd straight up vote Democrat/Anti-Fed/DR every election until 1856-1860 probably. At that point I would flip back to the Democrats on occasion. (General Scott, Tilden, Cleveland.) The rest is GOP and until we hit the Great Depression.

Edited by Pringles

3 hours ago, Timur said:

Are there any third options at certain periods?

If I remember correctly, there's a mechanic to allow a person to run a third party candidate, under very specific circumstances, however the third parties can only play spoiler, and there's no way for a third party/independent President to be elected.

1 hour ago, WVProgressive said:

If I remember correctly, there's a mechanic to allow a person to run a third party candidate, under very specific circumstances, however the third parties can only play spoiler, and there's no way for a third party/independent President to be elected.

The rules have continued to adapt on a wide scale to the point that "I" don't even remember if it's possible right now, and I'm the one currently in charge of rewriting the rules.  Haha.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

The rules have continued to adapt on a wide scale to the point that "I" don't even remember if it's possible right now, and I'm the one currently in charge of rewriting the rules.  Haha.

1 hour ago, WVProgressive said:

5 hours ago, Timur said:

Are there any third options at certain periods?

A third party can win states, so technically they could win an election, but it's probably less than 1% chance.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pringles said:

Cringe Henry Clay. 😛

I'm not sure whether I like Reagan specifically -- I was only 5 when he left office, so I have no contemporary point of view, and I'm not sure enough time has passed to have a historical point of view.

I remember specifically not understanding what a Republican or a Democrat was until 9/11, which happened exactly one month after my 18th birthday.  That event made me a strong Republican -- though I did question why Bush would bother to waste time worrying about preventing gay marriage.  I wasn't even necessarily pro gay marriage yet, it was just more "Hey, we're in the middle of a couple of wars right now, so I kind of feel like your time would be better served elsewhere?"

By the end of 2008, though I still had (and have) great respect for Bush and still believed (and believe) in the Iraq War, I was receptive to Barack Obama.  I could see his strengths and where he might be a good President.  But I was also receptive to McCain's argument that Obama didn't have enough experience.  I was torn between the two candidates, legitimately undecided...until McCain chose Palin as his VP, completely unravelling the experience argument.  From the moment Palin became VP, I was never a Republican again.  

But I wasn't a Democrat yet -- I was a moderate independent.  So even though I voted for Obama in 2008, I was open to replacing him in 2012.  But by that point, I was strongly pro gay marriage and Romney was a dinosaur on that front, so I voted for Obama again.

Even as recently as 2016, I was still clinging to my independence so strongly that my shortlist included not just JEB! but also Christie and even Rick Perry.

But then Trump came along, and fuuuuuck that.

Even though I'm not a progressive, I can't imagine ever voting for anyone who isn't a Democrat ever again.